PROPOSED TRADE: 3-way deal with Charlotte and Phoenix

The emphasis of playing Okpala in the starting unit is due to Fox, Huerter, Barnes, and Sabonis not being plus defenders (at least prior to this season). Playing another meh defensive player in his place likely makes that units defensive potential very limited. We really need both a good defensive SF and PF (who can space the floor) with Fox taking a leap on that end as well to have a chance at being a solid defensive team. I’ve been thinking about this trade the past few days and think it would really help a lot of our issues:

----------------------------------------

CHA Gets: Landry Shamet, Dario Saric, Cameron Payne, 2023 PHX 1st (Top 10 Protected), 2023 IND 2nd, & 2025 PHX 1st (Top 10 Protected)
CHA Gives: Terry Rozier & PJ Washington

PG - Ball / Payne
SG - Shamet / Martin / Bouknight
SF - Hayward / Oubre
PF - McDaniels / Saric / Thor
C - Plumlee / Williams / Jones / Richards

PHX Gets: Terry Rozier & Harrison Barnes
PHX Gives: Jae Crowder, Landry Shamet, Dario Saric, Cameron Payne, 2023 PHX 1st (Top 10 Protected), & 2025 PHX 1st (Top 10 Protected)

PG - Paul / Rozier
SG - Booker / Lee
SF - Bridges / Johnson / Okogie
PF - Barnes / Craig
C - Ayton / Biyombo / Landale

SAC Gets: Jae Crowder & PJ Washington
SAC Gives: Harrison Barnes & 2023 IND 2nd

PG - Fox / Mitchell / Dellavedova
SG - Huerter / Monk / Davis
SF - Crowder / Murray / Okpala
PF - Washington / Lyles / Metu
C - Sabonis / Holmes / Len

Crowder and Washington give us two solid defenders at SF and PF while providing good spacing. Considering I’m hopeful Murray will also be a good defender, that gives us 3 good defensive options at SF/PF who can space the floor lessening the need to play Okpala (defender who struggles to shoot). Washington also gives us a solid weak side shot blocker (and we are definitely lacking rim protection).

Considering the better bench SG very well may be Davis, I’m wondering if McNair considers trading Monk at the deadline. It would certainly be an interesting situation to navigate due to the Fox connection but Minnesota could be a decent target as it doesn’t appear they have great bench guards. And with Gobert, Towns, Reid, McDaniels, Prince, and Anderson, they could afford to lose a forward. Monk for Kyle Anderson works salary wise and could help balance both teams a bit more.

On a somewhat side note, it’s pretty apparent that rim protection is going to be very challenging for us as both Sabonis and Holmes aren’t really considered needle movers in that category. Snatching up someone like Naz Reid who can both protect the rim and space the floor would be a nice change of pace backup C to Sabonis. Obviously Holmes would have to be moved in another deal since I can’t see them having any interest with Gobert and Towns on the roster.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The emphasis of playing Okpala in the starting unit is due to Fox, Huerter, Barnes, and Sabonis not being plus defenders (at least prior to this season). Playing another meh defensive player in his place likely makes that units defensive potential very limited. We really need both a good defensive SF and PF (who can space the floor) with Fox taking a leap on that end as well to have a chance at being a solid defensive team. I’ve been thinking about this trade the past few days and think it would really help a lot of our issues:

CHA Gets: Landry Shamet, Dario Saric, Cameron Payne, 2023 PHX 1st (Top 10 Protected), 2023 IND 2nd, & 2025 PHX 1st (Top 10 Protected)
CHA Gives: Terry Rozier & PJ Washington

PG - Ball / Payne
SG - Shamet / Martin / Bouknight
SF - Hayward / Oubre
PF - McDaniels / Saric / Thor
C - Plumlee / Williams / Jones / Richards

PHX Gets: Terry Rozier & Harrison Barnes
PHX Gives: Jae Crowder, Landry Shamet, Dario Saric, Cameron Payne, 2023 PHX 1st (Top 10 Protected), & 2025 PHX 1st (Top 10 Protected)

PG - Paul / Rozier
SG - Booker / Lee
SF - Bridges / Johnson / Okogie
PF - Barnes / Craig
C - Ayton / Biyombo / Landale

SAC Gets: Jae Crowder & PJ Washington
SAC Gives: Harrison Barnes & 2023 IND 2nd

PG - Fox / Mitchell / Dellavedova
SG - Huerter / Monk / Davis
SF - Crowder / Murray / Okpala
PF - Washington / Lyles / Metu
C - Sabonis / Holmes / Len

Crowder and Washington give us two solid defenders at SF and PF while providing good spacing. Considering I’m hopeful Murray will also be a good defender, that gives us 3 good defensive options at SF/PF who can space the floor lessening the need to play Okpala (defender who struggles to shoot). Washington also gives us a solid weak side shot blocker (and we are definitely lacking rim protection).
Crowder feels like a bandaid but if we also brought Washington in vs. a future pick or other deals proposed, and assuming the salaries all work here, I like this deal.

Phoenix seems to be giving up a lot though?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
CHA just isn't going to trade PJ anymore. He became a building block for them with Bridges now out of the picture.
While it seems like their eagerness to move him ended possibly even before the Bridges situation took place, they had all summer to work out an extension and failed to do so which has a lot of people scratching their heads.

CHA just isn't going to trade PJ anymore. He became a building block for them with Bridges now out of the picture.
I’m not convinced.

Charlotte could be considering a semi-full reset after the off-season they just had. I think they’d be much better off selling Rozier, Hayward, and Washington for assets and trying to find the 2nd star in the draft via tanking. Washington is still young, but he’s also a free agent next year. For a team that should be prioritizing finding their next young star, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to resign useful role players to larger deals who could impact that win column.

Not to mention they didn’t agree on an extension which could mean something or nothing at all as it relates to their desire to keep him long term.

Crowder feels like a bandaid but if we also brought Washington in vs. a future pick or other deals proposed, and assuming the salaries all work here, I like this deal.

Phoenix seems to be giving up a lot though?
Well both Crowder and Barnes are expirings so you could lose both for nothing in the off-season but you have some more security with grabbing Washington since he’s a RFA and 24. This year, you have a solid, defensive forward rotation of Crowder-Washington-Murray and next year you still know (assuming you match any offer sheet) that you’ll have Murray and Washington at SF and PF.

I’m not convinced.

Charlotte could be considering a semi-full reset after the off-season they just had. I think they’d be much better off selling Rozier, Hayward, and Washington for assets and trying to find the 2nd star in the draft via tanking. Washington is still young, but he’s also a free agent next year. For a team that should be prioritizing finding their next young star, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to resign useful role players to larger deals who could impact that win column.

Not to mention they didn’t agree on an extension which could mean something or nothing at all as it relates to their desire to keep him long term.
I've been captain of #teamPJ forever now, but I just don't see CHA selling off as long as they're somewhat "in the hunt" for a playoff spot. And they need PJ this year to play big minutes for them.

So maybe at the deadline if CHA is totally out of the race, but otherwise it's hard to see them be sellers.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Well both Crowder and Barnes are expirings so you could lose both for nothing in the off-season but you have some more security with grabbing Washington since he’s a RFA and 24. This year, you have a solid, defensive forward rotation of Crowder-Washington-Murray and next year you still know (assuming you match any offer sheet) that you’ll have Murray and Washington at SF and PF.
I assume if we lose Barnes for nothing we'll throw a nice chunk of his salary at Sasha.

But I'm not opposed to this deal, I just am not sure the moving pieces for everyone else work out.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume if we lose Barnes for nothing we'll throw a nice chunk of his salary at Sasha.

But I'm not opposed to this deal, I just am not sure the moving pieces for everyone else work out.
In that scenario the Kings would have to not re-sign PJ Washington. That's also the only reason I could see Charlotte parting with him - to use that caproom elsewhere and/or not have to pony up to keep him.

I don't think I've ever seen an obsession as big as this board has with PJ Washington, on any discussion board ever.

Fascinating.
I think you’ll find interest increased drastically when we landed Sabonis.

Due to Sabonis’ lack of shooting, defense, rim protection, and length, you ideally want someone at PF who has all of those things (along with being an age that can grow with the core). Washington checks off all of those boxes (while also being a sneaky good passer as well).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't think I've ever seen an obsession as big as this board has with PJ Washington, on any discussion board ever.

Fascinating.
I feel like we had an equally large obsession with Otto Porter.

I thought the Keegan selection would dial it back. Obviously I'm not against it but I'd like to work through a stretch of the season with what we have and evaluate in meaningful games. Murray would have been a huge difference maker last night and so I think we're in full overreact mode after losing what looked like the only winnable game for the first few weeks of the season.

I've been captain of #teamPJ forever now, but I just don't see CHA selling off as long as they're somewhat "in the hunt" for a playoff spot. And they need PJ this year to play big minutes for them.

So maybe at the deadline if CHA is totally out of the race, but otherwise it's hard to see them be sellers.
For me it comes down to where is that team going if they just keep the status quo?
  • Hayward is 32 and not on the same timeline as Ball.
  • Rozier is 28 and not on the same timeline as Ball.
  • Washington is a nice young player but not a star you build around.
  • Bridges is in hot water
  • Bouknight is in hot water (by the way, do you finally win this bet now? )
  • Does Kai Jones have star talent? I don’t think so
  • Does Mark Williams have star talent? I don’t think so
  • Does JT Thor have star talent? I don’t think so
  • Does Jalen McDaniels have star talent? I don’t think so

Their future is very limited right now but they have an opportunity to reset around Ball to try and find him a star running mate since they can retain him for the next 6-7 years. What better time to start resetting than with a draft as highly touted as this one?

For me it comes down to where is that team going if they just keep the status quo?
  • Hayward is 32 and not on the same timeline as Ball.
  • Rozier is 28 and not on the same timeline as Ball.
  • Washington is a nice young player but not a star you build around.
  • Bridges is in hot water
  • Bouknight is in hot water (by the way, do you finally win this bet now? )
  • Does Kai Jones have star talent? I don’t think so
  • Does Mark Williams have star talent? I don’t think so
  • Does JT Thor have star talent? I don’t think so
  • Does Jalen McDaniels have star talent? I don’t think so

Their future is very limited right now but they have an opportunity to reset around Ball to try and find him a star running mate since they can retain him for the next 6-7 years. What better time to start resetting than with a draft as highly touted as this one?
Sure, but MJ hasn't operates the Hornets in that way. They're kind of like the Kings of the East...all-in on the 8th seed sorts of short-term moves. Even the Ball draft, I'm pretty sure they moved up.

Basically no ownership/GM group in the league is as forward-thinking as Presti or the Hinkie Sixers. And it does look like Utah joined them this year with Ainge selling the farm. But most ownerships want to win immediately and give you 2-3 years max to get it done. They don't want to punt 3 years.