[Game] Kings v. Hornets - Tuesday, Jan. 2 - 7 PT

Skal nice numbers....to bad he's horrid defensively. Him and Zbo together on the court guarantees a big scoring night for the other team.
The one thing I thought we were supposed to expect from a Dave Joerger coached team was effort on D. We're not seeing that at all. That's not a good sign at all especially for such a young team. It's one thing for the offensive to suffer, but there should at least be consistent effort on the defensive end.

gunks

Hall of Famer
The one thing I thought we were supposed to expect from a Dave Joerger coached team was effort on D. We're not seeing that at all. That's not a good sign at all especially for such a young team. It's one thing for the offensive to suffer, but there should at least be consistent effort on the defensive end.
I'd reckon the defense suffers from a combination of a lack of experience on the roster and a lack of familiarity between players due to Joerger's rotations.

It doesn't help that we don't have a lot of natural defenders on the roster either. Temple, Bogs, WCS when he feels like it....

While I also critize Joerger, the one thing you really can't say is that the effort is low. Yes, the defensive is bad, but even tonight the effort was not terrible. If you want to see real low defensive effort turn on some Pelicans games and watch how Rondo and Cousins defend pick and rolls :)

Fox finished the game strong. It was garbage time, but we need to see this aggressive Fox at beginning of the game too. Buddy's defense is just so..bad. I'm a big fan of his potential on offense, but I would not be looking forward to see that defense 30mins a night. Just wasn't laterally gifted at all.

Defense was putrid. Skal ended up with 17pts 15rebs. Needs to continually build up that confidence of his. Defense? I'm having a hard time seeing Buddy and Skal ever as average NBA defenders.

Expecting consistency at anything with a young team is just wishful thinking. Young teams are consistently inconsistent at everything. It’s part and parcel of growth.

Just a weird game overall. Bad defense mixed with crazy lucky shots by the Hornets. That And 1 for Howard? Kaminsky's fadeaway and running floater? O'Bryant touching the bottom of the net on nearly every shot? MKG making all his midrange shots?

The Kings played bad defense but the Hornets were extremely lucky on top of that. Should have been a 10pt game. Glad to see Skal played well.

I was really hoping to see Fox off the bench last night so I could see him get some non ZBo time on the court. It didn't happen until the very end and he played much better without him but he was also going against the guys on the end of the bench so it wasn't a great test. Either way he played more like Kentucky Fox rather than "Watch another guy score in the post so you can learn how to win" Fox.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Typical Kangz.

I think when Joerger and Vlade talked about being on the same page, what they meant is that they agreed to lie to the media about being on the same page.

As far as vets vs youth. Rebuild vs playoffs..... who knows.
why sign Joerger to an extension then if they weren't on the same page?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Skal nice numbers....to bad he's horrid defensively. Him and Zbo together on the court guarantees a big scoring night for the other team.
slow-bo on the court guarantees easy scoring every game...not just this one. He can get you some buckets but on the other end he will do more harm than good. It's a young mans league now, his playing time should be strictly as a bench scorer.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Fox did something more in this game than I've seen him do in any game this year - keep his dribble, especially in traffic. This could be another step up in his development.

Skal looked pretty confident on offense, but I still want to see him turn around, rip, and go, rather than try to back his man up using the dribble. More improvement needed on D.
The most frustrating thing with Skal is when he gets the ball, he pauses for a few seconds before making a move rather than doing what you said and just get the ball and make your move quickly.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Fox finished the game strong. It was garbage time, but we need to see this aggressive Fox at beginning of the game too. Buddy's defense is just so..bad. I'm a big fan of his potential on offense, but I would not be looking forward to see that defense 30mins a night. Just wasn't laterally gifted at all.

Defense was putrid. Skal ended up with 17pts 15rebs. Needs to continually build up that confidence of his. Defense? I'm having a hard time seeing Buddy and Skal ever as average NBA defenders.
Buddy at least seems to exert effort and has put noticeable work into his defensive game since coming into the league (physical limitations not withstanding). Skal, on the other hand, has looked putrid on D aside from the occasion highlight block that was largely the product of him missing his own assignment and having to scramble to cover for it). I'm all for giving Skal time but I'm pretty sure Joerger is completely justified in not just handing him thirty minutes a night when it looks like Skal is trying to defend while drunk on rum all night.

The Kings haven't played defense since they beat Cleveland. The defense last night was terrible. They gave up 72 at the half and 131 to a mediocre Hornets team on their home floor. The Kings are the kind of team that other teams set scoring records against, personal bests and the best 3 point shooting game they have ever had.

How many blocks did we get, how many charges did we take, how many hard fouls? Close to zero. The Kings are lackadasical on defense and play soft. We know they are capable of playing defense because every once in awhile they do a great job. Kayte C pointed it out very succinctly when she said something like "if I was on the floor I would commit some hard fouls and make the other defense less anxious to come down and try that again." Doug talked about the same thing. They give up uncontested shots from the 3 and watch the other team make layups.

The Kings are rebounding better, their offense is on track, but without team defense you cannot win in the NBA.

The Kings haven't played defense since they beat Cleveland. The defense last night was terrible. They gave up 72 at the half and 131 to a mediocre Hornets team on their home floor. The Kings are the kind of team that other teams set scoring records against, personal bests and the best 3 point shooting game they have ever had.

How many blocks did we get, how many charges did we take, how many hard fouls? Close to zero. The Kings are lackadasical on defense and play soft. We know they are capable of playing defense because every once in awhile they do a great job. Kayte C pointed it out very succinctly when she said something like "if I was on the floor I would commit some hard fouls and make the other defense less anxious to come down and try that again." Doug talked about the same thing. They give up uncontested shots from the 3 and watch the other team make layups.

The Kings are rebounding better, their offense is on track, but without team defense you cannot win in the NBA.
Problem is, how many hard asses are on the Kings roster?

PapaG has no problem being a hard ass but he's the worst player on the roster at the moment so he's not going to see the floor much. ZBo can be but he seems to be buddy buddy with everyone in the league. Bogie seems to be a really nice guy but he can be a pest on defense, which is nice. Koufos has average big man toughness. Frank Mason is tough but he certainly isn't going to intimidate anyone out there due to his size. There are just no hard foul guys on this team.

The Kings wanted to build culture so they brought in a lot of nice guys that get along. With that, you're going to be a bit more void of the toughness that some of the other teams have.

Buddy at least seems to exert effort and has put noticeable work into his defensive game since coming into the league (physical limitations not withstanding). Skal, on the other hand, has looked putrid on D aside from the occasion highlight block that was largely the product of him missing his own assignment and having to scramble to cover for it). I'm all for giving Skal time but I'm pretty sure Joerger is completely justified in not just handing him thirty minutes a night when it looks like Skal is trying to defend while drunk on rum all night.

He was showing improvement earlier in the year before really hitting the pine. And I'm sorry, anyone who gives their reasoning as to why Skal can't play being because of his defense and in contrast plays Zach Randolph at center has lost his mind. :p Or is making excuses.

The idea is that "handing" someone more time on the floor gives them an opportunity to improve and gain experience. This is the time when you do it as a franchise because whether they like it or not winning and losing doesn't factor in much because the reality is winning is going to come at random intervals regardless of what they do, or who they play. If anything Joerger probably gives himself a better shot at winning with the young guys considering the bulk of the Kings real talent is in 1st or 2nd year players. The Kings are facing a talent deficit almost every night depending on who they play or don't play. He's trading off polish for talent level and it's a lose lose kind of thing.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The most frustrating thing with Skal is when he gets the ball, he pauses for a few seconds before making a move rather than doing what you said and just get the ball and make your move quickly.
Against Phoenix, on Skal's first possession he turned, ripped, and went hard to the basket against Chandler and scored. He has it in him. It just has to grow.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Last night Coz, Katie and Christie were talking about how soft the Kings were. They asked the question: Who on the Kings could you see doing the hard foul? Zach's name came up, but after that it was a maybe on Temple and then they had nothing. The lack of physicallity also came up. Kings are too kind to their "friends" on the opposing team. Don't take the game seriously enough. I'd like to see more hard fouls and less hugging of the opposition. I think Joerger would too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Last night Coz, Katie and Christie were talking about how soft the Kings were. They asked the question: Who on the Kings could you see doing the hard foul? Zach's name came up, but after that it was a maybe on Temple and then they had nothing. The lack of physicallity also came up. Kings are too kind to their "friends" on the opposing team. Don't take the game seriously enough. I'd like to see more hard fouls and less hugging of the opposition. I think Joerger would too.
I don't think they are lying. The Kings are paper tissue soft and some of that is their bodies haven't filled out so they can't take the beatings. The other aspect of it is having some pride and loathing your enemy and being friends when the buzzer sounds. No killer instinct at this time. It's very frustrating to watch.

We Fans know what we are not seeing the Kings Players do. I think Pop said it best:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
PapaG will wail on someone. He may get beaten 8 of 10 times on D, but he'll lay a clothesline on someone.

At this point what does t even matter? PapaG doesn't play we lose by 20. He plays, we may lose by a little more. Who cares. Let's see what we have.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He was showing improvement earlier in the year before really hitting the pine. And I'm sorry, anyone who gives their reasoning as to why Skal can't play being because of his defense and in contrast plays Zach Randolph at center has lost his mind. :p Or is making excuses.

The idea is that "handing" someone more time on the floor gives them an opportunity to improve and gain experience. This is the time when you do it as a franchise because whether they like it or not winning and losing doesn't factor in much because the reality is winning is going to come at random intervals regardless of what they do, or who they play. If anything Joerger probably gives himself a better shot at winning with the young guys considering the bulk of the Kings real talent is in 1st or 2nd year players. The Kings are facing a talent deficit almost every night depending on who they play or don't play. He's trading off polish for talent level and it's a lose lose kind of thing.
That can work with certain types of young rookies (Boogie, Mitchell, etc) but can also wreak havoc on some of the weaker minded young ones (B-Mac, Jimmer, T-Rob, pretty much everyone we've drafted in the last 15 years not named Reke, Boogie, or IT).

That can work with certain types of young rookies (Boogie, Mitchell, etc) but can also wreak havoc on some of the weaker minded young ones (B-Mac, Jimmer, T-Rob, pretty much everyone we've drafted in the last 15 years not named Reke, Boogie, or IT).
I don't think their failures have anything to do with their mental state. They were just bad players. Jimmer and TRob were tweeners. Other than one year under Malone, McLemore never got much better than he was when he came out of college. I don't blame their lack of success on the way they were developed. They just aren't very good. McLemore would maybe have a chance at being average if lets say the Spurs drafted him instead.

Most of them only had one skill. Jimmer could shoot. TRob could rebound. McLemore could jump high and shoot at an average level. That's it for those guys. Nearly everything else they did was and still is a net negative.

Most of the young players we have right now show a lot more promise than those guys did. I wouldn't mind handing the keys over to a few of them to see what they can do.