Possible Free agents

bajaden

Hall of Famer
See, not really. One good thing that Vlade and Co have done is keep a super clean cap sheet that any long-term major salary commitments to annoying vets we don't need in the next 3-4 years won't impact our ability to keep the young core:

2018 rookie- 4 more years
Fox/JJ/Mason/Giles- 3 more years
Skal- 2 more years
Bogdan- 2 more years
Buddy- 2 more years
WCS- 1 more year

Maybe you offer a similar deal we gave Hill this summer: 4 years/77 million with a team option for that 4th year (but it being fully guaranteed). Would be tough for a lot of teams to take on that risk and for us.... who comes and signs here anyway? Much less a player/prospect the caliber of Parker?

As far as Parker's game, he's a true flex player with the ability to guard the 3 and small-ball PF. He finally started shooting the 3 again last year after not doing it for some reason is first two years in the league (his shot was never a problem in college, was so strange) and hit a good clip of them. He started to develop nicely as a playmaker last year too and really protects the ball and limits turnovers. I think he could be even better at getting to the line too, once he steps out of Giannis shadow a bit and gets more control of the offense.

I'll be tuning in more for sure once he gets closer to 30 minutes and at full strength. I want to see if his excellent athleticism and bounce is still there and that he's not tentative.
Here's my problem with Parker. Out of a possible 303 games he's could have played since being in the league, he's only played in 157 of them. Missing 146 so far. I would be very reluctant to give a huge contract for 4 years to a player, that's only had one decent year of shooting the three, and misses close to half his games. Too big a risk as far as I'm concerned. I'm not denying his talent, just his durability...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hezonja 21-10-3 tonight Orlando fans must be livid turning down is contract it was like 5 mill. This is after trading away Oladipo and Harris
The Magic, rightly or wrongly are cleaning house. I'm certainly on board with going after Hezonja. He's still young, and starting to show some growth. The big mistake the Magic made was first not picking up his option, and second, not trading Hezonja at the trade deadline. They basically gave away Payton, but at least they got something for him. Now they've hamstrung themselves if they decide they want to keep Hezonja. I believe the most they can offer him is around 6 mil or so. It's going to be a buyers market this summer. Not many teams will have money. And the Kings will be in good position to pursue Hezonja if they indeed have interest.

This how a team like the Kings can get better. First, by putting yourself in position to make a move. And second, by taking advantage of another team's mistakes. It would be nice to be on the plus side of that equation for once.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The only reason we've been able to put together this team is because of the trade. Four players on the current roster are directly the result of that trade (Buddy, Fox, Justin, Giles). Without the trade, we don't have any.

Plus, we get a higher pick this year (discounting the injury DMC suffered this year), and the cap space gives some flexibility and options.

We can still hate the trade, but this roster wouldn't have been possible without it.
Yeah, your spot on. We wouldn't have Hield, or anything related to the New Orleans pick. Plus there's a good chance that if we hadn't made the trade, we might have captured the 8th spot in the playoffs, or just missed, which means we would have lost our own pick. So there wouldn't have been Fox. On top of that, we would have had to offer Cuz an extension, which would have paid him around 41 mil a year, putting us in a position where we wouldn't have much cap room to acquire players to support him. It truly was an either/or situation.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe. I think they're going to have to make a decision between Bledsoe and Parker on which one they want to keep with Middleton and Giannis. Don't think they'll pay all 4 as that'll likely be a luxury tax team; something the Bucks probably aren't going to do. And the 30+ mil they have tied into Delly/Snell/Henson for 2 more years makes that a hard sell for them to really improve on that core 4.

So we'll see. Giannis will be 25+ mil/year, Middleton will likely get somewhere close to that range and they're for sure going to work out an extension. Just depends which 3rd guy they want to pay.
Bledsoe is signed for another year, so they don't have to make a decision on him until next year. The only player of importance they have to make a decision on is Parker. I do think they regret a couple of the contracts they're locked into, like Henson's. Henson is making 11.4 mil this season and will make 10.5 mil next year. Pretty good money for 8.9 ppg and 6.9 rpg. Are you paying attention Willie?

https://www.google.com/amp/nba.nbcs...ng-nikola-jokic-in-second-round-now-what/amp/

Here’s an article on Jokic free agency apparently Jokic could wait to sign next year even if Denver declines the qualifying offer. By doing this he’d set himself up to get the supermax from Denver if he meets the requirements.

If he did that he’d be an unrestricted FA next year and Denver can offer 188 over 5 years and us 109 years. Now it would come up to Jokic being willing to give up 80mill to come here and play with his buddy Bogdan and a country legend Vlade. Let’s hope so. And he’d only be 23 next year he can make that money up later on

https://www.google.com/amp/nba.nbcs...ng-nikola-jokic-in-second-round-now-what/amp/

Here’s an article on Jokic free agency apparently Jokic could wait to sign next year even if Denver declines the qualifying offer. By doing this he’d set himself up to get the supermax from Denver if he meets the requirements.

If he did that he’d be an unrestricted FA next year and Denver can offer 188 over 5 years and us 109 years. Now it would come up to Jokic being willing to give up 80mill to come here and play with his buddy Bogdan and a country legend Vlade. Let’s hope so. And he’d only be 23 next year he can make that money up later on
Very interesting article, and solidifies my confidence that we will get him. Denver will not pay the luxury tax—its not a basketball market and the Kroenkes will not dip into profits. They also will not be able to get off Plumlee’s and Faried’s money in this trade market. If they decline the team option this year then they guarantee a return on Jokic via sign-and-trade. If they pick up the option then they risk upsetting him heading into 2019 UFA and losing him for nothing. Betting on him to make All-NBA next year is a big bet, albeit a calculated one with Boogie hurt.

Another player to watch is Kawhi if rumors are true about him being upset and he doesn’t sign the supermax this summer he’ll be traded. I’d throw the kitchen sing at him anybody but Bogdan

I can't see Denver letting Jokic walk. He's got all star potential if he keeps improving. They should extend him and try to trade Plumlee and Faried - attach a first if needs be - and try to get Chandler and Arthur's contracts off the books. Or accept a tax hit for a year or two until those contracts are off the books. They can't afford to let a player like him go if they have aspirations of being a regular play off team and potential contender with improvement from Jokic, Harris and Murray.

Plus if they trade him what are they going to get in return? Teams don't tend to swap all stars for potential all stars. So they would most likely end up with hoping the talent they get in return breaks out with them (e.g. Julius Randle), and the wrong deal could see them heading into another rebuild.

As for us, we don't really have the assets to make a deal work without leaving the cupboard bare. So as nice as it would be to get Jokic, we would be left in a bad situation because we'd have to give up too much to get him.

Yeah, not sure where this came from. Denver walked into a future top 10 player in the league, they aren't going to let him walk.
I think it's on the basis that Denver aren't likely to want to be a luxury tax team. So a big extension puts them into that bracket unless they can trade Plumlee and Faried, plus get Chandler and Arthur off the books whether they opt out or get traded.

For me I can't see them trading a player with Jokic's potential. They would face significant backlash on doing such a deal and would be unlikely to get fair value. Best bet is to take a tax hit and when those deals are off the books try to remain under the tax with smart roster management.

Why wouldn't Denver make him an RFA this year? It makes no sense on their end. Denver has all the power, while Jokic has none.

This is a great year for Kings to hae cap space. It may be a highly underrated part of moving Hill. Only about 6 teams have any cap space this year! That means its a great time to sign some bargains OR it jacks up the price for a team desperate to dump salary. Vlade has the Kings in perfect cap position just when it will be the moat valuable for the kings.

Well done Vlade well done

Why wouldn't Denver make him an RFA this year? It makes no sense on their end. Denver has all the power, while Jokic has none.
All he would have to do is sign the qualifying offer and he would be an unrestricted free agent the following year. If he became an all-star again, huge change in how much he could earn.

No to Jokic! Slow footed big that cant play defence.

Hezjona looks like a great fit and hopefully can be had at a good price, but id be willing to bid higher on him if needed.

Gordan seems unrealistic, kinda like last years otto porter. I like him but wouldnt gamble a max deal on him.

Parker is interesting, not sure what his value is but I wouldnt overpay for him. Such a big injury risk here.

Assest for a 1 to 2 year expiring. This and Hezonja wpuld be my most desired outcome. New Yorks 1st for Noah if it cpuld land a Bridges?

The only reason they might not is if they do not want to get hit with a luxury tax bill. The article in question states that trading Faried and Plumlee wouldn't be enough, they would also need to hope Chandler and Arthur opt out, or they trade them as well. Essentially they need to gut some of their roster in order to prevent themselves going well into the luxury tax. So if they manage to get those contracts off the books their roster will have less depth, and if they can't get them off the book they will be well into the luxury tax.

It depends on how generous their ownership is going to be. If money is no object, they'll extend him this off season to ensure he stays and pay any potential tax bill if they can't get them deals off the books. If money is an issue, then it makes what they do with Jokic this off season very interesting because he could hit open market well before he realistically should.

All he would have to do is sign the qualifying offer and he would be an unrestricted free agent the following year. If he became an all-star again, huge change in how much he could earn.
It's actually a team option, not a qualifying offer. It's all up to Denver, Jokic has no real power.

Hezjona looks lie a great fit and hopefully can be had at a good price.

Gordan seems unrealistic, kinda like last years otto porter. I like him but wouldnt gamble a max deal on him.

Parker is interesting, not sure what his value is but I wouldnt overpay for him. Such a big injury risk here.

Assest for a 1 to 2 year expiring. This and Hezonja wpuld be my most desired outcome. New Yorks 1st for Noah if it cpuld land a Bridges?
If you pair Jokic with someone that can make up for his shortcomings on the defensive end, it could work. It is why Denver went out and signed Millsap in free agency. Granted it doesn't solve his issue of being slow footed, but he is a very talented young player heading in the right direction.

Hezonja has done very well since starting at PF and does offer mismatches on the offensive end because of his skill set and ability, however he doesn't play good defense at PF and even his defense at SF and SG is less than desired.

If we could get the Knicks' first round pick to take Noah and his contract, then that would be acceptable because we could get another young piece for our team, however I doubt they attach any first round pick because they are unlikely to be free agent players this off season. I think they are likely to wait until 2019 when they can clear more cap space to help Porzingis. Then again they are the Knicks and that could see them do something unexpected like giving up their first round pick to clear space for free agents.

The only reason they might not is if they do not want to get hit with a luxury tax bill. The article in question states that trading Faried and Plumlee wouldn't be enough, they would also need to hope Chandler and Arthur opt out, or they trade them as well. Essentially they need to gut some of their roster in order to prevent themselves going well into the luxury tax. So if they manage to get those contracts off the books their roster will have less depth, and if they can't get them off the book they will be well into the luxury tax.

It depends on how generous their ownership is going to be. If money is no object, they'll extend him this off season to ensure he stays and pay any potential tax bill if they can't get them deals off the books. If money is an issue, then it makes what they do with Jokic this off season very interesting because he could hit open market well before he realistically should.
I don't think Jokic is as good as some people make him out to be, but I don't see anyway the Nuggets don't make him a RFA. There's no guarantees he signs with the team next year as an UFA. They could risk losing him completely.

They can get rid of Chandler's or Faried's contract easily if they attach their 2018 1st rounder. They are expiring deals for the 2018-19 season.

Another thing to keep in mind.. you're talking about paying the regular max. vs the supermax. Denver would rather pay the regular max.

You guys are talking like Denver is a market that cares about basketball and has owners that care about winning. Neither of those are true.
Even if that means they are open to trading him, he is not going to come cheap. Do we have the assets to make it happen?

Doubtful. We might have to send Willie, Buddy, Skal, Giles, and co plus this year's first round pick and potentially more to stand a chance. We would have to gut this roster to acquire him and frankly it might not be worth it.

I don't think Jokic is as good as some people make him out to be, but I don't see anyway the Nuggets don't make him a RFA. There's no guarantees he signs with the team next year as an UFA. They could risk losing him completely.

They can get rid of Chandler's or Faried's contract easily if they attach their 2018 1st rounder. They are expiring deals for the 2018-19 season.

Another thing to keep in mind.. you're talking about paying the regular max. vs the supermax. Denver would rather pay the regular max.
Fair point. It makes sense for them to pay the regular max rather than the super max. That would be easier for them to stomach.

My view on Jokic is that he's a talented player, but I'm not convinced at this point that he's going to be an elite player. I think he's more likely to peak at Drummond's level than someone like Cousins or Davis. I could be wrong, but time will tell.

Hezjona looks like a great fit and hopefully can be had at a good price, but id be willing to bid higher on him if needed.

See I disagree on Jokic. I think he would be fantastic for the team if Giles is anywhere near as good as they are saying he is and if we miss out on Ayton.

Jokic
Giles
Hezonja
Bogdanovic
Fox

That's the line up I could get excited about provided Giles is as good as advertised. Giles can cover defensively, both are good rebounders and there is plenty of shooting, creativity and flexibility on the team.

Its all pointless. Denver are not letting Jokic go.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Which Bridge do you want to cross? :D

It's actually a team option, not a qualifying offer. It's all up to Denver, Jokic has no real power.
If they do the team option, he is unrestricted the year after. I thought I had read that they could decline the option and make him a restricted free agent this summer.

If they do the team option, he is unrestricted the year after. I thought I had read that they could decline the option and make him a restricted free agent this summer.
If they pick up Jokic's 4th year option for the 2018-19 season (around 1.7million), then he'll become a UFA in 2019. However, if they decline Jokic's option for the 2018-19 season, he becomes a RFA this summer. There's no QO on the table. It's just a team option.

Jokic doesn't control his fate in this scenario. Nuggets will most likely decline his option to make him a RFA this summer, then just match any max offers for him.