OFFICIAL Draft Day Discussion Thread

Entity said:
Garcia was insurance incase we don't resign MO. I expect Barnes to come back and if mo is signed martin or Garia in a deal for a big.
Martin, Jackson & Bibby are our guards right now. That is, for the 1 AND the 2. Re-signing Mo and having Garcia is not too many backcourt players, imo.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Miami will get Taft or Simien with Haslem likely on his way out. Miami will be right back in the thick of things next season. Please don't tell me SA will get one of them

I say whover the the Spurs pick, Ian Mahinmi,, trade Garcia for him. because its likely that pick will be a solid player. SA is the best for finding late 1st round talent

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hrdboild said:
Hey VF? Can I change my roster prediction now? :) Cause this pick totally throws off everything I speculated.
Nope. Sorry. I think a lot of people's predictions just got really mixed up. That's why it's the ULTIMATE prediction. We'll see what happens. There's a lot of time left in TDOS and this could be the year when Petrie goes nuts making deals...

;)

VF21 said:
Nope. Sorry. I think a lot of people's predictions just got really mixed up. That's why it's the ULTIMATE prediction. We'll see what happens. There's a lot of time left in TDOS and this could be the year when Petrie goes nuts making deals...

;)
Yeah what a crazy draft! Those early picks screwed a whole bunch of things up for a lot of teams and helped the Kings get a better player though.

BobbyJ_for3! said:
"DONT DRAFT FOR NEED, ESP LATE IN THE DRAFT" is the name of the game. taht is what petrie did, and he knows what hes talking about
I guess that's what the Spurs didn't do when they selected Tony Parker at 21 (they needed a PG), and that's what the Mavs didn't do when they selected Josh Howard in the 20s a few years ago. I'm hopeful that either Martin or Garcia can turn into another Josh Howard (only as SGs instead of a SF), but we'll never know unless they get some actual court time.

Can someone please, please tell me why the Knicks would pick David Lee out of Florida. That's a high second round pick that they just squandered, imho. Malik Rose, Maurice Taylor, etc., etc. already on that roster, and David Lee goes that early in the second round to the Knicks?

Edit: holy crap, David Lee was picked with the last pick of the first round --- does that mean he gets a guaranteed contract for two years? Good lord.

OptimusRhyme said:
Garcia was speculated to go top 15 this year, so I'm pretty sure we got a steal..
I agree!!! I thought we got a steal with Kevin Martin last year but Special K wasn't nearly at the level of Garcia is now.

Draft Express report on Garcia:
Garcia's stock has fallen in our eyes, and apparently in the eyes of the scouts as well from what we are hearing. He has struggled mightily when going up against top teams, but for reasons that aren't being discussed in the media and when he is playing on TV. There are serious concerns about how his game will translate to the NBA.

The reason that he is having so much trouble against top teams and especially top defenders is the fact that he just isn't all that athletic. In a league like the NBA where the entire game revolves around speed, especially at the position he'll be playing (SG), this weakness severely limits his NBA potential.

Garcia's first step is average at best, he lacks quickness and has problems creating his own shot and creating space for himself to operate when he is being guarded by quick and long defenders who guard him closely and don't give room to get his shot off.

The fact that he is a 23 year old junior and has the type of body that doesn't look capable of putting on much more weight is a concern as well. Defensively, he lacks lateral quickness and strength, and it wouldn't be surprising if he was a below average defender in the NBA in his first couple of seasons until he learns to get around his physical deficiencies.

Garcia handles the ball extremely well and can play three different positions, but that's what makes his game so misleading because of the way he scores against poorer defenders with limited athletic ability in the NCAA. He'd probably be more of an off the bench type role player in the NBA, but his team could probably get him shots if they bring him off a couple of screens.

This isn't saying that he won't get drafted, far from that actually. There is definitely a spot for a guy like Garcia in the NBA. He can shoot and score with the best of them, from anywhere on the floor, he is long, versatile and a superb passer. He plays the game agressively and with a ton of passion and is one of the most competitive players you will find in the NCAA. That's exactly what makes him so hard to write off. No one would be surprised to see him drafted somewhere in the 20's, especially considering the type of shooting guards this draft has to offer.

Garcia also has a very high basketball IQ, which makes you think that he may be able to adjust his game to the NBA eventually and learn the little tricks that most savvy NBA veterans have to get their shot off as their athletic ability begins to decline. He is creative and cerebral and will not take no for an answer from anyone. Think of Reggie Miller maybe in this aspect, but not nearly as deadly a shooter.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
SacTownKid said:
Apparently Taft has been exposed BIG TIME! Why trade Corliss for a guy that would probably be cut before the season begins?
save a bunch of money and get rid of a superflorous aging player for a guy who COULD be something.

Edit -- interesting draft for G.S. picking up both Diogu AND Taft (Diogu being the guy who apparently exposed Taft in the first place in a private workout).

Last edited:
T

thesanityannex

Those rabbits better be breeding in Petrie's hat right now so he can pull out numerous tricks and land us a PF.

Pretty happy with Garcia. I like his versatility. He would be great off the bench as a back up PG/SG/SF. Gives us another play maker on the roster, who is a good shooter and playes decent D.

What this selection tells me is that we will trade for a PF and Mobley is officially gone.

Really wish the Kings could have grabbed Ersan Ilyasova !!! He would have been a great back up to Peja. Petrie, work your magic and scoop him away from the Bucks.