Players that I would target with the 9th pick:

Kai Jones is up there with Kuminga as far as prospects that scare me. Elite measureables and sky high potential but also high odds of busting.
Yeah he's still probably 4th on the likely prospects to be available at 9 (Moody/Johnson/Wagner/Jones), but I think I'd rather chase his upside/archetype over Sengun's. He should be able to thrive in transition with Fox/Hali and i'd be surprised if he's not an elite rim runner almost immediately. He has that serious defensive unicorn potential with the athleticism to rim protect and defend the perimeter.

dude12

Hall of Famer
For those guys who study the draft prospects every year, how does Kai Jones compare to Bam Adebayo at the same time in their careers? Any potential for that type of comp?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah he's still probably 4th on the likely prospects to be available at 9 (Moody/Johnson/Wagner/Jones), but I think I'd rather chase his upside/archetype over Sengun's. He should be able to thrive in transition with Fox/Hali and i'd be surprised if he's not an elite rim runner almost immediately. He has that serious defensive unicorn potential with the athleticism to rim protect and defend the perimeter.
My fear is that when I watched him he wasn't really a rim protector. How much of that is due to Texas' roster and Sims I don't know. But the worst case scenario is that he's essentially a big wing instead of a center.

For those guys who study the draft prospects every year, how does Kai Jones compare to Bam Adebayo at the same time in their careers? Any potential for that type of comp?
He's switchable like Bam but they aren't all that similar as prospects. Adebayo was shorter/stouter and more of a traditional big while Jones did more work on the perimeter

My fear is that when I watched him he wasn't really a rim protector. How much of that is due to Texas' roster and Sims I don't know. But the worst case scenario is that he's essentially a big wing instead of a center.

He's switchable like Bam but they aren't all that similar as prospects. Adebayo was shorter/stouter and more of a traditional big while Jones did more work on the perimeter
Exactly. Bam also turned out to be a great passer which I don't think anyone anticipated. Made him much more valuable.

Really? That comparison never even entered my mind when watching Hali in college. That writer was way off.
Yeah, other than a being a playmaking SG perhaps not even close. Haliburton will likely never be the iso scorer Salmons was. And thankfully he's also not the same dribble, dribble, dribble, drive out of a wide open catch and shoot opportunity Salmons was either, lol.

Yeah, Jones is a Bagley type of big, pure and simple. Now, he might have the intensity that Bagley doesn't but if he can't transition to center full time he's going to have the same issues Bagley does.

The big difference with Bam as I've heard in interviews he's one of the stronger players in the league. He's a beast physically. That altogether is different.

Yeah, Jones is a Bagley type of big, pure and simple. Now, he might have the intensity that Bagley doesn't but if he can't transition to center full time he's going to have the same issues Bagley does.

The big difference with Bam as I've heard in interviews he's one of the stronger players in the league. He's a beast physically. That altogether is different.
How well does he set screens compared to Bagley?

The most impressive part of that was him hitting 4 threes in a row at the end.

Highlight reels with dunks do nothing for me as far as player evaluation goes other than it's nice knowing they can dunk better than Buddy can.
The bad thing for him is it seems like some pundits are doing the same thing to that they did to Marvin in comparing him to Giannis. No, no, no, not fair. This is like the same thing back in the day when every skinny point F was the next KG. The expectation ruined more than a few decent players.

The bad thing for him is it seems like some pundits are doing the same thing to that they did to Marvin in comparing him to Giannis. No, no, no, not fair. This is like the same thing back in the day when every skinny point F was the next KG. The expectation ruined more than a few decent players.
Yeah there's a lot of players that can drive from the 3 point line and dunk while looking really good when no one is guarding them.

Doing it in a crowd is a much different story.

Yeah there's a lot of players that can drive from the 3 point line and dunk while looking really good when no one is guarding them.

Doing it in a crowd is a much different story.
And that's my one complaint about Jones. End to end he's a great athlete, but he's not great when it comes to off the dribble acceleration so I wouldn't expect him to be a tremendous threat running pick and roll. He's most fluid while in motion. He's kind of similar to Amare Stoudemire without the same ability to finish over the top of defenders.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I would say that Adebayo is a decent comp. I think Jones is ahead of Bam at this point in his career, but I can see a similar outcome. When Adebayo was at Kentucky, I had serious doubts that he would ever make it in the NBA. If Kai puts in the same amount of work, I see him having a successful career.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think that when someone is critical of a player because they're skinny, then it's fair to point out that Giannis or Tyson Chandleer etc. were also very skinny when they came into the league. However, that doesn't mean that your suggesting a similar outcome. I think Jones has pretty good handles for a a 6'11" player. He didn't start playing basketball until he was 15 years old. So yeah, there is some risk involved with him. I wouldn't say that he's a boom or bust player, but it's possible that he'll never reach expectations. On the other hand, if he does, then you have a steal on your hands. Bottom line is that I don't see him as a possible failure.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I think that in some ways, Jones is being blamed for how he was used. No, he didn't play like a traditional center, but then they had Sims representing that group. So if you want to get both Sims and Jones on the floor together, and Jones has some game away from the basket, then he ends up playing most of the time on the perimeter. Despite playing away from the basket, he put up similar per 40 numbers as Sims, except for rebounding, which makes sense. Both players averaged around 1.7 blocks. Also, remember that Sims was a senior and Jones was a sophomore.

Sims played just over two minutes more a game than Jones, but some of that was on Jones, who was in foul trouble a lot. Someone suggested that he had trouble finishing over players at the basket. That was actually something he was good at. Running the floor and dunking over defenders. There's no doubt that he's still on the raw side, but he has all the tools to be a very good NBA player. He's probably two to three years away from reaching his total potential.

I think that when someone is critical of a player because they're skinny, then it's fair to point out that Giannis or Tyson Chandleer etc. were also very skinny when they came into the league. However, that doesn't mean that your suggesting a similar outcome. I think Jones has pretty good handles for a a 6'11" player. He didn't start playing basketball until he was 15 years old. So yeah, there is some risk involved with him. I wouldn't say that he's a boom or bust player, but it's possible that he'll never reach expectations. On the other hand, if he does, then you have a steal on your hands. Bottom line is that I don't see him as a possible failure.
Yeah, that's fine but during that pro workout I think his name was brought up in terms of his skill and potential level, or even style as a player. And I've heard it elsewhere. If Jones is going to effectively run pick and roll at that level he'll basically have to become the exact player he's not or didn't show much of in college. He has talents that can be utilized but if the team he goes to does some of the same things the Kings have done with Bagley in terms of development then he could be a hit or miss candidate. Although he is already more comfortable as a spot up big.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, that's fine but during that pro workout I think his name was brought up in terms of his skill and potential level, or even style as a player. And I've heard it elsewhere. If Jones is going to effectively run pick and roll at that level he'll basically have to become the exact player he's not or didn't show much of in college. He has talents that can be utilized but if the team he goes to does some of the same things the Kings have done with Bagley in terms of development then he could be a hit or miss candidate. Although he is already more comfortable as a spot up big.
As I've stated, I didn't like the way Jones was used at Texas. When they ran the P&R they primarily ran it with Sims. A player can't just do what he wants unless he has a green light from the coach, which I doubt Jones had. When Cousins played at Kentucky, he was stuck in the post, and would have been on the bench if he left there. People were surprised that he had game away from the basket once in the NBA. Personally I wouldn't put Jones in the boom or bust category. The player I'd probably have there is Keon Johnson.

As I've stated, I didn't like the way Jones was used at Texas. When they ran the P&R they primarily ran it with Sims. A player can't just do what he wants unless he has a green light from the coach, which I doubt Jones had. When Cousins played at Kentucky, he was stuck in the post, and would have been on the bench if he left there. People were surprised that he had game away from the basket once in the NBA. Personally I wouldn't put Jones in the boom or bust category. The player I'd probably have there is Keon Johnson.
I'm not talking as a big in pick and roll but rather as a ball handler, I must not have been clear on that my mistake. This is what makes Giannis special. His ability to square up and get to the rack at his size by going around defenders especially off a high pnr. Kai has some driving off of his spot shot but we don't really know how he'll do if someone were to set a screen for him and run pick and roll off of him as a play maker. His passing and court vision need work. And honestly he doesn't look like an elite driver from the 3 point line in considering how help cuts him off regularly. If you noticed in his workouts they accentuated what he does great, run end to end and finish. And more than a few of those were 4 steps after picking up the ball.

Yeah, I don't know if he's a boom or bust guy. I think it's relative to role and expectation as to how high he'll get on the talent scale. And of course what team he goes to. For a team needing a spot big man that play that tweener 4/5 in not such a bad way he'll be a great fit.

Last edited:
I'm officially burnt out on the draft and prospects haha. Lets get it over with and get on to summer league! I can't wait to watch my fav prospects even when they are on different teams. I really hope we end up with a second pick in the mid first too!

If it came down to it
Moody over Jalen Johnson and Wagner
Wagner and most everyone else over Kispert
Giddey or Moody is a good question on which guy would the Kings take.
I think Kispert will not pan out.
I’ve heard too many things on Jalen Johnson now that I would be scared off.

A million dollar question is what do the Kings do if Kuminga falls because I think if anyone falls, it’s going to be Kuminga. There are enough people starting to question certain aspects on Kuminga that he makes me nervous.

A good 3 and D wing…..full sized wing or one with length would be awesome to come away with from this draft. You can swing for the fences with a Jalen Johnson but you may come up empty. Take the standup double with Moody and he fits a gigantic need.
I liked Kuminga - pretty smooth looking player - he was who I thought the Kings should draft behind Mobley being #1 and Jalen Green #2 . I also liked Barnes maybe at 5th. Wagner 6th - liked the way he moves his feet on defense for his size - see him being picked for defense and work on his offense - most guys its revers. Moody would be ok - can always use good shooting.

Maybe, or depending on how far along each of them are in their jump it’s sending another message.
Quite a few mocks have the Kings picking Wagner - we will see. If Kuminga slides down, pick him up over Wagner - I like Kuminga tenacity and run-out speed - some wicked spin moves to either hand - pretty impressive motor - didn't see good jump-shooting on the move - that's harder for players to master well. His defense looked only average though as opposed to Wagner. Showed some occasional passing highlights.