Sochi Olympics Discussion Thread

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I spent one year of high school in New Hampshire and we had ski jumping there. I never tried it. It is kind of buried these days but it used to be a highlight of the games before all the freestyle skiing and snowboarding showed up. Remember Eddie the Eagle? And of course "The Agony of Defeat!"
I remember both. Eddie was on a par with some African who couldn't swim who took part in a swim race and almost drowned.

I'd put him more on par with the Jamaican bobsledders?

I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I like skiers pretending to be snowboarders more than I like the snowboarders.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'd put him more on par with the Jamaican bobsledders?

I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I like skiers pretending to be snowboarders more than I like the snowboarders.
I like the women snowboarders. The men? Not so much. Of course, I just watched the ski-snowboarder kid whose pants are 4 sizes too big and I might change my mind. Really? I mean REALLY?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
(I hope this is not a spoiler for Glenn) Watching men's short program skating, the Japanese kid had a record setting performance.
Yeah he did. Unfortunately a lot of that is overshadowed by the controversy surrounding his teammate's choice of music. (The guy who composed it is a total fraud.)

You know I always considered the joke on the people that threw away their Milli Vanilli records in disgust the notion that they thought the music was good to begin with if Rob and Fab really sang it.

Sounds like a funny story. But if it was an appropriate piece for the routine who cares? (Or am I missing something where the song was promoted with the skater?)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You know I always considered the joke on the people that threw away their Milli Vanilli records in disgust the notion that they thought the music was good to begin with if Rob and Fab really sang it.

Sounds like a funny story. But if it was an appropriate piece for the routine who cares? (Or am I missing something where the song was promoted with the skater?)
Yeah, the skater and the Japanese Olympic Committee really publicized the fact he was choosing the song more than was probably necessary and thus the Japanese media was quick to jump on it when the ghost writer came out and announced he had actually written it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
(I hope this is not a spoiler for Glenn) Watching men's short program skating, the Japanese kid had a record setting performance.
I learned my lesson. I'm not going to be watching any skating. I have seen at least 52 years of it and watching hour after hour for the rare event that might seem unique is not worth it. I'd rather watch the luge relay. :)

So the guy picked music made by a guy who is "the Beethoven of Japan". It turns out that not only was the music ghost written BUT the dude isn't even deaf! (In pure Monty Python style, he claims to have "gotten better".)
Oh the Resident Evil composer guy for Capcom.

I'll admit that I didn't get up in the middle of the night to see it, but was happy to see that USA beat Russia in mens hockey. It reminds me of my ...

Great Moment in Watching TV With the Sound Off

I watch a lot of sports on TV with the sound off. I've found I can usually do without the announcers, and it doesn't drive my wife nuts. Sound is ON for Kings games and other important moments, of course.

In 1980, the Miracle on Ice game was played in the afternoon and then shown on tape delay in prime time. I was living in the DC area at the time. I made a point of avoiding any news sources so I wouldn't know how the game came out when I watched it (easier to do in those days). The USA was down a goal at the end of the 2nd period. I remember looking up and seeing the local newsperson teasing the 11:00 news between periods, but since I had the sound off I didn't hear her announce 'amazing hockey upset, details at 11:00'. As a result, I got to have the thrill of the tying goal early in the 3rd, Mike Eruzione's game winner with 10 minutes to go, sweating through the longest 10 minutes of a game EVER, and the joy of Al Michaels' 'Do you believe in miracles?' at the end. There was a huge furor the next day about the newsperson giving away the result.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'll admit that I didn't get up in the middle of the night to see it, but was happy to see that USA beat Russia in mens hockey. It reminds me of my ...

Great Moment in Watching TV With the Sound Off

I watch a lot of sports on TV with the sound off. I've found I can usually do without the announcers, and it doesn't drive my wife nuts. Sound is ON for Kings games and other important moments, of course.

In 1980, the Miracle on Ice game was played in the afternoon and then shown on tape delay in prime time. I was living in the DC area at the time. I made a point of avoiding any news sources so I wouldn't know how the game came out when I watched it (easier to do in those days). The USA was down a goal at the end of the 2nd period. I remember looking up and seeing the local newsperson teasing the 11:00 news between periods, but since I had the sound off I didn't hear her announce 'amazing hockey upset, details at 11:00'. As a result, I got to have the thrill of the tying goal early in the 3rd, Mike Eruzione's game winner with 10 minutes to go, sweating through the longest 10 minutes of a game EVER, and the joy of Al Michaels' 'Do you believe in miracles?' at the end. There was a huge furor the next day about the newsperson giving away the result.
I watched this in real time and given the entire atmosphere (cold war, college vs pros, etc.) this was one of the most incredible moments in USA history. Al Michaels' announcing was the strawberry on top. People seem to forget this wasn't the gold medal game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I actually watched this year's US v Russia match live this morning (even set my alarm to do it). Absolutely loved the excitement. Brought back memories of watching the "miracle" game with my mom.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
8 Olympians have come from Warroad, MN. Really? Population as of 2012 is 1,770. That's very difficult to comprehend. Warroad is a few miles from Canada so maybe there is something in the air or water.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I watched this in real time and given the entire atmosphere (cold war, college vs pros, etc.) this was one of the most incredible moments in USA history. Al Michaels' announcing was the strawberry on top. People seem to forget this wasn't the gold medal game.
I thought it was shown on tape delay? [/Pedant Mode]

:p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Then I watched it in real tape delayed time. I thought it was at Lake Placid.
Unless my memory fails, it was at Lake Placid and it was shown live on the East Coast but, as usual, on tape delay for us here on the West Coast. (We are talking about the "miracle" game, right?)