Paris Olympics 2024

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
United States win the men's 4x100m freestyle relay, securing the first Gold Medal for the US at the Paris Olympics. Australia settles for Silver, Italy wins Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Sanguk Oh (KOR) defeats Fares Ferjani (TUN) 15-11 in the Men's Sabre Individual Gold Medal match. Ferjani made it interesting with a late rally, after trailing 14-6, but Oh pulls it out at the end.

I thought Canada would win much easier than that, Murray looks to be "off" somehow and SGA wasn't so good either. Barrett led the way for the Canadians in this stressful win. Giannis was unstoppable for 30 minutes but he looked tired and limping a bit at the end, he hasn't been playing for so long for a few months so his knees are not in a perfect condition.
Australia vs Spain was also quite exciting earlier today, Giddey had a nice match there vs Aldama that was the best for Spain.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Still jonesing for more Olympics, so I'm tuned into the surfing. It still blows my mind that there's an event at the Paris Olympics being contested in Tahiti... But this begs the follow-up question, what is the contingency plan for if the tide wasn't cooperating?

I guess nobody wrote it but in Water Polo Women, USA won quite easily against Greece that used to be a powerhouse some years ago. Both of the countries "first ladies" were watching the match together from the stand. Fun fact the captain of the Greek team is Sasha Vezenkov's girlfriend and few months ago after a success of the team the fact that the instead of calling her by her name (Nicole Eleftheriadou btw) but only mentioning as "Sasha's girlfiend" caused a huge issue in social media with a whole campaing starting that "her name is Nicol Eleftheriadou".
Anyway Nicole is the one of the main reasons that Sasha wanted to come back to Greece, she also plays for Olympiakos the waterpolo women team of course in that case.
I wish Sasha looked so happy in the beam photos as well :) but ok happy for him!

Still jonesing for more Olympics, so I'm tuned into the surfing. It still blows my mind that there's an event at the Paris Olympics being contested in Tahiti... But this begs the follow-up question, what is the contingency plan for if the tide wasn't cooperating?
Teahupo’o is the contingency plan.

The best surf breaks in mainland France are often a little more glassy this time of year. Teahupo’o however traditionally pops off during their winter (our summer). Given its their better surf season, coupled with the absolute legend status of Teahupo’o, and they’re bound to have at least 4 days in the next 2 weeks with decent enough surf. Considering how things went on Day 1, there shouldn’t be any concern.

IMG_4929.jpeg

Otherwise, it’s a sport entirely reliant on Mother Nature and she’s not always in a giving mood. If it’s nothing but a choppy mess or flat glass, maybe they postpone, or try to relocate to a different break, but given the very “in the moment” reality of the Olympics, I’d think they’d move forward and work with what they got as long as the waves were “good enough.”
The Eddie is the only surfing competition I know of that won’t go forward unless conditions are perfect. And that’s why that “annual” event has only happened 10 times since 1984.

I guess nobody wrote it but in Water Polo Women, USA won quite easily against Greece that used to be a powerhouse some years ago. Both of the countries "first ladies" were watching the match together from the stand. Fun fact the captain of the Greek team is Sasha Vezenkov's girlfriend and few months ago after a success of the team the fact that the instead of calling her by her name (Nicole Eleftheriadou btw) but only mentioning as "Sasha's girlfiend" caused a huge issue in social media with a whole campaing starting that "her name is Nicol Eleftheriadou".
Anyway Nicole is the one of the main reasons that Sasha wanted to come back to Greece, she also plays for Olympiakos the waterpolo women team of course in that case.
I wish Sasha looked so happy in the beam photos as well :) but ok happy for him!
well where was this in the reporting in regards to him moving back. I think doth solved the mystery.

And away we go.

Team USA starting on Beam.
Chiles solid. Lee superb. Biles perfect.

Strong start for Team USA. Rivera jittery, will be dropping her score. Hopefully she got the nerves out. She won’t be up again until bars in the final rotation.

Expect to see Lee and Biles in the Beam finals.

Last edited:
Second rotation down. Team USA done with floor.

Lee went out of bounds, but did enough to stay in contention for the All-Around.

Chiles is slaying right now. She came to play today. Put up one of the top scores of the event today. In the running for the finals.

Carey got lost in the air on her last tumbling pass. Did a single instead of a double and rolled backward out of bounds. Huge deductions. Will not be defending her Olympic title on floor.

Biles appeared to tweak her ankle, got it wrapped, went out and put up the highest score on floor of the day. It’s just what she does.

Biles is still favoring that ankle. She still seems to be a go and she’s smiling and laughing, but she was limping on her vault practice run.

This concerns me.

US on Vault.

Biles lands both of her vaults, including the Biles II, currently the most difficult vault a woman can preform, for the highest score of the night … and then she hopped off the mat on one foot.

God no. Fortunately bars are next and it’s the least lower body pressure of any event. Except for that big landing on the dismount. Ugh. Please just be soreness.

Biles easily makes it to the apparatus finals, joined by Carey, who shook off her mistake on Floor to nail two superb vaults back to back.

Chiles had another great event, and did enough to make the finals as well, but will get 2-pered out by Biles and Carey.

Lee did a great vault for her, and even though it will get dropped, was enough to keep her in the all around.

Bars is going to determine who joins Biles in the All-Around: Chiles or defending AA champion Lee.

Chiles has absolutely killed it today and currently has a lead on Lee, but Bars is Lee’s signature event. Lee really has the inside track.

Last edited:
And just like that, Team USA is done with Day 1.

Lee nailed her signature event of Bars to beat out Chiles for the All-Around spot and the chance to defend her Olympic title. Both Lee and Chiles went all-out today and brought out the absolute best in each other. Applause all around ladies.

Biles meanwhile got through her last event without appearing to suffer a major injury. She easily made the All Around finals with the highest All Around score in international competition this Olympic cycle. She also qualified for 4 event finals. She’s in position to walk away from these Olympics with potentially 5 gold medals

Rivera had a fine score on Bars, but was the lowest of her teammates and will get dropped. It’s possible her competition is done given Chiles, Lee, and Biles will likely be the line-up for Bars and Beam in the finals. In fact I’m hoping that’s the case, because if we see her again it probably means someone got injured. Still she has a bright future ahead. Looking forward to seeing her in LA.

Results:

Team USA Qualified for Team Finals (First Overall)
All-Around Finals: Biles, Lee
Vault Finals: Biles, Carey
Floor Finals: Biles, Chiles
Bar Finals: Lee
Beam Finals: Biles, Lee

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
No wonder he wanted to go back

dude12

Hall of Famer
Caught the end of China and Spain women’s hoops in OT. Good game. Li Yuera for China, a center, is a stud. I’d go so far as saying she is as good as any women’s big I’ve seen.

Wow, France out of the Team Finals.

That’s huge. Reigning world bronze medalists. Home team was in the running to medal here at the Olympics too.

Brazil, China, and Italy best competition for Team USA now.

Biles evidently tweaked her left calf, but said it felt better by the end of the day.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Nicolo Martinenghi (ITA) wins the Men's 100m Breaststroke. World and Olympic Record holder Adam Peatty (GBR) settles for Silver, Nic Fink (USA) takes Bronze.