Staying or going? Latest rumors, thoughts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Broad I guess charmichael Dave tweeted about this guy hope this is true

I haven't seen anything regarding Eli Broad and the Kings tweeted anywhere, let alone on Dave's twitter page. That said, Eli Broad and his wife did donate a couple million to Sac State towards the construction of the Broad Fieldhouse a few years back. So, they do have a prior connection with Sacramento.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You can also download different browsers - Firefox, Safari, Google, Internet Explorer - once the Bee blocks me, I open it up in another browser.

With that said, you should support your local paper...;)
My local paper is the Ensenada Gringo Gazzette. Not much in there about the Kings. I can get you the Cruise ship arrival times though.

I haven't seen anything regarding Eli Broad and the Kings tweeted anywhere, let alone on Dave's twitter page. That said, Eli Broad and his wife did donate a couple million to Sac State towards the construction of the Broad Fieldhouse a few years back. So, they do have a prior connection with Sacramento.
Finally, there's an investor whom Lehane described as a "whale," but whom he would not identify because he has had only preliminary discussions with the mayor.

"It's like a first date," he said. "You have a nice bottle of wine and drop them back at the house."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/16/5117663/johnson-will-pitch-case-to-keep.html#storylink=cpy
This would be a whale.

This would be a whale.
Yes it would be. He's #55 on the Forbes 400 with over 6.3 Billion. If Mr. Broad decided to invest with a local ownership group and they were approved, he'd immediately be among the top 3 or 4 richest owners in the NBA.

The "Blue" Whale to be had is Larry Ellison, #3 on the Forbes 400 with over 41 Billion. Too bad he wants a team in San Jose.

Maybe it is Ellison. Larry collects trophy properties all over the country and around the world. Recently purchased more property at Lake Tahoe. Here's list of his digs, although maybe not finished... He also loves to fly his private plane, several of them. No problem jetting in to Sac after work at Oracle HQ in Redwood Shores, catch a Kings game and then spend the night in Tahoe before returning to Bay Area. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203499704576625341289900796.html

Billionaires are known to one up each other. You should read the article about the bigger yacht competition between Jobs and Gates.
Not only that, Eli Broad is a known philanthropist. My guess is, if he is indeed involved, his interest is more about ensuring no wrongs are committed rather than seriously wanting to own an NBA team. He could step in, save the Kings then sell to another Sacramento committed buyer down the line. Skeptics will undoubtedly ask why someone like him would waste their time if they don't really have an interest in the team. But it could be as simple as seeing the situation from afar, realizing it's wrong, having a connection to someone close to the situation (KJ) and wanting to do something about it. Aside from donating to worthy causes, that's often what philanthropist's do.

REMINDER: You cannot copy and paste entire articles from the Sacramento Bee. It is a violation of our FAQs and, more importantly, a very real violation of their copyright. Links are wonderful, entire articles could get us in BIG trouble as newspapers are fighting for their lives as evidenced by the fact they place restrictions on how many times you can view their stuff for free before you have to pay for it.
Ooops, my bad. Won't happen again...

They just showed that KJ/LBJ joking about buying the Kings clip on ESPN during the MIA vs. GS game. Jon Barry said he really hopes someone buys the team and keeps the team in LA, that they have a great fan base and it's the only show in town.

The other commentator mentioned Seattle and how it's looking like more and more of a possibility. Barry responded by saying Seattle has great fans, and that Sonics leaving was a shame, so they should just an expansion team and Kings should stay in Sacramento.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
They just showed that KJ/LBJ joking about buying the Kings clip on ESPN during the MIA vs. GS game. Jon Barry said he really hopes someone buys the team and keeps the team in LA, that they have a great fan base and it's the only show in town.
"LA"? Ouchie.

Status
Not open for further replies.