Paris Olympics 2024

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Lee Keifer (USA) defeats Lauren Scruggs (USA) 15-6 in the Women's Foil Individual Gold Medal match. Keifer becomes only the third woman to repeat as champion in Olympic Foil.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Wild that now that some people are out of her way Sophia is legit. I like this team the most of any team since about 2014.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Do I detect a whiff of Haterade?
In this case most of it was performance based. Alex Morgan had her time and should not have been in front of Sophia (or made her play out of her natural position, which got most people saying she was overrated).

The team itself is much more enjoyable to watch on the pitch now that they have gone young.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
In this case most of it was performance based. Alex Morgan had her time and should not have been in front of Sophia (or made her play out of her natural position, which got most people saying she was overrated).
I guess... When I see someone say that they have "performance based" reasons for wanting an athlete off a team, and they're speaking in reference to a veteran who has won championships, my reaction is, "This is a person who takes sports too seriously." I look at someone like Carli Lloyd or Megan Rapinoe or Alex Morgan, and I think, "They have earned the right to leave on their own terms, and to not be forced out, and if that means that we go through a cycle where we don't win, then that's just what it is." I do not have the kind of "name on the front" morality that would compel me to walk up to a player that has helped my national team win two World Cups and an Olympic Gold Medal and say, "It's time for you to step aside." I think the greats should get to leave when they're ready to leave.

The team itself is much more enjoyable to watch on the pitch now that they have gone young.
In all the time I've known you, I have always thought of you as a person I f***s with, so I am curious to understand what part makes it "more enjoyable"?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So not just saying this as a Team Japan supporter but the last ten minutes of the women’s soccer game against Brazil was insane and sports at its best.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
In all the time I've known you, I have always thought of you as a person I f***s with, so I am curious to understand what part makes it "more enjoyable"?
Their attack is much more focused. they have a killer instinct and press forward in a way the 2023 team/Vlatko didn't do. I imagine a lot was the coaching, and Alex just didn't work with Rodman and Smith. But again the worst part of that was the tactics of the old coach who had Alex playing a hold up forward position and dishing out to the wings when Smith is much better direct to the goal. And of course Mallory Swanson was injured and she is every bit the killer finisher that Smith is. I think the goal where she put away Smith's rebound today is just something we would not have seen with Vlatko's team.

And the other side to that was it felt like his teams felt they could just turn it on at any time and win and it bit them big time at the Olympics and World Cup. This team was just hungry. They aren't playing like winning the tourney is a forgone conclusion, they are playing like a team with everything to prove.

Tactically Emma Hayes may be the best coach they've ever had and today was only her 6th game with the team. It will be interesting to see where they are in 3 years for the next world cup. They're still a work in progress right now, so a little bit of luck in the knockout seeding won't hurt them.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Christa Deguchi (CAN) defeats Mi-mi Huh (KOR) to win the Women's 57kg Gold Medal match. It is Canada's first Gold Medal in judo in Olympic history, men's or women's.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Their attack is much more focused. they have a killer instinct and press forward in a way the 2023 team/Vlatko didn't do. I imagine a lot was the coaching, and Alex just didn't work with Rodman and Smith. But again the worst part of that was the tactics of the old coach who had Alex playing a hold up forward position and dishing out to the wings when Smith is much better direct to the goal. And of course Mallory Swanson was injured and she is every bit the killer finisher that Smith is. I think the goal where she put away Smith's rebound today is just something we would not have seen with Vlatko's team.

And the other side to that was it felt like his teams felt they could just turn it on at any time and win and it bit them big time at the Olympics and World Cup. This team was just hungry. They aren't playing like winning the tourney is a forgone conclusion, they are playing like a team with everything to prove.

Tactically Emma Hayes may be the best coach they've ever had and today was only her 6th game with the team. It will be interesting to see where they are in 3 years for the next world cup. They're still a work in progress right now, so a little bit of luck in the knockout seeding won't hurt them.
So it's all about style of play and tactics for you? I can respect that.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
China defeats United States 25-20, 25-19, 17-25, 20-25, 15-13 in Women's pool play. China and USA are the last two Olympic Gold Medalists.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So NBC really doesn’t have any basketball announcers aside from Ian Eagle’s 26-year-old son?
How are they gonna handle having weekly NBA games from 2025 on?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
So it's all about style of play and tactics for you? I can respect that.
Yeah they are playing a much more modern style, the build up on Smith's first goal yesterday was so good, the pass to Rodman and then Mal running past the cross (honestly looks like she even played it off her back heel but afaik they gave the assist to Rodman). They can still win with brute force, I think Smith's shot that set up Mal's rebound to go up 2-1 was an example of that, but under Vlatko the team wasn't really smashing those in. Whether it was a compatibility issue between Rodman, Smith and Morgan or a tactical one is fair game. One interesting thing about that goal was afterwards I think Hayes could be seen barking at Rose Lavelle being out of position on the play, so it's clear she is demanding more from the players than Vlatko, who seemed to be something of a players' coach.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Freestyle Silver Medalist Summer McIntosh (CAN) wins the Women's 400m Individual Medley. Katie Grimes and Emma Weyant (USA) take Silver and Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Mollie O'Callaghan (AUS) wins the Women's 200m Freestyle, with a new Olympic Record (1:53.27)! World Record holder and 400m Freestyle Gold Medalist Ariarne Titmus (AUS) settles for Silver, Siobahn Bernadette Haughey (HKG) takes Bronze. Claire Weinstein, the sole American swimmer in the draw, finished DFL.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Second upset of the night: Siobahn Bernadette Haughey, born in Hong Kong. According to Doctor Internet, Haughey was born about four months after the territory was handed back over to the Chinese, to an Irish father and a Hongkonger (Hongkonger? That can't be the correct term, can it?) mother.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: Third Round of Women's Surfing has been postponed due to dangerous weather conditions in Tahiti, effectively ending live coverage of Olympic events for the evening.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
United States currently leads the overall medal count at twenty, and sits in sixth place for Gold Medals at three, with us yet to compete for Gold Medals in most of the events that we're actually good at.