[Grades] Kings v. Jazz (#1) 10/17/2018

Goat o' the Game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yogi, Bjelica and Shumpert bring some attitude with them. That is important. Give me some Koufus mext time.
These guys are helping to form the Kings identity.
Ehhhh. I’m a fan of Kosta, but much rather he gets traded than eating minutes in an already over crowded PF/C rotation. I’m confident both Bagley and Giles both already have a hard working, tough attitude that will translate over time.

I have been promoting the 2 bigs 3 guard lineup approach. This is how they started the game and it worked. Then they went 2 bigs and SF with Jackson and it did not work. Offensive changed entirely.

Good opener, all things considered.

Fox is dripping with potential and had a strong game. I expect he'll put up around 16/6/3/1 this season.

Bjelica was very good and showed he probably should have had a bigger role last year. He knows how to play and is skilled.

I don't think Justin Jackson is ever going to be more than a meh bench player. He doesn't contribute anything is his shot isn't falling. Like nothing. You can't be a good player in the league if you're that way inclined unless you're a true scorer, and he's not that either. I didn't like the pick at the time and like it even less now. He's a good kid though, hopefully he proves me wrong.

Harry and Marvin both need to get much better defensively. The potential is there but they missed multiple assignments.

WCS had an excellent game and could have a big year. I don't get the hate for him on this forum. I especially don't like that some people have a problem with him having interests outside of basketball, as if that means he doesn't care. Dude is a human, he's allowed to have multiple interests. It's his life, he's not just part of a video game. If he has a good year we have to pay him, we cannot continue to let talent walk.

Shump had the same problem he's always had, which is he thinks he's better offensively than he is. Solid defense but very poor shot selection. I'm not really a fan.

Yogi was good off the bench. Like his tenacity.

I think that's about it. Some stuff to like, but some avoidable mistakes which is always going to be a problem for a young team. Overall I think we're in for a long season, I will be surprised if we win more than 25 games, but there will be some fun along the way. Hopefully we see a lot of growth in our young guys by the end of the season, to give us more hope for next year.

Jazz could emerge as a nice villain team along with Warriors and Lakers. I'm kinda starting to hate them. I hate the skinny pants coach, I hate the crybaby Crowder, and I hate the flabby old Ingles.

It's a start.
Comparing Utah to GSW/LA should be a bannable offense my friend. Those 2 teams represent everything that’s wrong in sports especially GSW. KD talking crap when he ran to a 73-9 team come on, that ***** Draymound not getting thrown out of every game.

Gonna go watch the game now though

Comparing Utah to GSW/LA should be a bannable offense my friend. Those 2 teams represent everything that’s wrong in sports especially GSW. KD talking crap when he ran to a 73-9 team come on, that ***** Draymound not getting thrown out of every game.

I have to agree with you here. Utah represents everything right in sports, still recon you don't have to like them. Small market, solid fans, draft extremely well and build their team honestly. Even Stockton and Malone, two players many people hated, were not picked early in their drafts but damn was it fun watching our upcoming late 90's team battle it out with them.

Answer; Easily Shumpert. I never want to see him play again. Seems like a good enough guy, but his absolute void of offense isn’t worth his pesky defense. And he is what he is at this point.
Shumpert is essentially Temple if Temple was twice the black hole. And I think Temple's pretty trigger happy as is.

Unless it comes with All-Defense level defense (which Shumpert is not) I just don't care about offense-less wings. Playing defense and hustling and doing nothing else is something you hear about a D-league guy on a two-way, but at least that D-league guy isn't going to chuck up trash every time he touches the ball on O.

Shumpert is essentially Temple if Temple was twice the black hole. And I think Temple's pretty trigger happy as is.

Unless it comes with All-Defense level defense (which Shumpert is not) I just don't care about offense-less wings. Playing defense and hustling and doing nothing else is something you hear about a D-league guy on a two-way, but at least that D-league guy isn't going to chuck up trash every time he touches the ball on O.
Your username is really cool. Would actually be a creative thread name to post how players did strictly effort wise. Maybe on a numerical scale of 1-10 or something.

But yeah just thought I should say that .

Shump had me screaming at TV. Id rather Bjelly get more mins at the 3 with bagley at the 4. Bjelly smart enought to not get wasted o def. All he needs to do is not give upbwide open 3s. Make them drive into wcs and bagley for a hard closeout.

you might be younger than me. when I came to the Kings was about 1998 and the Jazz were top villain with Lakers. They were in our way. They got away with cheating galore (Stockton/Malone). They played dirty.

The Warriors were nothing... Jazz and Lakers were the villains then.

I'd like to see a rotation like the one below when Bogdan is back.

PG - Fox (34 min) / Ferrell (14 min)
SG - Hield (30 min) / Ferrell (12 min) / Bogdan (6 min)
SF - Bogdan (24 min) / Jackson (12 min) / Bjelica (12 min)
PF - Bjelica (14 min) / Giles (26 min) / Bagley (8 min)
C - Cauley-Stein (30 min) / Bagley (18 min)

Fox - 34 min
Hield - 30 min
Bogdanovic - 30 min
Cauley-Stein - 30 min
Ferrell - 26 min
Bjelica - 26 min
Giles - 26 min
Bagley - 26 min
Jackson - 12 min

I think that makes for a really high energy, active bench (Ferrell, Giles, & Bagley) who will be outworking their opponents on a routine basis.

Then in the starting unit, you have three 40% three point shooters on the floor in Hield, Bogdan, & Bjelica to help open up the floor for Fox. You also have guys 1-5 who can make a good pass and find the open man.

you might be younger than me. when I came to the Kings was about 1998 and the Jazz were top villain with Lakers. They were in our way. They got away with cheating galore (Stockton/Malone). They played dirty.

The Warriors were nothing... Jazz and Lakers were the villains then.
I've lived in Sacramento a very long time. I never remember the Jazz being villains.

Couple observations from last night.

First off, I was at the game against the Jazz last week as well and will say this... what an incredible turn around! If Bogey is out there last night, we're winning that game. Loved the effort. Not only did we come out the gates fired up with a 9 to 0 start, we started the 2nd half competing as well.

Bjelica had a fantastic debut in a Kings uni. He plays surprisingly with some toughness. Might not be the best defender but he gets in there and is not afraid to disrupt a little bit in the paint. Smooth shot and has some very nice fundamentals. I think we're going to like this guy.

Jackson had a nice little start to the game, but man, will this guy ever knock down an open 3? His confidence from beyond the arc seems to be completely gone. Poor guy better start knocking those unguarded shots down or he'll find himself out of the league sooner rather than later.

Fox needs more ISO. Good things will happen when he attacks and puts his defender on skates. Great game by the kid.

Hield also looked very solid. Kept us in the game towards the end with those floaters. He's gotta cut back on the stupid turnovers though.

WCS had probably the most important performance of the night. Did he take that *** whoopin' from the other personal? Sure seemed that way to me. Hell of a game Willie.

Mason should have played 5 less minutes.

Shumpert brings some toughness and not much else. He needs about the same amount of minutes as Z-Bo.

Mason, Ferrell, Hield, Jackson and Shumpert had a combined THREE assists.

On the other side the ball. I'm sure people can't stand the guy but I love watching Joe Ingles play. He might be my favorite non King in the league right now. Dude competes.

All in all, if this team plays like this every night, I'll reconsider my position on renewing my tix for next year. Go Kings.

As I said in the game thread, no it wasn't.

The Kings were +16 in 2 pt FG's made by both teams. The JAZZ only made up +6 on 3 pt FG's made by both teams. So the Kings were still +10 counting all FG's.

The difference in the game was at the FT line where UTAH was +16. Some of those attempts occurred in the final minute when the Kings fouled to extend, but the damage was already done before that.

Judging from the tone of your post, it sounds as if you felt like me that UTAH was helped out a bit by the officials. I thought they allowed the JAZZ to bump, grab and hold a lot more than they allowed the KINGS to do it. Consequently they got bailed out more often and the disparity in FTA's bear that out.
I was going to go back and edit that afterward and clarify it but I got lazy.

The Kings shot a really high percentage from 2 last night and we know that's not going to happen all that often. On the other hand, the Kings almost always shoot well from 3. Those attempts need to go up and the attempts from 2 in the mid range need to go down in order for this team to be successful in the long run. Last night they kept the game close by shooting abnormally well from inside the arc but that can't be counted on on a game by game basis because it won't support winning basketball in the future. But yeah you're right, the massive difference in free throws last night was the difference in the game.

I absolutely thought the officiating was pro Jazz. Remember Buddy's foul on Donovan Mitchell? The refs just react to players acting out there. If the ref doesn't see the foul, then don't blow the whistle when these guys flail all around because they aren't playing basketball, they're just pretending to get fouled any time they screw up or feel someone touch them. I really don't like where the NBA is headed with all these rules to call even more ticky tack fouls. They just keep giving the officials more and more power to sway the games the way they want them to be swayed. I'm not saying that was exactly what was happening last night but it does give the officials the chance to "2002 Western Conference Finals" a team in the playoffs that the NBA doesn't deem good for business.

I absolutely thought the officiating was pro Jazz. Remember Buddy's foul on Donovan Mitchell? The refs just react to players acting out there. If the ref doesn't see the foul, then don't blow the whistle when these guys flail all around because they aren't playing basketball, they're just pretending to get fouled any time they screw up or feel someone touch them. I really don't like where the NBA is headed with all these rules to call even more ticky tack fouls. They just keep giving the officials more and more power to sway the games the way they want them to be swayed. I'm not saying that was exactly what was happening last night but it does give the officials the chance to "2002 Western Conference Finals" a team in the playoffs that the NBA doesn't deem good for business.
One good example off the top of my head was Willie’s 2 handed alley oop dunk. Gobert clearly hit him in the face, but no foul was called. Yet when Donovan Mitchell initiates contact with Willie by jumping into him, a foul is called once he didn’t convert.

I thought Doug Christie made a good point that when a player does what Mitchell did, they open themselves up for some contact. It should have been a no call, especially if they aren’t going to give Willie the call on the other end against Gobert (who hits people all the time).

BTW, I was so glad to see Willie expose Gobert with his quickness and speed. He should be able to do that every time they play.

Last edited:
Good opener, all things considered.

Fox is dripping with potential and had a strong game. I expect he'll put up around 16/6/3/1 this season.

Bjelica was very good and showed he probably should have had a bigger role last year. He knows how to play and is skilled.

I don't think Justin Jackson is ever going to be more than a meh bench player. He doesn't contribute anything is his shot isn't falling. Like nothing. You can't be a good player in the league if you're that way inclined unless you're a true scorer, and he's not that either. I didn't like the pick at the time and like it even less now. He's a good kid though, hopefully he proves me wrong.

Harry and Marvin both need to get much better defensively. The potential is there but they missed multiple assignments.

WCS had an excellent game and could have a big year. I don't get the hate for him on this forum. I especially don't like that some people have a problem with him having interests outside of basketball, as if that means he doesn't care. Dude is a human, he's allowed to have multiple interests. It's his life, he's not just part of a video game. If he has a good year we have to pay him, we cannot continue to let talent walk.

Shump had the same problem he's always had, which is he thinks he's better offensively than he is. Solid defense but very poor shot selection. I'm not really a fan.

Yogi was good off the bench. Like his tenacity.

I think that's about it. Some stuff to like, but some avoidable mistakes which is always going to be a problem for a young team. Overall I think we're in for a long season, I will be surprised if we win more than 25 games, but there will be some fun along the way. Hopefully we see a lot of growth in our young guys by the end of the season, to give us more hope for next year.
This is becoming a massive problem. With young guys, you can excuse poor play if they're showing just about anything on the court. "Oh, he's bad on offense right now, but he brings it every night on the defensive end and crashes the glass." Something along those lines.

But with JJ, we're just getting an absolute nothing from him if he doesn't shoot 7-12. No energy, no rebounding, no defense, no playmaking. And he'd be usable if he were a lights out 40% 3pt shooter, but he isn't.

Villains are Kings season ticket holders selling their opening night tickets to Jazz fans.
I see what you did there.

I was sitting in other seats with my wife. I could not find a Kings fan willing to pay even half price. at 10 minutes till tipoff they were unsold and available to any Kings fan with a computer to buy for under a hundred bucks each.

Somebody finally bought them on Seatgeek at 6:58PM for $92 bucks apiece. I think dynamic face value was about $275... I didn't know it was a Jazz fan. It took desperation to get them sold at all.

Kings tickets are grossly overpriced... some games I'm gonna have to take what I can get when I have double-sets. I'm sorry.

I see what you did there.

I was sitting in other seats with my wife. I could not find a Kings fan willing to pay even half price. at 10 minutes till tipoff they were unsold and available to any Kings fan with a computer to buy for under a hundred bucks each.

Somebody finally bought them on Seatgeek at 6:58PM for $92 bucks apiece. I think dynamic face value was about $275... I didn't know it was a Jazz fan. It took desperation to get them sold at all.

Kings tickets are grossly overpriced... some games I'm gonna have to take what I can get when I have double-sets. I'm sorry.
Ouch! It was a young couple with a baby. So at least a good cause.

Cut Bmac or ZBo and sign Weyen full contract already. Brings so mych more positive impact than JJ or Shump. Ridiculous he is on a 2 way while we have Bmac and a forbidden to be played ZBo on the roster.
Vlade ad Co. that desperate for JJ to not be a bust that they want to hide away wenyen whose clearly played better?

Conspiracy?

Fox needs to be more aggresive.
Buddy needs to be shooting 10 3s a game.
If Fox had been more agressive, he would have needed new shoes by the 4th quarter.
And Buddy wasn't hitting his 3's. Maybe if he had taken more of them, he would have made more of them. But he also could have put us down by 20 if he had taken and missed 4 3-pointers rather than making 2 of 4 mid-range shots (which kept us close).