Official Draft thread (merged)

BibityBobtyBoom said:
did we ever get that draft pick from atlanta for dan dikau? and when did we trade the 2nd round pick to boston? im confused...
Yes we did yet the pick from ATL. It was actually Detroit's pick, which I believe last year it was settled. The Kings owed Detroit a pick for the Mateen Cleaves trade :rolleyes: , so they just decided to call it even.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
From ESPN:

Here is some of the talk around the league: Louisville junior Francisco Garcia could be a strong possibility at No. 15 to New Jersey; Illinois junior point guard Deron Williams won't go past New Orleans at No. 4. Arizona senior Salim Stoudamire has been working out well enough that he could go in the back side of the first round, as high as No. 23 to Sacramento.
Stoudamire? God no . . .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
funkykingston said:
From ESPN:

Stoudamire? God no . . .
Well given that now we have been projected as taking every single guy in the draft at this point, and probably a few guys who aren't in it for that matter, I'm not too worried...yet. But have to agree that us taking Stoudamire with our only pick in the draft would just be nuts.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again, from ESPN:

Among the top players, it sounds like the following early-entry guys are staying in the draft: Martynas Andriuskevicius, Jarrett Jack, Andrew Bynum, Yaroslav Korolev, Ersan Ilyasova, Roko Ukic, Johan Petro, Linas Kleiza, Louis Williams, C.J. Miles, Dwayne Jones, Von Wafer, Carl Krauser, Anthony Roberson, Drago Pasalic and Deji Akindele.

Meanwhile, it sounds like these early-entry guys are withdrawing: Tiago Splitter, Nemanja Aleksandrov, Marko Tomas, Peja Samardziski, Dee Brown, Kevin Pittsnogle, Brandon Bowman, Torin Francis, James White, Olu Famitimi, Juan Jose Barea, Ivan Chiriaev, Paulius Jankunas, Miguel Marriaga, Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Dusan Sakota.
Most of these aren't too surprising, but it is a bit of an eyebrow lifter that Andriuskevicius might stick it out after a number of reports claimed him as underwhelming and likely to withdraw. CJ Miles is a bit of a head scratcher as well, since I have heard virtually no news regarding the kid and that among mock drafts only NBAdraft.net has him being taken in the first round, with the majority of them not having him being drafted at all. Interesting that there is no mention of Monta Ellis' intentions. A skinny, 6'3" high school SG who tested out as one of the worst athletes? Not a good sign.

I'm not really surprised that Bynum is staying in the draft, since most mocks have him as a first rounder. What is surprising is the rumor that, if they remain at #10, the Lakers are giving him strong consideration. Considering Phil Jackson's three year window, I can't believe that he'd be on board with such a selection. Then again, Mitch Kupchak told Laker fans that the team was intrigued by a prepster. Conventional wisdom said it was Gerald Green, but other than his supposed talent (I haven't seen him play) and potential, he makes little sense either. If he drops to them, the Lakers should snatch up Felton and be happy with the upgrade from Atkins.

Among the players assumed to be withdrawing, the only one that surprises me at all (I don't have any idea who half of the other ones are) is Splitter, as he seemed to be a surefire top 15 pick.

This should prove to be an interesting draft.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
One last note. Rumor also has it that the Blazers are talking to several teams about moving down. If they really love Gerald Green, the Bobcats (not interested in dealing #5 & #13 for #3) or the Jazz make some sense. If THEY are the team that makes Bynum's handlers confident that the kid is a lottery pick, then maybe the deal for Caron Butler and the #3 pick makes some sense.

Personally, I don't think Butler adds anything of great import to the Blazers, but it's what I've read.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could see Petrie grabbing Charlie at 23. I have my doubts, but he has the skills. Ukic is a guy I like, but I don't see him as a good fit in Sacramento. If Bobby's back healthy, he leaves no minutes for a rookie PG. And Ukic is simply too weak/too spotty a shooter to play SG at this point.

Not a great sign for the team, but the truth is that even drafting at #23, the Kings really need to nail this pick.

Yes it is :D

I forgot my password on my other account, and my email address shut down :S
So I had to start a new account up, but it feels good to be back with the Kings Fans:D

interesting to note that chris tafts value has dropped dramatically according to www.nbadraft.net

seems like he has swapped with hakim warrick who has risen dramitically to #14 damn was really thinin the kings would draft him at the 23...

edited it ^!

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless I'm missing something, NBAdraft.net has Simien at 28, going to Miami. Were you thinking of Hakim Warrick? He's moved up a bit to where most mocks have him in the late lottery with NBAdraft having him at 14.

I like Simien, but I wonder if he'll be able to score in the post on the NBA level. He measured out at 6' 7.5" w/o shoes and 6'9" with, which isn't terribly undersized, except that he doesn't have much of a face up game.

What scares me more about Simien is his injury history. Considering how snakebit the Kings have been with injuries, I just hope they don't draft a kid that will be a fixture on the IR.

The way I figure it, there's a great chance of some talented bigs being available when the Kings draft. Petrie's dilemma is whether to nab a hard worker who may not have much development left like Simien or Turiaf or to draft a guy with loads of unrealized potential and a rep for not giving his all like Villaneuva or Taft.

I just hope he doesn't screw up or trade away this pick for a future 1st. The Kings need pieces, and the draft is one of only a few options (the MLE too) at his disposal.

With Andriuskevicius and Bynum staying in that puts two more young, huge and potential-loaded big men into the top 20. They might even both be lotto picks. There are already a bunch of pf/c candidates in the first round, so someone is going to get lost in the shuffle and drop from the teens into the 20s where we can scoop them up.

I'm not too high on Simien either and I'm scared off by stuff I've read about Taft's work ethic and attitude. Hopefully it'll be Villanueva who slips. He's skilled, has the height & length to play power forward and I think he's probably a harder worker and more intense than people give him credit for.

And with the likelyhood of an age limit being put in place soon, I dont think to many high schoolers will withdraw from the draft unless they can have a huge freshman year in college.

NBA Draft.com Predicts the Sacramento Kings Select Chris Taft

Out of University of Pittsburgh.

Strengths: Athletic, big bodied forward with great potential … Reliable go-to inside threat… Has developed a nice intermediate range jumper and shows soft touch ... Very long limbed… Formidable shot blocker… Forces opponents to take bad shots… Quick leaper despite size … Hard to defend in the post as he’s very versatile… Has a nice go-to turnaround jumper… Can put the ball on the floor… Good passer out of the post… Crashes the boards on both ends and rarely gets outworked… Very tough and aggressive down low… Fundamentally sound… Shot is rarely blocked… Big soft hands ... A game changer even when he's not scoring ...

Weaknesses: Passive at times… Still hasn't put up huge numbers ... Has a good level of motivation but needs to develop a killer instinct ... Must continue to develop low-post game… Has all the tools to dominate but has yet to really do so… Needs to call for and demand the ball from teammates …

Any college basketball fans know anything about him? Share with us!!!

^ He was actually projected first overall at the beggining of this year before the season, and I think that made him think in his mind that he didn't have to try as hard because he was a lottery pick, he played very timid this year trying not to get hurt worrying about his lottery status, he has all the talent in the world, but he has to get some motivation back into him, hes gettin eaten up in workouts lately, hes exactly what our team needs if we can get some sense into his head...

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If he lasts until #23, we'd have to have a damn good reason not to take him. There's questions about his work ethic, but he's exactly what we're looking for otherwise. Somehow I think a talented, athletic 6-10 power forward won't slip as low as all the mock drafts have suggested.

hrdboild said:
If he lasts until #23, we'd have to have a damn good reason not to take him. There's questions about his work ethic, but he's exactly what we're looking for otherwise. Somehow I think a talented, athletic 6-10 power forward won't slip as low as all the mock drafts have suggested.
I would agree.

A telented 6-10 PF/C that has the NBA body will not slip as far as Mock Drafts are suggesting. If he is there when our pick comes around I would be amazed if we passed up on him.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't like Taft. Of course, I only saw him play three times this year so I may not be getting the whole picture. One of those games was against Notre Dame where I believe he scored 1 point for the whole game. I don't even remember Taft from the Pittsburgh-UConn game, which can't be a good sign. Villaneuva looked pretty good, but Rudy Gay was the man that game.

The only other game I remember was during the tournament. I was rooting for UOP so it was a good game from my perspective, but if memory serves, Taft had decent rebounding numbers.

Maybe if someone else has seen more of him they can comment. But here's my very general comment that encompasses Taft:

I think it's a terrible idea to draft a guy who is described in college as lazy or who is said to have a bad work ethic. Now, sometimes it's untrue. In some cases guys (Tayshaun Prince comes to mind) look like they drift simply because of their body language or style of play. And very rarely, a guy with physical gifts who doesn't have to exert himself on the college level redoubles his efforts when he finds himself struggling in the L.

In general though, guys who struggle to give effort on the college level become even more complacent in the NBA. If the love of the game or the allure of millions of dollars couldn't make them standouts in college, what will change on the next level?

Of course, I think the problem with Taft is deeper than that. Villaneuva looks lazy. I think Taft lacks heart.