[Game] Kings v. Timberwolves - 2/27/17 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Game 3 of the "new era" for the Kings.

For some, there's hope. For some, there's resignation. For still others, there's that eternal feeling of "Why us? Why can't we have nice things?"

As has happened all too often during the years of being a Kings fan, emotions fluctuate like the tides in Fundy Bay. Extreme highs when the Kings do well, ranging to extreme lows or apathy when they don't.

I've said it before and I guess I'll just keep saying it - Being a Kings fan is not for the faint of heart.

#GoKings

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: I moved the posts about the trade to the "Evaluating the Cousins Trade" thread. Gonna try and get things back to where they should be. :)

We are almost to the point where we have to question Buddy/Skal/WCS not starting, if we at this point are more concerned about developing our youth and getting a possible good draft standing. Actually Skal/Buddy/WCS are better than Tolliver/Ben/Koufos now. But I don't take Joerger as a long view type..

I understand that for a few games, when we are just one or two out of the playoffs, or when we are easing these young guys into the rotation. But they should be starting in a few weeks

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I'm curious to see what coach does with the kids. I still expect to see the vets playing minutes as that playoff clock is not hit midnight yet for the Kings period but at this point I'm worried just didn't watching to see what Skal, Buddy and WCS can bring

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Our game 1 roster against GSW
  1. Collison / Ty / (Evans)
  2. Temple / Mclemore / Malachi
  3. Afflalo / (Malachi) / (Evans)
  4. Tolliver / Skal
  5. WCS / KK / George
On one hand I can't stop laughing but on the other the PO experience would be great for the seasoning of the younger players.
I'm confused. What does this have to do with the upcoming game against the TWolves?

At this point, I care less about wins, I just want the young guys to get some solid playing time.
I want Papa to play at least 15 mins (let him struggle and learn), Skal, Malachi and Buddy should play 20 mins minimum, every game. Make WCS our main C. KK, Tolliver and the rest should be under 20 or 15 min cap.

As has happened all too often during the years of being a Kings fan, emotions fluctuate like the tides in Fundy Bay. Extreme highs when the Kings do well, ranging to extreme lows or apathy when they don't.
Props for the obscure geographical reference -

Reminds me of............. didn't @Bricklayer include the Bay of Fundy in one of his awesome postgame Grade Threads years ago?

I loved reading those, more for the obscure references and knowledge he would drop (presumable from voluminous research, unless he's got a photographic memory).

Helped get me through some of those rough seasons, as you rightly point out were not for the faint of heart.

We are almost to the point where we have to question Buddy/Skal/WCS not starting, if we at this point are more concerned about developing our youth and getting a possible good draft standing. Actually Skal/Buddy/WCS are better than Tolliver/Ben/Koufos now. But I don't take Joerger as a long view type..

I understand that for a few games, when we are just one or two out of the playoffs, or when we are easing these young guys into the rotation. But they should be starting in a few weeks
You start the Vets then bring in the young guys early. Willie has been coming in at the six minute mark of the first quarter which is an early substitution. The young players can get the majority of minutes even if they are not the "Starters".

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I expect Willie to take thaat horrible outing he had last game personally. I feel Skal will come and compete again as well, knowing he will be going against a very good frontcourt of Towns/Wiggins/Aldrich/Jordan Hill/Dieng.

Guards should be able to dribble easier this game.

Shabazz won't be able to post up Tyreke.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I am also hoping these last few games with the green light to Ben inspires him to be the player we knew he could become. Ben Shuttlesworth

I don't mind the rooks seeing limited minutes. Especially Skal he actually does not have a lot of experience playing organized basketball. He was a late bloomer and missed his Junior year of HS ball. He needs to be brought along slowly to develop him properly in my humble opinion.

Hopefully we can stay competitive tonight without the big fella, gonna feel extra weird tonight, he used to eat the twolves up. Need collison to play like a premier scorer or we'll get blown out.

Side note, any updates on Malachi or Garrett? Miss watchin the Temple of Doom on D

We need to lose this one too. Drop us further into keeping our pick away from CHI, and gets Minnesota closer to leaping us. We need these two top 10 picks this year.
Our lack of talent will normalize our record. We won't win more then 29 games. We should be fine. But yes if we can pick 6 and 9 this year we are in position to draft an excellent SF and PG prospect in that range.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
WCS, Skal and Buddy have got to play more. And I'd rather have Lawson play more also. Watching Tyreke and Collison play in the Hornet game was absolutely painful, like watching robots paint by the numbers. Both of those guys have microprocessors that are incredibly slow and deliberate. Having Tyreke try to dribble from the 3 point line all the way to the basket in a set-up half court situation felt like a dream of yesteryear with the same result - miss or swatted by the opponent. This team badly needs a new group of point guards.

A fan has got to do
what a fan has got to do...

I_want_you_SAC_Kings_ICON.jpg
Predictions are ON for Kings game #60:
At G1C vs the T-Wolves, Monday, 2/27, 7:30PM

Predictions are accepted HERE until tip-off (in about 5.5 hours).
Just follow the link to the thread, and post the exact game result.

Prediction game stats:
A kind reminder to some last (or lost) regular predictors:
In RED: Suspected or known victims of THE TRADE.

List of all predictors in order of appearance:
And to you, prediction virgins... :D It's never too late to start...
@carmichaeldave, @Mr. S£im Citrus, @Warhawk, @6th, @9x1x6, @AL/kfan, @Albatros, @allrightthen, @Amit149, @andjel, @Arkitect, @arusinov, @BamBam52, @Bibby10AZ, @Big Cuz 15, @biltalent, @BLNINJA #81, @Boogie_Fever, @Bruiser62906, @bsegers, @Castasic, @Chicken Chaser, @Chubbs, @Crabwalk, @CuzistanKing, @Darr_Vader, @datamanwes, @DC222, @Deb M @deki, @DesertFox, @Dime Dropper, @Double-K, @dude12, @east_sac, @EJF, @Elise10, @ElRey, @Entity, @ESP47, @fansinceday1 @Fannie Dwest, @Flopi, @ForlornKing, @funkykingston, @giantking1355, @Gilles, @glassman , @Gliesian, @GoSACtown, @Gtronic, @Hansel, @Heuge, @HereWeBoogie, @HighFlyingMonkey, @HndsmCelt, @Hoovtrain, @Howard, @hrdboild, @Iced Espresso, @IfAt1st, @ikon_zero, @itzcoatl, @jcassio, @jcwkings, @Jeremy Fraser, @Jimbob, @Jkbiker, @John Galt, @Jora Wala, @Joshoua, @k_dubb90, @kennadog, @King in England, @kingdivac , @KingMilz, @KingsCitizen, @kingsfan1984, @KingsFan80, @Kingsfan91, @KingsFanGER, @Kingsfan_GER , @Kingsroots, @Lammy, @Larry89, @Livinthedream, @Lopes, @LPKingsFan,@mac, @macadocious, @Mass, @MassachusettsKingsFan, @Merdiesel, @miltonap, @MizzouKing, @nebs, @nofun, @One and Done,@OnYouLikeGlue, @OptimusRhyme, @Oscar, @Padrino, @pdizo916, @pdxKingsFan, @piksi, @ppine, @pshn80, @R2D2, @rainmaker, @randymoss1881, @RaY Z, @Revrag, @roasthawg, @RX-8, @Sac.1989, @Sac.Kings, @SacKings384, @sactownfan, @SacTownGrantFan, @SacTownKid, @Sam0ah, @SCKingsfan, @sdballer, @ShastaKingsFan, @Section 101, @sidney, @Siranthony, @slashing4, @Sluggah, @speedwagon, @spok22s, @steelevt, @swisshh, @TaxMan, @The Effort Police, @The_Jamal, @TruckeeKingsFan, @twslam07, @Tyndel, @upinsmoke, @White_Chocolate, @whoopdeedoo, @whozit and @Woogie.

Last edited:
Tonight's game will go a long way in determining if we should Tank or go hard for the Playoffs.

A Win tonight, we are only 1/2 game out of the playoffs. I don't see Coach letting up on the drive for the playoffs, if we win.

A Loss tonight, and reality needs to set in soon and Coach Joeger needs to start playing the rookies extended minutes the rest of the season.

Game 3 of the "new era" for the Kings.

For some, there's hope. For some, there's resignation. For still others, there's that eternal feeling of "Why us? Why can't we have nice things?"

I've said it before and I guess I'll just keep saying it - Being a Kings fan is not for the faint of heart.

#GoKings
Kings games were the only thing keeping me from canceling cable and just having internet. So I called the provider to cancel and they made me a sweetheart deal to stay and even did it with the ability to cancel at any time. As upset as I've been, I was actually relieved that I can still watch games if I choose to.

There's actually something a bit liberating about being okay with the team winning or losing and the fun of getting to watch the young guys get real minutes.

Maybe it's just years of conditioning from being a Kings fan or just not being as emotionally invested or something else, but I really enjoyed watching the Nuggets game and when the Hornets game got out of hand I turned it off without being upset.

I guess it's a bit of a weird time for me as a Kings fan, but not in an entirely bad way.

I don't think Joerger should start the youngsters. What he's done all season long is make them earn minutes. Malachi was the first of the three rookies to break through and I think that means a lot more to a young player than just being handed PT. Now Skal is getting his floor time because the cupboard is bare at PF, but you can tell he's been working with the coaching staff and putting in work in Reno this season.

If one of them EARNS a starting role by being the best option then fine. But until then, you want to have that carrot to encourage continuing work ethic and playing the right way.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Kings games were the only thing keeping me from canceling cable and just having internet. So I called the provider to cancel and they made me a sweetheart deal to stay and even did it with the ability to cancel at any time. As upset as I've been, I was actually relieved that I can still watch games if I choose to.

There's actually something a bit liberating about being okay with the team winning or losing and the fun of getting to watch the young guys get real minutes.

Maybe it's just years of conditioning from being a Kings fan or just not being as emotionally invested or something else, but I really enjoyed watching the Nuggets game and when the Hornets game got out of hand I turned it off without being upset.

I guess it's a bit of a weird time for me as a Kings fan, but not in an entirely bad way.

It is easy to not have expectations when we have not been relevant for 11 years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think Joerger should start the youngsters. What he's done all season long is make them earn minutes. Malachi was the first of the three rookies to break through and I think that means a lot more to a young player than just being handed PT. Now Skal is getting his floor time because the cupboard is bare at PF, but you can tell he's been working with the coaching staff and putting in work in Reno this season.

If one of them EARNS a starting role by being the best option then fine. But until then, you want to have that carrot to encourage continuing work ethic and playing the right way.
I couldn't possibly agree more. Something means more if you have to work for it and earn it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think we should be doing anything but playing the young fellas.

Win or lose.

Of course Joerger is going to try and win games and mix the young fellas in when/where he can.
And again, I think the young players need to earn their minutes and not just be thrust out there for experience. I like the way the Kings have, thus far, utilized the Bighorns to give the kids at least a bit of "minor league" exposure before just tossing them in to the deep end. I like Joerger's approach.