Sochi Olympics Discussion Thread

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Shouldn't this be in the general sports rather than lounge?

Also, wasn't the snow boarder cross or whatever its called today as a prelude to the opening ceremonies? I know Shaun White pulled out and one of the top snowboarders was injured on the course which was supposed to be awesome/insane depending on whether or not you got hurt riding on it.

Tonight was/is basically a couple of qualifying rounds for snowboarding and figure skating competitions....nothing too crazy....for what it's worth, i enjoyed the coverage.....

NOTE: I am currently visiting family in Texas, so night 1 coverage out here has ended...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Advance warning: We no longer have the "spoiler" tag ability, so if you're not watching the events live you might want to avoid this thread until the next day. In the past, we've had some people comment on events as they're happening live, which spoils it for anyone not in a position to do so.

Advance warning: We no longer have the "spoiler" tag ability, so if you're not watching the events live you might want to avoid this thread until the next day. In the past, we've had some people comment on events as they're happening live, which spoils it for anyone not in a position to do so.
I will not post any spoilers. I must ask, however, if it would be OK to post a "Must Watch Moment" or "Must Watch Event" without giving away the results? (for example, something like "I think you should watch the Speed Skating coverage because it was interesting"), or something along those lines?????

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I will not post any spoilers. I must ask, however, if it would be OK to post a "Must Watch Moment" or "Must Watch Event" without giving away the results? (for example, something like "I think y

ou should watch the Speed Skating coverage because it was interesting"), or something along those lines?????
My warning was more to the people who might be disappointed by seeing something they didn't want to see. There's no real way to know what different people will consider spoilers. I personally hate the freaking news because they delight in giving the medal results on their early news when the coverage is on a different network (like CBS news at 6 p.m. spoiling the entire event programming yet to be shown on NBC). I'm sure if someone has an objection to something that's been posted, they'll have no problem in saying so. ;)

My warning was more to the people who might be disappointed by seeing something they didn't want to see. There's no real way to know what different people will consider spoilers. I personally hate the freaking news because they delight in giving the medal results on their early news when the coverage is on a different network (like CBS news at 6 p.m. spoiling the entire event programming yet to be shown on NBC). I'm sure if someone has an objection to something that's been posted, they'll have no problem in saying so. ;)
The Olympic Games are very tough in that, unless they are played here in the USA, or up in Canada, or down in Mexico, there is really no way around being exposed to potential spoilers throughout the day. I remember when Michael Phelps was going for his record run, I almost killed myself (not literally, but figuratively) over not checking the web because I knew I would come across a "Michael Phelps Spoiler Alert"....

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
I'm not working right now, I refuse to be spoiled :)

I think this extra day of Olympics is some kind of conspiracy to give Leno an audience for his going away party.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Am watching DVR'd snowboarding. Am in heaven. :)

On a TV show. one Russian official responded to claims of shoddy construction by saying they have a video of someone in a shower pointing the shower head to point at the wall in order to destroy the wall by having the stream pound hour after hour. They had a video cam where? :) Is it streaming on the internet (pun very much intended).

Anyway and hoping this is not political, there is lots of talk about cell phones and computers being hacked. In Russia's modern era of being under threat from multiple terrorists groups, I actually think that's OK and hope it's the security forces doing the hacking. Hack away and let everybody come back home alive.

Bye, bye Jay. He quoted Johnny Carson's last show line and it was more emotional than I thought. The show is in younger hands and in great hands in a tradition of having the best. Go get 'em, Jimmy!

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This stray dog issue is really bothering me and how Russia has gone about handling it. Hits close to home as I've witnessed the issue a number of times on my own travels to that part of the world and there's no easy fix. Many of the stray dogs were originally house pets who've been abandoned. Sweeping them off the streets and putting them in shelters has been tried before but they end up getting put to sleep as those running the shelters look for profit instead. And there's so damn many of them. When I was in that part of the world last winter it wasn't uncommon to go into a supermarket and see 3-4 strays laying in the walkway into the supermarket in an attempt to keep warm(I always offered them food on my way out). They're everywhere, all over the streets, parks, subways, etc., and the money needed to fix the issue generally isn't available.

What pisses me off is the 51B Russia had available and a little could have been spent on this problem yet they decided to handle the issue in a far less humane fashion than building shelters, which I won't go into but an easy google search will fill you in if you're interested.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Am watching DVR'd snowboarding. Am in heaven. :)

On a TV show. one Russian official responded to claims of shoddy construction by saying they have a video of someone in a shower pointing the shower head to point at the wall in order to destroy the wall by having the stream pound hour after hour. They had a video cam where? :) Is it streaming on the internet (pun very much intended).

Anyway and hoping this is not political, there is lots of talk about cell phones and computers being hacked. In Russia's modern era of being under threat from multiple terrorists groups, I actually think that's OK and hope it's the security forces doing the hacking. Hack away and let everybody come back home alive.

Bye, bye Jay. He quoted Johnny Carson's last show line and it was more emotional than I thought. The show is in younger hands and in great hands in a tradition of having the best. Go get 'em, Jimmy!
Well, Russia isn't the only country which enjoys hacking. I'll say no more as politics aren't supposed to be part of this thread.

Aww too bad one of those snow flakes didn't open up to make the Olympic Rings:

The Russian national anthem reminds me of Rocky IV every time. My first time being culturally exposed to it after all.

Last edited:
Besides that glitch I enjoyed it more than London's pop star fest at least from a visual perspective. I remember the winter games in Canada they had a glitch during the torch lighting.

Watching women's figure skating waiting for Yuna (maybe I missed her I just turned to the program). That young Russian girl who just went was a machine.

Besides that glitch I enjoyed it more than London's pop star fest at least from a visual perspective. I remember the winter games in Canada they had a glitch during the torch lighting.

Watching women's figure skating waiting for Yuna (maybe I missed her I just turned to the program). That young Russian girl who just went was a machine.
Yu-Na is not in this completion which is for teams, as ROK did not qualify as a team. Thus, she'll only be competing in the individual figure skating competition at Sochi.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
All things being equal, a 1-0 loss to Sweden was fairly impressive, especially in light of Japan's last showing in Olympic Women's Hockey.

I'm not buying Kubo as "The Wayne Gretzky of Japan," though. That sort of lunacy is right up there with when they were calling Turkoglu "The Michael Jordan of Turkey."

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Wait, how is anybody supposed to know when you're going to watch it if you DVR it?
It would be easy enough to say that the Sweden/Japan game was great and discuss the "Wayne Gretzky of Japan." I have no answer for you but maybe we can come up with some common sense guidelines. It was on in the middle of the night. I woke up at 10 AM. The notes by the dastardly Slim and Tetsujin were probably written in real time because real time for Tetsujin is out of whack with the rest of us and Slim can't sleep. :)

OK, I will avoid the thread. My problem is that I look at posts by when they were posted and not by thread so I actually will have to think and not blame the rest of the world for my problem. :)

BTW, if the U of Minnesota was allowed to compete in the Olympics and keep all their players thus depriving, for example, Finland of the best goalie in the world, they would certainly get at least a bronze and have a chance at winning a gold. They of course would lack experience.

The Japanese women are amazing this year just as the Japanese men amaze me in rugby.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Of course. ;)

The difference between boarding between the men and the women is predictably immense. Bye bye Bode.
Are you talking about snowboarding or skiing and what do you mean anyway? Bye bye Bode? What exactly does that mean? Obviously Bode Miller now 36 is in last go round but still has two more alpine events at Sochi if he wants to compete - Super G and Men's combined. Maybe not favorable for him since no over 34 has ever won metal in an alpine race at any winter Olympics.