Shelden Williams

but Antonio Davis wouldnt be too bad, he was a rock for many years in Indiana, not flashy, just got the job done...I'd take that.
Hmm, so if Martin is the next Reggie Miller, Hawes can channel his inner Rik Smits, and Williams can manage Antonio Davis, we're not off to a bad start... :p

Dukie's just haven't had a great track record recently--Trajan Langdon, our very own Dahntay Jones, JJ Redick, and Williams all haven't really made their marks in the NBA.
Boozer? Battier?

I think the "not so good" comments on Shelden Williams were much because of the Hawks having to showcase a lot of young talents at the PF position. Plus the Hawks acquisition of Joe Johnson has inclined their team to run more which favors finesse players like Josh Smith and Marvin Williams.

But with his big body inside, he should be able to contribute better to the Kings rebounding woes and should be a good support on clogging the lanes. He'll surely get more playing time on the Kings' roster(who only have a thin charge-taking Mikki as starting PF). And this kid is 5th overall pick in 2006 just behind Aldridge and Ty Thomas(who were exceptional athletes when given good minutes). Now the rest we'll be up to Reggie to build this kid's confidence.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Um, no? How can you possibly decide if he's going to start or not when he hasn't even picked his number yet? Moore will start until/unless someone comes along who can do better. Granted, that might not take much but Shelden isn't even in town yet.

I have mixed feelings regarding Shelden Williams. Everything i have read so far regarding him has pretty much been negative except for that fact that he is a good rebounder. I am not going to look that much into what I read and give him a fair chance to prove himself. I just want to see him play before I make a decision on him, and I hope you guys do to.

HAHAHAHA!!!:D I hadnt seen this one before...too funny!! 'Hey Hey Here Comes The Landlord!!':p

edit: if he can bring it here now like he did when he was at Duke, this will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

edit #2: 'You better hope your check will clear, wake up, wake up the rent is due now...hey hey, here come the Landlord!!:p

haha if anyone hasnt seen that video i suggest they check it out.. if nothing else it should make you laugh

Im 100% behind giving this kid a chance.. im going to go into this with no expectations and just letting him decide how good i think he is...

heres to hoping he gets playing time.

HAHAHAHA!!!:D I hadnt seen this one before...too funny!! 'Hey Hey Here Comes The Landlord!!':p

edit: if he can bring it here now like he did when he was at Duke, this will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

edit #2: 'You better hope your check will clear, wake up, wake up the rent is due now...hey hey, here come the Landlord!!:p
Actually, I always thought he was overrated at Duke. Back when the 2006 draft was rolling around I was basically spouting anti-Shelden Williams talk 24/7. Everyone was focusing on the fact that he was averaging 3.7 blocks while ignoring that he was getting destroyed by every good power forward that came his way because he wasn't athletic enough to be a good one on one defender.

I believe my exact comment was "To me he screams Malik Rose." So far I haven't really had cause to change that comment. Hopefully he will prove me wrong now that he's a King.

haha if anyone hasnt seen that video i suggest they check it out.. if nothing else it should make you laugh

Im 100% behind giving this kid a chance.. im going to go into this with no expectations and just letting him decide how good i think he is...

heres to hoping he gets playing time.
Indeed!:p That's one funny video...well, its just the song that's hilarious. LOL The Shelden highlights are GOOD too! I dont think we'll have to worry about him getting playing time, I think he'll probably get around 10-15 minutes a game starting off.

edit: I wonder if they played that song during a timeout or something during his first game in a Kings uni this week if he'd get pissed. :p

Last edited:
Actually, I always thought he was overrated at Duke. Back when the 2006 draft was rolling around I was basically spouting anti-Shelden Williams talk 24/7. Everyone was focusing on the fact that he was averaging 3.7 blocks while ignoring that he was getting destroyed by every good power forward that came his way because he wasn't athletic enough to be a good one on one defender.

I believe my exact comment was "To me he screams Malik Rose." So far I haven't really had cause to change that comment. Hopefully he will prove me wrong now that he's a King.
The only real consistent time he got was when he won Rookie of the Month. So, it wouldn't hurt to take a flyer on the guy.

The only real consistent time he got was when he won Rookie of the Month. So, it wouldn't hurt to take a flyer on the guy.
I'm not opposed to the trade, but also keep in mind that when he won Rookie of the Month it was the end of the season and everyone was playing their scrubs. He wasn't exactly going up against stellar competition.

I'm not opposed to the trade, but also keep in mind that when he won Rookie of the Month it was the end of the season and everyone was playing their scrubs. He wasn't exactly going up against stellar competition.
The fact that he was dominating lesser competition gives him a solid platform to build off of. Some players simply need to take it one step at a time, and perhaps that experience as well as a change in scenery may just be what the doctor ordered for Shelden. But of course, that's all hypothetical...who knows.

He is capable of possessing a job in the NBA, and thats about as much as i know about it. lets see him in action. What number will he wear? That could indicate something. I don't see SheldenWilliams taking minutes away from brad miller, but he could be a nice measuring stick for brad miller, at the very least.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My 2 cents for what its worth. Most big men take around three years to develop ,and of course that depends on the amount of playing time and the coaching they get.
The truth is, I don't know squat about Williams other than when I saw him play in college. I always thought then that he looked a little robotic at times, but I couldn't argue with the results. All we have now are stats, and they can be very misleading, especially if you haven't seen the player actually play. I don't know about you, but the Hawks haven't been on my, I can't miss this game list. The Hawks also seemed to draft another PF every year. It seemed they wanted instant gratification, which seldom happens.

If one had looked at Robert Parrish's stats after two years you wouldn't have been impressed, and apparently neither were the Warriors, who traded him to the Celtics and the rest was history. Not saying Sheldon is the next Parrish, I'm just saying we have to wait and see.

The height issue is only an inch, and personally I would rather a guy like Williams who is 6'9 raising his arms in defense than a 6'10 guy with 3" shorter reach....you can welcome your next Kenny Thomas. Now Kenny is truly expendable.;)
Williams is NOT Kenny Thomas!:D He plays ALOT bigger...and in actuality IS bigger than Mr. Thomas.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Th next Chris Webber! (except he'll play inside more not just taking jumpers) :D

Er, no. Never. Not in a million years. Its pretty much already established that Shelden is not going to be an offensive star in the NBA. However I still have hopes for a hulking thug forward ala Dale Davis or something, but we'll see. He's often looked smallish and a little lost out there in his first couple of years, and was even being tried at SF at times due to his stubbiness. Could end up being a Corliss Williamson/Malik Rose college center to NBA tweener forward type deal rather than true big man thug.

Er, no. Never. Not in a million years. Its pretty much already established that Shelden is not going to be an offensive star in the NBA. However I still have hopes for a hulking thug forward ala Dale Davis or something, but we'll see. He's often looked smallish and a little lost out there in his first couple of years, and was even being tried at SF at times due to his stubbiness. Could end up being a Corliss Williamson/Malik Rose college center to NBA tweener forward type deal rather than true big man thug.
Yup, no one is going to confuse 'The Landlord' for C-Webb any time in THIS lifetime. But...I'd take a Dale Davis/Antonio Davis type of forward ANY day, thank you! Especially with the offensive minded young center we have in Spencer Hawes. Nice offense/defense compliment with the two of them, hopefully.

Wont ever be Webber, but can always be that Davis (Antonio/Dale) type player who does the dirty work. Hawes could play the finesse role. Dale, and Antonio were small for the center position, and thrived. Shelden could do the same in the PF position. At least he isn't KT small. The guy is built and is a hell of a lot stronger than KT.