Signing Bonzi

I just went on a website about upcoming FA's in 2006 and they listed the following top 25 FA's:

1. Peja Stojakovic, SF, Sacramento (Player option)
  2. Ben Wallace, PF/C, Detroit
  3. Jason Terry, PG, Dallas
  4. Al Harrington, PF, Atlanta
  5. Drew Gooden, PF, Cleveland (Restricted)
  6. Bonzi Wells, SG/SF, Sacramento
  7. Nene, PF/C, Denver (Restricted)
  8. Matt Harpring, SG/SF, Utah
  9. Joel Przybilla, C, Portland
  10. Speedy Claxton, PG, New Orleans
  11. Vladimir Radmanovic, SF/PF, Seattle
  12. Bobby Jackson, PG/SG, Memphis
  13. Keith Van Horn, SF/PF, Dallas
  14. Melvin Ely, Charlotte (Restricted)
  15. Sam Cassell, PG, Minnesota
  16. Chris Wilcox, PF, LA Clippers (Restricted)
  17. Mike James, Toronto (Player option)
  18. Alonzo Mourning, Miami
  19. James Posey, SG/SF, Miami (Player option)
  20. Reggie Evans, PF, Seattle
  21. John Salmons, Philadelphia (Restricted)
  22. Ronald Murray, Seattle
  23. Nazr Mohammed, C, San Antonio
  24. Jared Jeffries, Washington (Restricted)
  25. Michael Olowokandi, C, Minnesota
This really sucks. The poor 2006 FA pool is going to drive Bonzi's price way up!! He's the top SG in the group and arguably in the top 5. As much as I love Bonzi's game, I don't think the Maloofs can pay Bonzi what he'll get from other teams, which most likely be in the 8-9 M/year range.

F

Fillmoe

peja ahead of ben wallace......................?

list seems outdated, has peja on the kings, vlad on the sonics and wilcox on the clips....

love your sig by the way.... 93 til infinity!

I cant believe van choke..er, van horn is THAT high on the list. at least four of the other guys below him deserve to be ranked higher. Never been a fan of his game.

Les Jepsen Fan said:
I just went on a website about upcoming FA's in 2006 and they listed the following top 25 FA's:
  1. Peja Stojakovic, SF, Sacramento (Player option)
  2. Ben Wallace, PF/C, Detroit
  3. Jason Terry, PG, Dallas
  4. Al Harrington, PF, Atlanta
  5. Drew Gooden, PF, Cleveland (Restricted)
  6. Bonzi Wells, SG/SF, Sacramento
  7. Nene, PF/C, Denver (Restricted)
  8. Matt Harpring, SG/SF, Utah
  9. Joel Przybilla, C, Portland
  10. Speedy Claxton, PG, New Orleans
  11. Vladimir Radmanovic, SF/PF, Seattle
  12. Bobby Jackson, PG/SG, Memphis
  13. Keith Van Horn, SF/PF, Dallas
  14. Melvin Ely, Charlotte (Restricted)
  15. Sam Cassell, PG, Minnesota
  16. Chris Wilcox, PF, LA Clippers (Restricted)
  17. Mike James, Toronto (Player option)
  18. Alonzo Mourning, Miami
  19. James Posey, SG/SF, Miami (Player option)
  20. Reggie Evans, PF, Seattle
  21. John Salmons, Philadelphia (Restricted)
  22. Ronald Murray, Seattle
  23. Nazr Mohammed, C, San Antonio
  24. Jared Jeffries, Washington (Restricted)
  25. Michael Olowokandi, C, Minnesota
This really sucks. The poor 2006 FA pool is going to drive Bonzi's price way up!! He's the top SG in the group and arguably in the top 5. As much as I love Bonzi's game, I don't think the Maloofs can pay Bonzi what he'll get from other teams, which most likely be in the 8-9 M/year range.
but if bonzi ask for more than 1000w/year maloof might give up and sign bobby to use martin and bobby at two guard
bonzi is very good but this team has too many low post player(artest SAR)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
pejafans said:
but if bonzi ask for more than 1000w/year maloof might give up and sign bobby to use martin and bobby at two guard
bonzi is very good but this team has too many low post player(artest SAR)
This team doesn't have ANY low post players...

I keep going back and forth on the Kevin Martin starting next year, or re-sign Bonzi thing. A game like the San Antonio game makes me think, Kevin couldn't have given us what Bonzi gave us that game. That's why he's so important. Then other game's Kevin has shown what he can do. I just don't know. They'll have to open the wallet a bit if they want to keep Bonzi. So, Bonzi may be the best candidate for the job, but we may not keep him purely for monetary reasons.

I don't really think either Bonzi or Kevin Martin currently give us enough out of the two spot to make us a serious team. Sure, Bonzi brings some toughness and intangibles and Martin brings defense and outside shooting (when wide open), but right now the shooting guard and power forward spots are the weakest on the team. Maybe Kevin Martin will develop into a more dominant player. Maybe. But right now he's not there yet.

So I'm more for trying to upgrade at the shooting guard spot and keeping Kevin Martin in the rotation in case he develops into a more dominant player.

As some around these parts have observed, the Kings really lack an alpha offensive option, and given the current makeup of the team it really makes sense for that player to be a shooting guard. Such a player would allow Bibby and Miller to concentrate on facilitating the offense, Artest to focus on defense and make the Kings more of a nightly threat on offense.

This is all a long way of saying that I don't think Bonzi is a very good long term option at shooting guard and I don't think the Kings should re-sign him.

Who do you suggest we get for a new SG then? If it won't be Martin or Bonzi? I still like that Ray Allen stuff that was being talked about back in February. Other than him, I don't see anyone else really, unless you go down a level or two with Rasual Butler...

On re-signing Bonzi, I'd love to see it happen as long as it's not a crazy deal.

Last edited:
nbrans said:
I don't really think either Bonzi or Kevin Martin currently give us enough out of the two spot to make us a serious team. Sure, Bonzi brings some toughness and intangibles and Martin brings defense and outside shooting (when wide open), but right now the shooting guard and power forward spots are the weakest on the team. Maybe Kevin Martin will develop into a more dominant player. Maybe. But right now he's not there yet.

So I'm more for trying to upgrade at the shooting guard spot and keeping Kevin Martin in the rotation in case he develops into a more dominant player.

As some around these parts have observed, the Kings really lack an alpha offensive option, and given the current makeup of the team it really makes sense for that player to be a shooting guard. Such a player would allow Bibby and Miller to concentrate on facilitating the offense, Artest to focus on defense and make the Kings more of a nightly threat on offense.

This is all a long way of saying that I don't think Bonzi is a very good long term option at shooting guard and I don't think the Kings should re-sign him.
Sorry, but THE single weakest position on this team is the Center position. I love Brad but he's sooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooow. Bonzi is not a bad person to have at the shooting guard spot. Esepecially when he's hitting those nice corner 3's.

Kings113 said:
Who do you suggest we get for a new SG then? If it won't be Martin or Bonzi?
I've suggested Ray Allen in the past, for me he fits the ideal from an offensive perspective. He's a great shooter who will open things up inside, he's clutch, he can pass, he can get his own shot. He has been a decent defender throughout his career, but apprently this season he hasn't been very good.

I was more speaking to what needs to be done to make the Kings an evtual contender -- I just don't think Bonzi fits into the mix enough to warrant a long term deal. But it really depends on who's available. It's going to be a tricky offseason -- I'd rather focus on getting the interior defense figured out first.

DocHolliday said:
Sorry, but THE single weakest position on this team is the Center position. I love Brad but he's sooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooow. Bonzi is not a bad person to have at the shooting guard spot. Esepecially when he's hitting those nice corner 3's.
Brad may be slow and he's certainly been a disappointment on defense and on the boards this year, but he's also one of the most skilled centers in the league and he's been a very solid contributor this year. 15/8/5 is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus it's a lot easier to find a good shooting guard than it is to find a good center.

Last edited:
nbrans said:
I've suggested Ray Allen in the past, for me he fits the ideal from an offensive perspective. He's a great shooter who will open things up inside, he's clutch, he can pass, he can get his own shot. He has been a decent defender throughout his career, but apprently this season he hasn't been very good.

I was more speaking to what needs to be done to make the Kings an evtual contender -- I just don't think Bonzi fits into the mix enough to warrant a long term deal. But it really depends on who's available. It's going to be a tricky offseason -- I'd rather focus on getting the interior defense figured out first.

Brad may be slow and he's certainly been a disappointment on defense and on the boards this year, but he's also one of the most skilled centers in the league and he's been a very solid contributor this year. 15/8/5 is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus it's a lot easier to find a good shooting guard than it is to find a good center.
Ray Allen is also getting up there age wise. He's not to be in a long term plan. I don't know if his decline this year is just a commentary on the whole team, or if he's starting to decline after getting the nice contract.

DocHolliday said:
Ray Allen is also getting up there age wise. He's not to be in a long term plan. I don't know if his decline this year is just a commentary on the whole team, or if he's starting to decline after getting the nice contract.
He's having a career year offensively (24.7 ppg) and players that can shoot will continue to contribute longer than someone who relies exclusively on their athleticism (i.e. Bonzi). Look at Sam Cassel, he's 36. Ray's only 30.

Ray's still good driving too. I think we just need a quality back-up small guard, a defensive big-man, and if Bonzi is gone, a good vet. swingman (hustler or scorer). If it'd be Ray Allen or Bonzi Wells? I'd def. take Ray. But out of those two, I think the better chance is Bonzi staying (which isn't near defined yet it self), rather than Ray coming to Sac.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mentioned before -- Bonzi is the sort of player you can easily see being on an NBA champion. Has all the toughness, rebounding, inside play intangibles that title teams are built on. Combine him with Ron, and you have a duo opposing teams are actually intimidated by. These last couple of games have shown precisely why Bonzi can be a weapon against even the toughest teams -- he's a matchup nightmare.

The question with Bonzi becomes two-fold. First, obviously, is price. But there it should be noted he is already being paid $8-$9 mil this season. If that's what it takes to bring him back, it doesn't add to our salary at all. Unless he goes $10+mil (unlikely given his history) he's likely within the affordable range.

Which brings us to the second question -- Kevin Martin. And that's one without an easy answer. I think Kevin has shown enough this year that at the very least he should always be in somebody's rotation. And to take it a step further, I think he's shown enough that if we were a very young lottery team ala Toronto or whatnot, that Kevin could be our starting OG and we could just settle in and see how good he gets. But now, we're a veteran team trying to get back to the top before age starts slowing us down, and the question becomes is Kevin Martin a starting OG on a contender wihtin the next 2-3 years? And that's just a huge "?". He might be. He might not.

Because of that I remain in favor of trying to bring Bonzi back (unless of course we make some megamoves). The platoon is not ideal, and its not really fair to either party. But the way Bonzi has played for us this year he is a movable asset if resigned to a deal in the range of the one he is now. If Kevin continues to show strong and press him, we can always move Bonzi in the future. But letting a guy who has a chance to combine with Ron to define us just walk and hope that Kevin can step up...there's a theory there (cheaper), but its very risky.

Last edited:
geeez Allan is untouchable. He is the best shooter in the league... hands down. If we got him... geez i would be happy. But he isnt going anywhere. Seattle is on the rise. Wilcox is solid. I dont kno thier weakness... LEwis and allan are all stars. Ridenour is solid. I suppose a hard nosed Center with D fills thier bill, with wilcox at pf.

as for bonzi... I like his game alot. If he is cheap enough i want him back. He is underrated. he defends, he is athletic, posts p rebounds, wonderful compliment. Our team will contend with a dominate defensive Big man (not to beat a dead horse but its true!) after that, we are contenders... sure we need a back up PG to... but after the big we are rdy to roll!

Bricklayer said:
Mentioned before -- Bonzi is the sort of player you can easily see being on an NBA champion. Has all the toughness, rebounding, inside play intangibles that title teams are built on. Combine him with Ron, and you have a duo opposing teams are actually intimidated by. These last couple of games have shown precisely why Bonzi can be a weapon against even the toughest teams -- he's a matchup nightmare.

The question with Bonzi becomes two-fold. First, obviously, is price. But there it should be noted he is already being paid $8-$9 mil this season. If that's what it takes to bring him back, it doesn't add to our salary at all. Unless he goes $10+mil (unlikely given his history) he's likely within the affordable range.

Which brings us to the second question -- Kevin Martin. And that's one without an easy answer. I think Kevin has shown enough this year that at the very least he should always be in somebody's rotation. And to take it a step further, I think he's shown enough that if we were a very young lottery team ala Toronto or whatnot, that Kevin could be our starting OG and we could just settle in and see how good he gets. But now, we're a veteran team trying to get back to the top before age starts slowing us down, and the question becomes is Kevin Martin a starting OG on a contender wihtin the next 2-3 years? And that's just a huge "?". He might be. He might not.

Because of that I remain in favor of trying to bring Bonzi back (unless of course we make some megamoves). The platoon is not ideal, and its not really fair to either party. But the way Bonzi has played for us this year he is a movable asset if resigned to a deal in the range of the one he is now. If Kevin continues to show strong and press him, we can always move Bonzi in the future. But letting a guy who has a chance to combine with Ron to define us just walk and hope that Kevin can step up...there's a theory there (cheaper), but its very risky.
You know your stuff brick... Your posts inspire me. It's like you put my thoughts on paper in literary marvel... well said friend.

SacKings4Life21 said:
You know your stuff brick... Your posts inspire me. It's like you put my thoughts on paper in literary marvel... well said friend.
:rolleyes:

How many times will I have to warn you people before someone listens?

Entity

Hall of Famer
some scientist out there somewhere has to come up with a way to make Bonzi 6'10 maybe 6'9. He would be an ultimate PF.

Don't know how people feel about this, but to consider and throw out there... If not Bonzi, if not Ray Allen, what about Jamal Crawford? Martin could still get the starting role to continue his development, as Crawford's been coming off the bench most of the year and playing well too. Crawford is a great scorer, clutch, not a bad playmaker (not saying he'd be the back-up PG). Has a big contract though.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I agree with Brick 110%.

I have to say I really like the position the Kings are in from a talent standpoint. A lot of tradable assets, owners who want to win more than anything, and Bonzi's Bird rights!

Bricklayer said:

I agree. I want Bonzi back if he doesn't command some kind of crazy deal. Also, if Bonzi come's back I think they should keep splitting the time pretty evenly. The last couple games the time hasn't been split as equally, then again Kevin hasn't been playing as good the last couple games.

Kings113 said:
Don't know how people feel about this, but to consider and throw out there... If not Bonzi, if not Ray Allen, what about Jamal Crawford? Martin could still get the starting role to continue his development, as Crawford's been coming off the bench most of the year and playing well too. Crawford is a great scorer, clutch, not a bad playmaker (not saying he'd be the back-up PG). Has a big contract though.
Crawford could be interesting -- can't remember where I heard it but I think I once heard a rumor that Petrie was interested in him. He's clutch, young and has multiple skills, but I'd be more excited if he shot for a higher percentage.

Another possible target could be Larry Hughes. The Cavs desperately need a point guard, and Hughes really struggled with them before getting injured. Bibby for Hughes trade could be interesting. Can you imagine how awesome Hughes and Artest would be defensively? Hughes could even play the point and you could have a Hughes/Martin/Artest or Hughes/Wells/Artest backcourt. Talk about fearsome...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
nbrans said:
Crawford could be interesting -- can't remember where I heard it but I think I once heard a rumor that Petrie was interested in him. He's clutch, young and has multiple skills, but I'd be more excited if he shot for a higher percentage.

Another possible target could be Larry Hughes. The Cavs desperately need a point guard, and Hughes really struggled with them before getting injured. Bibby for Hughes trade could be interesting. Can you imagine how awesome Hughes and Artest would be defensively? Hughes could even play the point and you could have a Hughes/Martin/Artest or Hughes/Wells/Artest backcourt. Talk about fearsome...
You know, a disporportionate number of your trades right now seem to involve Bibby. And that is not a position we have a surplus at, nor a skill (shooter) we have in over-abundance anymore. Hughes/Wells/Artest does sound ridiculously scary defensively. But shooting would be a major concern, and given Hughes's penchant for missing half of every year, we could be really hurting at PG for long stretches of the season.

P.S. Two years ago Petrie was supposed to be trying to get Crawford until the Bulls shipped him to New York. Still not sure why as Jamal seems to possess a lot of traits we've never been really fond of. But then again, he can shoot, so I guess all is forgiven. Interestingly though, it appears that if the Knicks decide to follow Larry's lead this summer, Jamal is his choice to bring back, not Stevie, Marbury, or Robinson. So not sure how truly available he is.

Bricklayer said:
You know, a disporportionate number of your trades right now seem to involve Bibby. And that is not a position we have a surplus at, nor a skill (shooter) we have in over-abundance anymore. Hughes/Wells/Artest does sound ridiculously scary defensively. But shooting would be a major concern, and given Hughes's penchant for missing half of every year, we could be really hurting at PG for long stretches of the season.
Of course a disproportionate amount of my trade proposals involve Bibby -- he's the most tradable asset on the team. This would definitely create a hole, and yeah, Hughes is injury prone. It was just food for thought.