[Game] Kings @ Thunder - 12/14/12

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
What this does mean is that Thomas would be very good as a scoring change-of-pace guard off the bench, which is the role most of us envisioned for him after his rookie season. We still need to find the right guard to play alongside Tyreke because it's not Brooks or Thornton and it's probably not Jimmer either. I think Salmons has some potential to fill that role, but then we have to find a real SF to open up that option. But Thomas should probably be the one PG who stays out of this current crop.

Thing is Isaiah won't just play off of Tyreke. He'll want the ball in his hands.
Isaiah had no problem letting Jimmer run around like a headless chicken with the ball while he was having the quarter of his life. I'm pretty sure he would have been fine sharing with Tyreke. And no doubt Tyreke would have no problem deferring to IT since he was so hot, while giving us more than Jimmer on offense and defense.

Isaiah had no problem letting Jimmer run around like a headless chicken with the ball while he was having the quarter of his life. I'm pretty sure he would have been fine sharing with Tyreke. And no doubt Tyreke would have no problem deferring to IT since he was so hot, while giving us more than Jimmer on offense and defense.
best post of the night

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah -- we needed to make substitutions there for defense alone. Scott Brooks brought in Durant, Westbrook, and Serge Ibaka and we make no adjustments? Unbelievably stupid.

even the Jimmermania people are not defending Jimmer for what he just did in that 4th quarter. down right terrible. i even got a text message from a friend asking what the hell Jimmer was doing. a friend who i have never spoken one word to about Jimmer

Jimmer was finding IT. Not sure what game you were watching. Jimmer had 1 bad possession that I can think of where he drove the lane with nowhere to go and turned it over but the game was largely over by then.

Jimmer was finding IT. Not sure what game you were watching. Jimmer had 1 bad possession that I can think of where he drove the lane with nowhere to go and turned it over but the game was largely over by then.
Correct. 2 of IT's 3 pointers were assisted by Jimmer penetrating and then finding IT, but Reke 13 Havoc couldn't see it with being blinded by his obvious hatred of Jimmer. I counted his negative comments on Jimmer during this game...20!

Correct. 2 of IT's 3 pointers were assisted by Jimmer penetrating and then finding IT, but Reke 13 Havoc couldn't see it with being blinded by his obvious hatred of Jimmer. I counted his negative comments on Jimmer during this game...20!
wow did you even watch the 4th? plenty of people on here have agreed that Jimmer played like an idiot and ruined the comeback IT lead

i dont hate Jimmer. i hate crappy play. it wasnt just Jimmer. it was everyone on the bench not names Isaiah or Thomas. but Jimmer made a lot of bad choices in the last 5 minutes

Kingster

Hall of Famer
:D

You make too much sense.:D

I hope just be because Isaiah did well in one quarter, they don't all of a sudden think he should be a starter for this team. We need to trade for a decent SF and have Reke back at PG and Salmons at SG. We need more role players and less chuckers.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That was a great comeback with IT & Jimmer on the floor, shame that our stars couldn't contain the OKC stars earlier in the game.
With IT and WHO??

After the game I'm pretty sure I overheard Eric Maynor talking about how he and Durant just had to turn it up to secure the victory this time.

He will indeed. Thus its no permanent solution at all, and to the degree it doesn't work longterm, I'll dump IT to solve the issue. But tonight Reke was playing very well, he's full sized and our best defender, and he's not a selfish guy. IT would have still had the ball. We would have gotten better defense and reboudning, and if I have a choice of Reke or Jimmer taking the ball from IT and being a stupid hero about it, I'll take Reke thx.

Have we seen a Kings team with Tyreke as the 'primary ballhandler' and IT as the off guard, though? I don't think we have.

Last season Thomas was very much the point guard, but at the same time, Tyreke wasn't playing at the level he is playing at right now. At the start of THIS season Thomas was the primary ballhandler, and Evans was more of a two, and we weren't playing well. However, this was also at a point in the season where Cousins was terrible, and Johnson was starting .. and was also playing terrible.

What we don't know is if Evans having more control of the offense is an order from Smart or just a natural thing that happened once Brooks came in. I know we've had this conversation before, but I think this is Smarts doing .. simply because I don't think he would allow it to go on this long if it wasn't part of the plan.

With this being said, I'd insert Thomas back into the starting lineup (and I have already said many times that I'm not really an IT fan, but more of a non-Brooks fan) ... I'd play him the same way Brooks is playing now, and I would expect better results. The starting unit is missing a certain amount of life. I wouldn't call Evans, Brooks, Salmons, or Cousins 'energy players'. This team lacks inspiration. I like Thomas' intangibles, and I think it's worth a shot.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
wow did you even watch the 4th? plenty of people on here have agreed that Jimmer played like an idiot and ruined the comeback IT lead

i dont hate Jimmer. i hate crappy play. it wasnt just Jimmer. it was everyone on the bench not names Isaiah or Thomas. but Jimmer made a lot of bad choices in the last 5 minutes
You did, as you often do, make it more than abundantly clear with a multitude of comments how you feel about Jimmer. In fact, out of 168 posts in this thread so far you had 71 of them. MassachusettsKingsFan is next with 18.

I think part of the problem some may be having is that you simply overwhelm the discussions.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I like Thomas' intangibles, and I think it's worth a shot.
The starting 5 with Brooks and Evans has actually played well, including tonight, when we've gotten to see it -- we've jsut rarely gottent o see it. And a huge part of it has been, amazingly, Salmons and Brooks largely knowing their place. Oh, Aaron can't stay that way for long stretches, but he and Reke are working.

I will trade IT for a bucket of week old fish before I do anything to screw that up. We can revisit this some months down the road after Reke has clearly reestablished himself as a star with the clout to just walk over and smack Isaiah alongside the head if he starts playing keepaway.

Statisitcally BTW, for what's its worth, our two largest minute lineups on the year are:

#1 Brooks/Evans/Salmons/JT/Cousins -- Win% 83.3% (highest win% of any combo)
#2 Thomas/Evans/Johnson/Thompson/Cousins -- Win% 33.3%

Last edited:
You did, as you often do, make it more than abundantly clear with a multitude of comments how you feel about Jimmer. In fact, out of 168 posts in this thread so far you had 71 of them. MassachusettsKingsFan is next with 18.

I think part of the problem some may be having is that you simply overwhelm the discussions.
because this management and coach has done such a good job of making team hard to watch, that im no longer interested in the games and have to find something better to do which is complain about it on here

because this management and coach has done such a good job of making team hard to watch, that im no longer interested in the games and have to find something better to do which is complain about it on here
I get your frustration i really do, but you most certainly over egg the pudding when it comes to Jimmer.

A lot of the time most of your criticism of him isn't even based in reality when i go back and focus on him in game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Which is why I'm visiting this fourm less and less. I've reached a point where I'm sick of hearing the same old thing over and over and over again. It just gets a little boring, and certainly doesn't perk up my day. So I'll just leave you to your misery... Enjoy!

Have we seen a Kings team with Tyreke as the 'primary ballhandler' and IT as the off guard, though? I don't think we have.

Last season Thomas was very much the point guard, but at the same time, Tyreke wasn't playing at the level he is playing at right now. At the start of THIS season Thomas was the primary ballhandler, and Evans was more of a two, and we weren't playing well. However, this was also at a point in the season where Cousins was terrible, and Johnson was starting .. and was also playing terrible.

What we don't know is if Evans having more control of the offense is an order from Smart or just a natural thing that happened once Brooks came in. I know we've had this conversation before, but I think this is Smarts doing .. simply because I don't think he would allow it to go on this long if it wasn't part of the plan.

With this being said, I'd insert Thomas back into the starting lineup (and I have already said many times that I'm not really an IT fan, but more of a non-Brooks fan) ... I'd play him the same way Brooks is playing now, and I would expect better results. The starting unit is missing a certain amount of life. I wouldn't call Evans, Brooks, Salmons, or Cousins 'energy players'. This team lacks inspiration. I like Thomas' intangibles, and I think it's worth a shot.
No, it was Reke who had the ball in his hands and IT was running around being pretty useless. He was without a doubt playing as the off guard when Tyreke was on the court. During this stretch IT was playing terrible as one would have expected.