[Game] Kings @ Jazz, 11/02/21 6pm Pacific 9pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy hield is the best shooter on the team. He shot the ball 2 more times than harkless. 5 players shot the ball more than buddy. Just a reminder to all you people that want buddy traded. Without him we are 0-7 maybe 1-6
But with that said, Buddy was very much playing within the offense. This is the kind of game you want from Buddy every single night; the issue is that we also expect 40 points and supposed good defense (in case anyone's forgotten, lots of fans were excited about Hali's defensive instincts) from our starting guards but they're averaging closer to 30 while giving up 40-50. Mitchell giving you anything more than 10-12ppg should be considered a win.

Yeah, thought he looked a little more lively in the second half but in the first half he was struggling to get around Ingles. To his credit, he at least facilitated tonight,
Mitchell was using craft to shake Davion. Pivots, hesi’s, spins, physicality. Fox really needs that in his game. He’s one speed and straight line. The added muscle doesn’t help if he’s still trying to out quick everyone.

His shooting is a byproduct of that. He’s unbalanced, not really planting before shooting.

The problem is we have too many guards to juggle, and Walton is pretty much forced to play at the end the one that is playing the worst. Hali, Buddy and Mitchell cycling in and out of the lineup the last 5 minutes and it always feels like we have the wrong combo in there.

I keep remembering how unfortunate it was for us that the Buddy to LA deal did not go through. I like the way Buddy is playing, but that would have really balanced the roster.

The problem is we have too many guards to juggle, and Walton is pretty much forced to play at the end the one that is playing the worst. Hali, Buddy and Mitchell cycling in and out of the lineup the last 5 minutes and it always feels like we have the wrong combo in there.

I keep remembering how unfortunate it was for us that the Buddy to LA deal did not go through. I like the way Buddy is playing, but that would have really balanced the roster.
All boils down to how Fox plays. If Fox gives us 25/8 a night we'd be really good. With Kuzma instead of Buddy right now and Fox in a funk we'd be a lot worse off.

Not really. The 3-guard lineups have largely been fine and we're getting really good production right now from Buddy/Barnes/Holmes with Hali/Mitchell working their way back in. The issue is our 25/7 star is playing significantly below his talent level. I mean we were right freaking there with the best team in basketball on the road with Fox playing bad again.... the supporting cast is not the problem right now.

I always think it’s a scheduled loss and as long as we keep it close I’m happy…and I’m never happy. This was winnable despite fox playing like poop the first half. Rebounding was the culprit this game. Seemed like every time we would play great def, they get the offensive rebound and hit a 3 on us.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I always think it’s a scheduled loss and as long as we keep it close I’m happy…and I’m never happy. This was winnable despite fox playing like poop the first half. Rebounding was the culprit this game. Seemed like every time we would play great def, they get the offensive rebound and hit a 3 on us.
Right. On the bright side, Fox had 13 points in the second half and played pretty solid defense for most of the game aside from that one play where Conley sandwiched him into a pick and sent him flying and it oddly feels like fouling out like he did might help him get his groove back?

and a fair amount of those rebounds were the long variety, and those seem to favor the offense.

I think there were some bright spots in this game. If Fox gets going, we find a rhythm and we face an easier schedule it's not hard to imagine us playing at or slightly above .500.

Do this Kings team ever learn how to play pick and roll defense? Seriously, it's too easy for the team to pick and pop. This is a basic defense and is a matter of being aware and not letting guys like Gobert to screen you by stepping up closer to the dribbler? I don't ever see the Kings player do that...why do you always allow the big man to screen you? Why not fight over it or stay closer to the ball handler, thereby preventing them from screening you? I mean the Kings pick and roll defense is horrendous. Conley and Mitchell can pretty much do a screen and get wide open shot any time, it's terrible. Fox defense is really bad....it's like he's just there practicing...no effort whatsoever.

And I have to mention the coaching at the end when Kings were down by 3pt or 5pts? Why did you want Fox to drive and dish to Barnes and go after Gobert? He's the best defender in the league, why would you want to go at him? Geez, it's just not smart coaching imo. And did you notice that with Haliburton attacking, he seems to make things far more easier to score. I just feel the lack of intelligent in this team prevent team from winning and that start with coaching. You don't stop going to the one that make things work. You don't continue to go to the one that are struggling. You don't keep silent when players are taking bad shots. Walton is just too casual to implement any discipline on this team.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Do this Kings team ever learn how to play pick and roll defense? Seriously, it's too easy for the team to pick and pop. This is a basic defense and is a matter of being aware and not letting guys like Gobert to screen you by stepping up closer to the dribbler? I don't ever see the Kings player do that...why do you always allow the big man to screen you? Why not fight over it or stay closer to the ball handler, thereby preventing them from screening you? I mean the Kings pick and roll defense is horrendous. Conley and Mitchell can pretty much do a screen and get wide open shot any time, it's terrible. Fox defense is really bad....it's like he's just there practicing...no effort whatsoever.

And I have to mention the coaching at the end when Kings were down by 3pt or 5pts? Why did you want Fox to drive and dish to Barnes and go after Gobert? He's the best defender in the league, why would you want to go at him? Geez, it's just not smart coaching imo. And did you notice that with Haliburton attacking, he seems to make things far more easier to score. I just feel the lack of intelligent in this team prevent team from winning and that start with coaching. You don't stop going to the one that make things work. You don't continue to go to the one that are struggling. You don't keep silent when players are taking bad shots. Walton is just too casual to implement any discipline on this team.
Pretty sure Fox had already fouled out at that point which only makes your argument more prudent because it would mean we were trying to score on the inside with all our shooters on the floor for some reason.

Not really. The 3-guard lineups have largely been fine and we're getting really good production right now from Buddy/Barnes/Holmes with Hali/Mitchell working their way back in. The issue is our 25/7 star is playing significantly below his talent level. I mean we were right freaking there with the best team in basketball on the road with Fox playing bad again.... the supporting cast is not the problem right now.
Yes, the three guard line-ups have been fine; however we have 4 guards that should be playing down the stretch (yes, and of course foxIs a major problem right now).

Important to note that Terence got his first DNP-CD of his time as a King tonight.
And Walton is smart enough to know that if your guys are struggling with YOUR gameplan, the quick fix is to cut that rotation down to less player so there is less changeover. In the end it's no different than him blasting Barnes with 18 straight minutes of PT last year. It's a quick fix to a problem that is your main problem and that's HIS system.

Last edited:
Yes, the three guard line-ups have been fine; however we have 4 guards that should be playing down the stretch (yes, and of course foxIs a major problem right now).
And they should since that's the eggs Monte put in the basket here. But in order to be that they have to play into the gimmick of playing 4 guards (and NOT trade off who gets to play PG in the same old setup). And against the Jazz specifically? Why not? Is nobody else WATCHING what's going on in the NBA? Last year in the playoffs the Clippers played PG13 at C and the Jazz got sent packing without much of a thing they could do about it except put Gobert on the bench and Snyder wouldn't do it. The Kings put Barnes at center and what do they do? They attack the best interior defender in the league head on. NO. That's about as bass ackwards as you can get to creating mismatches that work for you. These are mind boggling things that are going to keep coming back to bite this team regardless of how many games they win. Period. Montes team might not work to much success but this is a muck being created systemically. They aren't even building off of what worked last year. Like I said, key indicators like Holmes and his push shot opportunities are glaring. He's being used more as a passer or in the post off of a flash than the middle on the roll.

The only way they win is if Fox regains All Star form. And what better opponent to do it against than Conley, who he routinely has abused. I've been waiting for 30+ points off of 20 shots, 7 rebounds, 9 assists, 3 steals, 1 block and otherwise stellar defensive game from Fox. When will we see it? This game? 5 games from now? 10 games? This season? Ever? As Fox goes, so goes this game and so goes the season.
Perhaps but it wouldn’t have solved we have 3 players who play best with the ball in their hands. Neither Fox, Mitchell or Haliburton are optimized with the other 2 in the line-up.

And they should since that's the eggs Monte put in the basket here. But in order to be that they have to play into the gimmick of playing 4 guards (and NOT trade off who gets to play PG in the same old setup). And against the Jazz specifically? Why not? Is nobody else WATCHING what's going on in the NBA? Last year in the playoffs the Clippers played PG13 at C and the Jazz got sent packing without much of a thing they could do about it except put Gobert on the bench and Snyder wouldn't do it. The Kings put Barnes at center and what do they do? They attack the best interior defender in the league head on. NO. That's about as bass ackwards as you can get to creating mismatches that work for you. These are mind boggling things that are going to keep coming back to bite this team regardless of how many games they win. Period. Montes team might not work to much success but this is a muck being created systemically. They aren't even building off of what worked last year. Like I said, key indicators like Holmes and his push shot opportunities are glaring. He's being used more as a passer or in the post off of a flash than the middle on the roll.
It’s not at all comparable. Kings are much less long on defense and shot worse from defense.

+1

Retaining Luke has been Monte's worst decision so far.

Why do we see these things but our coaching staff doesn't?? Surely Doug Christie has mentioned this to Luke, no? It's just so freaking bizarre that we continue to have a staff so obsessed with dribble handoffs, high post play and trying to recreate the Vlade, Brad Miller and Webber days. It's so sickening, from Brian Skinner, Kenny thomas, Jason Thomspon, Mikki Moore to Bagley. God help us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.