Possible Free agents

If they pick up Jokic's 4th year option for the 2018-19 season (around 1.7million), then he'll become a UFA in 2019. However, if they decline Jokic's option for the 2018-19 season, he becomes a RFA this summer. There's no QO on the table. It's just a team option.

Jokic doesn't control his fate in this scenario. Nuggets will most likely decline his option to make him a RFA this summer, then just match any max offers for him.
If I'm reading the article correctly, it states something about a qualifying offer if Denver declines the option. I don't know who is correct, you or the author. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

I can't imagine Denver letting Jokic go when they they have the ability to match. They would probably even pay to dump salary to keep him if they had to.

I'm riding the fence on Hezonja at this point. I don't know that I trust his sudden progress but he is attractive as a young and improving SF/PF who can shoot and handle. I think his game is a nice fit with our roster and I don't think he is going to require a massive contract like Parker (injury risk) or even Hood would might take.

At this point I would be happy to walk away with Hezonja as a FA unless we draft Porter Jr or Donic to play SF.
If Porter and Donic are not our pick, we will be in a great position to draft one of the frequently mentioned bigs.
Throw in Young, though not as high on my list for our team, this is a good draft.

No to Jokic! Slow footed big that cant play defence.
I wouldn't say he can't play defense.

When looking at Defensive On/Off, his team has been worse defensively with him off the floor the last two years.
When looking at DRPM, he's 53rd in the league this year and was 34th last year.
When looking at DRAPM, he's 63rd in the league last year (stat is not available for this year yet)

Sure, he's not the most athletic guy in the world, but defense takes more than athleticism.

Nuggets are matching any offer on Jokic. No reason to offer and tie up your cap space.

Parker is the only one I would be comfortable tying up cap space to make an offer to because he fits us perfect. Injury is obviously a concern and the Bucks probably begrudgingly match any offer. They will be a tax payer after that through.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Nuggets are matching any offer on Jokic. No reason to offer and tie up your cap space.

Parker is the only one I would be comfortable tying up cap space to make an offer to because he fits us perfect. Injury is obviously a concern and the Bucks probably begrudgingly match any offer. They will be a tax payer after that through.
I can't speak for the Bucks, but I think a lot of teams are taking a step back and asking themselves, can we win a championship with this team once were in the luxury tax. It's a lot of money to pay just to make the playoffs, and not get past the 2nd round. There's that fine line between a team on the way up, with more up left, and a team that's peaked, with no cap space left to improve.

No way Denver let's Jokic walk. It's a pipe dream
No one is saying Denver lets Jokic walk. But the cap space rules make this very interesting.

Denver has Jokic for very cheap right now. If they sign him as a RFA, they will lock him in but take up a ton of cap space restricting their options in 2019. If they pick up the cheap option for next year the cap hold should be way below Jokics real value. This strategy gives Denver the flexibility to sign a Leonard or other top free agent.

So the right choice is not an easy answer. The risk free approach is sign Jokic this summer as a Restricted free agent. But you take on other risk you get stuck in the good but not good enough land. Or you go all in and try to sign a top tier free agent and then Jokic, with the risk of possibly losing Jokic to another team.

No one is saying Denver lets Jokic walk. But the cap space rules make this very interesting.

Denver has Jokic for very cheap right now. If they sign him as a RFA, they will lock him in but take up a ton of cap space restricting their options in 2019. If they pick up the cheap option for next year the cap hold should be way below Jokics real value. This strategy gives Denver the flexibility to sign a Leonard or other top free agent.

So the right choice is not an easy answer. The risk free approach is sign Jokic this summer as a Restricted free agent. But you take on other risk you get stuck in the good but not good enough land. Or you go all in and try to sign a top tier free agent and then Jokic, with the risk of possibly losing Jokic to another team.
I mean... nah.

Jokic is already verging on a top 10 player. He's a true franchise player and Denver has an incredibly young core that's a long way away from their prime. They aren't contenders this year, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them be a top 5 team next season with a healthy Millsap and Harris/Murray/Jokic/Lyles all a year older.

Seriously how dumb do you have to be to give up on a 22 year old player you gave no chance too. Then only give him a chance when you’ve declined his option. Also he needed time to develop and play and instead Orlando stuck him on the bench.
I think he should be ours if the FO wants him. Unless of course it's not all about money for him

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Seriously how dumb do you have to be to give up on a 22 year old player you gave no chance too. Then only give him a chance when you’ve declined his option. Also he needed time to develop and play and instead Orlando stuck him on the bench.
We are talking about the Orlando Magic here. You know, the same team that traded away Oladipo for practically nothing.

If Kings are lucky enough to draft Ayton and sign Hezonja as a FA, we can safely say that we would have had a pretty good off-season. It would add talent to positions of need at C and SF. With Fox and Ayton taking most of the attention going forward, there would be plenty of open shots for the shooters out on the wing (Bogdanovic, Hezonja, Hield) etc.

If Giles is as good as advertized, then Ayton/Giles front court could be very beastly on the boards. Could be a pretty fun team to watch going forward.

I've been keeping a close eye on Hezonja lately. I think he's a PF because he just doesn't have the footspeed to guard wings. Many have already pointed out that he's been playing his best ball at PF.

You guys think he could eventually grow into a stretch 4? Hezonja will be a gamble. Lots of questions defensively that he can't answer right now.

I've been keeping a close eye on Hezonja lately. I think he's a PF because he just doesn't have the footspeed to guard wings. Many have already pointed out that he's been playing his best ball at PF.

You guys think he could eventually grow into a stretch 4? Hezonja will be a gamble. Lots of questions defensively that he can't answer right now.
Did Peja have the foot speed to guard wings? Hezonja is much more athletic than Peja ever was.

If he’s coming off the bench it won’t matter what position he plays and I think he can play SF. But we need to be postionless anyways

What I find odd is you consider Hezonja a PF while thinking Mikel Bridges is too small for SF when they are almost the same size.

What I find odd is you consider Hezonja a PF while thinking Mikel Bridges is too small for SF when they are almost the same size.
Hezonja doesn't have the footspeed to guard SGs or SFs. He also doesn't have good enough ball handling to get by SGs and SFs. He may be explosive, but he's got poor lateral quickness. Hezonja is around 6'9. He's taller than Mikal. Never said Hezonja can guard PFs, but he can't guard most wings.

Did Peja have the foot speed to guard wings? Hezonja is much more athletic than Peja ever was.
Peja wasn't the best defender... Hezonja is definitely more explosive, but Peja had slightly better footspeed.

Hezonja doesn't have the footspeed to guard SGs or SFs. He also doesn't have good enough ball handling to get by SGs and SFs. He may be explosive, but he's got poor lateral quickness. Hezonja is around 6'9. He's taller than Mikal. Never said Hezonja can guard PFs, but he can't guard most wings.

Peja wasn't the best defender... Hezonja is definitely more explosive, but Peja had slightly better footspeed.
Peja was a pretty good, underrated defender

I wonder if we could make a bid for DeAndre Jordan. Not a lot of teams will have space. I heard he put his home up for sale. I think the Clippers were gauging his market at the deadline as it might be tough for them to offer a sizeable deal

I am not a fan of emptying our pockets for Parker. Im done with "high risk high reward" moves, because we get burned a lot. The last thing i want to is to break the bank on a guy who can't even play and we waste valuable years of the rest of our teams progression.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I wonder if we could make a bid for DeAndre Jordan. Not a lot of teams will have space. I heard he put his home up for sale. I think the Clippers were gauging his market at the deadline as it might be tough for them to offer a sizeable deal
DeAndre wants to play in Texas

My school of thought for team building is to relatively ignore positions and just acquire all the talent you can. Therefore I have no issue if the Kings draft a player that plays the same position as Mario will. Give me the best player in the draft and the best affordable free agent regardless of position.

My school of thought for team building is to relatively ignore positions and just acquire all the talent you can. Therefore I have no issue if the Kings draft a player that plays the same position as Mario will. Give me the best player in the draft and the best affordable free agent regardless of position.
Also if the player is 6’6-6’8 and athletic they play multiple positions then. Example Porter and Mario both can play the 3 and 4 get both

The problem with this is that the draft comes before free agency.

If we draft Doncic at # 1 or #2 to play SF, Mario will not sign as a free agents knowing that our future SF was just drafted at the top of the draft.

Mario would not willingly go to a situation as a free agent where he may not be utilized again. He would want a good opportunity for extended minutes and have a high probablity to be the SF of the future with whichever team he choses.

The problem with this is that the draft comes before free agency.

If we draft Doncic at # 1 or #2 to play SF, Mario will not sign as a free agents knowing that our future SF was just drafted at the top of the draft.

Mario would not willingly go to a situation as a free agent where he may not be utilized again. He would want a good opportunity for extended minutes and have a high probablity to be the SF of the future with whichever team he choses.
If the basketball gods chose us as the lucky ones to get Doncic I’m not even gonna worry about Mario.

Will Barton from denver is the true "jamal crawford" type of player. No current room for him, but some Vlade magic could free up room for him.

Also, Dezmon would be a decent filler at the center spot. Shoots the 3 now too.