[Game] Kings vs Pelicans Game Thread(Summer League) 7/11/16 10:00 PM ET/7:00 PM PT

I keep hearing this but I have to ask .. potential for what? To be a role playing guy who grabs a few rebounds and sets some screens? I can see that. But to be honest right now based on my very very limited sample size of an inexperienced player I'd be happy if he'd even become as good as Koufos. Just doesn't seem to have the tools or skills to be effective in today's league.
Again, it's hard not to overreact, but I think you called this perfectly. Right now, he looks like a guy you hope becomes a 20-25 MPG C who rebounds and alters shots at the rim with his size. We have yet to see the big time skills that Vlade sold us on.

PapaGiannis looks like someone who needs other 2 years in Europe before coming over. He's not even close to being ready which also begs the question as to why we used #13 on this big of a project

Papa was better yesterday... the good news is Skal and Malachi show promise, so if Papa comes along it doesn't really matter how bad everyone else is in SL (except maybe us worrying about WCS)
Agreed that he looked better yesterday , Today he just looks gassed . So did Malachi . Don't forget that this is a back to back game.

And he had a pretty good post game, outside shot and passing skills. I reckon with a better work ethic and willingness to play inside Hawes would have been a top 10 big in the league. But my point is that Hawes displayed all these skills whereas Papa so far just looks like ... slightly better Sim Bhullar.
I know its easy to bash on Hawes, but the dude has had a successful career. He's been at least a consistent rotational player for 9 seasons in the NBA.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Again, it's hard not to overreact, but I think you called this perfectly. Right now, he looks like a guy you hope becomes a 20-25 MPG C who rebounds and alters shots at the rim with his size. We have yet to see the big time skills that Vlade sold us on.

PapaGiannis looks like someone who needs other 2 years in Europe before coming over. He's not even close to being ready which also begs the question as to why we used #13 on this big of a project
This hurts to read...yet, it has a high possibility of being true.

Juan Hernangomez is looking like a guy we should have looked at at Pappa spot, or Valentine, both look like they can contribute right away off the bench.

I keep hearing this but I have to ask .. potential for what? To be a role playing guy who grabs a few rebounds and sets some screens? I can see that. But to be honest right now based on my very very limited sample size of an inexperienced player I'd be happy if he'd even become as good as Koufos. Just doesn't seem to have the tools or skills to be effective in today's league.
People are comparing him to Marc Gasol , Papa is similar height a little better athlete . Gasol also was not in good shape when he first came into he league . But once he got into NBA shape , he transformed into an Allstar center . Also don't forget that Papa is coming over from Europe and is adjusting to NBA game . Peja Stojakovic didn't look good in his first season either . I am holding back judgement on him for a couple years . At the moment he doesn't look ready so we better keep Koufos .

People are comparing him to Marc Gasol , Papa is similar height a little better athlete . Gasol also was not in good shape when he first came into he league . But once he got into NBA shape , he transformed into an Allstar center . Also don't forget that Papa is coming over from Europe and is adjusting to NBA game . Peja Stojakovic didn't look good in his first season either . I am holding back judgement on him for a couple years . At the moment he doesn't look ready so we better keep Koufos .
Honestly, I don't think anyone should be comparing Papagiannis to Gasol........ it might be better comparing him to Koufos right now......

Comparing him to Gasol is putting unrealistic expectations on him.....

K

KingsFan80

Really curious as to what Vlade saw in Papagiannis that he didn't see in Baldwin..
No idea...i stand by my prediction, the guy won't be a King in 3 years. Or even in the league. Should have taken Baldwin. Papa and Tolliver can hang out at the end of the bench eating popcorn.

Positives: malachi showed me a lot of potential offensively, skal showed confidence and a good touch from outside (still hope he can be better than Frye in 2 years), Stockton and utoff will be helping the dleague team this year.

Negatives: WCS looked uninterested throughout the entire game. Missed dunks, lazy d, no midrange shot today. PapaG looked like vlade divac did at 38 years old! Talk about slow. Noone can make 3s on this squad and it's poorly constructed without Isaiah cousins starting.

With all this being said I know it's just summer league so it's nothing to gauge 1 players entire career on. I pray that with a lot of conditioning papa g can become something more like a valancunias instead of a KK. Fingers crossed lol

So... for all intents and purposes, I'm just going to pretend that Skal was our lottery pick at #13, and Papa was our #28. Actually, y'know what, scratch that. I. Cousins can be #28, and Papa can be #59.

Baldwin, Valentine, Ellenson, Hernangomez were all sitting there. All could have helped off the bench next year.
Ellenson is going to be good. I wonder why on earth we overlooked him. The bigger miss will be Dejounte Murray. Book it right now. I guess beggers can't be choosers.

We'll look back at this draft and know we had 3 picks to make something happen... if the guys around us turn out into studs, I think Vlade will have already been fired.

SL hasn't been promising at all for our rookies..

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Baldwin, Valentine, Ellenson, Hernangomez were all sitting there. All could have helped off the bench next year.
Ellenson and Hernangomez are looking pretty good so far, but oh well - still lots of time for Paga G to turn it around. Maybe his knees are still bothering him too.

K

KingMilz

KK should be officially OFF the trade block after tonight's game from Big Papa!!! :eek:
Should still be on the table if Joeger decides to play more small ball with Barnes/AT(or even Skal at times) at the 4 meaning more of WCS at the 5 when Cousins is not in the game.

Love what I'm seeing out of Skal and Richardson.

The good news is Skal and Malachi look WAY further along than I expected. Both very active on both ends and for the most part made positive plays. We saw some of the noted wildness of Malachi, but when he keeps it dialed in, he looks like he can be a quality player 2-way player. Skal looks like the one with star potential. Shooting stroke looks fantastic, he showed promise with his offensive moves and he hasn't gotten bullied off the low-block when boxing out/rebounding like I thought he would. And has the length/athleticism to bother shots and an impact defender down the line.

Ellenson is going to be good. I wonder why on earth we overlooked him. The bigger miss will be Dejounte Murray. Book it right now. I guess beggers can't be choosers.

We'll look back at this draft and know we had 3 picks to make something happen... if the guys around us turn out into studs, I think Vlade will have already been fired.

SL hasn't been promising at all for our rookies..
huh? Malachi and Skal have been very good, especially considering their draft position. Both showing good defensive activity, length and shooting. I've been very impressed how Skal's been able to compete in the paint and Malachi for the most part hasn't been the wild chucker he was at Syracuse. Couple shots here and there, but he's stayed in his lane and taken what the defense has given him.

K

KingMilz

The good news is Skal and Malachi look WAY further along than I expected. Both very active on both ends and for the most part made positive plays. We saw some of the noted wildness of Malachi, but when he keeps it dialed in, he looks like he can be a quality player. Skal looks like the one with star potential. Shooting stroke looks fantastic, he showed promise with his offensive moves and he hasn't gotten bullied off the low-block when boxing out/rebounding like I thought he would. And has the length/athleticism to bother shots and an impact defender down the line.
Yeap Skal also has a unexpected fire/toughness a bit like what Q would bring in last year which kind of surprised me in SL

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
huh? Malachi and Skal have been very good, especially considering their draft position. Both showing good defensive activity, length and shooting. I've been very impressed how Skal's been able to compete in the paint and Malachi for the most part hasn't been the wild chucker he was at Syracuse. Couple shots here and there, but he's stayed in his lane and taken what the defense has given him.
Also keep in mind no one on the roster has set any quality screens to open up shots for Malachi, unlike New Orleans, who continued to use their bigs to bump Malachi and free up Buddy.

I know its easy to bash on Hawes, but the dude has had a successful career. He's been at least a consistent rotational player for 9 seasons in the NBA.
Yep I wasn't trying to bash him. He's carved a good role in the NBA as a backup big, but I think that he had the potential to be much much better.