NBA Summer League 2014 in Las Vegas

With McLemore, McCallum, Stauskas, Williams, Acy, Brooks and baby Wiggins, this team is going after them rings and dat Summer League hardware.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, it was good to see. Definitely looks like he has a different mindset. Hope he doesn't try to do TOO much, not his style.

Stauskas was all alone on the 3pt line on half of Ben's attempts, lol, might be a long summer league for Nik, and cold.
Part of Ben's mindset is because he's no longer the new kid on the block. He survived his rookie year. I think we'll see a vast difference in him this season. In fact, I'm counting on it. :)

How in the world does Marshon Brooks not have an NBA home right now? I mean....really? The guy is a pretty decent scoring talent.
Because he is one of the worst defenders in the league. He doesn't rebound or pass well. Oh and for a scorer he shoots 44% and doesn't hit 3's. Besides that, he's pretty good. :)

How in the world does Marshon Brooks not have an NBA home right now? I mean....really? The guy is a pretty decent scoring talent.
He is like a poor mans Nick Young(who is terrible to begin with imo), but at least he can knock down the 3 pretty consistently. I remember people comparing Brooks to Kobe when he was a rookie, LOL.

Watching Payton again. I'm impressed with draft analysis of him. Seem to all be true.

- Sloppy with the ball in his hands, especially when the D pressure gets turned up.

- I don't think he's made a jumpshot in SL yet.

- Really nice facilitator when given room.

- Decent D. Hard to truly gauge it in SL.

- Doesn't force his shot, which shows he knows his offensive limitations but makes me wonder if he'll have confidence to take one when he needs to.

- his FTs are a joke.

I'm glad we didn't draft him and still wouldn't want him if Nik had already been picked. He's a 3 year project, IMO.

I don't think Payton is a three year project. He'll be showing strides by the end of this season. He's filling up the box score while still being raw in many places. He has a good practice/work ethic and has a good mind. Those are things that lead to quicker development. I'll be keeping an eye on him all year.

I don't think Payton is a three year project. He'll be showing strides by the end of this season. He's filling up the box score while still being raw in many places. He has a good practice/work ethic and has a good mind. Those are things that lead to quicker development. I'll be keeping an eye on him all year.
He had 8 turnovers today. Took one jump shot and hit the front of the rim. It was an ugly performance, but all that is shown are his high lights which look exciting.

Marcus Smart is sort of the same, but playing better D and actually attempting shots but missing. Being SL, i respect that more. Better to put the work in and get the misses out in meaningless games.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Do you guys usually make game threads here during reg season? And what about for summer league...or does the only kings SL discussion belong in this thread. Sorry, still new.
Several of us go to nearly every summer league game and all post in different ways. I tend to summarize team play per quarter and key in on two players each quarter. bajaden and Uncia03, for example, get in to more details so don't publish as often but in much more objective detail than I. Others tend to a running dialog but now with NBA summer league live for $14.99 you can see every minute of every game on your laptop, desktop or iPad. And for those of us with NBA League Pass we get the same as part of our league pass account. So poke around.

He had 8 turnovers today. Took one jump shot and hit the front of the rim. It was an ugly performance, but all that is shown are his high lights which look exciting.

Marcus Smart is sort of the same, but playing better D and actually attempting shots but missing. Being SL, i respect that more. Better to put the work in and get the misses out in meaningless games.

Hits several jumpers here and cools down perhaps the hottest guy in SL in Caldwell Pope on the Pistons. What's most impressive were his passes and moving to spots on the floor to draw the defense and set up others.

Hits several jumpers here and cools down perhaps the hottest guy in SL in Caldwell Pope on the Pistons. What's most impressive were his passes and moving to spots on the floor to draw the defense and set up others.
Well, congrats to him, but i stand by what I said. There was no defensive pressure on him and he exploited it. You could see that in your video. He has the talent. I admitted that.

When he plays in real games, he's going to get chewed up because there isn't a coach in the league that won't see how nervous he gets when the D tightens up.

The jump shot is ugly, but at least he can hit it. I have serious doubts that it continues in the season. Too many red flags.

I have nothing against the kid, I just think everyone is hyping him way too much and ignoring obvious issues.

I worry more about his dribbling style than his shot. The way he dribbles exposes the ball too much. He will get his dribble pressured by NBA D. His one counter is his speed, which is why defenders are giving him space. However, once he gets in the lane, he needs to be able to have a dribble and handle that won't lose the ball in there. He's getting away with this in college and SL through mostly physical gifts.

I still expect his development to go faster than you think.

Very nice! Showed me a few things I didn't know about him.

I worry more about his dribbling style than his shot. The way he dribbles exposes the ball too much. He will get his dribble pressured by NBA D. His one counter is his speed, which is why defenders are giving him space. However, once he gets in the lane, he needs to be able to have a dribble and handle that won't lose the ball in there. He's getting away with this in college and SL through mostly physical gifts.

I still expect his development to go faster than you think.
I hope you're right. Seems like a good kid. I just can't see him being a true starting caliber PG this year and maybe not next. Could be wrong. Guess it depends on his ability to learn and work.