Signing Bonzi

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
No way the Kings can afford to let Bonzi walk at the end of the season. There are a few sign and trade posiblities that migt beworth it, but as long as the Kings have a front line that combines for about 15 boards they HAVE to Bonzi to pick up the slack. I think this line up works and can BEST be improved at the 4... the real trick is how to improve the 4 spot while retaing the other starters. If Bonzi has to go in order to bring in a big rebounder, and shot blocker with an insie game so be it, Kevin Martin is CLEARLY ready for prime time.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The immdiate future core would, could and should be:

PG -- Mike
OG -- Bonzi
SF -- Ron
6th -- Kevin

and then perhaps rebuild the frontcourt from scratch. Cisco gets squeezed in the above, but not sure there is a reasonable way aorund it. Best shot would be as backup PG, but he has problems bringing it up against pressure.

Makes the trade pawns:

1) Brad, Thomas, Reef, Cisco + the ending Corliss & Potapenko contracts.
2) Our #1 pick of course.
3) MLE of course.

Out of that pile, must fill these holes:

1) Starting PF = athletic shotblocking/rebounding big man, PF most likely, big bonus pts for being able to swing to center
2) Starting C -- if we get the ahtlete/shotblocker. the C should = strong defensive ox to body the big guys? Having a jumper would be a bonus. As would a little post game. Must be decent shotblocker next to main athlete, but not great one.
3) a bench shooter
4) backup PG (maybe the same as #2)
5) backup PF/C. Length would again be handy.

NOTES
-- Assuming the minutes of the proposed "core" work out to Mike=38, Bonzi=32, Ron=38, Kevin=24, that leaves about 12min for a backup PG type. 48 min at the PF spot, and 48min at the C spot, to fill.
-- In a perfect world you come out of things with Reef as the backup PF/C 6th/7th man, and with Cisco around as a utility bencher. Since its not a perfect world, you likely have to burn those resources.

Here would be a dream catch:
C -- Magliore
PF -- KG
06-07 -- Championship

Last edited:
Good points Brick. I really think we need to keep SAR and Cisco off the bench with SAR getting good minutes like he is now behind the PF/C positions. Does anyone think Samson will be a decent PF/C off the bench for us in the near future??? The guy is young, but athletic and needs some playing time, I know not now in the playoffs, but he we just have him rotting away on the bench. I know he is young like Price who is born in 83' = 23 years old. Also it'd be interesting how Monia does next year if we keep him. I really see the Skinner deal to get an expiring contract in Viataly and a good young prospect in Monia who will probably give Cisco a run for his money in the pre-season/next season if we keep both of them.

I don't want to entertain a sign and trade with Bonzi even if we get a PF/C. He is too valuable to us and is absolutely fearless. I love his heart and ability to bash inside against the 7' footers. He has made me a believer this playoffs eventhough I liked him a lot before. Brad/KT/Corliss/Pota.. can all be used as trade bait with some cash thrown in (MLE) to land a good athletic PF/C, backup PG, etc like Brick said. I just wonder if you guys think that Jamal Sampson is in our future and the guy we are looking for now, but still a bit raw but has lots of potential. I think we definately need to give him a lot of work in the off-season and see. I just hate how we let guys rot on the bench. We are so overmatched as almost any team is against the Spurs with their outstanding bench, but we compound this situation by not playing our guys, just relying on a 7-8 man rotation. We should definately use Corliss more, he is a Bonzi basher type that we could use to give Bonzi a little break once in awhile. He also is a very strong veteran leader, although not as skilled as you need down the stretch in a close game.

If I'm honest, even with the way Bonzi has played and how good he and Artest have looked together I'm still nervous about signing him to a long term deal. So much baggage, he's getting older, and I wonder about the contract year effect. At this point, the only players on the Kings I'd consider sacred are Artest and, to a lesser extent, Martin. If the Kings can improve any position through trades, be it PG, PF or C, I'd be for an upgrade. I don't really think the Kings have a core right now, except for Artest.

His "baggage" is from 2 1/2-3 years ago, in a bad situation on BOTH sides (players and non-players). The Memphis stuff is bogus, as explained in a couple articles extensively, in the Bee earlier this year.

If the Kings can improve any position through trades, be it PG, PF or C, I'd be for an upgrade.
Agreed.

nbrans said:
If I'm honest, even with the way Bonzi has played and how good he and Artest have looked together I'm still nervous about signing him to a long term deal. So much baggage, he's getting older, and I wonder about the contract year effect. At this point, the only players on the Kings I'd consider sacred are Artest and, to a lesser extent, Martin. If the Kings can improve any position through trades, be it PG, PF or C, I'd be for an upgrade. I don't really think the Kings have a core right now, except for Artest.

Like many have said, I think we are a PF/C & good backup PG away from going far if not all the way. Look how much we have done with a 6' 7" PF in K9 to claw our way into the playoffs. Ron Artest is our franchise player, no question about that. Bibby is/was, but Ron Artest definately is, Brad is falling out of grace with his poor play as of late especially in this critical playoff series against the NBA champs when we need A games from everyone to have a chance at beating them. Martin is definately our future and we need to keep him. I really think we need to keep Bonzi, and I'd be heartbroken if we didn't, this guy is a warrior and attacks the basket. He is our PF at 6' 5" in the series and has gotten the hoops more times than not against TD and Nazr guarding the basket and this from a guy that is 7" shorter than them and double covered etc. Cannot we sign Bonzi to a 2-3 year deal? I know 5 years might be a little scary. We really have to learn about dishing out 5 or more year contracts with big $ from the Webber situation we had. We are still trying to find places for those multiple pieces that has turned from 3 to 4 (K9, Corliss, Skinner to losing Skinner and getting Vitaly and Sergei).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:

PG -- Mike
OG -- Bonzi
SF -- Ron
6th -- Kevin

and then perhaps rebuild the frontcourt from scratch. Cisco gets squeezed in the above, but not sure there is a reasonable way aorund it. Best shot would be as backup PG, but he has problems bringing it up against pressure.

Makes the trade pawns:

3) MLE of course.

1) Starting PF = athletic shotblocking/rebounding big man, PF most likely, big bonus pts for being able to swing to center
2) Starting C -- if we get the ahtlete/shotblocker. the C should = strong defensive ox to body the big guys? Having a jumper would be a bonus. As would a little post game. Must be decent shotblocker next to main athlete, but not great one.
3) a bench shooter

NOTES
-- Assuming the minutes of the proposed "core" work out to Mike=38, Bonzi=32, Ron=38, Kevin=24, that leaves about 12min for a backup PG type. 48 min at the PF spot, and 48min at the C spot, to fill.
-- In a perfect world you come out of things with Reef as the backup PF/C 6th/7th man, and with Cisco around as a utility bencher. Since its not a perfect world, you likely have to burn those resources.

C -- Magliore
PF -- KG
06-07 -- Championship
I like this.

And you know what I like the most? You were able to do that without having to diss any player in the process.

Nice work...for a lawyer.

;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
nbrans said:
The guy is a guard averaging 20pts 11rebs against the world champs in the playoffs. Absolutley worth the risk.

And I'm not sure where the Bonzi = getting older thing came from, but Bonzi is the same age as Brad and Reef, only 1 yr older than Kenny, and 2 yrs older than Bibby. Nor does his game rely on quickness, which is usually the first thing to go.

yeah, Bonzi is big and strong, that won't go away with age. Look at Doug. He was still very good for us up until last year. He was 35 by the time we traded him. That's about how old Bonzi would be by his contract was up. No fears from me. Bonzi has to come back!

SacTownKid said:
yeah, Bonzi is big and strong, that won't go away with age. Look at Doug. He was still very good for us up until last year. He was 35 by the time we traded him. That's about how old Bonzi would be by his contract was up. No fears from me. Bonzi has to come back!
1st order of business, resign Bonzi to a nice 4-5 year deal, then go after a PF/C which we so bad. Bonzi/Artest/KMart/Bibby are the Kings core and future

Bricklayer said:
The guy is a guard averaging 20pts 11rebs against the world champs in the playoffs. Absolutley worth the risk.

And I'm not sure where the Bonzi = getting older thing came from, but Bonzi is the same age as Brad and Reef, only 1 yr older than Kenny, and 2 yrs older than Bibby. Nor does his game rely on quickness, which is usually the first thing to go.
I know, this is the other side of it. The idea on the "gettting older" thing is the stereotype that perimeter players drop off in ability level quicker than bigs because they rely more on athleticism. Bonzi does depend to a large extent on his quickness and leaping ability, and he doesn't have outside shooting to fall back on. I wouldn't worry about the next few years, just down the road -- but at the same time I know Petrie signed Christie to a long term deal when he was Bonzi's age. So I don't feel strongly about this one either way, I just don't feel that re-signing him is a slam dunk case.

Bricklayer said:

PG -- Mike
OG -- Bonzi
SF -- Ron
6th -- Kevin

Makes the trade pawns:

3) MLE of course.

3) a bench shooter

NOTES

C -- Magliore
PF -- KG
06-07 -- Championship
lovedapost agree w/ u all the way

nbrans said:
I know, this is the other side of it. The idea on the "gettting older" thing is the stereotype that perimeter players drop off in ability level quicker than bigs because they rely more on athleticism. Bonzi does depend to a large extent on his quickness and leaping ability, and he doesn't have outside shooting to fall back on. I wouldn't worry about the next few years, just down the road -- but at the same time I know Petrie signed Christie to a long term deal when he was Bonzi's age. So I don't feel strongly about this one either way, I just don't feel that re-signing him is a slam dunk case.
Very true, Bonzi does rely on his explosivness, athletism, and will to succeed against big guys or whoever. He is really showing us what he is made of and has redeemed himself big time from his groin injury. If we aren't aggresive and resign him, many other teams would be in the hunt for him and rightly so he is fearless at 6' 5" a SG position and body, but plays like a PF.