Players that I would target with the 9th pick:

My radar is very poor in this draft. So I'm more to trading this pick for a veteran starter or a borderline 6th man.
Or pick an athletic player that knows how to take care of his body. An athletic big or wing man is a key rotation player in this fast paced era of NBA.
I think they would be better keeping the pick. There is legit talent at 9 this year. Some with higher bust potential but plenty of potential difference makers on the wing some that could help now and some more down the line.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well to be honest with you, I've never wished ill will on any player. I hope all of them are successful, but mostly I hope whomever we draft is highly successful. Last years draft was easier to judge than this years, mostly because this draft is deep, and once you get into the below 6 range, the talent levels are fairly equal, just different, and you have to balance that against your needs. When you see a player like Cunningham, who has no apparent weaknesses, it's a simple decision.

I agree with you on Wagner. I doubt he'll ever be a star, but he could still be an important part of a winning team. He's one of the smartest players in the draft, and as I stated in my write up, he's not great at anything, but he's pretty good at everything, especially defense. What I like the most about him is that he seldom makes a mistake. He always seems to make the right decision, and I would be perfectly happy if the Kings drafted him. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Moody, who I think in some ways is similar to Wagner in that he may never be a star, but he'll be one of those glue guys that becomes a difference maker in a close game when you need a stop.

Both those players can play multiple positions as well, which makes them more valuable. With not knowing whether Harkless will be back or not, I can see the Kings leaning toward one of those players. I see some mocks have us taking Keon Johnson. I doubt he falls all the way to nine, but even if he did, the dude has a long way to go to become a good 3pt shooter. He's certainly one of the best athlete's, if not the best athlete in the draft, and I have no doubt that he'll still be able to score the ball. But his bread and butter right now is attacking the basket, and his handles needs some work. He tends to get a little loose with the ball. However, he has tremendous upside, so there's that.

Last year I was all over Haliburton. I had watched him his freshman year, and when he came out of the gate his sophomore year, I knew the kid was a sure thing, which is why I said that if I had the first pick in the draft I'd take Haliburton. Obviously quite a few teams didn't agree with me. My point is though, is that its rare to feel that sure of a player. I think there are a few that I feel that way about this year. Unfortunately I don't think they'll fall to us this year.
Yeah, I would agree that the issue with the draft this year (for us at #9 anyway) is that the guys who feel like sure things are most everyone's consensus top 4. I think there will be players on the board for us who have a ton of potential but they all come with at least one significant weakness which makes it easy to second guess yourself about whether they'll get there or not. I can understand opting for guys who feel safer but with less top end potential in that context. I really like Jalen Johnson, Keon Johnson, and Usman Garuba for us at #9 but I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about each of them too. Moody, Mitchell, and Wagner are all a little less exciting to me but it feels like at worst you're getting a solid rotation player if you take one of them.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My top three right now, and in the order I like them are Jalen Johnson, Moses Moody, and Franz Wagner. Just my personal favorites, but there are others I would be OK with, like Usman Garuba and Kai Jones. One player I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole after watching him in a game yesterday at the combine, is Greg Brown. He misses a shot, and then slowly walks down the floor while his teammates are already there trying to defend the basket. He's not impressing scouts doing that crap. Quite the opposite, the dude is likely to slide down the draft boards.

My top three right now, and in the order I like them are Jalen Johnson, Moses Moody, and Franz Wagner. Just my personal favorites, but there are others I would be OK with, like Usman Garuba and Kai Jones. One player I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole after watching him in a game yesterday at the combine, is Greg Brown. He misses a shot, and then slowly walks down the floor while his teammates are already there trying to defend the basket. He's not impressing scouts doing that crap. Quite the opposite, the dude is likely to slide down the draft boards.
yes, not sure about picking either at 9 but would sure like to see Garuba or Kai Jones a King.
It would be nice if Monte could swing us another 1st.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
well when your born into it what to do. I will always be a St Louis Cardinal and Cornhusker fan too.
I grew up with Harry Carey when he announced for the Cardinals. My idol was Stan Musial. I went to at least 25 games a year at the Old Sportsmen Park. They will always be my baseball team. Of course the old St. Louis Hawks were my basketball team, until that jerk of an owner moved them to Atlanta.

I grew up with Harry Carey when he announced for the Cardinals. My idol was Stan Musial. I went to at least 25 games a year at the Old Sportsmen Park. They will always be my baseball team. Of course the old St. Louis Hawks were my basketball team, until that jerk of an owner moved them to Atlanta.
For me Lou Brock and Bob Gibson. Saw Gibson pitch a no hitter in Candlestick where the only game run was his own homerun. I cant forget the disappointment of the 1968 world series, up 3 games to 1 and Mickey Lolich and the Tigers came back to win it in 7.
As born in Omaha became a Kings fan before Sacramento. Nate was amazing.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
For me Lou Brock and Bob Gibson. Saw Gibson pitch a no hitter in Candlestick where the only game run was his own homerun. I cant forget the disappointment of the 1968 world series, up 3 games to 1 and Mickey Lolich and the Tigers came back to win it in 7.
As born in Omaha became a Kings fan before Sacramento. Nate was amazing.
Obviously, I certainly remember Bob Gibson and Lou Brock. I knew Curt Flood personally, a great guy as well as a great player. I played against Von McDaniel the brother of Lindy McDaniel. Both pitched for the Cards. I actually batted against Sad Sam Jones toward the end of his career. Dude struck me out. What a curve ball he had. Ahhh, memories!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Tre Mann: SG/PG, 6'4.25", 177 Lb's, 6'4" wingspan, Sophomore, Florida.
31.3 mpg - 16.0 ppg - 45.3% fgp - 39.8% 3pp - 84.8% ftp - 5.7 rpg - 3.5 apg - 1.6 steals.

In fact, Mann will likely go somewhere in the 20's, but he was another of my favorite players to watch, so I wanted to give him some shine, and to be honest, I think he's going to be a very good NBA player. There might not be a better player in college this year at creating his own shot. He actually shot over 40% from the three off the dribble, while he shot around 37% in catch and shoots. He has one of the most wicked jab, step backs in college. I saw him break some ankles more than once. He can get his own shot anytime he wants. His unassisted percentage is one of the best in college.

He's also one of the better pick and roll players in college this year. You dare not go under a pick on him. His improvement from his Freshman year was dramatic. Which shows he put in the hard work. One of his best weapons is his floater, which is becoming a deadly weapon in basketball. Seen Trey Young play lately. Mann's weakness is in attacking the basket. He shot one of the lowest percentages at the basket for a PG. I suspect it has to do with his slender build and his lack of strength. He tends to play under the basket instead of rising up to lay it in or dunk the ball. He's pretty good at that fall away layup high off the glass, but I would like to see him go right at his defender.

He played PG at Florida, which at his height is an advantage, but I see him more as a combo guard at the next level. Having said that, he's a very good passer, with good court vision. He surprised me with some of his no look passes. I still think his bread and butter on offense is his ability to create for himself first, and for his teammates second. he's too good a shooter and overall scorer. Despite his average wingspan, he's a good defender and an aggressive one, so I don't see him as a liability on defense. Quite the contrary, I see him as net plus, especially when he adds some muscle to his frame.

As I said, he won't be the 9th pick, but talent wise, he can throw his hat in the ring with those that will go in the lottery. He was one of the more fun players to watch this season, and he seems like a good kid. If I had to pick a comp for his offensive game, I think he reminds me a bit of Donavon Mitchell, without the attacking the basket part. He has a very similar step back move. If Mann ever becomes good at attacking the basket, watch out!

Obviously, I certainly remember Bob Gibson and Lou Brock. I knew Curt Flood personally, a great guy as well as a great player. I played against Von McDaniel the brother of Lindy McDaniel. Both pitched for the Cards. I actually batted against Sad Sam Jones toward the end of his career. Dude struck me out. What a curve ball he had. Ahhh, memories!
That’s some good history. I had to read up on Sad Sam Jones as he played a little before my memory kicked in. Also known as toothpick Sam Jones.

You know a bunch of young people on here just went, "What? The Hawks used to be in St. Louis?"

You know a bunch of young people on here just went, "What? The Hawks used to be in St. Louis?"
the franchise also played in Iowa/Illinois as the Tri-City Black Hawks with Red Auerbach as coach. They changed their name to the Hawks after another NBA franchise in my town (Waterloo,IA) folded. I know the league was nothing like it is now but it’s crazy to think a town of 68 thousand had an NBA team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Arizona Cardinal football team used to be the St. Louis Cardinals football team. Yep, once a very long time ago in a distant land, St. Louis had two professional franchises named the Cardinals. How did that happen? Well, the Cardinals football team was originally the Chicago Cardinals football team, and then they got moved to St. Louis, and then eventually to Arizona. And just to cover all the bases, the Baltimore Orioles were originally the St. Louis Browns, and if memory serves, the Browns made it to the world series one time and played, yep, you guessed it, the St. Louis Cardinals and got swept..

The last year of Sad Sam's career was 1935, 86 years ago. You batted against him 86+ years ago?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yeah, I would agree that the issue with the draft this year (for us at #9 anyway) is that the guys who feel like sure things are most everyone's consensus top 4. I think there will be players on the board for us who have a ton of potential but they all come with at least one significant weakness which makes it easy to second guess yourself about whether they'll get there or not. I can understand opting for guys who feel safer but with less top end potential in that context. I really like Jalen Johnson, Keon Johnson, and Usman Garuba for us at #9 but I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about each of them too. Moody, Mitchell, and Wagner are all a little less exciting to me but it feels like at worst you're getting a solid rotation player if you take one of them.
I think it’s far fetched to say the top 5 are all sure things. Every year guys at the top of the draft end up underwhelming.

The ceiling and the floor is usually higher at the beginning of the draft, but very few guys are a sure thing!

Especially when that top talent is drafted to the kings

hrdboild

Staff member
I think it’s far fetched to say the top 5 are all sure things. Every year guys at the top of the draft end up underwhelming.

The ceiling and the floor is usually higher at the beginning of the draft, but very few guys are a sure thing!

Especially when that top talent is drafted to the kings
Well, I did say top 4. :) I've never seen Kuminga as can't miss, in fact I think he's the most likely bust of anyone in the top 10 this year. I also don't think being in the consensus top 4 is what makes anyone can't miss. Most years there's players who are ranked that high who I have much lower for one reason or another. I just think in this particular draft, if you compare the mocks almost everyone thinks it will be Cade, Mobley, Green, and Suggs as the top 4 in some order and I think all 4 of those guys have shown me enough upside that I don't think any of them will fail to be solid NBA starters at the minimum.

Cade and Green look like superstars who would merit first overall consideration in most draft years. I wish Mobley played more aggressively but he's got once in a decade big man tools as a defender. Maybe in today's NBA that doesn't make him a franchise player but he's a guy you're going to like having on the floor anchoring your defense even if his offensive skills don't continue to develop (I think they will). Suggs is a PG and I've been wrong about PG prospects more than any other position so I'm less confident in my evaluation of him. With him I see a guy who understands the team concept and confidently led his team to a 31-1 record as a freshman and showed up for big games. I'll compromise though and say the top 3 are can't miss and after that a few teams are likely to be disappointed with their lottery selections, we'll just have to wait to find out which ones. Hopefully not ours!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The last year of Sad Sam's career was 1935, 86 years ago. You batted against him 86+ years ago?
Sorry, my bad. The Sam Jones I faced was a black pitcher, and now that I went to look it up and not rely on my memory, Sad Sam Jones was a white pitcher, so obviously the pitcher I faced was Sam Toothpick Jones, who was black. Regardless, he had a hell of a curve ball, and he was toward the end of his career. It was a very long time ago, so excuse the memory lapse.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Baja's not THAT old!

I believe he's talking about the pitcher known on Wikipedia as Sam "Toothpick" Jones, who pitched some AAA at the end of his career between 1963 and 1967.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonessa02.shtml

As you can see here, he was *also* known as "Sad" Sam Jones:

https://klmitchell.com/2016/12/14/remembering-sad-sam-jones/
Thanks Capt.! I'd know that face anywhere. That's the pitcher I faced. I was young at the time and trying to prove I could face major league pitching. Jones got the best of me on that day. He was a very crafty pitcher with some control problems, but man, his curve ball looked like it was going to hit you in the back when he let go of it. My mind said hang in there, and my butt said I'm out of here. what a memory! Von McDaniel struck me out as well in my one meeting with him. Are you starting to see a pattern here...:eek:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry if this has been posted.

Keon Johnson posted a 48" vertical at the combine yesterday.

Oh my.
It's definitely impressive. He's an otherworldly athlete and I definitely like that in his interview he talked about what he needed to develop skillwise for his athleticism to really be harnessed. He's saying the right things at least. But he also only measured out at 6'3.5" with a decent but not great wingspan of 6'7' or so. Moses Moody was only an inch taller (6'4.5") but with a wingspan just over 7 feet.

There's things I like about both guys but I don't think either is a great fit as a starter next to Fox and Haliburton just due to their size. Off the bench? Sure. But it's the same issue with Davion Mitchell. I love his game but the Kings only have two building blocks right now and a lottery pick on a backup just seems like a missed opportunity.

The two most intriguing guys for me among players likely to be there at 9 are Jalen Johnson and Alperen Sengun.

Johnson will have to answer questions about leaving Duke but based on the combine interview he's spent time getting coached up on how to answer those, so it will be up to GMs to decide what they think of his answers.

For me the concerns are more basketball related. Johnson is labeled as a point forward but really that's just in transition. I worry about his half court offense. He tended to drift when defenses were set. He can post up smaller guys but he needs to also be able to improve his handle to blow by bigs but whether he improves his outside shot will likely be the biggest determination of what kind of NBA career he has.

But he's a big wing, with good athleticism who I think fits best as a playmaking four and who is a plus rebounder and defender. If he shoots well in workouts he may not be there at 9.

Sengun just has amazing footwork, strength and feel for the game as an 18 year old big. The biggest issue for him is whether he really is only 6'9" with a just over 7' wingspan. I see the Sabonis comp but he may also just be a better passing Enes Kanter if he doesn't have the size to defend the paint. Still, his tape can be pretty amazing at times. Watching him take a pass on the short roll and hit a shooter on the weakside like a 10 year vet is awesome. And his outside shot shows promise based on his form and FT%.

Depending on how Sengun measures out, I would love to see the Kings find a way to get both of these guys.

Fox
Haliburton
A 3&D SF or Hield or Barnes if they aren't dealt?
Johnson
Sengun

Is potentially a great looking core.

Last edited:
I have almost no doubt that Sengun is at the very least an 18 and 9 guy. As you mentioned, he has elite footwork and I think his shot looks fantastic. I won’t be surprised if he ends up one of the top 3 players from this draft but those defensive question marks are real and worrisome.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's definitely impressive. He's an otherworldly athlete and I definitely like that in his interview he talked about what he needed to develop skillwise for his athleticism to really be harnessed. He's saying the right things at least. But he also only measured out at 6'3.5" with a decent but not great wingspan of 6'7' or so. Moses Moody was only an inch taller (6'4.5") but with a wingspan just over 7 feet.

There's things I like about both guys but I don't think either is a great fit as a starter next to Fox and Haliburton just due to their size. Off the bench? Sure. But it's the same issue with Davion Mitchell. I love his game but the Kings only have two building blocks right now and a lottery pick on a backup just seems like a missed opportunity.

The two most intriguing guys for me among players likely to be there at 9 are Jalen Johnson and Alperen Sengun.

Johnson will have to answer questions about leaving Duke but based on the combine interview he's spent time getting coached up on how to answer those, so it will be up to GMs to decide what they think of his answers.

For me the concerns are more basketball related. Johnson is labeled as a point forward but really that's just in transition. I worry about his half court offense. He tended to drift when defenses were set. He can post up smaller guys but he needs to also be able to improve his handle to blow by bigs but whether he improves his outside shot will likely be the biggest determination of what kind of NBA career he has.

But he's a big wing, with good athleticism who I think fits best as a playmaking four and who is a plus rebounder and defender. If he shoots well in workouts he may not be there at 9.

Sengun just has amazing footwork, strength and feel for the game as an 18 year old big. The biggest issue for him is whether he really is only 6'9" with a just over 7' wingspan. I see the Sabonis comp but he may also just be a better passing Enes Kanter if he doesn't have the size to defend the paint. Still, his tape can be pretty amazing at times. Watching him take a pass on the short roll and hit a shooter on the weakside like a 10 year vet is awesome. And his outside shot shows promise based on his form and FT%.

Depending on how Sengun measures out, I would love to see the Kings find a way to get both of these guys.

Fox
Haliburton
A 3&D SF or Hield or Barnes if they aren't dealt?
Johnson
Sengun

Is potentially a great looking core.
When figuring out whether a player can play a position or not, the figure I look at is standing reach. As Jerry Reynolds once said, you don't rebound with the top of your head. I think your selling Moody a bit short in that area. He has a standing reach of 8'9". By comparison, Keon Johnson has a standing reach of 8'1". Jalen Johnson's is 8'10". Johnny Juzang's is 8'4.5". Joe WiesKamp's is 8'7", and Zaire Williams is 8'10.5". So as you can see Moody's standing reach is right there with most of the SF's. His ability to play three positions is part of what intrigues me.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
When figuring out whether a player can play a position or not, the figure I look at is standing reach. As Jerry Reynolds once said, you don't rebound with the top of your head. I think your selling Moody a bit short in that area. He has a standing reach of 8'9". By comparison, Keon Johnson has a standing reach of 8'1". Jalen Johnson's is 8'10". Johnny Juzang's is 8'4.5". Joe WiesKamp's is 8'7", and Zaire Williams is 8'10.5". So as you can see Moody's standing reach is right there with most of the SF's. His ability to play three positions is part of what intrigues me.
That's true. I guess I'm still thinking of Bogi (who was also 6'6" in shoes with a 7' wingspan and around 200 lbs) struggling to defend SFs and making it difficult to play he and Buddy together.

But Moody has better lateral quickness and will very likely be significantly stronger when he fills out.

I still prefer the gamble on Jalen Johnson but I'm starting to think after workouts he'll go higher than 9. Moody (like Wagner) isn't as exciting a prospect but both seem like high floor players with obvious NBA skillsets and fits.

Cade Cunningham
Davion Mitchell
Evan Mobley
Jalen Green
Jalen Johnson
Jalen Suggs
Jonathan Kuminga
Scottie Barnes

These guys might well go 1-8 (not in listed order, of course). If any were to drop, I'd be delighted to see the Kings grab 'im - except Mitchell. I'm happy w/our likely backcourt rotation and think we clearly need front court help, but if Green or Suggs somehow were to drop... kittty.png

After that, right now, I'm looking at MMoody, FWagner, KJones, in that order.

hrdboild

Staff member
We can't take a post scoring big in the lotto in 2021, we just can't. Sengun would be a horrible move in my opinion. Even if he does average 18 and 9, unless he's an all-NBA defender that's practically a replacement level player at the current going rates. Three point shooters are commanding $100 million dollar contracts right now and starting bigs are available for veterans minimum contracts.

We can't take a post scoring big in the lotto in 2021, we just can't. Sengun would be a horrible move in my opinion. Even if he does average 18 and 9, unless he's an all-NBA defender that's practically a replacement level player at the current going rates. Three point shooters are commanding $100 million dollar contracts right now and starting bigs are available for veterans minimum contracts.
Idk I’m starting to come around on Sengun a bit, he kinda reminds me of Pau in a lot of ways (great footwork, moves around the basket, not exactly known for his defense.) He’s also still only 19 and considering he shot tremendously from the foul line, a lot of people think it will translate to an outside shot. If you can get a young big like that then you have to start to think…