Thanks and good luck Ray McCallum

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Strong indication that Andre Miller is signing for the minimum?

Waiving Stockton and trading Ray means the Kings possibly have $5M+ left to spend.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hoho -- ok, first thanks Ray. Solid kid, going to a great situation.

Now us: we cleared a salary here, got a pick out of it too. We wouldn't need to clear it if we weren't making a move for another FA. Wonder if Stockton will survive until our opening summer league game?

Glad he's going somewhere like San Antonio. No room for him with DC/Rondo/Miller? Love that guy. He'll get minutes for the Spurs which should be awesome.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wasted talent here. His development stalled a bit last season, but it's tough to blame him with all the chaos.

This seems like a move forced by Karl's hand. Feel the Kings will regret this in a couple of years, since Spurs know how to develop guys.
All in for the winning now.

And you really don't regret backup PGs years down the line. I could see him being adequate for Joseph's role, but then again Toronto went completely insane on that contract.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I liked Ray, but I still had a feeling this was coming. As the third PG after Rondo and Collison there wasn't any room on the team for him anymore. If he stayed in Sacramento he was only going to get garbage-time minutes. Clearing his salary for a second round pick keeps us ahead of the game in free agency with our remaining needs to fill and gives him a chance to go to a team that'll have minutes for him. Good luck in San Antonio Ray, I'm sure you're going to love playing for Coach Pop.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

And you really don't regret backup PGs years down the line. I could see him being adequate for Joseph's role, but then again Toronto went completely insane on that contract.
If we are going to have a vet 3rd PG I agree. He's not really going to develop here and we can't waste the spot on him, but he seems like exactly the kind of guy that San Antonio can afford to develop in their consistent reloading efforts. Generally they prefer to stash them overseas where they actually play, but I imagine Ray will work out fine for them.

Good luck Ray, he will learn a lot but still hard to see him getting minutes over Parker and Mills. Also indicates we have another signing coming soon.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

To whatever extent that may be true, I think that fans of all teams should be skeptical whenever San Antonio is willing to trade for one of your guys.

He had some good games vs the Spurs and he always came off as a "Spur". I clearly remember telling myself if this guy was a Spur he could be a solid backup. Oh well, I guess that all but confirms Andre will be back.

I can see them keeping Stockton as the 4th PG with Miller coming in as the 3rd PG. If we do keep Stockton & sign Miller to a veteran minimum deal, we still have 2 roster positions open. With $4,619,956 in cap space we have left, we really need to bring in a PF. I still think our first options at PF should be Teletovic, J. Smith, J. Hill, Gooden, Boozer, & Brand.

Once we have a PF, I'd recommend either a SF, PF, or C to round out the 15 man rotation. SFs to target would be D. Wright, McDaniels, C. Butler, R. Jefferson, Babbit, J. Taylor, or Turkoglu. PFs to target would be Hansbrough, Acy, or R. Evans. Cs to target would be Aldrich or Withey.

PG - Rondo/Collison/Miller/Stockton
SG - McLemore/Belinelli/Anderson
SF - Gay/Casspi
PF - Cousins/J. Smith or Teletovic/Moreland
C - Koufos/Cauley-Stein/Aldrich

OR

PG - Rondo/Collison/Miller/Stockton
SG - McLemore/Belinelli/Anderson
SF - Gay/Casspi
PF - Cousins/J. Smith or Teletovic/Evans/Moreland
C - Koufos/Cauley-Stein

OR