Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It's also probably important to note that most rebuilding teams don't usually want to get rid of 23-year-old 6'7" wing-forwards in exchange for a pick they could use to draft another 6'7" wing-forward.

Guy's perimeter shooting has fallen off the edge of the earth for sure but he's shooting 88% from the line so it's not like his shot is broken. I'm really not sure what's going in Detroit.

(Needs to be noted that they would probably not have as much of an issue paying Bey's extension had they not given Marvin Bagley a 37 million dollar extension for the next three years).

That all said, I'd be willing to give the Pistons however many second round picks they want for Saddiq. View attachment 11379
It’s tough. The Kings don’t have any spare assets besides Holmes - and he is a terrible fit for the Pistons. TD + a couple second rounders might do it. But TD might be the better player.

I like Bey a lot for the Kings motion offense. And this looks like a good buy low opportunity. But I think the Pistons will plan to rehab Bey’s value after they trade better Bogi

I think the path forward is pretty simple from my perspective…
  • Trade Richaun Holmes at the deadline for expirings (attach a 2nd or two if need be to make it happen)
  • Sign one of Cam Johnson, Grant Williams, PJ Washington, or Jalen McDaniels
  • Resign Harrison Barnes
  • Sign a long, athletic, rim protecting backup C (e.g., Nerlens Noel)
PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk / Moneke
SF - C. Johnson / Barnes
PF - Murray / Okpala
C - Sabonis / Noel
2023 Picks - SAC 1st / SAC 2nd / IND 2nd

The starting 5 is all on the same timeline allowing them to grow together and develop great chemistry. The bench would be one of the best benches in the league with two potential 6MOY candidates (Monk and Barnes).

This also still gives us plenty of assets to make a consolidation trade for a bigger upgrade in the future. For example, let’s say we go into next season with the roster above and make the playoffs. Our 2024 1st will convey to ATL which unlocks our ability to trade future 1sts in a larger deal. During the 2024 off-season, we’d have the following assets to utilize if the right star becomes available…

Fox
Mitchell
Huerter
Monk (assuming he’s retained)
C. Johnson
Murray
Barnes
Sabonis (assuming he’s retained)
2023 SAC 1st
2025 SAC 1st
2027 SAC 1st
2029 SAC 1st
2031 SAC 1st

That’s a lot of assets to play with in an effort to take take this team from a playoff team to a contending team.

I can't see Holmes getting anything close to expirings at this point. Either he's part of a bigger deal or here for the time being. Best bet is to start playing him and hope he buys in.

Would love to see us snatch Bamba for the backup C mins on the cheap. Don't know what it would take, but hands off our top 6 lol. I think Bamba could use a fresh start a la Bagley.

I can't see Holmes getting anything close to expirings at this point. Either he's part of a bigger deal or here for the time being. Best bet is to start playing him and hope he buys in.
I'm also kind of assuming we've been shopping him the last few months and that's why he hasn't gotten back into games yet. Just a deal between us and his agents to trade him and keep him healthy.

But yeah, if nothing is there, probably time to ditch the Metu experiment and go back to him. See if he can find that defensive form. Because those 12 minutes Domas is off the floor have been straight ugly for a few weeks now

I think the path forward is pretty simple from my perspective…
  • Trade Richaun Holmes at the deadline for expirings (attach a 2nd or two if need be to make it happen)
  • Sign one of Cam Johnson, Grant Williams, PJ Washington, or Jalen McDaniels
  • Resign Harrison Barnes
  • Sign a long, athletic, rim protecting backup C (e.g., Nerlens Noel)
PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk / Moneke
SF - C. Johnson / Barnes
PF - Murray / Okpala
C - Sabonis / Noel
2023 Picks - SAC 1st / SAC 2nd / IND 2nd

The starting 5 is all on the same timeline allowing them to grow together and develop great chemistry. The bench would be one of the best benches in the league with two potential 6MOY candidates (Monk and Barnes).

This also still gives us plenty of assets to make a consolidation trade for a bigger upgrade in the future. For example, let’s say we go into next season with the roster above and make the playoffs. Our 2024 1st will convey to ATL which unlocks our ability to trade future 1sts in a larger deal. During the 2024 off-season, we’d have the following assets to utilize if the right star becomes available…

Fox
Mitchell
Huerter
Monk (assuming he’s retained)
C. Johnson
Murray
Barnes
Sabonis (assuming he’s retained)
2023 SAC 1st
2025 SAC 1st
2027 SAC 1st
2029 SAC 1st
2031 SAC 1st

That’s a lot of assets to play with in an effort to take take this team from a playoff team to a contending team.
HB is a great dude and team player but do you think he is ready to accept a bench role at his age? I could see maybe in 2 years but not in the back end of his prime.

Since I’m less convinced we can sign any of those restricted free agents than you are my targets would be the following:

HB on a team friendly deal. Maybe 3 years with team option on the 4th
Kevin love on a 2 year deal. Gives us passing shooting, rebounding and veteran presence to back up the 4
Plumlee on a 2 year deal- analytics like him and he would be cheap. Big body to take pressure off Domas
Draft Kaluma or Murray (both fit Monte style) or possibly athletic 3/4
Draft Tucker Devries (maybe poor mans Austin reeves) best movement shooter according to some.

still short on defense but really really strong in other areas.

HB is a great dude and team player but do you think he is ready to accept a bench role at his age? I could see maybe in 2 years but not in the back end of his prime.

Since I’m less convinced we can sign any of those restricted free agents than you are my targets would be the following:

HB on a team friendly deal. Maybe 3 years with team option on the 4th
Kevin love on a 2 year deal. Gives us passing shooting, rebounding and veteran presence to back up the 4
Plumlee on a 2 year deal- analytics like him and he would be cheap. Big body to take pressure off Domas
Draft Kaluma or Murray (both fit Monte style) or possibly athletic 3/4
Draft Tucker Devries (maybe poor mans Austin reeves) best movement shooter according to some.

still short on defense but really really strong in other areas.
Barnes will be 31 at the start of next season. He actually witnessed first hand a 30 year old starting caliber SF agree to come off the bench for the betterment of the team. And what happened? It gave Barnes his only NBA title and allowed him to be a part of a team with the best regular season record.

He’s never come across as a selfish guy to me and seems to be a team player. And just because he’s coming off the bench, doesn’t mean his minutes have to be limited, and I think as he continues to age, his old man game will still be rather effective against 2nd units.

What about Barnes makes you think he wouldn’t be accepting of a bench/sixth man role?

Barnes will be 31 at the start of next season. He actually witnessed first hand a 30 year old starting caliber SF agree to come off the bench for the betterment of the team. And what happened? It gave Barnes his only NBA title and allowed him to be a part of a team with the best regular season record.

He’s never come across as a selfish guy to me and seems to be a team player. And just because he’s coming off the bench, doesn’t mean his minutes have to be limited, and I think as he continues to age, his old man game will still be rather effective against 2nd units.

What about Barnes makes you think he wouldn’t be accepting of a bench/sixth man role?
He would have to be convinced this is the best possible situation for him. You can tell he wants to win so the only way I see him accepting a bench role is if he thinks the Kings winning is sustainable and they can be in the upper echelon within the next 2 years.

He would have to be convinced this is the best possible situation for him. You can tell he wants to win so the only way I see him accepting a bench role is if he thinks the Kings winning is sustainable and they can be in the upper echelon within the next 2 years.
Well if he resigns here, I think it’s a good indication he believes that already.

Yeah, he'd be the guy for it, but what about paying him what he should command would be worth it? Unless this team has one ring under it's belt you don't overpay backups for luxury purposes. Even if your team is better for it you have to be like the Spurs with Manu. Legit winning goes with it or you stick your team in a tough place in terms of tinkering if need be. Heck, look at Holmes. He's probably going to cost Monte the chance to go out and toss a near max deal at someone without it costing Barnes as just a start. If the Suns are concerned about stocking their bench with overpaid players the Kings have to be very much the same right now in terms of mindset. Monte's chance to bloat the cap a little is now. Once it's pay up time for Domas those opportunities are gone.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Kings can make a trade with Toronto before this February's deadline, for one of:

1) Precious Achiuwa
2) Chris Boucher
3) Juancho Hernangomez

A trade for Boucher or Hernangomez may not sound sexy on paper but could work great on the court. They would be nice PFs to add into the rotation... as they are 6'9", space the floor a little, and can help Sabonis protect the rim a little better too.

I wonder if the Kings can make a trade with Toronto before this February's deadline, for one of:

1) Precious Achiuwa
2) Chris Boucher
3) Juancho Hernangomez

A trade for Boucher or Hernangomez may not sound sexy on paper but could work great on the court. They would be nice PFs to add into the rotation... as they are 6'9", space the floor a little, and can help Sabonis protect the rim a little better too.
Boucher was one of my guys this off-season as a potential shot blocker/kind of floor spacer that you could put next to Sabonis. He can't really shoot anymore, but he's just a seriously good overall player. I think he fills that back-up C slot really nicely and you could actually find ways to play him and Sabonis together for stretches.

Bogdanovich seems so out of place in DET. Makes no sense for their timeline, would love to have him on our bench squad.
I think the problem is he's a guy a lot of team would love to have and they are in better position to throwaway a late first than we are (in fact we can't, but I wouldn't give one of our FRPs for him until we are proven to be picking in the 20s). Not to mention are most expendable asset isn't a great fit for them either though we can offer a bunch of expirings, I'm not sure that benefits them either.

Or bull crap. haha. It's not like OG hasn't had a pretty decent chance to be the "man". So far he's maybe slightly above a Harrison Barnes at peak level. Which I think also does have higher value than most think but still. OG isn't a 1st option by any means.
yeah I'm sorry but what? they are from the same draft class and DM has had significantly more impact than OG. I can see a bidding war raising his asking price a bit but not to superstar deal.

it's not far fetched to think that OG can fetch at least three first round picks just like Jrue and Dejounte did
Maybe, but as with any first it depends on the picks and the possible protections. Anyone giving up a superstar package for OG better know something nobody else does.

do you think what Minnesota gave up for Gobert was a superstar package?
It was bad but not that bad. Donovan Mitchell got a major haul and that's what they think they can get for OG. I don't think the Raps are just looking at mid 1sts until the end of time they'll want talent for him too if this story is correct.