OFFICIAL Draft Day Discussion Thread

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've split this off from the UPDATE thread so you can feel free to discuss the events as they happen. Please do not use the UPDATE thread for discussion; lots of people will be checking in for the latest information and it'll be easier if they don't have to scroll through a lot of posts to get it.

Thank you!!!

:D

Last edited:
Have any trades been made? Cold Pizza and ESPN Draft Special have been saying for the past 2 days that Portland was making some kind of trade or trying to give up their #3 for players and later first round picks? Im not sure if the deal went through or not but if anyone has an update on those trade talks please let us know.

Do you guys think that for the first time in GP's tenure here, that we might trade our pick? Does Petrie see something he likes that he would be willing to do anything to get that person?.....naaaaah, its Petrie, probably going to use the #23 pick on some unknown guy who he "personally" sees play because he figures everyone is a liar. Hopefully no one had a "breakout" camp where they played their best at our camp and we end up getting all excited for no reason. :\

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I keep checking ESPNEWS and haven't seen anything so far, except a bunch of very nervous young men trying to act nonchalant as they keep having microphones shoved into their faces.

Hey VF, listening to the radio they said that the draft starts at around 1:30 pm. However I see the coverage starting at 7 pm ET? What time do you expect #23 to be on the clock?

4:30 our time then. Hmm, didn't last years draft start earlier? They keep changing times on us. Figure our pick will be around 7 pm our time?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not sure, PFFFT!! I can't for the life of me remember how much time they get on the clock... If there are a number of trades going on, the teams might use the maximum time allowed.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Everybody gets 5 minutes on the clock. Allow for about 30 seconds between each and 23 x 5-1/2 minutes = 115+11.5=126 minutes or there about and #23 might not pop up until 6:36 PST or maybe as early as 6:25pm.

This draft will be great as nobody knows what anyone is doing beyond about 4 or 5.

I've been at the Palms in Las Vegas since sunday morning and not a peep here about anything. And Petrie and Adelmann and all the Maloofs were here Sat-Sun for their annual pre-draft meeting. Didn't see any of them and again no rumors or peeps, even from the bellmen! so home in time to see 2nd hour of the draft.

Blazers get No. 6, No. 27 and '06 first-rounder

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

The Utah Jazz and Portland Trail Blazers traded picks Tuesday.

Portland traded the rights to the No. 3 pick to Utah for the rights to the No. 6 and No. 27 picks and the rights to a 2006 first-round pick that the Jazz got from the Detroit Pistons, a league source said.

All trades had to be in by 2 p.m. ET.

A source said the Jazz would look to draft a point guard at No. 3, deciding between Illinois junior Deron Williams and Wake Forest sophomore Chris Paul. The Blazers would then possibly draft one of two high school players -- Gerald Green or Martell Webster -- at No. 6.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2005/news/story?id=2096328

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Hmm, I keep hearing they want Deron Williams.

That's a pretty good trade for Portland. They get three first round picks for one and they probably still get the guy they want in this draft with the sixth pick.

Whoever the Jazz take, whether it be Paul or Williams and assuming that he comes in and can make an impact, the Jazz should be a much more solid team barring any injuries. A front line of AK47, Boozer and Okur isn't that shabby.

hrdboild said:
Hmm, I keep hearing they want Deron Williams.

That's a pretty good trade for Portland. They get three first round picks for one and they probably still get the guy they want in this draft with the sixth pick.
yeah, jerry sloan is crazy about him.

CaminoChaos said:
yeah, jerry sloan is crazy about him.
He has to be...barring a strange, but not unheard of, pick from Mil or Atlanta taking him. However, the #3 pick is pivotal, since they got into the 3 best picks. You can't go wrong at #3.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I hate/highly dislike the Jazz. Being from U of I, I love Deron Williams. I really really don't want the Jazz to take Deron. :(

Gregorius said:
What? You can trade for FUTURE first round picks? Why don't why trade 5 first round picks and go up to number 1? I really want Bogut....
1) Because you're not allowed to owe that many future first rounders.
2) Even if you could, the Bucks wouldn't want those picks.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gregorius said:
What? You can trade for FUTURE first round picks? Why don't why trade 5 first round picks and go up to number 1? I really want Bogut....
One could be thrown in as a sweetnener, but NBA rules stipulate that you can only trade one every other year, so 5 of them would take you out 10 years, and most owners/GMs don't have anything like that sort of window in their decisionmaking. They want to win in the fairly immediate futrue. Might be able to give them 2 future firsts, but anything more thn that I think rapidly heads down the depriciation road -- they might well value current seconds more than firsts a decade from now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From NBA Draft central: Maglore is actively being shopped right now. They offered him to Toronto, who refused. They're reporting the Hornets are looking for draft picks...