Players that I would target with the 9th pick:

yeah I would prefer to keep it on Jones.

I can say with certainty that getting good grades has little to nothing to do with BBIQ. Why can I be certain? Well because I graduated top of my class in MBA and I have near zero BBIQ. My children both have very high IQ’s ( one is an Olympic Water Polo player and one played college basketball) which they got from their mother. She will routinely see things in real time that I have to rewind to see. So I am living proof book IQ and basketball IQ is uncorrelated. ;)

that being said I can’t say for certain if Jones has or doesn’t have BBIQ. I haven’t seen enough film of him to know how effectively he anticipates the moves of his opponents. Is he Wagner level anticipation, normal participation or does everyone in the building know X wants to go left but him? I appreciate your perception on the topic. I will say if he lacks skill and BBIQ, that is a type of player I think we should avoid.
There was a player a few years ago that came into the league as a great athlete who was rough around the edges. He was known as a hard worker and was highly intelligent. It took him a few years to really make his mark, but Jaylen Brown has has turned into a pretty good player.

All high IQ means is a higher capacity to learn, and it would appear to me that Jones has that. He does have good instincts, and a natural feel for the game. What he lacks is the experience that a player who starts playing age 5 or 6 would have. There were times when he was out of position on defense, or came to help a step late. But those things come with teaching and experience. Shaka Smart said that he was very coachable and the hardest working big man he ever coached. That's good enough for me. Beyond that, I'll let McNair figure the rest out .

One last thing. No one comes out of the womb with a basketball and complete knowledge of how to play the game. It's a learned process. But I do think that some people have a natural feel for the game along with good instincts. I think your born with those things, like being able to run fast. You either can, or you can't, and if you can't run fast, you never will. Of course it's easy to test running, but not so easy test those intangibles. Since you have a high IQ, it's my belief that if you had dedicated your life to basketball, the BBIQ would have come. The natural instincts, the hand/eye coordination, the foot speed and leaping ability I can't speak to. Having all the tools certainly helps.
I respectfully disagree.

Basketball IQ to me is the ability to see and process what is happening around you and based on those visual clues be able to understand what the opponent is trying to accomplish or better predict what the opponent will do. In my case it is striking because mine is low and the rest of my family is very high. So being the family retard I have put lots of analytical thought into it.

BBIQ is absolutely not something that can be learned because to learn from it you have to be able to perceive it. I will state definitively my wife can see things in real time I never see. The best analogy I can provide is the difference between camera’s that operate at different frame rates. A higher speed camera captures more frames and provides more detail to the consumer of the image. As you increase in level the speed of the game increases and to keep up the “camera” must operate at a higher frame rate.

Luckily for me it’s easy to stop and rewind and see things. My wife points something out and I can rewind and see it. But I never see it in the moment. To me, not understanding this distinction is Vlade’s biggest failing. But people with high IQ’s struggle to understand why others don’t “see” the obvious. The point is they don’t “see”. And under stress their focus and field of vision my narrow.

BTW, while I think this theory is important in basketball drafting, I think it’s even more important in police work. If all cops were screened less on book IQ and more on sports IQ, we would have less deaths by cop.

There was a player a few years ago that came into the league as a great athlete who was rough around the edges. He was known as a hard worker and was highly intelligent. It took him a few years to really make his mark, but Jaylen Brown has has turned into a pretty good player.
no one said someone can’t be book smart and have a high BBIQ. But just because a person has both does not make them the same.

When I hear BBIQ I think of what STDog is talking about(becuase I lack it too). Where a guy can tell a play is going a certian way once something else happens, or seeing that gap is closing and still getting a pass through, or knowing where to be to get a rebound, or automatically seeing players out of position.

It's not X's and O's IMO.

When I hear BBIQ I think of what STDog is talking about(becuase I lack it too). Where a guy can tell a play is going a certian way once something else happens, or seeing that gap is closing and still getting a pass through, or knowing where to be to get a rebound, or automatically seeing players out of position.

It's not X's and O's IMO.
I would think you could be book smart but have poor reaction and comprehension in real time. But on the other hand, one who has great reaction and comprehension in real time, tends not to be lacking in intelligence. May not be what you would consider book smart but even if not recognized an innate understanding of physics.

On improving basketball IQ - although I acknowledge players have different ceilings - some very limited - I think everyone can improve their ability to perceive things and their ability to make decisions on a basketball court. It's not easy to study, but there is evidence that areas of your brain adapt to the specific type of activity you perform (e.g. Here). And there is this Australian sport science researcher who started to dig into perception/ skill/ and decision making a few years ago (some of his stuff is discussed Here and Here). I think a player who has played less - like Jones - should have greater scope to improve than someone whose father had them practicing layups in the womb. But whether they will get the reps and make the leap - no clue. And just because you can improve basketball IQ and decision making, surely it is easier to develop a spot up shot from the corner or your ability to make a layup with your week hand than it is to anticipate plays? Anyway - I think someone here - or maybe a few people here - made the point that post-Luca (or post GS?) their biggest takeaway was to draft basketball players, not just athletes. I'm not saying anything about Jones because I haven't seen him play - but - generally - if there are guys who have demonstrated good decision making (like a Giddey) who also have the requisite athletic profile but maybe not the shot, then they should be prioritised over someone who has the athletic profile but maybe not the decision making.

On improving basketball IQ - although I acknowledge players have different ceilings - some very limited - I think everyone can improve their ability to perceive things and their ability to make decisions on a basketball court. It's not easy to study, but there is evidence that areas of your brain adapt to the specific type of activity you perform (e.g. Here). And there is this Australian sport science researcher who started to dig into perception/ skill/ and decision making a few years ago (some of his stuff is discussed Here and Here). I think a player who has played less - like Jones - should have greater scope to improve than someone whose father had them practicing layups in the womb. But whether they will get the reps and make the leap - no clue. And just because you can improve basketball IQ and decision making, surely it is easier to develop a spot up shot from the corner or your ability to make a layup with your week hand than it is to anticipate plays? Anyway - I think someone here - or maybe a few people here - made the point that post-Luca (or post GS?) their biggest takeaway was to draft basketball players, not just athletes. I'm not saying anything about Jones because I haven't seen him play - but - generally - if there are guys who have demonstrated good decision making (like a Giddey) who also have the requisite athletic profile but maybe not the shot, then they should be prioritised over someone who has the athletic profile but maybe not the decision making.
To be clear I’m not saying it can’t be improved but you can’t go beyond what God put in. If any one is really interested in the topic I would recommend reading “The Sports Gene” which talks about this topic in depth and how some people plateau out regardless of how much practice is included.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
To be clear I’m not saying it can’t be improved but you can’t go beyond what God put in. If any one is really interested in the topic I would recommend reading “The Sports Gene” which talks about this topic in depth and how some people plateau out regardless of how much practice is included.
that's a great read. lots to do about your upbringings and environment that eventually molds you into the athlete one becomes in the earlier stages and further

Interesting post on Rugby. That link is more what I am referring to than the muscle memory links. Muscle memory is certainly something different. As an all American swimmer I had plenty of muscle memory but still have zero BBIQ.

What that link doesn’t measure, and what “The Sports Gene” does talk about is speed of perception. Having watched Water Polo from high school, to college, to professional.... like most team sports the speed of the game is a major difference. The ability to read the game at one level doesn’t translate to higher levels as the speed overwhelm thems.

I saw some Kai Jones videos today and I was very impressed. Seemed to be able to knock down a jump shot (I'm sure it will improve with time) and I really liked his intensity and defensive instincts. Footwork looked pretty solid to me at times as well. I was completely sold

Kai Jones, Jalen Johnson, Davion Mitchell I'd be totally cool with any of these 3 at 9. I don't know about Johnson's character, but he has game for sure.

Kai Jones looked way better than Garuba to me
No more slender skill/athlete bigs in the lotto and especially that high if they kind of a fringe star candidate please. I don't see it. I saw the Kings worked out his teammate Sims, I'd rather have him to be honest.

Interesting post on Rugby. That link is more what I am referring to than the muscle memory links. Muscle memory is certainly something different. As an all American swimmer I had plenty of muscle memory but still have zero BBIQ.

What that link doesn’t measure, and what “The Sports Gene” does talk about is speed of perception. Having watched Water Polo from high school, to college, to professional.... like most team sports the speed of the game is a major difference. The ability to read the game at one level doesn’t translate to higher levels as the speed overwhelm thems.
It's such a complicated 'measure' to try and synthesise into just a couple of things, let alone to judge players by.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No more slender skill/athlete bigs in the lotto and especially that high if they kind of a fringe star candidate please. I don't see it. I saw the Kings worked out his teammate Sims, I'd rather have him to be honest.
I think you make a mistake when you start lumping athlete's in groups based on their height, weight , size etc. People tend to forget what some players looked like when they came into the NBA. Antetokounmpo was a bit shorter, and about the same weight as Jones when he came into the NBA. Actually, if you watched the video of Kai, then watch this video, and you'll see why some scouts have used Antetokounmpo as a partial comp.

By no means am I saying that Kai will be the next Antetokounmpo. I'm saying that using the guide lines being laid out, we wouldn't have drafted Giannis. Anthony Davis came into the league on the skinny side as well. Does anyone remember what Ty Chandler looked like when he came into the league.

Last edited:

I went to biz school with a buddy, who played high D1 hoops and is now a player dev coach in the NBA. Started as a scout with the Spurs, of all places. What you refer to as game speed, he calls wiring and upload speed. It’s real. For every Halliburton, there are thousands more, who can’t make that transition.

Along these lines, Grant Naoear used to say that the Kings knew they made a mistake with Thomas Robinson after his first couple of practices with the team. You just don’t know until the player is actually at that level. Hence why players are more likely to bust than hit.

It's such a complicated 'measure' to try and synthesise into just a couple of things, let alone to judge players by.
Sure it is complicated and difficult to measure though I suspect the team that figures it out will have a huge competitive advantage. With the advances in VR I think measuring it might be more possible.

I think you make a mistake when you start lumping athlete's in groups based on their height, weight , size etc. People tend to forget what some players looked like when they came into the NBA. Antetokounmpo was a bit shorter, and about the same weight as Jones when he came into the NBA. Actually, if you watched the video of Kai, then watch this video, and you'll see why some scouts have used Antetokounmpo as a partial comp.

By no means am I saying that Kai will be the next Antetokounmpo. I'm saying that using the guide lines being laid out, we wouldn't have drafted Giannis. Anthony Davis came into the league on the skinny side as well. Does anyone remember what Ty Chandler looked like when he came into the league.
I think your point is especially true for young kids that haven’t matured. I really wish we had a mid first round pick to target Zaire Williams.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think your point is especially true for young kids that haven’t matured. I really wish we had a mid first round pick to target Zaire Williams.
I share that wish. Although I doubt that NBA teams are sleeping on Williams. He's a very talented kid that just had a rough year. I could make a similar case for Boston. Any other picks we may or may not acquire will likely happen on the day of the draft. I would love to move up somehow and get Mobley. Who knows, maybe the lottery will be kind to us.

Yeah, you don't want to lump players in but relative to era it's a pretty good indicator of where they might fall. Not all things are equal, situation is everything, and I think you make a mistake when you keep making the same mistakes as a franchise when you've proven your worth in developing players like that. The fact is, the Kings don't do well with those types. Jones is far closer to a Harry Giles than he is a Giannis. Jones is a skilled big man, not an exceptional athlete but decent. On the right team he can potentially produce but as a player probably too small to full time at C that would sink to the bottom in Sac like those who have come before him. Make Bagley work first and don't add any lesser versions of possibly the same player. And if Kai were considered a lock at number 1 like Davis you let value be the decider, he's not though. Also Chandler was straight out of high school in a different era of early physical preperation.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, you don't want to lump players in but relative to era it's a pretty good indicator of where they might fall. Not all things are equal, situation is everything, and I think you make a mistake when you keep making the same mistakes as a franchise when you've proven your worth in developing players like that. The fact is, the Kings don't do well with those types. Jones is far closer to a Harry Giles than he is a Giannis. Jones is a skilled big man, not an exceptional athlete but decent. On the right team he can potentially produce but as a player probably too small to full time at C that would sink to the bottom in Sac like those who have come before him. Make Bagley work first and don't add any lesser versions of possibly the same player. And if Kai were considered a lock at number 1 like Davis you let value be the decider, he's not though. Also Chandler was straight out of high school in a different era of early physical preperation.
Look, I'm a results person, and arguments have to be logical. What difference does it make whether Chandler came straight out of highschool or not. We wern't talking about age, but physical descriptions. Big men who had the height and length, but lacked a mature body. You see you lost me when you said that Jones wasn't an exceptional athlete but decent. I'm going to be kind here and simply say your wrong. Jones is an elite athlete, if you don't think so, then you've never watched him play. You see, when someone questions a players handles, or the form on his jumpshot, that's fine. But when you say someone is just basically an average athlete, when in fact he's one of the best athlete's in the draft, you totally lose me.

Jones is five times the athlete that Giles is and it's not even close. Were talking about a player that beats everyone down the floor 95% of the time. He outruns guards while dribbling the ball. To question his skill level is fine, but to question something that's so obvious as his athleticism makes me wonder about anything else you say.

Look, I'm a results person, and arguments have to be logical. What difference does it make whether Chandler came straight out of highschool or not. We wern't talking about age, but physical descriptions. Big men who had the height and length, but lacked a mature body. You see you lost me when you said that Jones wasn't an exceptional athlete but decent. I'm going to be kind here and simply say your wrong. Jones is an elite athlete, if you don't think so, then you've never watched him play. You see, when someone questions a players handles, or the form on his jumpshot, that's fine. But when you say someone is just basically an average athlete, when in fact he's one of the best athlete's in the draft, you totally lose me.

Jones is five times the athlete that Giles is and it's not even close. Were talking about a player that beats everyone down the floor 95% of the time. He outruns guards while dribbling the ball. To question his skill level is fine, but to question something that's so obvious as his athleticism makes me wonder about anything else you say.
Because you were comparing someone being skinny straight out of high school with someone that had a year of high level college ball and the training that goes with it under his belt. I watched him play, one of the main players I followed early was Greg Brown. I'd personally leave "exceptional" to a very select few but that's just me. And where did I compare Giles and Kai as athletes? I was compariing them as skill bigs at their highest level. Kai Jones probably isn't going to be taking people up top and beating them off the dribble consistently like Giannis nor running pick and roll as a lead ball handler. And when he does there's more of an effort and body involved. He reminds me of a Christrian Wood type, which I believe I stated in a previous post. Those players can have serious value on the right team and if used accordingly, but I don't see that in Sac when they have someone of a higher potential level in Bagley manning that spot ATM.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Because you were comparing someone being skinny straight out of high school with someone that had a year of high level college ball and the training that goes with it under his belt. I watched him play, one of the main players I followed early was Greg Brown. I'd personally leave "exceptional" to a very select few but that's just me. And where did I compare Giles and Kai as athletes? I was compariing them as skill bigs at their highest level. Kai Jones probably isn't going to be taking people up top and beating them off the dribble consistently like Giannis nor running pick and roll as a lead ball handler. And when he does there's more of an effort and body involved. He reminds me of a Christrian Wood type, which I believe I stated in a previous post. Those players can have serious value on the right team and if used accordingly, but I don't see that in Sac when they have someone of a higher potential level in Bagley manning that spot ATM.
My problem with Bagley has never been about his potential or current skill level, it's been with his ability to remain on the court, which has stunted his growth. I never would have thrown his name in along with Willie's. Two entirely different players. As for Giles, you were talking about Kai's athleticism, and in the next breath you said you saw him more like Giles etc. So excuse me for being a bit confused on your intent. Personally, I find this whole conversation ridiculous and I'm done with it. I'm simply giving my opinion about some of the players. And that's all it is, an opinion. I tend to look for what a player can do, because that's what attracts me to the player in the first place. If I desired, I could make just about every player look unacceptable.

Anyone remember the arguments I had with people over Tatum. He wasn't athletic! He couldn't create his own shot! He was Rudy Gay Light! etc. etc. Just where the hell are those brilliant people now? It's the same dam thing every year, so excuse me if I get a bit tired of it. Sorry, but I'm a bit on the cranky side today. It comes with age, at least that's my excuse. Look, never lose sight of the fact that were talking about 18 and 19 year old's for the most part, and remember how you were when you were that age. I'd hate to think that the rest of my future was based on how I thought and acted at age 18. Were talking about kids.

My problem with Bagley has never been about his potential or current skill level, it's been with his ability to remain on the court, which has stunted his growth. I never would have thrown his name in along with Willie's. Two entirely different players. As for Giles, you were talking about Kai's athleticism, and in the next breath you said you saw him more like Giles etc. So excuse me for being a bit confused on your intent. Personally, I find this whole conversation ridiculous and I'm done with it. I'm simply giving my opinion about some of the players. And that's all it is, an opinion. I tend to look for what a player can do, because that's what attracts me to the player in the first place. If I desired, I could make just about every player look unacceptable.

Anyone remember the arguments I had with people over Tatum. He wasn't athletic! He couldn't create his own shot! He was Rudy Gay Light! etc. etc. Just where the hell are those brilliant people now? It's the same dam thing every year, so excuse me if I get a bit tired of it. Sorry, but I'm a bit on the cranky side today. It comes with age, at least that's my excuse. Look, never lose sight of the fact that were talking about 18 and 19 year old's for the most part, and remember how you were when you were that age. I'd hate to think that the rest of my future was based on how I thought and acted at age 18. Were talking about kids.
As was I, you chose to respond to my post and I have no problem with your opinion and welcome your response since this is all just friendly debate between basketball nerds ;) who happen to be Kings fans :confused:( lol) and I certainly appreciate your write ups and links to vids, but just because there are certain critiques of a player doesn't mean people necessarily hate them or think they won't be valuable but I do think every single decision in this draft has to be compared and contrasted with where the Kings are at currently and the environment that player will come into matters.

And there are always arguments about players every year, but I'm sure most of us feel the same, we hope whoever the Kings draft turns out to be a stud and whoever they pass up or don't get busts. Ha ha. To me draft threads are a process since everything boils down to situation in the end. If the Kings were drafting 1-3 vs. 9-11 it completely changes things. Certain players might be higher on my list than previously. For instance, Franz Wagner. Prior to knowing the Kings would towards the back end of the lottery my opinion on him would be eh, role player with less upside than others, but now seeing where they are and the needs of the team heading into summer my opinion of him as a fit changes drastically. I don't see him being a franchise guy still but I think he can surely help this franchise more than most of the other options out there.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
As was I, you chose to respond to my post and I have no problem with your opinion and welcome your response since this is all just friendly debate between basketball nerds ;) who happen to be Kings fans :confused:( lol) and I certainly appreciate your write ups and links to vids, but just because there are certain critiques of a player doesn't mean people necessarily hate them or think they won't be valuable but I do think every single decision in this draft has to be compared and contrasted with where the Kings are at currently and the environment that player will come into matters.

And there are always arguments about players every year, but I'm sure most of us feel the same, we hope whoever the Kings draft turns out to be a stud and whoever they pass up or don't get busts. Ha ha. To me draft threads are a process since everything boils down to situation in the end. If the Kings were drafting 1-3 vs. 9-11 it completely changes things. Certain players might be higher on my list than previously. For instance, Franz Wagner. Prior to knowing the Kings would towards the back end of the lottery my opinion on him would be eh, role player with less upside than others, but now seeing where they are and the needs of the team heading into summer my opinion of him as a fit changes drastically. I don't see him being a franchise guy still but I think he can surely help this franchise more than most of the other options out there.
Well to be honest with you, I've never wished ill will on any player. I hope all of them are successful, but mostly I hope whomever we draft is highly successful. Last years draft was easier to judge than this years, mostly because this draft is deep, and once you get into the below 6 range, the talent levels are fairly equal, just different, and you have to balance that against your needs. When you see a player like Cunningham, who has no apparent weaknesses, it's a simple decision.

I agree with you on Wagner. I doubt he'll ever be a star, but he could still be an important part of a winning team. He's one of the smartest players in the draft, and as I stated in my write up, he's not great at anything, but he's pretty good at everything, especially defense. What I like the most about him is that he seldom makes a mistake. He always seems to make the right decision, and I would be perfectly happy if the Kings drafted him. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Moody, who I think in some ways is similar to Wagner in that he may never be a star, but he'll be one of those glue guys that becomes a difference maker in a close game when you need a stop.

Both those players can play multiple positions as well, which makes them more valuable. With not knowing whether Harkless will be back or not, I can see the Kings leaning toward one of those players. I see some mocks have us taking Keon Johnson. I doubt he falls all the way to nine, but even if he did, the dude has a long way to go to become a good 3pt shooter. He's certainly one of the best athlete's, if not the best athlete in the draft, and I have no doubt that he'll still be able to score the ball. But his bread and butter right now is attacking the basket, and his handles needs some work. He tends to get a little loose with the ball. However, he has tremendous upside, so there's that.

Last year I was all over Haliburton. I had watched him his freshman year, and when he came out of the gate his sophomore year, I knew the kid was a sure thing, which is why I said that if I had the first pick in the draft I'd take Haliburton. Obviously quite a few teams didn't agree with me. My point is though, is that its rare to feel that sure of a player. I think there are a few that I feel that way about this year. Unfortunately I don't think they'll fall to us this year.

My radar is very poor in this draft. So I'm more to trading this pick for a veteran starter or a borderline 6th man.
Or pick an athletic player that knows how to take care of his body. An athletic big or wing man is a key rotation player in this fast paced era of NBA.