[Game] Kings vs. Clippers, 12/22/2021 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Really? A player’s highlights on YouTube does not equal ripping a team’s defensive heart out. Ripping a team’s defensive heart out is scoring at will, in crunch time, when the opposing team knows he has the ball and they can’t do anything to stop him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He's got a good frame though. I think him getting to 205-210 is possible.
right, no one's calling for him to turn into Eric Bledsoe physically or anything but him getting to a weight where he won't just get immediately bowled over on defense would be nice. It's not like his game is based on his ability to get around guys with his blinding speed anyways.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
After three meetings now I'm not impressed with this year's Clippers team. We beat ourselves in the fourth quarter. Guys are backpedaling on defense when they should be holding position. Barnes needs to take open looks when he has them. Buddy gets on a hot streak and wants every shot but after a couple misses we can't just let him shoot us out of the game. Especially not when we aren't getting stops. You get a stop, fine take your heat check but if you're taking the ball out of the net you need to run the offense and keep the score close. We've seen all this before. I feel bad for Tyrese. He looked really upset at the end of the game and I don't blame him. It must have felt like he was playing 1 on 5 out there.

Really? A player’s highlights on YouTube does not equal ripping a team’s defensive heart out. Ripping a team’s defensive heart out is scoring at will, in crunch time, when the opposing team knows he has the ball and they can’t do anything to stop him.
Fox did that several times last year. I share some of your concerns about Fox's game, but *that* he can do - and has done. Hella fun to watch too.

After three meetings now I'm not impressed with this year's Clippers team. We beat ourselves in the fourth quarter. Guys are backpedaling on defense when they should be holding position. Barnes needs to take open looks when he has them. Buddy gets on a hot streak and wants every shot but after a couple misses we can't just let him shoot us out of the game. Especially not when we aren't getting stops. You get a stop, fine take your heat check but if you're taking the ball out of the net you need to run the offense and keep the score close. We've seen all this before. I feel bad for Tyrese. He looked really upset at the end of the game and I don't blame him. It must have felt like he was playing 1 on 5 out there.
They're middling but with Kawhi, yeah, they'd be contending for sure this year with the Lakers being garbage.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Fox did that several times last year. I share some of your concerns about Fox's game, but *that* he can do - and has done. Hella fun to watch too.
There were at minimum two hot steaks off the top of my head last season where Fox was simply unbelievable. Just able to get to the rim at will, blinding speed, the opponents knew it was coming and couldn’t stop it. THAT player is a legit megastar. Two weeks every season doesn’t cut it though … sadly haven’t seen that guy at all this one.

Fox did that several times last year. I share some of your concerns about Fox's game, but *that* he can do - and has done.
He had a few games last year, but the data shows he’s below average as a clutch player. Beyond the stats, even when he converted in clutch situation, I never felt comfortable with his decision making.

hrdboild

Staff member
They're middling but with Kawhi, yeah, they'd be contending for sure this year with the Lakers being garbage.
Considering what happened the last time this guy was significantly injured -- (he disappeared on the Spurs for the entire season, didn't report even after the team's medical staff cleared him and his teammates begged him to, and then demanded a trade when Coach Pop started to get salty about it in his media seasons) -- I wouldn't expect him back any time soon.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Considering what happened the last time this guy was significantly injured -- (he disappeared on the Spurs for the entire season, didn't report even after the team's medical staff cleared him and his teammates begged him to, and then demanded a trade when Coach Pop started to get salty about it in his media seasons) -- I wouldn't expect him back any time soon.
My favorite part was when his handlers hid him in a hotel broom closet to avoid the Spurs medical staff.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There were at minimum two hot steaks off the top of my head last season where Fox was simply unbelievable. Just able to get to the rim at will, blinding speed, the opponents knew it was coming and couldn’t stop it.
Fox's ability to simply destroy an entire team's defensive game plan isn't really up for debate at this point. You can argue pretty much every single thing about him at this point but he's one of maybe 20 or so guys in the league who is capable of just annihilating teams though sheer athletic talent.

It's the question of whether a team can truly contend with him as their first option that seems to be driving this whole discussion but as far as I'm aware absolutely no one out here, not even his staunchest defender, is arguing that so the question then becomes whether you trade him and a bunch of the pieces around him to do a full reset, do a soft reset by sitting him for the season or something like the T-Wolves did with KAT the year they tanked and got Ant-Man, or try going for it now and move future assets and miscellaneous pieces to get that top option to pair with your second/third options in Fox and Haliburton.

If we're trying to win now by trading Fox, it has to be a first option. Period. But I don't see any of those guys available at the moment so that's why i'm saying we should hold on to him UNLESS we're aiming for a rebuild.

hrdboild

Staff member
He had a few games last year, but the data shows he’s below average as a clutch player. Beyond the stats, even when he converted in clutch situation, I never felt comfortable with his decision making.
Hmm. Perhaps we should trade Fox, tank this season, and then all get super hype about an 18 year old who just hung 39 points against a fellow top 5 prospect in this year's NCAA tournament eh?

The data doesn't say that though? Last season he was between KD and CP3 in clutch scoring.
And we have to see what Fox looks like without Walton. Last year was an anomaly where Walton shifted HIS gameplan whereas this year and the year prior to last year were eerily similar in the way he used Fox as a pseudo off guard.

Bad shooting with no rebounding = of course we lost again.
How the heck can we rebound when no bigs are ever around the hoop??? They're too busy out on perimeter giving hand offs, setting moving picks, or looking to jack a 3 with nothing left on clock.