NBA Summer League 2014 in Las Vegas

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Excited to see these young guys play!

Fans are really going to go hard on the front office if Stauskas looks bad in Summer league after the IT thing
Oh bull-poopoo. Most savvy BB fans know better than to judge a player by his summer league performance, one way or the other.

I cannot believe how cynical so many Kings fans have become. Where's the joy? If you love the game, why is there always the need to find something negative to look forward to?

smh

Oh bull-poopoo. Most savvy BB fans know better than to judge a player by his summer league performance, one way or the other.

I cannot believe how cynical so many Kings fans have become. Where's the joy? If you love the game, why is there always the need to find something negative to look forward to?

smh
i know. But here we are talking about the people who think the sky is falling because Pizza Guy left, not the savvy BB fan...... Those people already have the pitchforks out ready to go at the FO, waiting for another reason to be mad

anyone watching this N.O. vs D league game?

N.O. went on an 18-0 run to go up by one with 20 somehting seconds left. D-leaguer air balled, dude tip dunked it. Pelican ball now down 1.

Vonleh was utter garbage in his first game. No box score, but charlotte article said he went 0/13 and was horrible on D. Bright side is he got 3 blocks.

and N.O. hit a 3 to win. wowww...

Most exciting SL game i've seen.
Yeah, Bajaden, Capt, Cruzdude, and my wife and I headed over to the Thomas and Mack to catch the tail end of that game.
In my opinion it was one of the 3 best moments that I saw in Summer League yesterday.
The other two were the last half of the 2nd quarter of the Cavs/Bucks game where both Wiggins and Parker picked up their game as well as the 1st half of the Kings game where we actually played decently.

But the back-and-forth at the end of the NO/D-League game was by far the most exciting part of a long day of basketball.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Couple of side notes:

old friends Hassan Whiteside (TOR) Cole Aldrich (NYK) and Jon Brockman (Clippers) have popped back up. Whiteside and Aldrich put up some numbers in their first games, did nto playu in the 2nd.

Dennis Shroeder who were supposedly interested in went 2-13 today. Vonleh, who were also supposedly interested in , went 0-13 yesterday. See? Ben ain't that bad! :p

Also, the Suns held out Oriakhi today. Not sure if that had anything to do with the trade, a request from us etc. Also not sure if its possible for players to switch teams mid SL after a trade.

There's a lot of guys in SL I would not expect. Josh Howard, Delonte West and others. Trent Lockett is on the DL stars team and still looks good. I like his game, but he just seems a step below the physical demands of the pro level.

Nik Johnson looks like a super athletic version of IT. I recall that we had him in for a tryout.

And Elfrid Payton has been the most impressive rook so far.

We will regret not taking Payton, all due to Viveks love affair with the Warriors. Payton has great vision, size, speed, athletic ability, and his shooting will improve. Nik will be good, but Payton will end up being one of the best players in this draft. If they felt IT was the opposite of what they wanted at PG, Payton was THE GUY. Knowing what we know now, Payton was on the board with only Ray McCallum as a PG on your roster, and they passed on him to get anothet SG(who will be better than McLemore) but still another SG.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
We will regret not taking Payton, all due to Viveks love affair with the Warriors. Payton has great vision, size, speed, athletic ability, and his shooting will improve. Nik will be good, but Payton will end up being one of the best players in this draft. If they felt IT was the opposite of what they wanted at PG, Payton was THE GUY.
Payton is an excellent player who can't shoot from distance. I have heard over and over from people on this forum that you can predict how well a player will be able to shoot eventually by his free throw ability. Payton's free throw ability is poor. I think he will have a fine career but as our FO went into the draft saying one of their needs was outside shooting perhaps to open up the paint for Cuz, that scratched Payton off the list. No matter what you think is on the FO's mind, like patterning themselves after GS, it is their team and I have to assume Malone had no big objection. I also think Nik could be a very good ball player who not only can shoot from just about anywhere but also can distribute the ball. He is not a PG but he has some PG skills. His skill level is different than Payton but at this point I would say he is just as likely to have a very good career.

I think there are several reasons why the FO wanted Nik without invoking the idea that the are trying to pattern a team after GS. Heck, with Cuz, that's impossible.

Well all we heard from Vivek and co. after drating Nik is Thompson, Steph. The guy obviously has an emotional attachment to that team. Also this team isnt making the playoffs in the west so the "he isnt ready to lead our playoff push should be a non issue". Payton has quickness and athletic ability, much like Rondo his bad shooting will only hinder him slightly, and his shot isnt broken like say Tyreke's was. Just a matter of putting time in the gym.

Until payton learns to shoot the ball, he needs shooters around him to take advantage of his passing abilities. I don't think Gay would be enough for him to succeed. The offense would look even more horrible and the defense would only get a moderate upgrade. We might actually lose more games.

Payton has had a TO issue thus far in SL and his lack of a consistent jumper makes it worse. Against real nba competition, he'll flash the talent, but will struggle.

His main plus this year is that he is always around the basket, picking up rebounds and loose balls.

He has 2nd tier PG written all over him, but he's a couple years from reaching that.

IMO, Exum was the only PG in this draft that will be a difference maker in year 1. Would have loved to go get him.

Well all we heard from Vivek and co. after drating Nik is Thompson, Steph. The guy obviously has an emotional attachment to that team. Also this team isnt making the playoffs in the west so the "he isnt ready to lead our playoff push should be a non issue". Payton has quickness and athletic ability, much like Rondo his bad shooting will only hinder him slightly, and his shot isnt broken like say Tyreke's was. Just a matter of putting time in the gym.
Lol what? GS is a really good team. I'd love to be modeled after them. Bad argument against the pick and reasoning.