[Mar/Apr] General Kings Talk

I saw Rodman on some show not too long ago. He and reality don't even exchange post cards any more IMHO. Bringing him into the Kings would be like putting out a dumpster fire with gasoline.
Not the Kings. Monitored sessions teaching WCS how to read the ball. Rodman was the best rebounder not just because of effort, but he watched more film than anyone. He learned watching trajectory and shot angles where the ball would end up and he'd get in those positions.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not the Kings. Monitored sessions teaching WCS how to read the ball. Rodman was the best rebounder not just because of effort, but he watched more film than anyone. He learned watching trajectory and shot angles where the ball would end up and he'd get in those positions.
I'll restate. Any valuable knowledge Dennis Rodman might have had about basketball - or almost anything else - is most likely no longer retrievable. He might lose a battle of wits with a rutabaga.

Keeping Joeger around is imperative. I think he's done well with the cards he's been dealt this season. A tell tale sign that a coach is a good one imo are plays coming out of a time out. 9 out of 10 of Joegers draw ups end up in a basket. George Karl's plays out of time outs were effective as well if I recall...and despite the tumultuous season here, there is no doubt he is a great coach.

I will reiterate. This IS the most stressful lotto we have had.
Don't be stressed out about this one. Our track record is that we seldom get anything useful out of a draft. If we do something better than that this year, hey, it's all gravy. Figure on a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder, say a Stauskas and a Douby, and if we do better, again, it's gravy. Now look on our roster and enjoy what we have.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Don't be stressed out about this one. Our track record is that we seldom get anything useful out of a draft. If we do something better than that this year, hey, it's all gravy. Figure on a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder, say a Stauskas and a Douby, and if we do better, again, it's gravy. Now look on our roster and enjoy what we have.
Vlade has gotten us WCS, Papa G, Skal, and Mali with his drafting.

Skal looked like a future superstar tonight. WCS is improving by the game. Mali looks like he'll be a rotation player at the least. Papa G is still way too raw to judge, but he's also making progress.

Vlade has made a lot of blunders as GM. But his drafting is looking pretty solid so far.

Maybe his tenure as a scout for The Lakers is paying off. :p

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Skal looked like a future superstar tonight. WCS is improving by the game. Mali looks like he'll be a rotation player at the least. Papa G is still way too raw to judge, but he's also making progress.

Vlade has made a lot of blunders as GM. But his drafting is looking pretty solid so far.

It's a shame Malachi got hurt, it would of been really fun to showcase more of him with more minutes. He does need to stop taking those long two point shots though, step back just a bit and take the three instead.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

KingFanKrish‏@krishcoughran 1m1 minute ago

I don't want to bear anyone say Vlade lucked into hitting on this rebuild. He has made huge ballsy moves with two big trades.

OK, so just milling around with some numbers here

There is ZERO chance Afflalo is on this team next year. We might be able to trade him before the deadline for space or a 2nd or something, but he's most likely going to be waived. I guess since he could be part of a draft pick deal for salary filler, then able to be cut by the receiving team.

I think Rudy is opting out, but lets assume he's not. If the previous two are correct we will have 10 players under contract. Galloway can opt out, but no way he does. So if we use all 3 picks and sign Bogdanovich we will have 1 spot left to offer an FA a contract.

I doubt we do anything but let Ben walk. Maybe we extend QO in hopes to do Sign and Trade, but I doubt it.

Now Galloway can be waived and stretched and Rudy will probably opt out. So that would give us two more slots and we would have a total of about 40MM in cap space. Assuming we give Bogdan 10MM per. I think he will get at least that, if not more.

We will need at minimum 1 veteran PG, 1 Veteran SF and probably a serviceable back up PG. This is assuming we draft a PG and SF.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
OK, so just milling around with some numbers here

There is ZERO chance Afflalo is on this team next year. We might be able to trade him before the deadline for space or a 2nd or something, but he's most likely going to be waived. I guess since he could be part of a draft pick deal for salary filler, then able to be cut by the receiving team.

I think Rudy is opting out, but lets assume he's not. If the previous two are correct we will have 10 players under contract. Galloway can opt out, but no way he does. So if we use all 3 picks and sign Bogdanovich we will have 1 spot left to offer an FA a contract.

I doubt we do anything but let Ben walk. Maybe we extend QO in hopes to do Sign and Trade, but I doubt it.

Now Galloway can be waived and stretched and Rudy will probably opt out. So that would give us two more slots and we would have a total of about 40MM in cap space. Assuming we give Bogdan 10MM per. I think he will get at least that, if not more.

We will need at minimum 1 veteran PG, 1 Veteran SF and probably a serviceable back up PG. This is assuming we draft a PG and SF.
IIRC, Petrie almost always had a roster spot open ... just in case. I'd like to see us return to that practice...just in case. ;)

Good point. His contract may be very valuable right when Free Agency is about to start and teams are trying to open up cap space for a signing. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Just saw on Rotoworld, Malachi is still out another week or two (according to James Ham).

Wonder who's been feeding Grant the "he'll be back Wednesday" info?

I also wonder who's info is correct. We'll see Wednesday.

Just saw on Rotoworld, Malachi is still out another week or two (according to James Ham).

Wonder who's been feeding Grant the "he'll be back Wednesday" info?

I also wonder who's info is correct. We'll see Wednesday.
I don't remember where, but I heard Malachi himself say in an interview about a week ago that he was just a day or two away from coming back. As often happens with hammies, you think you're over it and then, when you really push it, it's still not healed!

I'll restate. Any valuable knowledge Dennis Rodman might have had about basketball - or almost anything else - is most likely no longer retrievable. He might lose a battle of wits with a rutabaga.
Theres some things you cant lose. Regardless of his battles with life, you put Dennis in a gym with a ball coming off iron/glass and it'll all come back to him. That knowledge will never leave him regardless of what he try's to wash it away with. Getting him in a state where he is able to communicate, pass on some of his insights is a different story but that knowledge is there, its just a matter of working a situation/environment where he is able to divulge positively. That may be the issue and honestly its not something id consider our FO/management as capable of pulling off.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Why do I have the feeling that if we bring Rodman here, it would only be a matter of months before photographs leak of Vivek and Kim Jong-Un "shaka-ing" for the cameras at a Drake house party.

Theres some things you cant lose. Regardless of his battles with life, you put Dennis in a gym with a ball coming off iron/glass and it'll all come back to him. That knowledge will never leave him regardless of what he try's to wash it away with. Getting him in a state where he is able to communicate, pass on some of his insights is a different story but that knowledge is there, its just a matter of working a situation/environment where he is able to divulge positively. That may be the issue and honestly its not something id consider our FO/management as capable of pulling off.
LOL. Watch Rodman on the Eric Andre Show....the guy has completely lost his mind. He's like Gary Busey at this point. The things he says just make no sense....NO franchise should inquire about his services, let alone a King's team that's been a joke for a decade. Keep him FAR AWAY from our young guys.

But seriously, check out the clip of him on the Eric Andre show. It's pretty funny

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
#CharacterMatters

Rodman would be the scariest loose cannon in the history of the Kings. At this point, I cannot see any reason to bring him in. As others have alluded to, he's now pretty much bat-poop nuts. His history of alcohol abuse alone should make it clear why he should never be allowed near impressionable young players who have suddenly come into significant sums of money.

Is there a reason this is coming up now?
Well yeah. I mean who doesn't love a story about a hypothetical situation from the past? What is better than discussing (and hopefully arguing vehemently), the merits of something that never happened. I know it's one of my favorite things to do.:D