Official Draft thread (merged)

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Interesting read from Hoopshype.com of one of the games during camp.

Ronny Turiaf:
11 points, 4/9 shooting, 6 rebounds (5 offensive), 2 assists, 1 block – Turiaf is living up to his advanced billing and is looking like the clear-cut number one big man in the camp. He came out with typical Turiaf toughness, intensity and flare. He is the kind of player that draws attention to himself for all the right reasons. Turiaf was a terror on the offensive glass, and got position at will. There was no defender that could keep him from getting position on the block. One highlight was an emphatic rejection of a Deji Akindele layup attempt. He also threw down a monstrous dunk that left the shot clock shaking. Turiaf is looking up to the task of proving the scouts that he is a first-round selection. Where numerous borderline first-rounders turn down invitations, Turiaf should be commended for facing down this challenge with his usual ferocity – and coming away successful.

[/font]

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything I heard was he was around the 6' 11", 7' foot mark.
I'd always heard he was 6'10", which with shoes on, he clearly should be. If he really is 6'9" in his bare feet, I don't understand why he is listed at only a half in taller in shoes. The rule of thumb has always been to add at least an inch to the w/o shoes height. Every other player gains at least that much. I wonder what footwear Charlie brought with him?

Before a guy is measured I always subtract an inch or two from their listed height, since college measurements are always generous. Other than Garnett, has a player ever been listed at a height shorter than their actual height?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
CJ Miles? Unless Petrie is thinking about acquiring extra picks (hopefully a second rounder if he is seriously considering Miles) or he thinks the kid can eventually be a star, I think it would be a waste of a pick.

For a struggling team at 23 you take the surest thing you can which is why Turiaf wouldn't bother me at all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
CJ Miles? And my player in Bballkingsrock's CAP Dynasty game is named Miles Clipper.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Coincidence? Maybe not!

;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That CJ Miles thing is really bizarre simply because some draft sites have him listed as a Top 20 or 25 pick, and some don't think he's even among the Top 100 prospects and may NEVER be NBA quality at all. That's more than a little alarming -- the Kings really need this pick to go well for them for the first time in a long time. Drafting an utter bust would really hurt with so many contributing level players likely to be out there.

Dan Wetzel has us taking CJ Miles at #23.

Best available player might be this high-scoring high schooler. He probably won't make an impact immediately, but Miles has all the tools to be a NBA player.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=dw-mockdraft061305&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Also just a side note. The Bobcats have 2 picks in the top 15 (#13, #5) and they could really improve their already young team. Think they have a shot at the playoffs next year or at least a 30-35 win season? Wetzel has them taking Green and Felton.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wetzel has them taking Green and Felton.
I don't see Green making it past Portland and I certainly don't see Felton making it past the Lakers. Unless Kupcake is really that in love with Bynum, as I saw on another draft site.

I think they are praying for Paul to drop to them at 5, otherwise I could see them taking Felton at the fifth spot and then grabbing a wing, maybe Joey Graham. Granger or Wright if they were available at 13, but I doubt it.

I also woudn't discount them trading up to the 2nd spot, especially if Milwaukee takes Bogut. Billy Hunter has said how much he loves Marvin Williams, but they have plenty of talent at the 2, 3, and 4 (Childress, Smith, Harrington with Diaw and Smith off the bench) and need help at PG and C. If they don't really love Paul (or Deron Williams) they could trade down and pick up two players.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This is pretty cool. The Toronto Raptors' website has video highlights for most of the first-round prospects.

Just go here and click where it says 'Watch Video Highlights'.

how bout these guys?

[font=&quot] [/font][font=&quot] [/font]I was wondering. What you guys think of these guys for our pick at 23?

Erazem Lorbek

PF/C 6’11 242 lbs

Climamio Bologna

Tiago Splitter
PF 7’0 240
TAU Vitoria

Randolph Morris
PF/C 6’11 266 lbs

Freshman
Kentucky

Wayne Simien

PF 6’9 255 lbs

Senior
Kansas[font=&quot][/font]

I know what you guys think of Simien but what about the rest.
[font=&quot]
[/font]

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lorbek doesn't interest me. I've heard him compared to Austin Croshere (which isn't what the Kings need), but from what I've read he also seems like Brad Miller with more range and less strength/toughness. Either way, he doesn't bring any of the things the Kings need.

I'd love Splitter on the Kings, but I think he is going to withdraw from the draft. Even if he doesn't, I think it is a stretch for him to last until the 23rd pick.

Randolph Morris has some potential, but I don't think his ceiling is as high as some suggest. The two times I watched him this year I didn't come away all that impressed. Keep in mind, this is a kid who averaged less than 10 points and 5 rebounds in college. Depending on who else is available, I wouldn't mind if Petrie gambled on Morris. Of course, I don't see how that's much different than gambling on HSer Bynum as only a year of college separates them. I wouldn't look for either one to contribute anytime soon.

i sure would like it if the kings would trade up, because this draft is too deep in the beginning to just stay back. THe guys like villanueva or francisco garcia are just what the kings need and they would contribute right away for us. I want something out of this draft! We haven't had a quality keeper drafted on this team since peja, and he didn't play with us till a year or two later. We need some youth on this team and we can find it in those guys. and does anyone know why gerald green would enter the draft? He isn't very good for one and can't compete with all the guys in the draft.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
and does anyone know why gerald green would enter the draft?
Because he'll be a top 5 (and maybe top 3) pick.

He'll certainly go much higher than Garcia, who will go in the late first or perhaps early second round.

I like Garcia's game, but I don't think he improves the Kings at all. Defensively I think he makes them worse because of his foot speed, but he does have good length. Unfortunately I think he lacks the ability to create his own shot on the next level and will rely on his catch and shoot ability to score. Sure, he would fit right in on the current Kings, but I'd rather have a guy who changes things up a bit. I wouldn't be upset (or all that surprised) if Petrie took Garcia, but I would be a little disappointed.

On the other hand, I'd be pissed if he drafted Villanueva. I don't ever want my team to draft any player whose heart is questioned. Undersized? Ok. Lacks an outside shot? Ok. Plays lazy? Nope. Especially for a big man.

Villanueva reminds me more of Derrick Coleman or Jerome Moiso than Webber or Odom.

i doubt he will be taken in the first 3, because for one, everyone seen how drafting all those highschool players faired for the clips and the trailblazers. They may have potential but there are way better players than them in the draft. And the team that picks gerald green in the first few picks must have a lot of time on their hands, like atlanta or charlotte.

and if you wouldn't want Vanilla Wafer on your team, thats your opinion, then who would you want them to pick?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Green could be taken in the top three if Portland can't trade down. Assuming Bogut and Marvin Williams go one and two, the next most talented prospects are point guards (Paul and Deron Williams although I like Felton more) or possibly PF Fran Vazquez who I don't really know much about. The Blazers are set at PF with Randolph and they seem committed to Telfair at the point.

That being the case, who else would they take? Wright? Graham? Both would be a bit of a reach. Green clearly has talent, and considering that Telfair will need time to develop, it's not like they won't have patience for Green to reach his potential.

The importance of college is really starting to become overblown. After all, it's not like we're comparing college seniors with high school seniors for the most part. Green is the same age as Marvin Williams who spent ONE year in college and came off the bench.

Besides, as I mentioned in another thread, Devin Harris was a three year college starter and Shaun Livingston went prep-to-pros and he looks to me like a better player right NOW, or at least he did when he wasn't hurt.

As far as the Kings go, I don't really know who they should take. Expecting an immediate starter at 23 is wishful thinking. So you either take a guy with flaws or with a low ceiling who can become a solid contributor from the bench or spot starter or you gamble on a kid with a lot of promise. If you are a really deep team you draft a Euro with promise and let them develop across the pond for a couple years ala the Spurs.

I think the Kings need to take the approach of looking for the solid but unspectacular. If Graham or Diogu are there you snatch them up. If not, maybe Simien or Turiaf. Maybe Jack if he's there, even though it's not a position of immediate need. Maybe even Morris, depending on how far along in his development he is.

I think Petrie's in a tough spot. He needs a contributor to come out of this draft, but the Kings are really about 5 or 6 spots away from where the guys they could really are projected to go.

hrdboild

Staff member
Yeah, which kindof makes you wonder if that Memphis pick is really up for sale, and if so, is that something Petrie might make a move on or does he have other plans? Or if maybe a draft day trade is in the works. Either one would make me very happy cause there's a lot of guys in this draft I like for the Kings and it looks like they might get picked in the 15-25 range.

hrdboild

Staff member
That is a good site. Oh and Draftcity has moved to http://www.draftexpress.com . It didn't exactly move, they actually fired their key scout and he took most of their staff with them. But anyway, that new site is basically what Draftcity used to be.