[Game] Kings vs. Clippers, 12/22/2021 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Fox was great in that game and upstaged Lonzo.

It’s entirely irrelevant now.
No it's not irrelevant. In about 6 months this board will be all aflutter with highlights of top 5 draft prospects accompanied by a lot of moaning about how we need to tank for real to get a generational talent like that. I doubt any of them will put together a game as impressive as that one in the tournament this year. If I showed you a guy in this upcoming draft who could do that, you would 100% want him on this team. He's four years into his career and has improved every single year. He's been top 20 in scoring in the NBA for the last 3 seasons and nobody wins in this league without a top 20 scorer. The problem has always been and will continue to be that we give up more points than we score on a nightly basis. No superstar is fixing that because it takes a team effort to defend in the NBA.

Hmm. Perhaps we should trade Fox, tank this season, and then all get super hype about an 18 year old who just hung 39 points against a fellow top 5 prospect in this year's NCAA tournament eh?

Would love Lonzo on the Kings. Another connector and a plus defender.

As for Fox, I thought he would be more Gary Payton than Leandro Barbosa at this point in his career.

No it's not irrelevant. In about 6 months this board will be all aflutter with highlights of top 5 draft prospects accompanied by a lot of moaning about how we need to tank for real to get a generational talent like that. I doubt any of them will put together a game as impressive as that one in the tournament this year. If I showed you a guy in this upcoming draft who could do that, you would 100% want him on this team. He's four years into his career and has improved every single year. He's been top 20 in scoring in the NBA for the last 3 seasons and nobody wins in this league without a top 20 scorer. The problem has always been and will continue to be that we give up more points than we score on a nightly basis. No superstar is fixing that because it takes a team effort to defend in the NBA.
Fox is in his 5th year in the NBA actually, and has been handed the keys for the majority of his time here.

He hasn’t developed a reliable three-point shot and he’s a net-negative defender.

Opposing teams aren’t exactly quaking in their shoes when he has the ball in crunch time.

Quit with the excuses - Fox is what he is at this point, which is a talented NBA player that is not worthy of being a foundational piece.

He’s not talented or tough enough to be anything more than that, but more notably - he doesn’t have the heart of a champion and he never will.

History will prove me right - just watch.

Merry Christmas.

hrdboild

Staff member
Fox is in his 5th year in the NBA actually, and has been handed the keys for the majority of his time here.

He hasn’t developed a reliable three-point shot and he’s a net-negative defender.

Opposing teams aren’t exactly quaking in their shoes when he has the ball in crunch time.

Quit with the excuses - Fox is what he is at this point, which is a talented NBA player that is not worthy of being a foundational piece.

He’s not talented or tough enough to be anything more than that, but more notably - he doesn’t have the heart of a champion and he never will.

History will prove me right - just watch.

Merry Christmas.
Who peed in your cornflakes? He doesn't have the heart of a champion? I guess it takes one to know one then?

Who peed in your cornflakes? He doesn't have the heart of a champion? I guess it takes one to know one then?
Don’t be upset with me, be angry with yourself that you believed in a player that will never be anything more than what you see from him right now - good scorer but not consistently efficient, subpar defender, and does nothing to elevate this Kings team beyond irrelevant status.

Time to wake up, skippy - Vlade’s shared pipe dream is over.

PERIOD. Someone take this post and frame it or pin it, please. Whew.

hrdboild

Staff member
Don’t be upset with me, be angry with yourself that you believed in a player that will never be anything more than what you see from him right now - good scorer but not consistently efficient, subpar defender, and does nothing to elevate this Kings team beyond irrelevant status.

Time to wake up, skippy - Vlade’s shared pipe dream is over.
Oh I'm not upset. I think this is hilarious. Especially the last bit about history proving you right. It seems to me like you're partaking a bit from your own supply if you catch my meaning. It's cool though, we've all been there at one time or another. I've certainly made more than a few embarrassing prognostications in my time here. History ultimately makes fools of us all if we live long enough. Merry Christmas to you too! :)

It’s time for a massive losing streak to begin. We are not far from having the 3rd worst record in the league. Covid is an excellent excuse to throw away the season especially if our guys are gone for 3/4 weeks

It’s time for a massive losing streak to begin. We are not far from having the 3rd worst record in the league. Covid is an excellent excuse to throw away the season especially if our guys are gone for 3/4 weeks
Jabari Smith Jr. looks impressive. Followed by Banchero and Holmgren.

Entity

Hall of Famer
89 points! It's almost impossible to score so few points in a NBA game. Guess we need some guy who can score after all.
hali has been scoring lately but in watching it. He is having to throw out massive amounts of effort to score. his assist seem fluid and easy to him. his scoring takes 100% effort comapared to Fox scoring the same on what looks to be minimal effort. If only fox asserted as much effort as Hali. Then we might have something. Hali's scoring just seems like he can't keep that up consistently.

no to holmgren. he does not look impressive. doesn't even look like a first rounder to me. jabari smith looks like the real deal though
I haven't seen a lot of Zags games so far this year, but what do you not like about him? He's 7 feet, shoots like 60% FG and like 37% from 3PT and blocks like 3 per game. Just too soft/weak?

I haven't seen a lot of Zags games so far this year, but what do you not like about him? He's 7 feet, shoots like 60% FG and like 37% from 3PT and blocks like 3 per game. Just too soft/weak?
I have seen a decent amount of Holmgren. I rate him somewhere between Skal to Markannen to Pau Gasol. His body reminds me of a young Gasol and his game as well (with more emphasis on the perimeter given where the league has gone). He ends up being a 5 when his body feels out. Is he top 5 lottery pick? Yes. Do I rate him as a star? I don't see that.

Smith Jr. Intriguing tools at 6'9ish, decent handle, decent shot, plays the game the right way. Squint hard enough and there's some KD, MPJ there.
Banchero. Modern day three. Best handle between Smith Jr, Holmgren, and himself. Somewhere between Jabari Parker to Paul George to Jayson Tatum.
Holmgren. See above.

Haven't watched others. Will do so.

Oh I'm not upset. I think this is hilarious. Especially the last bit about history proving you right. It seems to me like you're partaking a bit from your own supply if you catch my meaning. It's cool though, we've all been there at one time or another. I've certainly made more than a few embarrassing prognostications in my time here. History ultimately makes fools of us all if we live long enough. Merry Christmas to you too! :)
"Rule # 2....never get high on your own supply"

Skill wise, no concern. Looks like an incredible modern 5 with a dynamic skill-set. I am worried about his frame being able to add weight and what happens when he has to defend Jokic/Embiid/KAT/Gobert/Nurk type of physicality in the post. I think that's the only thing keeping him from being a star/franchise cornerstone player.

With the obvious caveat that anyone can look impressive if you choose the right stats and criteria (RekeROY averaged 20/5/5 just like Lebron, MJ, and Grant Hill!), this is a good list to be on.
Man. When Fox comes back, shy/non-aggressive Hali can't come back. It has to be the goal of Christie/Gentry to keep them both dynamic at the same time.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Skill wise, no concern. Looks like an incredible modern 5 with a dynamic skill-set. I am worried about his frame being able to add weight and what happens when he has to defend Jokic/Embiid/KAT/Gobert/Nurk type of physicality in the post. I think that's the only thing keeping him from being a star/franchise cornerstone player.
Yeah, at the risk of turning this into a draft thread (there's an entire forum devoted to draft prospects further down KingsFans.com!), Chet has all the skills and talent you could possibly want from a modern NBA big plus more (he's pretty much New York Porzingis in that regard), has great intangibles, and plays hard on both ends of the court but the way he's built physically just scares me. I look at his shoulders and narrow hips and just can't figure out how he's going to be able to add weight without throwing off his biomechanics.

With the obvious caveat that anyone can look impressive if you choose the right stats and criteria (RekeROY averaged 20/5/5 just like Lebron, MJ, and Grant Hill!), this is a good list to be on.
I feel like we always get one player on these types of lists (Tyreke, Cousins, Fox, Hali) but our player is always the only one that's on a losing team.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Also given all the hype he's gotten and how fast the Hornets play (and how good he is), I'm surprised Lamelo isn't in any of these arbitrary compiled stats lists.

hrdboild

Staff member
Ty Haliburton is currently leading his entire rookie class in Win Shares. It doesn't hurt that LaMelo and AntMan have both missed a lot of games with injuries but even so, nabbing Haliburton in the late lottery was a massive steal for McNair.
yup. Was the obvious pick, but we're living proof how devastating passing on the "obvious" pick can be for your franchise. And Ant has played nearly 600 more minutes than Ty and Melo about 500 less minutes, so it's not like a crazy difference separates them

Entity

Hall of Famer
I watched him vs Alabama. I was expecting a lot from him as Alabama is known for guard play. Chet was invisible on both ends.