Say it isn't true Matt!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Sorry, but BS like this is one of many things wrong in this world. Especially in today's age where everyone sits on a moral fence passing judgement on social media. Gross overreaction. Rush to judgement w/o all the facts. Pure and simple. Worst yet, no tolerance at all.

Say what you want about Cuz the basketball player. If you don't like him for what he does in his professional life as a member of the Sacramento Kings, fine. But the dude has never been directly involved in anything off the court other than positive things. Not one. And you're done with him because he may have got into a fight? Good grief.

I can't for the life of me figure out how your still a sports fan considering an overwhelming majority of players and personnel in ALL sports have done far worse in their personal lives than get into a bar fight.

Besides the incident in high school I guess. I just don't know why players are even allowed to go out like that without security. They are always going to be targets wherever they go. If they go out, good, take some backup with you.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
92 posts when nobody really has any idea what happened? Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I think I'll wait for some facts before I jump off Assumption Cliff and into Conclusion Pond.

I hope Cousins didn't hurt his hand. That's all this team needs
Are you kidding? If any of this ends up being as bad as some are assuming, Boogie with a sore hand will be the least of our problems.

smh...

It's up to the police and the judges to dig out the truth here. It's not the job of people on the internet, who don't know anyone involved in this incident personally.
So some guys got into a fight with a woman passively or actively involved, punches were thrown, but it looks like nobody was hurt serverely. Pretty much everyday business, that happens everywhere, where people get drunk.
It's certainly not a good thing or nothing to brag about, but it's not the end of the world either and usually just an inglorious little episode in the life of most males.

The bigger problem with Barnes on the court is he is supplanting a guy in his 20s in Casspi who loves Sacramento, played great last year, and can still be a big part of this team heading forward.
Yes. And not only Omri, but Cauley-Stein too (as Joerger played frequently small-ball with Barnes and Guy as 3/4). Ok, Cauley-Stein wasn't playing well this season but he's young and has upside (and it's hard for young player to adopt when playing time is so scarce). And now when Casspi is back in the rotation, McLemore is out of it...

What precisely advantage playing 36 years old Barnes over any of those guys? Even assuming he's somehow better currently (and it's very questionable with his atrocious FG%) is anybody truly believe that will make difference in reaching playoff or something?

And ... character is also should be counted... Is getting star player involved in "altercation" what "vet" should do off-court?

Cuz throwing a punch is grounds for attempted homicide. That would probably break every bone in my face. Also, it’s really easy to crack the fourth metacarpal. That’s why it’s called a “Bar Room” fracture.
The “bad boy” image that our identity was supposed to be about only looks good if it wins… if we lose we just look like assholes. We don’t have enough respect for this nonsense.

You apparently know a rather small sample of females. Worst case, he could absolutely get himself cut. But ponder the different scenarios we DON'T KNOW right now:

a) the female just stole his wallet, he grabs her
b) he's drunk and pissed off, she comes on to him, and he says get off me you ugly skanky ***** ***** ******. She goes ballistic and starts hitting him. He chokes her.
c) a guy gets in Barnes face and challenges him to a fight, Barnes starts to oblige, guy's girlfriend get's pissed and hits him as a scuffle ensues, he chokes her
d) she walks up to him and says "nice game loser, bet your wife and the guy she is banging were having a good laugh!", he chokes her
e) he comes on to a girl, she rejects him, he chokes her while trying to force a kiss
f) he walks in the bar and chokes the first woman he meets for the fun of it

etc. etc. etc.

All of it is bad, but you can go from dicey borderline situations all the way to instant cut scenarios. You just don't know yet.
Knowing a "rather small sample of females" ?? Wth does that insinuate? That some deserve to be choked based on the situation?

Please explain better or reiterate what you mean, otherwise sorry that's just disgusting.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Knowing a "rather small sample of females" ?? Wth does that insinuate? That some deserve to be choked based on the situation?

Please explain better or reiterate what you mean, otherwise sorry that's just disgusting.
It means exactly what it sounds like.

My dad taught me all the right things about how you treat women, to the degree that I am even probably even a bit quaint in opening doors and the whatnot. But the entire ethos of how you treat women/a lady is based on the idea that the woman/lady is acting in a certain way herself. You never hit a woman because its rank bullying to do so. She would never physically assault you, and its you just using your superior size/strength to bully a smaller and weaker person in pathetic fashion. You in fact should stand up for a woman being physically assaulted, and I have.

All great principles....as long as you are dealing with women who have internalized the same rules and behaviors themselves.

Then you get out in life, you encounter people who come from tough backgrounds, you encounter drunks and druggies and all the rest and see how they interact. And it knocks the sheen off the idealism, because the fact is that you can't trust every woman to behave in a benign and unthreatening way. Some women are going to lie, cheat, steal, hit, do drugs, get totally hammered, commit crimes and all the rest. Some, in short, are perfectly capable of being violent, of initiating violence or escalating situations. And that changes the paradigm. Somebody being born big doesn't mean that they are human punching bags not allowed to defend themselves.

WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THERE. Maybe in a few days we will.

Last edited:
There is never any circumstances where it is ok to touch a female.
That's naive. They are rare, but there are some women who are violent and aggressive. I was attacked by one many years ago. I didn't then, but today I would have done whatever I needed to do to stop her (including putting my hands around her neck). So feel free to live in your perfect world where all the people are friendly and beautiful, and all the children are well-behaved. But that's not the reality I know.

Sorry, but BS like this is one of many things wrong in this world. Especially in today's age where everyone sits on a moral fence passing judgement on social media. Gross overreaction. Rush to judgement w/o all the facts. Pure and simple. Worst yet, no tolerance at all.

Say what you want about Cuz the basketball player. If you don't like him for what he does in his professional life as a member of the Sacramento Kings, fine. But the dude has never been directly involved in anything off the court other than positive things. Not one. And you're done with him because he may have got into a fight? Good grief.

I can't for the life of me figure out how your still a sports fan considering an overwhelming majority of players and personnel in ALL sports have done far worse in their personal lives than get into a bar fight.

Editing down my post to make your "here's whats wrong with the world" sob story look better. CNN would be proud. Now before you spin this into "fake news"...

DeMarcus Cousins -"I hit the s*** out this ni***!" ::wincing and shaking his shooting hand::

Really?... You think he "may have gotten into a fight"..? Keep on gathering all the facts there, Sherlock.

What I said has nothing to do with morals, tolerance or whatever BS your preaching from atop your soapbox. This incident happened after a loss. In the middle of another God damn losing season. After a decade, I'm over giving out passes and making excuses. If you don't see anything wrong with our franchise player laughing off the fact he could have potentially broke his hand on some dudes face, well then I don't know what to tell you.

It means exactly what it sounds like.

My dad taught me all the right things about how you treat women, to the degree that I am even probably even a bit quaint in opening doors and the whatnot. But the entire ethos of how you treat women/a lady is based on the idea that the woman/lady is acting in a certain way herself. You never hit a woman because its rank bullying to do so. She would never physically assault you, and its you just using your superior size/strength to bully a smaller and weaker person in pathetic fashion. You in fact should stand up for a women being physically assaulted, and I have.

All great principles....as long as you are dealing with women who have internalized the same rules and behaviors themselves.

Then you get out in life, you encounter people who come from tough backgrounds, you encounter drunks and druggies and all the rest and see how they interact. And it knocks the sheen off the idealism, because the fact is that you can't trust every woman to behave in a benign and unthreatening way. Some women are going to lie, cheat, steal, hit, do drugs, get totally hammered, commit crimes and all the rest. Some, in short, are perfectly capable of being violent, of initiating violence or escalating situations. And that changes the paradigm. Somebody being born big doesn't mean that they are human punching bags not allowed to defend themselves.

WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THERE. Maybe in a few days we will.
Well this we know.....We know Matt Barnes has a way of attracting trouble.

We know he was the alleged assailant per Sam Amick. We know he was probably not in the best of moods given his terrible individual play (5 for 28 FGs over last 3 games, a pathetic 18% accuracy) and three straight losses. Then there's this which is more of a subjective take:

You wear a scowl on your face, you attract scowlers. You look for trouble you usually find it. The energy you put out into your environment is the energy that comes back to you. And often it is exponential.

Anyone can be a victim of circumstances, but there is history with this overgrown kid.

It doesn't make him a bad person in his heart but he has temper issues related to troubled childhood and I believe modeling male role models that predispose him to physical altercation. He saw violence as youth and this is one his forms of conflict resolution. This does not mean he cannot change or mature but it also does not excuse his behavior nor making him immune to the consequences of said behavior.

On choking:

Choking is not a defensive response. Choking is an offensive attack to cut off air supply and render someone unconscious or potentially kill someone. And cause your opponent, and partisans in vicinity to fight for their life. Hence the alleged melee involving multiple individuals.

Choking is just a BAD idea. You can render someone impotent with a hard shove or takedown, before throwing punch, before choking, before rendering a weapon.

THIS IS CALLED COMMON SENSE.

As someone who can defend himself easily, it is NOT my inclination to choke someone and cut off their oxygen supply if and when I need to take someone down, especially a woman! We don't know what happened, like you said, but if you make a pass at a woman and she rejects you, or she perceives she was hit on inappropriately (butt bump) a real man doesn't get physical in return. He laughs it off. He diffuses the situation. He speaks his mind with emotional control and walks away. He doesn't respond disproportionately by wrapping his hand around her neck, then fleeing the scene before cops can arrive or flee the city before he can resolve the issue.

This looks bad. It probably is bad. Why not clear your name on the spot that night OR before your flight out of town?

I haven't been able to cheer for this guy because he's not good at basketball. Now there's this incident. He didn't belong in the rotation before. He definitely does not belong now if partially or totally responsible for this black eye on the team and his reputation. Moreover and more importantly Barnes dragged our best player into a situation where he could have broke his hand and been sidelined for 6-8 weeks and ended our season.

Defend Matt Barnes and you have to put yourself out there on flimsy limb. You want to hang out there, you are NOT going to get a lot of company. If I am wrong, and Barnes was at NO fault in this incident I will be the first to admit to being wrong, and apologize for being too presumptuous and spouting too soon to declare him guilty in the court of public opinion. I doubt that concession will be forthcoming.

Last edited:
As one of the few female posters on this board, I'm going to put my two cents in - I agree with Bricklayer and jcassio. And I also agree with those who think it's best to wait until the details are known before making a rush to judgment.
What does your gender have to do with it?

Did I read somewhere that Barnes and Cuz left the scene with Kings security people? Just curios. Looks like today is a slow news day. If I remember correctly I had made some very wise posts to this thread. Seems like it was yesterday. By golly! It was yesterday! The wheels of nvestigation and justice and Silver's office move slowly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Editing down my post to make your "here's whats wrong with the world" sob story look better. CNN would be proud. Now before you spin this into "fake news"...

DeMarcus Cousins -"I hit the s*** out this ni***!" ::wincing and shaking his shooting hand::

Really?... You think he "may have gotten into a fight"..? Keep on gathering all the facts there, Sherlock.

What I said has nothing to do with morals, tolerance or whatever BS your preaching from atop your soapbox. This incident happened after a loss. In the middle of another God damn losing season. After a decade, I'm over giving out passes and making excuses. If you don't see anything wrong with our franchise player laughing off the fact he could have potentially broke his hand on some dudes face, well then I don't know what to tell you.
So do you have facts not in evidence to the rest of us? Instead of the moral outrage and hostility, why not just wait and see?

I knew this thread would turn ugly but I was really hoping we could have an intelligent discussion without resorting to the kind of stuff that has pretty much driven me from Twitter. I'm honestly disappointed. I always thought KF was better than this.

There isn't any intelligent discussion to be had until/unless the facts come out - just conjecture and attempts to frame a story one way or the other without the full context of what happened.

Personally I'm not all that concerned with the details of the incident. Maybe I should be, but I'm not. I honestly don't care if Barnes was the victim or the aggressor. I don't care if Cousins was involved in a fight or not.

It just doesn't matter to me at this point.

It's become so hard to root for this team to even win games, I'm not interested in rooting for one of the players to not be at fault or to not be charged with a crime or slapped with a lawsuit.

I don't see this roster being successful. I don't see any way to tweak it to make it successful. I don't see any growth potential.

At this point I'm rooting for the front office to blow it all up and have a competent rebuild for once.

There isn't any intelligent discussion to be had until/unless the facts come out - just conjecture and attempts to frame a story one way or the other without the full context of what happened.

Personally I'm not all that concerned with the details of the incident. Maybe I should be, but I'm not. I honestly don't care if Barnes was the victim or the aggressor. I don't care if Cousins was involved in a fight or not.

It just doesn't matter to me at this point.

It's become so hard to root for this team to even win games, I'm not interested in rooting for one of the players to not be at fault or to not be charged with a crime or slapped with a lawsuit.

I don't see this roster being successful. I don't see any way to tweak it to make it successful. I don't see any growth potential.

At this point I'm rooting for the front office to blow it all up and have a competent rebuild for once.
preach

Bricklayer

I don't see this roster being successful. I don't see any way to tweak it to make it successful.
This remains a bizarre blindspot affecting much of the Kings fanbase, and I just absolutely refuse to let it stand. This team has been in everything all year long. If this team isn't close to being successful (moderately) then there is almost no way a team could show it was close to being successful. Its funny listening to other team's announcers, because they see it, and the team's own fans are so deep in their sorrows that they cannot.

here's one for you: this team absolutely has the potential to be the single best Sacramento Kings team there has ever been outside the Adelman era.

Of course that means almost nothing, because the very best non-Adelman team in franchise history won 39 games. But nonetheless, that would be the point. Such woeing when we are hardly used to better and this time have the best center in the world and a damn good coach to build around. Its bizarre, and unfortunately like many things, a feedback loop where everybody runs around telling each other how woeful it is and sinking ever further. I feel like we're trapped in another election cycle.

I don't see any growth potential.
This is the larger issue, but again the team was built the way it was on purpose specifically to allow for maximum flexibility going forward. When Kings fans' depression sets in, its a dark one, and even strategic flexibility gets turned on its head as more woe. But the intention obviously is to build the team we want to build, not be tied to the one we have.

Last edited:
This remains a bizarre blindspot affecting much of the Kings fanbase, and I just absolutely refuse to let it stand. This team has been in everything all year long. If this team isn't close to being successful (moderately) then there is almost no way a team could show it was close to being successful. Its funny listening to other team's announcers, because they see it, and the team's own fans are so deep in their sorrows that they cannot.

here's one for you: this team absolutely has the potential to be the single best Sacramento Kings team there has ever been outside the Adelman era.

Of course that means almost nothing, because the very best non-Adelman team in franchise history won 39 games. But nonetheless, that would be the point. Such woeing when we are hardly used to better and this time have the best center in the world and a damn good coach to build around. Its bizarre, and unfortunately like many things, a feedback loop where everybody runs around telling each other how woeful it is and sinking ever further. I feel like we're trapped in another election cycle.

This is the larger issue, but again the team was built the way it was on purpose specifically to allow for maximum flexibility going forward. When Kings fans' depression sits in, its a dark one, and even strategic flexibility gets turned on its head as more woe. But the intention obviously is to build the team we want to build, not be tied to the one we have.
The only real basis for confidence in this team is (1) Boogie (2) Rudy (3) Darren (4) Temple. Then you have a bunch of mediocrity and trash. Maybe Ben, Willie, Omri and Ty can become positive contributors. But when you have ONLY 4 guys who have met or exceeded expectations amongst a 10-11 man rotation, it is not a basis for a ton of confidence. And don't even start on your boy Barnes. The guy is trash and should be waived.

Bricklayer

The only real basis for confidence in this team is (1) Boogie (2) Rudy (3) Darren (4) Temple. Then you have a bunch of mediocrity and trash. Maybe Ben, Willie and Ty can become positive contributors. But when you have ONLY 4 guys who have met or exceeded expectations amongst a 10-11 man rotation, it is not a basis for a ton of confidence. And don't even start on your boy Barnes. The guy is trash and should be waived.
His impact stats don't agree with you.

But regardless, YOUR opinion is irrelevant. As is mine. The scoreboard's opinion is relevant. you can think every player is trash, I can think every player is gold, but all that matters is that almost every night this collection of players, trash or gold, hang right in there and make runs at basically every team we have faced except Milwaulkee, which was clearly an aberration. This isn't about looking at individual players. This is about looking at the team results. And the team results are a team that has been close all season and shown a distinctly tenacious streak, refusing to go away and actually winning the 2nd halves to make games tight. Doesn't matter if you trot out a starting 5 of Matteen Cleaves, Jimmer Fredette, John Salmons, Kenny Thomas and Les Jepsen, if they play teams close, they play them close.

There just not be enough time for the Kings to climb out of this hole.

The Kings are already 4 games out and 6 games under .500. December is pretty rough because they are going to be on the road most of the time. January they play good teams. People keep talking about wait until the after the ASG, but the deficit may be too much to overcome by then.

Really?... You think he "may have gotten into a fight"..?
You're so silly!
We don't know for sure if someone made him say that or someone else may have started it completely!!!

Heck even TMZ could've edited in these words themselves!
/s

In all seriousness, thank you for your post.. I don't understand how that phrase out of his own mouth could be excused.

On top of that, Barnes and him completely leaving the scene before police arrive and sort it out.

They're big boys. They know better. But let's wait and see if maybe they were agitated enough to act out, choke, punch AND also leave without reporting it.

The amount of time, effort and turning the other cheek (waiting for evidence) that some do to defend anyone wearing Purple is alarming at times.

His impact stats don't agree with you.

But regardless, YOUR opinion is irrelevant. As is mine. The scoreboard's opinion is relevant. you can think every player is trash, I can think every player is gold, but all that matters is that almost every night this collection of players, trash or gold, hang right in there and make runs at basically every team we have faced except Milwaulkee, which was clearly an aberration. This isn't about looking at individual players. This is about looking at the team results. And the team results are a team that has been close all season and shown a distinctly tenacious streak, refusing to go away and actually winning the 2nd halves to make games tight. Doesn't matter if you trot out a starting 5 of Matteen Cleaves, Jimmer Fredette, John Salmons, Kenny Thomas and Les Jepsen, if they play teams close, they play them close.
You are placing too much credibility on a team too often playing catch-up.

This is your mistake. Bad teams fall behind then play catch-up for three quarters. Good teams take control then fight off pretenders and battle disinterest long enough to cruise to the win. When the Kings fall behind by 20 points, as they did against the Knicks and Rockets, then battle to make the outcome respectable, the correct assessment is NOT "the Kings were impressively competitive" or whatever you want to say RE: the brink of respectability. The correct assessment is the team out of sync offensively and defensively more often than not.

They do not dictate tempo or assert their will.....instead they benefit from an opponent who lets their foot off the gas against an opponent with the comfort of knowing it is not hard to defend against a team with 1-2 predictable scoring options.

Bottom line is THIS TEAM IS NOT GOOD. Not diverse offensively, not cohesive or synergetic defensively. I watched the NBA long enough to know a playoff team or contender when I see one and unless something changes substantially, this team is a collection of pretenders that will be eliminated from playoff contention by mid-January.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

There just not be enough time for the Kings to climb out of this hole.

The Kings are already 4 games out and 6 games under .500. December is pretty rough because they are going to be on the road most of the time. January they play good teams. People keep talking about wait until the after the ASG, but the deficit may be too much to overcome by then.
all schedules balance out. If you start the season 0-10 playing all 10 of your games against the Warriors, Spurs and Cavs, you still have a reasonable chance to make the playoffs because in the end, most of your competitors are going to go 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 against those teams over the course of the season too. The optics just look bad because you had to have all that to start the season, but in the end the losses will balance, and you have 72 more games without an automatic loss left on the schedule. you'll have your chance.

all schedules balance out. If you start the season 0-10 playing all 10 of your games against the Warriors, Spurs and Cavs, you still have a reasonable chance to make the playoffs because in the end, most of your competitors are going to go 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 against those teams over the course of the season too. The optics just look bad because you had to have all that to start the season, but in the end the losses will balance, and you have 72 more games without an automatic loss left on the schedule. you'll have your chance.
Sure, but the hole that the Kings have dug themselves into means they have little room for error the rest of the way.