[Game] Kings v. Timberwolves - 2/27/17 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

My granddaughters are 11 and almost 13. They've been going to Kings games since 2010. This was the first game they attended:

View attachment 6503

It was the RekeROY game against Toronto, the night Tyreke had his first career triple-double. They are basketball fanatics. They want to see good games, not scrimmages. They were very angry when IT left. That was nothing, however, to how they felt when Boogie was traded for "junk" as the older one remarked. They know all the players, they know the positions, they know the game. Until there is a chance we can go see a truly competitive game, G1C will not be part of our plans.
Oldest son is 16 now - he attended that game as well and still has the bobblehead (younger son was too young and can't get multiple tickets).
Both of them felt the same re: IT and know all the players and most of the rest of the NBA due to a phone app they collect players on.
They simply can;t understand why Vivek traded Demarcus, despite me trying to explain to them multiple times some of the factors.

I haven't even thought about whether I'll be able to (or bother with) going to future games with them, or if they'll want to now that Vivek has (again) thrown away the competitive future of this team.

That's depressing.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Been saying that since May 8, 2003.
Kings new ad campaign.

Scene: Arco Arena I, Spring 1986. The first-year-in-Sacramento Kings are annihilated by the twin tower Rockets in the first round of the playoffs.

Father to his son on the carried home: "Hold your head high son. Next year will be better."

CUT TO:

Golden 1 Center, winter 2017. The Sacramento Kings have just traded another superstar player for Steph Curry 7.0 and a couple of protected picks.

The son, now a hardened, wizened man, consoles his own son. "Hold your nose, son. Next year will be better."

Fade to purple.

"#CharacterMatters"

Kings new ad campaign.

Scene: Arco Arena I, Spring 1986. The first-year-in-Sacramento Kings are annihilated by the twin tower Rockets in the first round of the playoffs.

Father to his son on the carried home: "Hold your head high son. Next year will be better."

CUT TO:

Golden 1 Center, winter 2017. The Sacramento Kings have just traded another superstar player for Steph Curry 7.0 and a couple of protected picks.

The son, now a hardened, wizened man, consoles his own son. "Hold your nose, son. Next year will be better."

Fade to purple.

"#CharacterMatters"
#30wins #Sacramentoproud

You apparently have more faith in the front office ability to improve the team than I. I honestly hope with every fiber of my being that you are right and I am wrong. When people talk about getting a top draft pick and solving all our problems, I cannot help but think of Greg Oden...and then I'm even more depressed.
In doing people right? Nope, but then again I'm not privy to the whole story. In the draft? Provided that Vlade and his staff makes the pick, maybe. The jury is still out on WCS. But in this last draft that so far as shown itself to be a weak draft, Vlade appears to have hit on his final two picks and Papa remains to be seen. He was largely criticized for the last draft and other than Papa as shown the naysayers wrong. I will be more comfortable not after the draft order (provided we end with two picks in the lottery) but after draft day is over and I'm comfortable the Vivek hasn't Vivek'd the team again.

In doing people right? Nope, but then again I'm not privy to the whole story. In the draft? Provided that Vlade and his staff makes the pick, maybe. The jury is still out on WCS. But in this last draft that so far as shown itself to be a weak draft, Vlade appears to have hit on his final two picks and Papa remains to be seen. He was largely criticized for the last draft and other than Papa as shown the naysayers wrong. I will be more comfortable not after the draft order (provided we end with two picks in the lottery) but after draft day is over and I'm comfortable the Vivek hasn't Vivek'd the team again.
So far Vlade's luck has held out on the Philly trade, since no pick swap was done last season. This year he is really bucking the tiger hoping that Philly does not fall behind the Kings in the Lotto. Add to that hoping New Awlins does not draw picks 1,2 or 3.

Depending if the Kings finish in the bottom 10, No pick swap with Philly is done and the Pelicans pick is outside the top 3. The Kings are looking at possibly TWO top ten picks this year or NONE! I can't recall a NBA lottery so filled with extreme possibilities for the Kings.

So far Vlade's luck has held out on the Philly trade, since no pick swap was done last season. This year he is really bucking the tiger hoping that Philly does not fall behind the Kings in the Lotto. Add to that hoping New Awlins does not draw picks 1,2 or 3.

Depending if the Kings finish in the bottom 10, No pick swap with Philly is done and the Pelicans pick is outside the top 3. The Kings are looking at possibly TWO top ten picks this year or NONE! I can't recall a NBA lottery so filled with extreme possibilities for the Kings.
You're not kidding. I would feel a little better if NO were closer to the fourteenth pick rather than the third. I'm pretty confident that management has ensured that the Kings will keep their pick.

Oldest son is 16 now - he attended that game as well and still has the bobblehead (younger son was too young and can't get multiple tickets).
Both of them felt the same re: IT and know all the players and most of the rest of the NBA due to a phone app they collect players on.
They simply can;t understand why Vivek traded Demarcus, despite me trying to explain to them multiple times some of the factors.

I haven't even thought about whether I'll be able to (or bother with) going to future games with them, or if they'll want to now that Vivek has (again) thrown away the competitive future of this team.

That's depressing.
The real sad thing is what DMC's prospects appear to be in NO. He lost 30 million (at least) by not getting the mega Kings deal. Gentry is the wrong Coach for two dominant Bigs and will probably get fired. The Pels have DMC, Brow, Jrue and no other quality starting NBA talent. The Pels will need to trade someone to gain some assets. The Pels traded away their pick for this year and their pick from last year. Pels are 0 for so far post ASG:eek:

Let's not rewrite history too much here. Vlade was widely criticized last draft for picking Papa where he did. Not too many people had issues with trading down to get 3 first rounders and not many people had issue with Malachi and Skal picks. Malachi seemed a solid pick at 22 and everyone was saying that Skal was a steal at pick 28.

I have always said that if you flipped Papagiannis (pick28 instead of 13) and Skal (pick 13 instead of 28) and people by enlarge would not have much of an issue with the draft other than why the Kings didn't select a PG.

People were also questioning why select big guys when you have Cousins but its pretty clear that he planned on shipping Cousins out for a long time now.

Let's not rewrite history too much here. Vlade was widely criticized last draft for picking Papa where he did. Not too many people had issues with trading down to get 3 first rounders and not many people had issue with Malachi and Skal picks. Malachi seemed a solid pick at 22 and everyone was saying that Skal was a steal at pick 28.

I have always said that if you flipped Papagiannis (pick28 instead of 13) and Skal (pick 13 instead of 28) and people by enlarge would not have much of an issue with the draft other than why the Kings didn't select a PG.

People were also questioning why select big guys when you have Cousins but its pretty clear that he planned on shipping Cousins out for a long time now.
Are you saying that during the year, people weren't lamenting the fact our three draft picks were in the D-league while others were playing? I seem to recall not that he was criticized for trading down but who he picked with those picks. The longer they stayed down the louder the chorus. Provided he gets the two picks, he has to hit.

Are you saying that during the year, people weren't lamenting the fact our three draft picks were in the D-league while others were playing? I seem to recall not that he was criticized for trading down but who he picked with those picks. The longer they stayed down the louder the chorus. Provided he gets the two picks, he has to hit.
People were mostly complaining about why Malachi and Skal were not getting minutes at NBA level as both have been performing well in the D League.

People were mostly complaining about why Malachi and Skal were not getting minutes at NBA level as both have been performing well in the D League.
Let's just say selective reading memory rather than selective hearing. You were reading about people complaining that they weren't getting minutes. I was reading about the quality of the picks taken with the counter-argument that none of the other picks in that draft doing much (in terms of impact) despite playing time. Eye of the beholder. Either way, he may have stunk in handling the Cousins trade but he may not be that bad in player evaluations. And given what they've done, he better be better than not that bad in that department.