Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

I think most on the forum can agree we have the 1, 2, 3 and 5 spot sorted out in our starting lineup long term. We still need a 4 (or 3 if you believe Keegan ends up at the 4 spot) I believe we need a plus defender who can ideally spread the floor but that can be easier said than done. This thread will track names we have talked about in the past over the course of this season. Players, current contracts, FA status, stats and maybe some advanced metrics and notable performances. Ill try to keep this updated if life allows.

PJ Washington age 24 Soon to be restricted Free agent.
OFF rating 100.7 DEF rating 111.1 PIE 7.7 15.6 PPG 3pt-36% 80 plus from the line

Grant Williams age 24 (Nov) soon to be restricted Free agent
OFF rating 114.9 DEF rating 105.7 PIE 11 9.4 PPG 3pt-53% nearly 85 from the line

Cam Johnson age 26 soon to be restricted free agent INJURED OUT INDEFINITELY
OFF rating 122.8 DEF rating 104 PIE 10.4 13 PPG 3pt-43% around 72 from the line

Draymond Green age 32 player option (likely to be traded)
OFF rating 119.2 DEF rating 113.9 PIE 8.8 8.9 PPG 3pt-30% 58 from the line

Jerami Grant age 28 FA
OFF rating 113.5 DEF rating 111.1 PIE 9.4 PPG 17.9 3pt-39.5% 74 from the line

Lauri Markkanen age 25 2 years at around 36 million total left after this year (only 6000 is guaranteed in final year)
OFF Rating 118.7 DEF rating 110.9 PIE 16.2 22.2 points per game 3pt-30% 85 from the line

Mo Bamba age 24 1 year 10.3 mil left after this year
OFF rating 103.7 DEF rating 116.1 PIE 6.2 4.4 points per game 3pt-26% 60 from the line

Last edited:
I realize offensive and defensive ratings don't mean everything but I just thought this would be a good baseline. I could add true shooting percentages and usage if that would be helpful.

What other players would make sense to add? I will add them when I have a free moment here and there

Also, I know we could find that player in the draft but I fully expect us to either trade or sign a wing at the deadline or in the off season

I think most on the forum can agree we have the 1, 2, 3 and 5 spot sorted out in our starting lineup long term. We still need a 4 (or 3 if you believe Keegan ends up at the 4 spot) I believe we need a plus defender who can ideally spread the floor but that can be easier said than done. This thread will track names we have talked about in the past over the course of this season. Players, current contracts, FA status, stats and maybe some advanced metrics and notable performances. Ill try to keep this updated if life allows.

PJ Washington age 24 Soon to be restricted Free agent.
OFF rating 100.7 DEF rating 111.1 PIE 7.7 15.6 PPG 3pt-36% 80 plus from the line

Grant Williams age 24 (Nov) soon to be restricted Free agent
OFF rating 114.9 DEF rating 105.7 PIE 11 9.4 PPG 3pt-53% nearly 85 from the line

Cam Johnson age 26 soon to be restricted free agent INJURED OUT INDEFINITELY
OFF rating 122.8 DEF rating 104 PIE 10.4 13 PPG 3pt-43% around 72 from the line

Draymond Green age 32 player option (likely to be traded)
OFF rating 119.2 DEF rating 113.9 PIE 8.8 8.9 PPG 3pt-30% 58 from the line

Jerami Grant age 28 FA
OFF rating 113.5 DEF rating 111.1 PIE 9.4 PPG 17.9 3pt-39.5% 74 from the line

Lauri Markkanen age 25 2 years at around 36 million total left after this year (only 6000 is guaranteed in final year)
OFF Rating 118.7 DEF rating 110.9 PIE 16.2 22.2 points per game 3pt-30% 85 from the line

Mo Bamba age 24 1 year 10.3 mil left after this year
OFF rating 103.7 DEF rating 116.1 PIE 6.2 4.4 points per game 3pt-26% 60 from the line
i would take a flyer on Bamba. He lost his place in the rotation to Bol Bol but was playing pretty well last year. He would fit well in the front court with Sabonis. Would give us a shot blocker with some length on defense. On Offfense, he has a decent 3 point shot and would open up the paint. Keegan can take Barnes spot at the 3

My #1 here would be Jeremi Grant but he wont come here. He wanted to go to Portland. I doubt we can pry away PJW from Charlotte now thst Bridges is out, buuuut he'd be my #2. Lauri #3. TBH im ok with bringing HB back, but on a 12M the way he has played so far. He and Murray can fight for starting SF. Id also like to go for Naz Reid for a little inside out game in place of metu. He's also a. Much better weakside rim protector.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure why you've named this thread the "Wing target tracker" when most of the players you listed aren't wings. I don't know if Keegan will ultimately be better as a SF or PF but that's probably because the distinction might not matter in the modern NBA. I also don't agree that we have the 1,2,3, and 5 positions settled long-term. Right now we know what we have with Fox and Sabonis, Huerter and Monk seem like good additions to the rotation whether they start or not, and we hope Keegan becomes a cornerstone for us. To truly become a contending team we probably need to aim higher than adding a rotational forward. I'm still hoping we can make enough incremental progress over the next two seasons to lure someone like Jaylen Brown or OG Anunoby as a free agent in 2024. Continuing to build the culture and finding good short-term fits that compliment the Fox/Sabonis core are goals I would aim for. Style of play, camaraderie, and progress toward playoff respectability is how we should try to distinguish ourselves.

That being said... in the short-term, I can see any of the guys you listed helping us provided we don't over-commit to them with a huge contract and unrealistic expectations.

I'm not sure why you've named this thread the "Wing target tracker" when most of the players you listed aren't wings. I don't know if Keegan will ultimately be better as a SF or PF but that's probably because the distinction might not matter in the modern NBA. I also don't agree that we have the 1,2,3, and 5 positions settled long-term. Right now we know what we have with Fox and Sabonis, Huerter and Monk seem like good additions to the rotation whether they start or not, and we hope Keegan becomes a cornerstone for us. To truly become a contending team we probably need to aim higher than adding a rotational forward. I'm still hoping we can make enough incremental progress over the next two seasons to lure someone like Jaylen Brown or OG Anunoby as a free agent in 2024. Continuing to build the culture and finding good short-term fits that compliment the Fox/Sabonis core are goals I would aim for. Style of play, camaraderie, and progress toward playoff respectability is how we should try to distinguish ourselves.

That being said... in the short-term, I can see any of the guys you listed helping us provided we don't over-commit to them with a huge contract and unrealistic expectations.
Yeh maybe “wing” isn’t the best title. A wing is the ideal target with defensive and 3 point making traits. These were just a few more realistic names to target that in some form or another fit what we need.

We signed Fox to a mega deal, traded our best young player for Sabonis, drafted Keegan with a top 5 pick and traded a first round pick and trade flexibility for KVon…They better be our cornerstones.

I agree we should aim high but Jalen Brown wouldn’t sign with the Kings if we were guaranteed playoff contenders for the next 10 years. We probably have to operate on the margins and hope we hit on Keegan and a trade or two.

I personally think it would be big if Keegan can play the three (even if the difference between the 3 and 4 is less clear as you pointed out). We do need someone who can protect the rim next to Sabonis and I don’t believe Keegan is that guy. He has had a few nice blocks this year however.

Keegan plays more like a 4 but i agree, the distinction between 3 and 4 offensively is minimal while a think a defensively it is more relevant. I think a 4 can guard most post position effective and sometimes come out to guard slower 3s. But 3s need to be able to defend down from 2-4. With that said, I think as he matures defensively, he can do either position much like HB.

For potential trades, we dont really have many great pieces. We have mitchell (who im not keen on moving), HB and Holmes. Right now, none have much trade value. But just for craps and giggles...

3 way trade:
SAC gives: Holmes Barnes
SAC gets: Saric, PJW, Crowder
Why: Gives you better defensive toughness with PJW being a very good weak side shotblocker and crowder, while not the creator HB is (PJW could grow into that) and more shooting with a distinct upgrade at the bench positions (saric > metu). Also with Metu, TD, Delly, lyles, crowder, saric all coming off the books, you can easily give PJW a great contract (18-20M for 4-5 yrs) and try to retain lyles on a reasonable one as well.

CHA gives: PJW, Bouknight
CHA gets: Holmes, PHX 2024 1st rounder (lottery protection)
Why: they dont seem to be going anywhere with this squad. They gain a center who fits their play style better than plumpee (holmes thrived with Hali, and would likely be even more deadly with Ball). They also rid themselves of Bouknight and gain a 1st for PJW - which ironically may make their 2023.1st a more valuable piece.

PHX gives: Saric, Crowder, 2024 1st rounder
PHX gets: HB and Bouknight.
Why: Their 2024 1st is likely not going to be very high, so for a guy who refuses to play for them (crowder) , a guy who does really help them (Saric) and that 1st, they get a player who would theoretically start at PF for them, can defend 2-4, and historically hits outside shots, and if it doesnt work, comes off the books next year in time to pay Cam Johnson. Can also give Bridges breathers.

Brooklyn has absolutely no big man depth right now.
I wonder if there'd be some way to pry Royce O'Neale off their team by offering up Richaun and draft compensation (a package of second rounders)
He'd be a great pick up if the BKN blow it up, but they gave up a first for him.......and they are really thin on wings as well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He'd be a great pick up if the BKN blow it up, but they gave up a first for him.......and they are really thin on wings as well.
The weird thing about the Nets is that they are somehow both deep and thin at pretty much every position but center.
On paper, KD/Ben Simmons/Royce/Joe Harris/Watanabe/Edwards/TJ Warren should be one of the deepest forward units in the league. In reality, pretty much all of them are injured or coming back from injuries and Watanabe hasn’t been very good.
At guard, they’ve got Kyrie/Seth Curry/Patty Mills/Sumner/Cam Thomas who was getting rave reviews coming out of summer league but Kyrie is Kyrie, Seth has been injured, and Cam Thomas is actively trying to force his way off the team.
I don’t know what they do to fix things but their only assets at this point are KD (who they aren’t going to move until they absolutely have to) and a couple of their role players which, to me, seems like makes swap role players for different role players their only option at this point.
If I’m the Nets, Royce is probably the last role player I move but who knows what they’re thinking?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Usman Garuba is still a guy I'd like to see us target as a defensive stopper with some spot-up shooting potential. He's got some playmaking skills too. I see him as a poor man's Al Horford and a perfect fit for the role we're looking to fill. He's cracked Houston's rotation this year but he's 10th on the team in minutes played so far and they're probably going to be picking in the top 5 again so the minutes crunch is only going to get worse for him there. I don't think he would be unobtainable.

Usman Garuba is still a guy I'd like to see us target as a defensive stopper with some spot-up shooting potential. He's got some playmaking skills too. I see him as a poor man's Al Horford and a perfect fit for the role we're looking to fill. He's cracked Houston's rotation this year but he's 10th on the team in minutes played so far and they're probably going to be picking in the top 5 again so the minutes crunch is only going to get worse for him there. I don't think he would be unobtainable.
Houston, after this next draft is going to be in OkC territory where they have more young players than they can play. The pieces don’t fit all that well so I’ll be curious to see how they proceed. I’m not sure what it would take to get a guy like Garuba

Jalen McDaniels, 6'9 PF on the Hornets right now, Turns 25 in January, Free agent this summer. shooting 40% from 3 currently. solid defender. solid passer. positionally flexible.

Feel like he could end up a steal here. Might be a really good match for both player n team.
Oh that's interesting, I didn't know he was a UFA. He looks great this year and does address a bunch of our needs

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Jalen McDaniels, 6'9 PF on the Hornets right now, Turns 25 in January, Free agent this summer. shooting 40% from 3 currently. solid defender. solid passer. positionally flexible.

Feel like he could end up a steal here. Might be a really good match for both player n team.
He also trained with Doug Christie a little back before DC took on the Kings announcing gig. His brother obviously gets a lot of press (although I wonder if he could be had in a trade for a stabilizing vet presence given how bad things are getting in Minnesota) but I still feel like Jalen can be a good player in this league too.

RoCo is buried on the Clippers bench, and is someone I would love on this current Kings team. Great role player who can space the floor, good D (block, steal, rebound), and doesn't complain about touches.

Probably won't happen but I wish the Kings could trade Holmes for him straight up.

Pokusevski is the one, shot blocker/rim protector, improving 3 point shooter can handle/pass/unselfish he's a tremendous fit next to Sabonis /Murray at both ends and he's still like 20, he should have never been in the NBA the past few seasons (should have been playing for Mega) but he's finally showing what he's about. The Thunder might view him as redundant with Chet there next season and might want to cash in on some hype.

The block on Tatum than going coast to coast is insane.

Poku has improved tremendously and still has a long ways to go. I just don’t know what what okc would want for him if they decided a trade makes sense. Might have to wait until his restricted free agency

We should be looking for a SF or PF who:
  1. Is a good defender against SFs/PFs
  2. Can help protect the rim
  3. Can space the floor
  4. Is on the same timeline as our core

Ideally, you have two of those players at SF and PF around a ground bound Sabonis who lacks length and rim protection. That’s a lot harder to find at the SF spot (due to the rim protection component) but watching Murray defend SFs (and PGs/SGs), I think he can be that rare type of player at SF. These are the guys I’d keep my eye on:
  • OG Anunoby
  • Tari Eason
  • Chet Holmgren
  • Jonathan Isaac
  • Jaren Jackson Jr.
  • Jaden McDaniels
  • Jalen McDaniels
  • Aleksej Pokusevski
  • Isaiah Roby
  • Jabari Smith
  • Jalen Smith
  • PJ Washington
  • Grant Williams
Some of these guys are very likely unattainable and others still need to “prove it” but these guys seems to fit the bill of what we’d be looking for (some more than others) to maximize a team with Sabonis on it.

We should be looking for a SF or PF who:
  1. Is a good defender against SFs/PFs
  2. Can help protect the rim
  3. Can space the floor
  4. Is on the same timeline as our core

Ideally, you have two of those players at SF and PF around a ground bound Sabonis who lacks length and rim protection. That’s a lot harder to find at the SF spot (due to the rim protection component) but watching Murray defend SFs (and PGs/SGs), I think he can be that rare type of player at SF. These are the guys I’d keep my eye on:
  • OG Anunoby
  • Tari Eason
  • Chet Holmgren
  • Jonathan Isaac
  • Jaren Jackson Jr.
  • Jaden McDaniels
  • Jalen McDaniels
  • Aleksej Pokusevski
  • Isaiah Roby
  • Jabari Smith
  • Jalen Smith
  • PJ Washington
  • Grant Williams
Some of these guys are very likely unattainable and others still need to “prove it” but these guys seems to fit the bill of what we’d be looking for (some more than others) to maximize a team with Sabonis on it.
Issac and JJJ fit like a glove

We need Kyle Kuzma. Great 1 on 1 defender, can slash and hit mid range shots, not a great 3pr shooter or blocker, but he seems like a better and younger HB option. Can score and rebound better and a more active and versatile defender. He fits in our time line and I think 4 years and 90 million should be fair.