Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

The talk was a first involved with Grant which I'm iffy on with that contract, but I think a player like Grant will have more value with how the bar is clearly set with size at the F spot and guard oriented units getting stomped recently. The Warriors likely won't be giving away Wiggins to a direct competitor either.
That sounds less like we don’t have the assets to trade for both and more like you think GSW wouldn’t be willing to trade Wiggins to us. The latter part might be true, but in a vacuum, the assets we have should be enough to get it done if GSW was willing.

Jerami Grant

for

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

If we can resign Monk, I really like our rotation after that trade…

Fox (34) / Mitchell (10) / Monk (4)
Ellis (24) / Monk (24)
Murray (30) / Barnes (18)
Grant (30) / Barnes (6) / Lyles (12)
Sabonis (34) / Len (8) / Lyles (6)

Fox = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 30 min
Grant = 30 min
Monk = 28 min
Ellis = 24 min
Barnes = 24 min
Lyles = 18 min
Mitchell = 10 min
Len = 8 min

The trade makes too much sense not to happen ;)
If feels like an overpay but ain't no doubt now, Grant would help against these big F teams for sure. And take some scoring burden off of Fox.

No, they need the scoring regardless and results proved it. The fact that the Kings went from the opposite ends of the spectrum on offense and defense in the span of one year basically turning into a top defensive team at the end and the record didn't really change much proved it's a talent issue, and the Kings need another player to be able to compete with these teams that can take away the DHO. Hopefully they can get a little of both in the same body.
Why not both iso scoring and length? ;) *cough* Grant *cough*

That sounds less like we don’t have the assets to trade for both and more like you think GSW wouldn’t be willing to trade Wiggins to us. The latter part might be true, but in a vacuum, the assets we have should be enough to get it done if GSW was willing.
I just don't see the Kings and Warriors trying to improve eachother period. I mean, literally, this is a direct competitor in the exact same range of the play in range right now. With the Kings pick situation in limbo the Kings can't really add future picks unless they are stupidly far off (not smart unless it's for a true star) right now so if they want picks the Kings are in a rough spot. I'd doubt the Warriors want picks anyway. The same pieces getting Grant would have to likely be used to get a player like Wiggins as well. Huerter/picks is probably the high bar.

Why not both iso scoring and length? ;) *cough* Grant *cough*
I hope Monte goes for it. I'd much rather him than someone like Kuzma. I was one of the lone people last summer hoping Monte would use that space to land Grant. I didn't expect the Blazers to way overpay on Grant at the time though lol. With the Kings needing someone like Grant so bad right now it might not be a bad contract honestly. You're paying the same amount for Huerter and Barnes who aren't in the plans so big whoop.

If feels like an overpay but ain't no doubt now, Grant would help against these big F teams for sure. And take some scoring burden off of Fox.
Considering how weak this draft is at the top, I feel like getting an early 2nd back really helps to balance that trade. We get the best player in the trade while still getting a good shot at drafting a cost controlled rotational player (which will definitely come in handy if we have Fox, Monk, Murray, Grant, and Sabonis all on our payroll).

I just don't see the Kings and Warriors trying to improve eachother period. I mean, literally, this is a direct competitor in the exact same range of the play in range right now. With the Kings pick situation in limbo the Kings can't really add future picks unless they are stupidly far off (not smart unless it's for a true star) right now so if they want picks the Kings are in a rough spot. I'd doubt the Warriors want picks anyway. The same pieces getting Grant would have to likely be used to get a player like Wiggins as well. Huerter/picks is probably the high bar.
Again, the “GSW not wanting to trade with us at all” angle is fair but I have Wiggins trade value below Grant so I definitely think we have the assets to trade for both. But of course it takes two to tango.

No, they need the scoring regardless and results proved it. The fact that the Kings went from the opposite ends of the spectrum on offense and defense in the span of one year basically turning into a top defensive team at the end and the record didn't really change much proved it's a talent issue, and the Kings need another player to be able to compete with these teams that can take away the DHO. Hopefully they can get a little of both in the same body.
When you have Huerter and Monk on the bench your scoring is sitting there. Not to mention if you have someone besides Keegan who can play defense he can focus more on offense.

When you have Huerter and Monk on the bench your scoring is sitting there. Not to mention if you have someone besides Keegan who can play defense he can focus more on offense.
I agree for the most part but what were the Kings with Huerter and Monk? Fighting for the same basic playoff positioning they ended up at. 7-9. Still struggling against teams that look like the Pelicans. Still relying on the DHO and Fox to carry the load. The Kings losing Huerter helped change this team on defense because him going out meant Keon played that spot instead of backing up Fox when he did get to play. It also meant Davion got to play his more natural position as a combo guard. The balance is off, when it corrected the results were essentially the same, play in bubble.

I agree for the most part but what were the Kings with Huerter and Monk? Fighting for the same basic playoff positioning they ended up at. 7-9. Still struggling against teams that look like the Pelicans. Still relying on the DHO and Fox to carry the load. The Kings losing Huerter helped change this team on defense because him going out meant Keon played that spot instead of backing up Fox when he did get to play. It also meant Davion got to play his more natural position as a combo guard. The balance is off, when it corrected the results were essentially the same, play in bubble.
the Kings struggled against every team that was long and did well against other teams. They struggled because the long defenders made it hard for the Kings to score. Barnes slo mo play got shoved down his throat.

just compare the Pels starters versus our starters. Our longest guy is only longer than their shooting guard. We have about 4” less on average in length. It’s like going to the Y and watching the 6’ 2” league play a team of 6’ 6” guys. The 6’2” guys are going to lose every time just like we did.

Jones. 8’10”. 7’ 0.25”
Murphy 8’9.5. 7’ 0.0”
Ingram. 9’1”. 7’ 3”
Valancinious 9’3”. 7’4”

Sabonis. ??? 6’ 11”
Barnes. 8’5”. 6’ 11.25
Murray 8’ 10. 6’ 11.75”. (Chris)
Ellis/Huerter. 8’ 6”. /8’5.5. 6’8.5/6’7.5

Last edited:
We never got to see a full strength kingd squad with huerter and Monk healthy with Keon and Davion taking a huge surge forward in their impact. I absolutely think we close this year much better at like 48-49 wins if they're healthy down the stretch with

the Kings struggled against every team that was long and did well against other teams. They struggled because the long defenders made it hard for the Kings to score. Barnes slo mo play got shoved down his throat.

just compare the Pels starters versus our starters. Our longest guy is only longer than their shooting guard. We have about 4” less on average in length. It’s like going to the Y and watching the 6’ 2” league play a team of 6’ 6” guys. The 6’2” guys are going to lose every time just like we did.

Jones. 8’10”. 7’ 0.25”
Murphy 8’9.5. 7’ 0.0”
Ingram. 9’1”. 7’ 3”
Valancinious 9’3”. 7’4”

Sabonis. ??? 6’ 11”
Barnes. 8’5”. 6’ 11.25
Murray 8’ 10. 6’ 11.75”. (Chris)
Ellis/Huerter. 8’ 6”. /8’5.5. 6’8.5/6’7.5
True, but it was also based on the opposing teams coverage. I mean it can be broken down into a chicken or the egg kind of thing but I agree, in general the Kings need to both get bigger on the wing and more able to score outside of the system plays. Getting two Keegan Murrays might help, but it was Keegan who has great length that struggled the most when teams attacked the DHO. Length is a part of it, but it's not all of it, Dillon Brooks had quite a bit of success against it. The teams that showed out and switched on the DHO or attacked it had success more often than not that's a definite correlation and obviously bigger players that cover more space will have a greater impact physically. However, sometimes it was actually guards that did the most damage.

We never got to see a full strength kingd squad with huerter and Monk healthy with Keon and Davion taking a huge surge forward in their impact. I absolutely think we close this year much better at like 48-49 wins if they're healthy down the stretch with
That's correct but here's the thing though, who plays and who sits? Brown is sitting someone. It's the same story every year. Some people thought Trey and Sasha wouldn't get in eachothers way right? Wrong. It was absolutely one or the other in the end. Edwards will play, wrong. Having 5 guards expecting to get time isn't realistic. Before injuries or Huerter getting the boot game to game Keon was ping ponging backup PG duties with Davion. One or the other would play, then wouldn't. Some of us were amazed at how Keon got replaced by Davion for seemingly no real reason. The point is 48-49 wins isn't getting it done if the idea is getting to that top rung. That's apparently the goal here and it should be. While they might have all the tools necessary to become a contender the Kings brass have two seasons of evidence that indicate not. That's what Monte needs to go by now. That along with the downsides of being a live and die by the 3 point shot team in a new, more physical NBA.

Jerami Grant

for

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

If we can resign Monk, I really like our rotation after that trade…

Fox (34) / Mitchell (10) / Monk (4)
Ellis (24) / Monk (24)
Murray (30) / Barnes (18)
Grant (30) / Barnes (6) / Lyles (12)
Sabonis (34) / Len (8) / Lyles (6)

Fox = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 30 min
Grant = 30 min
Monk = 28 min
Ellis = 24 min
Barnes = 24 min
Lyles = 18 min
Mitchell = 10 min
Len = 8 min

The trade makes too much sense not to happen ;)
If Monk ends up walking, we could tweak that deal to be something like…

Jerami Grant
Malcolm Brogdon

for

Harrison Barnes
Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

Brogdon’s ball handling, passing, and playmaking would be a great replacement if Monk walks. He’s also a solid scorer and high level shooter. He’s also got more size, strength, and length than Monk making it easier for Fox and Brogdon to share the floor together.

Fox (34) / Mitchell (14)
Ellis (20) / Brogdon (28)
Murray (30) / Edwards (14) / Ellis (4)
Grant (30) / Lyles (18)
Sabonis (34) / Len (10) / Lyles (4)

Fox = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 30 min
Grant = 30 min
Brogdon = 28 min
Ellis = 24 min
Lyles = 22 min
Mitchell = 14 min
Edwards = 14 min
Len = 10 min

IMO the one guy that is rumored to be available that would put the Kings into the top 4 seed in the playoffs would be Lauri Marrkaren. He's the ideal stretch 4 next to Sabonis and is in the same age range to hit his prime with Fox and Sabonis. Unfortunately, Utah is asking for 3+ 1st round picks and the Kings don't have that since the pick did not convey this year.

So, I think Monte may be forced to trade for help from someone like Kuzma, Grant or Wiggins or Grant Williams, which I think would help the Kings make the playoffs, but would not set up a "Big 3" capable of being title contenders.

Brogdon will be injured half the season, and Grant has this thing not playing in April every season but half of the times was because of tanking I guess
Just because he’s injury prone doesn’t mean he’s not an effective player. Besides, we’d still have Fox, Ellis, Mitchell, and Jones to backfill guard minutes if Brogdon is out.

As for Grant, his team’s highest win total in the last 4 years was 33 wins. And a lot of those teams were in the 20s for win totals so I’m. It surprised to see him shut down towards the end of the season. Grant has played 4 seasons on teams that had a winning record. During those seasons, he played in 97.8% of potential games (which is equivalent to 80.2 games a season).

IMO the one guy that is rumored to be available that would put the Kings into the top 4 seed in the playoffs would be Lauri Marrkaren. He's the ideal stretch 4 next to Sabonis and is in the same age range to hit his prime with Fox and Sabonis. Unfortunately, Utah is asking for 3+ 1st round picks and the Kings don't have that since the pick did not convey this year.

So, I think Monte may be forced to trade for help from someone like Kuzma, Grant or Wiggins or Grant Williams, which I think would help the Kings make the playoffs, but would not set up a "Big 3" capable of being title contenders.
it’s tough because it has to be a substantial upgrade to justify trading assets. Of the four you listed I’d say only Jerami fits the bill. Wiggins isn’t motivated (teammates have basically said so) Grant W is a worse offensive player, better defensively and has weird vibes from teammates. Kuzma is an upgrade but appears to have no desire to leave and wants to be 1A on a team. I said it in a different post but Deni Avdija is the guy I want if we are trading the pick. I think he is an ascending player, plays very good defense and is 6’9. Huerter and 13 for him would be a great deal for both teams imo.

Fox Colby
Keon Davion
Keegan Barnes
Deni Lyles
Sabonis Len

Probably top 10 defense, room for both Deni and Keegan to expand their offensive games and all our future picks saved for a bigger move if needed

I was reading an article about the Kings situation moving forward. While if the Kings re-sign Monk, they aren't even getting a full MLE it was suggesting Kyle Anderson as a target. I wouldn't mind that to be honest. He doesn't really add to the scoring needs but he would fit right in with the way the Kings play and the Kings would probably be able to extract more of his passing out of him as well.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-for-2024-nba-free-agency-after-pelicans-loss

Just because he’s injury prone doesn’t mean he’s not an effective player. Besides, we’d still have Fox, Ellis, Mitchell, and Jones to backfill guard minutes if Brogdon is out.

As for Grant, his team’s highest win total in the last 4 years was 33 wins. And a lot of those teams were in the 20s for win totals so I’m. It surprised to see him shut down towards the end of the season. Grant has played 4 seasons on teams that had a winning record. During those seasons, he played in 97.8% of potential games (which is equivalent to 80.2 games a season).
While I would be down with a Grant/Brogdon deal without question, in general, the Kings have to stop doing this. The only good the Kings mega guard depth has done is be a "pull in case of emergency" thing. That means jack squat in the end. If they did get Brogdon, they have to ditch Davions salary or maybe get some value before he disappears again because he would. If you end up needing bodies you're better off doing what the Kings eventually did anyway, call up one of your G-league guys to get a look.

I was reading an article about the Kings situation moving forward. While if the Kings re-sign Monk, they aren't even getting a full MLE it was suggesting Kyle Anderson as a target. I wouldn't mind that to be honest. He doesn't really add to the scoring needs but he would fit right in with the way the Kings play and the Kings would probably be able to extract more of his passing out of him as well.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-for-2024-nba-free-agency-after-pelicans-loss
If we decide to stick with Keon at the 2, and imo we should, that rules out adding a low usage defense only player at the 4. He’s a serious downgrade offensively compared to HB. If you are bringing him off the bench it might be ok but then he is just taking Lyles minutes. If we don’t bring Monk back that won’t be enough offense imo. Sounded like Monte tried to get him in the past so you never know

The only untouchables on this team are Fox and Sabonis. I think everyone should be up for grabs if the right deal comes. In order for us to legitimate contenders, this is how I would envision the future of our team:
  • Fox-Sabonis need elite chemistry together and should try to play off one another more often
  • We need a true #2/3 scorer who can get a bucket on their own. Someone who can consistently create off the dribble and isn't reliant on DHO actions
  • CONSISTENT shooting and defense from the role players. We need guys to buy into their roles as the supporting cast for a "big 3" by playing to their role every single night
  • Length and athleticism. This team lacks length with Fox and Sabonis who anchor arguably the most important positions in the NBA. We need to makeup for the length at our other positions
  • Coaching consistentcy with a set rotation. Brown continued experimenting with our rotation and bench players well into half the season.. we can't afford to do this next year. Most of this trial and error needs to occur at the beginning of the season rather than 40 games in

I know this is not a popular topic, but the Kings' most valuable piece outside of Fox-Sabonis is Keegan Murray. If you're looking to add a #2/3 scorer, he is the one teams will covet. I can imagine that he would have very high trade value around the league. I think Keegan is a perfect role player next to Fox-Sabonis, but his struggles as a reliable scoring punch have been evident. He's not comfortable putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shots. Shutting down the DHO and screening actions means he becomes reliant on his jumpshot.

Harrison Barnes' bounce back in the 2nd half of the season has really fortunate for the Kings in allowing his trade value to prop back up.. He would be a good piece for any team around the league who wants to add a steady 3&D veteran SF who has size. I think he would be valuable to playoff teams who are missing a starting SF. I don't think the Kings can afford to keep HB on the team anymore. He no longer brings the same value as he once did after losing a step.

Kevin Huerter just had the worst year of his career which makes his trade value tricky. He has a league reputation of being a very good shooter, but his inconsistent shooting this year has been extremely frustrating. We can't rely on his inconsistencies as a starting player. His defense improved a little bit this year, but the defensive difference between him and Keon in the starting lineup has been night and day. If the Kings can get equal value for him in the form of a SF/PF, the Kings should do it. I do not see him as our long-term SG.

The only untouchables on this team are Fox and Sabonis. I think everyone should be up for grabs if the right deal comes. In order for us to legitimate contenders, this is how I would envision the future of our team:
  • Fox-Sabonis need elite chemistry together and should try to play off one another more often
  • We need a true #2/3 scorer who can get a bucket on their own. Someone who can consistently create off the dribble and isn't reliant on DHO actions
  • CONSISTENT shooting and defense from the role players. We need guys to buy into their roles as the supporting cast for a "big 3" by playing to their role every single night
  • Length and athleticism. This team lacks length with Fox and Sabonis who anchor arguably the most important positions in the NBA. We need to makeup for the length at our other positions
  • Coaching consistentcy with a set rotation. Brown continued experimenting with our rotation and bench players well into half the season.. we can't afford to do this next year. Most of this trial and error needs to occur at the beginning of the season rather than 40 games in

I know this is not a popular topic, but the Kings' most valuable piece outside of Fox-Sabonis is Keegan Murray. If you're looking to add a #2/3 scorer, he is the one teams will covet. I can imagine that he would have very high trade value around the league. I think Keegan is a perfect role player next to Fox-Sabonis, but his struggles as a reliable scoring punch have been evident. He's not comfortable putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shots. Shutting down the DHO and screening actions means he becomes reliant on his jumpshot.

Harrison Barnes' bounce back in the 2nd half of the season has really fortunate for the Kings in allowing his trade value to prop back up.. He would be a good piece for any team around the league who wants to add a steady 3&D veteran SF who has size. I think he would be valuable to playoff teams who are missing a starting SF. I don't think the Kings can afford to keep HB on the team anymore. He no longer brings the same value as he once did after losing a step.

Kevin Huerter just had the worst year of his career which makes his trade value tricky. He has a league reputation of being a very good shooter, but his inconsistent shooting this year has been extremely frustrating. We can't rely on his inconsistencies as a starting player. His defense improved a little bit this year, but the defensive difference between him and Keon in the starting lineup has been night and day. If the Kings can get equal value for him in the form of a SF/PF, the Kings should do it. I do not see him as our long-term SG.
I just don't think you can trade Keegan Murray.

He just finished year 2. He showed incredible growth as a defensive player and while inconsistent offense, showed real flashes of being a dominant Paul-George-esq spacer as a big wing. What would quantify as fair value for him? Because he's significantly more valuable than that Siakam/Lavine/Beal tier of "star"

If we decide to stick with Keon at the 2, and imo we should, that rules out adding a low usage defense only player at the 4. He’s a serious downgrade offensively compared to HB. If you are bringing him off the bench it might be ok but then he is just taking Lyles minutes. If we don’t bring Monk back that won’t be enough offense imo. Sounded like Monte tried to get him in the past so you never know
In theory Anderson doesn't have the same scoring abilities in iso for sure, but a few seasons ago in Memphis with an almost identical FGA's per game number as Harrison last year Anderson put up 12, 5, and 5. Anderson can't get to the foul line like Barnes, but last year Mike Brown didn't focus on Barnes drawing contact anyway. If that's the plan then another player with more size and passing could be a good look. I agree, ideally Monk would be back in that scenario of course. I think Monte wouldn't be able to use a tax payers MLE to get Anderson though so he'd have to move off some salary.

He just finished year 2. He showed incredible growth as a defensive player and while inconsistent offense, showed real flashes of being a dominant Paul-George-esq spacer as a big wing. What would quantify as fair value for him? Because he's significantly more valuable than that Siakam/Lavine/Beal tier of "star"
Yeah, I mean, if a superstar is up for grabs you send Keegan packing but I don't see Jokic, Tatum, Giannis or someone at that level being legit trade targets nor should anyone expect a Kings Keegan led package to beat what I'm sure other teams would be offering if and when something like that went down. I agree, Monte certainly doesn't trade Keegan for a LaVine level player and Monte has already pretty much let it be known that ain't happening. I was a little bit iffy on the talk of the Kings being a top favorite to land PG13 when that betting odds thing came out because would Monte dare trade Keegan for him? I can't see any other way the Kings could even remotely land someone like Paul George. I hope that was agent fluff because while PG13 is better than Keegan now, that could be a quick and decisive swing back in a few seasons since the age gap is so significant and PG13 is on the downhill slide as we speak.

Don't really see the Paul George comparison because he's a good ball handler and underrated playmaker. His game has changed a bit from when he first came into the league, but even in his first couple years, he was an elite athlete who could push in transition all by himself. 3rd year PG13 led the Pacers to the ECF and went toe to toe with Miami Lebron.

I think we all hold our breaths when Keegan pushes a fastbreak... not really the case for PG13.

I don't think LaVine and Beal are they worth Keegan. In terms of realistic attainable players, I'm thinking along the lines of: PG13, Markkanen, and Miakl on the high end, with Grant, and Dejounte on the lower end.

I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but I think Brandon Ingram would be the ideal target if he became available this offseason. Pelicans fans seem to hate the fit, and Howard Beck has said he thinks the Pelicans will make a choice between Ingram and Zion this offseason. Bit of a risk, as Ingram has just one year left on his contract, but I think we need to take a risk if we have any hope of entering the “contender” category.

Kings get:

• Brandon Ingram
• EJ Liddell

Pelicans get:

• Harrison Barnes
• Trey Lyles
• Chris Duarte
• Colby Jones
• 2024 1st
• 2028 1st

The Pelicans get a vet PF that can hit the three and defend at a reasonable level, a couple role players in Lyles and Duarte, and a young guy with upside in Colby. Obviously, the two firsts are the enticing part of the deal for the Pels, which they can use to flip for a contributor.

The Kings get the best guy in the deal, a star level player who can get his own shot and can carry the load when Fox doesn’t have it going.

Rotation:

Fox/Davion
Ellis/Huerter
Murray/Edwards/Slawson
Ingram/Sasha/Liddell
Sabonis

The above is what’s left afterwards. Great starting lineup, shaky depth. If Monk leaves in FA, I think you have to keep Huerter and use him as the microwave scorer off the bench. He can provide rebounding and playmaking as well, obviously. The backup guards would be solid, wing depth would need to be addressed for sure. Potential MLE wing targets include:

• Royce O’neal
• Derrick Jones Jr.
• Torrey Craig
• Naji Marshall
• Kyle Anderson

If you can get one of the above, I think you’d be pretty good overall. I’d re-sign Len, or someone similar, as backup C on a vet minimum. It’s certainly worth the hit in depth to get that third star guy to go with Fox/Sabonis imo. You could also consider trading Huerter for two solid bench guys to increase your depth, even if the two new bench guys aren’t as individually as good as Huerter.

Fully agree on all the above points. Wish someone would send this over to Monte and MB. Ideally, we need someone who can hold fort as a #1 option if Fox is out.

This team has an abundance of guards and lack of wing player that can guard 2-3-4 position. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to trade away the one we have for another. It makes more sense to add more Keegan to the team