[Game] Kings v. Hornets - Tuesday, Jan. 2 - 7 PT

Basketball is a mental game more than most others and the NBA season is extremely long at 82 games. It takes concentration and desire night after night to be successful. We can agree that the Kings play soft and lack desire much of the time. It is not written somewhere that nice guys can't learn to play "nasty" as Pop calls it. There is a fine line between desire and playing out of control. Cousins is an example of a player with a great amount of desire, but poor control. The Kings need to play hard, especially on defense. They have been underachievers lately.

The cat is out of the bag. The Kings have proved they are capable of playing pretty good defense for a whole game. Lately they haven't. They need to own up to it and do something about it.

Boston held Cleveland to around 85 points last night. That is quite a contrast to the Kings giving up 131 to an average Charlotte team.

Basketball is a mental game more than most others and the NBA season is extremely long at 82 games. It takes concentration and desire night after night to be successful. We can agree that the Kings play soft and lack desire much of the time. It is not written somewhere that nice guys can't learn to play "nasty" as Pop calls it. There is a fine line between desire and playing out of control. Cousins is an example of a player with a great amount of desire, but poor control. The Kings need to play hard, especially on defense. They have been underachievers lately.

The cat is out of the bag. The Kings have proved they are capable of playing pretty good defense for a whole game. Lately they haven't. They need to own up to it and do something about it.

Boston held Cleveland to around 85 points last night. That is quite a contrast to the Kings giving up 131 to an average Charlotte team.
I watched part of the Mavs vs. GSW last night. There was one play where Jordan Bell put a little shoulder into Devin Harris that exemplifies what we seldom see from the Kings. Not a dirty play just a little reminder that "I'm here in the paint, feel this."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, I watched this game...until I fell asleep right about the end of the first quarter. Luckily for me, I didn't wake back up until the post-mortem.

These games are getting tough to watch, not because we're losing but because we're playing like we forgot the objective of the game. Horrible decisions, brain farts beyond belief, a total lack of focus and communication...I could go on, but we all know what we're most unhappy about.

It's still a good time to be a Kings fan, but it's getting harder to watch the games. Not because I don't tune in, but because I find myself nodding off. :p

Cooley and Jakarr are the kind of players the Kings need right now. They bring the intensity and physicality. Not the most skilled guys around but you can count on their try and nasty.
The Kings used to have Cousins, Acy and some other guys. Now they have no one on their regular roster. Randolph is a great position player but he manages to not be very physical about it.

We have talked about this before. I grew up playing other kids for money. By the time we got to high school and industrial leagues, we had lots of attitude and nasty. We called it "going to war." I would love to hear a Kings player miked up for a game and hear the trash talking that goes on with really big full grown men. The weak do not survive. This goes to the heart of what is wrong with the Kings' play of late.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I watched part of the Mavs vs. GSW last night. There was one play where Jordan Bell put a little shoulder into Devin Harris that exemplifies what we seldom see from the Kings. Not a dirty play just a little reminder that "I'm here in the paint, feel this."

whats it say about the team when one of your most physical players on the team is a second year player out of Greece?

That can work with certain types of young rookies (Boogie, Mitchell, etc) but can also wreak havoc on some of the weaker minded young ones (B-Mac, Jimmer, T-Rob, pretty much everyone we've drafted in the last 15 years not named Reke, Boogie, or IT).
When did they ever do that with Bmac, Jimmer, or Trob? If anything the usage you see right now is right line with those failures. There are other circumstances as well however that don't necessarily fit the current situation. For instance you already had Boogie, JT, and just traded for Hickson making TRob a terrible fit. Jimmer could have fit, but never got the role expected plus he was brought into be a PG but was closer to a SG although I've watched some of him in China and I think in todays NBA he can run a team. B-mac was given a minor role but also never given anything significant in his first year and the next year they bungled another draft with Stauskas claiming it would work because Stauskas would play PG, which he never did. They said they knew how it could work but opted for not taking the chance on it and rather decided guaranteeing failure was the better route. It's like the whole team now is being played like the players you mention role wise and there's nobody getting the chance Cuz got.