Monta

Monta Ellis (POLL NEW)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would also be assuming he'd prefer to sign with the Kings for LESS than what the Nuggets have offered already? Don't see that happening.
Please, SOMEONE other than the Kings sign him, and soon, so I don't have to worry about this garbage....ughhhhh!

I'm talking about his Golden State years, In Milwaukee he and Jennings were just about the worst backcourt pairing you could think of. In his Golden State years, particularly before Steph he did a lot of his work off the ball(rather than the iso heavy chucker you guys are assuming he is from his Buck days). Yes, he is not a great 3 pt shooter, but he is a serviceable one, and his midrange jumper is amongst the best in the league. He also has a phenomenal first step and is one of the best penetrating guards in the leauge who finishes well. If you eliminate his stint in Milwaukee, he is very much in the $10-$12 million, and frankly would be considered a better value than Tyreke(whose career average is .449 for a guy that does all his work inside). But this shouldn't be a Tyreke vs Monta. I would rather not have Monta, but signing him for $10 million would not be the terrible contract that you guys assume it is, especially with it at max only being 4 years, meaning 3 productive years (age 27-30), and you have an expiring contract on the fourth at still only age 31.
You can say that it isn't a Reke vs Monta but in the event that he does sign, that's essentially who we cleared the cap space for. So the comparisons between the 2 will be there and its going to get even uglier in here.

t_21754_07.jpg

I finally realized which player from the Kings past Monta Ellis reminds me.

Code:
Per 36 Minutes (Stats of the year before they joined the kings, if Monta does.)
Season 	Age 	Tm 	Lg 	FG 	FGA 	FG% 	3P 	3PA 	3P% 	FT 	FTA 	FT% 	ORB 	DRB 	TRB 	AST 	STL 	BLK 	TOV 	PF 	PTS
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf
1995-96 26 	DEN 	NBA 	7.3 	16.9 	.434 	2.1 	5.5 	.392 	2.6 	2.8 	.930 	0.5 	2.0 	2.4 	6.9 	1.1 	0.1 	2.0 	2.1 	19.4
Monta Ellis
2012-13 27 	MIL 	NBA 	7.0 	16.8 	.416 	1.1 	3.8 	.287 	3.4 	4.4 	.773 	0.5 	3.2 	3.7 	5.8 	2.0 	0.4 	3.0 	1.9 	18.5
A scorer with a little controversy behind him, who was hopefully going to take the team to the next level. Monta is a better rebounder than Abdul-Rauf, but he could never approach his Free Throw shooting or Assist to Turnover ratio.

View attachment 4539

I finally realized which player from the Kings past Monta Ellis reminds me.

Code:
Per 36 Minutes (Stats of the year before they joined the kings, if Monta does.)
Season 	Age 	Tm 	Lg 	FG 	FGA 	FG% 	3P 	3PA 	3P% 	FT 	FTA 	FT% 	ORB 	DRB 	TRB 	AST 	STL 	BLK 	TOV 	PF 	PTS
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf
1995-96 26 	DEN 	NBA 	7.3 	16.9 	.434 	2.1 	5.5 	.392 	2.6 	2.8 	.930 	0.5 	2.0 	2.4 	6.9 	1.1 	0.1 	2.0 	2.1 	19.4
Monta Ellis
2012-13 27 	MIL 	NBA 	7.0 	16.8 	.416 	1.1 	3.8 	.287 	3.4 	4.4 	.773 	0.5 	3.2 	3.7 	5.8 	2.0 	0.4 	3.0 	1.9 	18.5
A scorer with a little controversy behind him, who was hopefully going to take the team to the next level. Monta is a better rebounder than Abdul-Rauf, but he could never approach his Free Throw shooting or Assist to Turnover ratio.
So you just ignore all his Golden State years and only take into account his one year playing next to the biggest gunner pg in the league? He has had seasons of 25 and 24 ppg on efficient numbers, and was highly efficient in his first few years(including one season over .50 fg%). Monta isn't a great player, but there aren't many better pure scorers in the league than him at the SG position. Certainly not the scrub that should get paid $5 million like ive read on this thread. At $8-$9 million he is a pretty good bargain. $10-$12 is realistic, especially for a rebuilding small market team.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
You can say that it isn't a Reke vs Monta but in the event that he does sign, that's essentially who we cleared the cap space for. So the comparisons between the 2 will be there and its going to get even uglier in here.
While you are right the EZ path is to make the comparison to Tyreke, in reality Monta would be replacing Thorton in the line up (more or less) and most likely it will be Thorton that we have to move to make Roster space for Ellis. So the FAIR comparison will be to Thorton. Tyreek should rightly be compared to Vasquez that was the move we made and Vasquez will be taking the slot that Tyreke should have filled.

While you are right the EZ path is to make the comparison to Tyreke, in reality Monta would be replacing Thorton in the line up (more or less) and most likely it will be Thorton that we have to move to make Roster space for Ellis. So the FAIR comparison will be to Thorton. Tyreek should rightly be compared to Vasquez that was the move we made and Vasquez will be taking the slot that Tyreke should have filled.
Assuming Ellis signs it will be probably be something more like Evans, Thornton, (1 big), Jimmer? vs Vasquez, Ellis, Landry, ?

There would probably still be one more target via trade, our some smaller pieces, but Evans, Thornton a big and Jimmer collectively= roughly $25 million or so.

perfect! I was just looking at my advanced stats spreadsheet and thought our sexual harassment lawsuit +/- was dangerously low.

that's like 8 extra wins right there.

MONEYBALL!

So you just ignore all his Golden State years and only take into account his one year playing next to the biggest gunner pg in the league? He has had seasons of 25 and 24 ppg on efficient numbers, and was highly efficient in his first few years(including one season over .50 fg%). Monta isn't a great player, but there aren't many better pure scorers in the league than him at the SG position. Certainly not the scrub that should get paid $5 million like ive read on this thread. At $8-$9 million he is a pretty good bargain. $10-$12 is realistic, especially for a rebuilding small market team.
We'll find out if he's still that player from Golden State or that player from last year then. There's a reason the interest in him is lukewarm around the league right now. He's probably closer to being the Milwaukee version than the Golden State version. I'd take Reke over him 10 times out of 10. I like how we can make excuses for other players but Tyreke isn't allowed to have excuses.

No because mt makes 8m and plays around 25 minutes. If Ellis is coming in at that role and salary, I would still hate it but you could maybe argue its an upgrade. The problem is they are talking about a much bigger deal and Monty's personality currently is less apt to accept a 3rd guard role than Thornton.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
No because mt makes 8m and plays around 25 minutes. If Ellis is coming in at that role and salary, I would still hate it but you could maybe argue its an upgrade. The problem is they are talking about a much bigger deal and Monty's personality currently is less apt to accept a 3rd guard role than Thornton.
But the assumption was that once rational people were running the show Thornton or McLemore would start at the 2, if you are going by last season's misplacements then we have to compare Vasquez to IT... guess PDA is a freaking genius.

But the assumption was that once rational people were running the show Thornton or McLemore would start at the 2, if you are going by last season's misplacements then we have to compare Vasquez to IT... guess PDA is a freaking genius.
Not sure I understand but it's been a long day.

If MT was going to start at sg until Mac is ready, I don't view Ellis as a good upgrade since we could have just kept the better, younger, cheaper, less cancerous Evans.

I'll try to put some thoughts into why we're interested with Monta. Not that I like this move, but I'll be the devil's advocate.

1. This could only work if Monta plays the starting PG, and Vasquez goes to the bench. There isn't much ego that will he hit there coz surely Monta earns higher than Vazquez and Vazquez is also an ender next season.
2. We will ship Jimmer, which leaves IT as the change of pace guy after Vasquez.
3. Thorton may not be shipped.
4. And we'll the lineup of:

PG - Monta/Vasquez/IT
SG - MCL/Thornton
SF - Salmons/Outlaw/ TBD (FA)
PF - PPat/Landry/Hayes
C - DMC/JT

Probably an approach of 4 players outside and leaving DMC in the mid on offense.
Looks like a D12 approach in Orlando, except that DMC has better post moves than D12 and the outside shooters are much better ballhandlers and mid range shooters.

Once DMC sits, Landry comes of the bench and more likely gonna same as DMC plays using more of his quickness.

I'll try to put some thoughts into why we're interested with Monta. Not that I like this move, but I'll be the devil's advocate.

1. This could only work if Monta plays the starting PG, and Vasquez goes to the bench. There isn't much ego that will he hit there coz surely Monta earns higher than Vazquez and Vazquez is also an ender next season.
2. We will ship Jimmer, which leaves IT as the change of pace guy after Vasquez.
3. Thorton may not be shipped.
4. And we'll the lineup of:

PG - Monta/Vasquez/IT
SG - MCL/Thornton
SF - Salmons/Outlaw/ TBD (FA)
PF - PPat/Landry/Hayes
C - DMC/JT

Probably an approach of 4 players outside and leaving DMC in the mid on offense.
Looks like a D12 approach in Orlando, except that DMC has better post moves than D12 and the outside shooters are much better ballhandlers and mid range shooters.

Once DMC sits, Landry comes of the bench and more likely gonna same as DMC plays using more of his quickness.
Monta as starting pg? Also worst defensive team in the league, hands down.

Code:
 Stats Per 36 minutes
Season 	Age 	Tm 	FG 	FGA 	FG% 	3P 	3PA 	3P% 	FT 	FTA 	FT% 	ORB 	DRB 	TRB 	AST 	STL 	BLK 	TOV 	PF 	PTS
2009-10  24 	GSW 	8.6 	19.1 	.449 	1.0 	3.1 	.338 	4.0 	5.3 	.753 	0.6 	2.9 	3.5 	4.6 	1.9 	0.3 	3.3 	2.6 	22.2
2010-11  25 	GSW 	8.1 	18.0 	.451 	1.5 	4.2 	.361 	3.8 	4.8 	.789 	0.5 	2.6 	3.1 	5.0 	1.9 	0.3 	2.8 	2.3 	21.5
2011-12  26 	TOT 	7.6 	17.7 	.433 	1.1 	3.4 	.308 	3.7 	4.7 	.796 	0.3 	3.1 	3.4 	5.9 	1.4 	0.3 	3.0 	2.3 	20.1
2012-13  27 	MIL 	7.0 	16.8 	.416 	1.1 	3.8 	.287 	3.4 	4.4 	.773 	0.5 	3.2 	3.7 	5.8 	2.0 	0.4 	3.0 	1.9 	18.5
I am not sure why you would want to illustrate his declining shooting percentages, but here you go. Another good rule of thumb for GMs is to grab players on their way up, not before they breakdown. Ellis played the most minutes out of anyone in the 2010-11 season. So even though he is only 27 and had the moped injury he has played a ton of minutes so far in his career.

It's a dedicated fan that puts a highlight reel together of a 9-24 shooting performance. Also a Patterson/Hayes front court is about as open lane as you get in the NBA.
Bucks still beat us, and 29 and 9 is nothing to scoff at. Also we are not signing Ellis for his defense, he is a pure scorer(with decent enough court vision) that will hopefully play solid team defense under Malone, we are not signing Ellis to be a defensive stopper(if he signs). Also i don't think he would be the primary ball handler, we would use Vasquez and Cousins to set up his looks(at least in the half court).

Code:
 Stats Per 36 minutes
Season 	Age 	Tm 	FG 	FGA 	FG% 	3P 	3PA 	3P% 	FT 	FTA 	FT% 	ORB 	DRB 	TRB 	AST 	STL 	BLK 	TOV 	PF 	PTS
2009-10  24 	GSW 	8.6 	19.1 	.449 	1.0 	3.1 	.338 	4.0 	5.3 	.753 	0.6 	2.9 	3.5 	4.6 	1.9 	0.3 	3.3 	2.6 	22.2
2010-11  25 	GSW 	8.1 	18.0 	.451 	1.5 	4.2 	.361 	3.8 	4.8 	.789 	0.5 	2.6 	3.1 	5.0 	1.9 	0.3 	2.8 	2.3 	21.5
2011-12  26 	TOT 	7.6 	17.7 	.433 	1.1 	3.4 	.308 	3.7 	4.7 	.796 	0.3 	3.1 	3.4 	5.9 	1.4 	0.3 	3.0 	2.3 	20.1
2012-13  27 	MIL 	7.0 	16.8 	.416 	1.1 	3.8 	.287 	3.4 	4.4 	.773 	0.5 	3.2 	3.7 	5.8 	2.0 	0.4 	3.0 	1.9 	18.5
I am not sure why you would want to illustrate his declining shooting percentages, but here you go. Another good rule of thumb for GMs is to grab players on their way up, not before they breakdown. Ellis played the most minutes out of anyone in the 2010-11 season. So even though he is only 27 and had the moped injury he has played a ton of minutes so far in his career.
Not a lot of playoff minutes though, guys like Kobe end up playing adding multiple seasons to their legs because of playoffs. Plus i never said i want Ellis, in fact im mostly against it, but since it is a possibility i'm just trying to give the board an alternate viewpoint as to why it would be an acceptable move. Anyways at 27, if he were to sign a four year deal, we get him in his prime for 3 years, after which he is just an expiring. Do I 100% support the move?, no, will I hang myself like it seems most people on here will? no.

Not a lot of playoff minutes though, guys like Kobe end up playing adding multiple seasons to their legs because of playoffs. Plus i never said i want Ellis, in fact im mostly against it, but since it is a possibility i'm just trying to give the board an alternate viewpoint as to why it would be an acceptable move. Anyways at 27, if he were to sign a four year deal, we get him in his prime for 3 years, after which he is just an expiring. Do I 100% support the move?, no, will I hang myself like it seems most people on here will? no.
I just find it odd that you've completely flipped on the same issues regarding Reke.

According to you, Reke was a black hole, who couldn't shoot, didn't have the right personality, wasn't worth $11m, wasn't wanted by anyone else, shouldn't replace Mac.

Now Ellis is mentioned as a signing and everything you claimed about Reke (without even getting to Reke's advantages over monta) and it doesn't apply.

Just odd.

This according to Chris Sheridan of SheridanHoops on Twitter:

"Monta Ellis is talking with the Sacramento Kings, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports: “After opting out of an $11 million contract for next season with the Milwaukee Bucks, Monta Ellis is discussing a free-agent deal with the Sacramento Kings, league sources told CBSSports.com. With several avenues closed off as teams fill their needs for guards in free agency, Ellis could wind up with the Kings, who began doing their homework on him weeks ago. According to a person familiar with the situation, Kings owner Vivek Ranadive began inquiring about Ellis around the time his purchase of the Sacramento franchise was completed in late May. Ranadive, a former minority partner in the Golden State Warriors, identified Ellis as a possible free-agent target as he was finalizing his group’s purchase of the Kings.”

That last sentence is a bit concerning, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.