[Game] Kings @ Pistons - Wednesday, Jan. 22 - 4PT/7ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what you come away with? Fox being civil with members of the other team and the media? What do you want him to do? Go into the tunnel and break a chair or something?
Uhh... yhea! We need someone on this team to show they care and that this is unacceptable... why not the best player?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Uhh... yhea! We need someone on this team to show they care and that this is unacceptable... why not the best player?
For the simple reason what Fox does in public right after the game doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. There's an old adage that says "Praise in public, discipline in private." I tend to agree with that thought. Let Fox do the nicety thing on the court in front of the cameras right after the game. Let him speak his truth in the locker room or on the plane, when it's just the players and not the media waiting to pounce at every opportunity.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That's what you come away with? Fox being civil with members of the other team and the media? What do you want him to do? Go into the tunnel and break a chair or something?

We did that with Boogie and people got angry at him for that so probably not that either.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Because the second he does that, people (probably the same people who are angry about him being friendly with the other team after the game <BOO SPORTSMANSHIP! YAY BEING A D***!>) would probably be up in arms about him being a head case and a locker room cancer like they were about Boogie.

Toughness, intensity, composure, smarts, and synergy on the court are not collective attributes that this Kings team possesses. I’m not sure if it’s possible to fix those deficiencies with just a few “tweaks”.

Last edited:
Why is Fox all smiles after the team got run off the court?
The NBA is a big fraternity. The players know each other from college or the pros and many have friendships “off the court”. I don’t have a problem with Fox being gracious after a loss. He’s a smart guy and I believe that he is absolutely not OK with the way the team is playing lately or with his own current shortcomings.

I pray Walton didn’t get up there to the podium and preach about how “it’s all good, things are getting better” and whatnot. I have a feeling he did

Ugh

Because the second he does that, people (probably the same people who are angry about him being friendly with the other team after the game <BOO SPORTSMANSHIP! YAY BEING A D***!>) would probably be up in arms about him being a head case and a locker room cancer like they were about Boogie.
I disagree. He's never had a past habit of being a head case. DMC was know for being one, especially with his interactions with refs, during games.

Something this bad, I'm sure we'd all be MORE than understanding and let it slide...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Personally, I'm not too concerned about Fox being all smiles after the game. He wasn't alone in that dept, and I'm sure he was happy to see his old coach Calipari who was in attendance. If I was Fox, I'd be trying to put that game out of my mind as soon as possible. But, I get why some might be upset about it. We're innocent victims in this whole thing. We live vicariously through these games, while being helpless to have any effect on the outcome. So we want the players to feel the pain we feel, and get angry when we perceive that they don't.

But back to the game. I have a question, and this question really has nothing to do with Doncic. But, our reason for not drafting Doncic was because we didn't want to take the ball out of Fox's hands, right? So with that thought in mind, why do we have Buddy taking the ball out of Fox's hands. Why when Fox is on the floor with Joseph, Joseph has the ball in his hands a fair percentage of the time.

I watch Fox drive into the lane and score well over 50% of the time. Oh he'll have his occasional bad night, but by and large, he's a consistent scorer in the lane, or he'll get an assist by breaking down the defense. He did it in the 4th quarter tonight several times. But why not all the time? Why isn't the ball in his hands every time he's on the floor. Why is Buddy allowed to dribble around for half the shot clock on occasion in order to force up a bad shot? Why not let Fox set him up?

I lay all this at Walton's feet. I've made excuses for him in my own mind. Yeah, he's been dealt a tough hand this year with all the injuries. But tell me this, do any of you think this team would be playing this badly under Joerger? So some of the players didn't like him. So what? I'm not saying we should bring back Joerger. That ship has sailed, but this is a very poorly coached team. I see mistake after mistake. I could start with why was Joseph even on the floor for that last play in regulation in Miami. Don't tell me about a switch. If it's Beli out there instead of Joseph that switch doesn't matter.

One thing I know. Something has to change. There is too much talent on this team to be losing games like the one tonight. I don't think Walton has a clue how to fix this problem. His press conference tonight was pitiful. He had no answers, other than he still believes in the team and he's happy to be coaching this bunch of guys. Talk is cheap when you need substance and results. It won't be much longer before he loses the team, if he hasn't lost them already.

In all my years of being a Kings fan, I can't remember ever being this disgusted. Enough is enough! It's time to bring in someone that knows what the hell their doing.

Personally, I'm not too concerned about Fox being all smiles after the game. He wasn't alone in that dept, and I'm sure he was happy to see his old coach Calipari who was in attendance. If I was Fox, I'd be trying to put that game out of my mind as soon as possible. But, I get why some might be upset about it. We're innocent victims in this whole thing. We live vicariously through these games, while being helpless to have any effect on the outcome. So we want the players to feel the pain we feel, and get angry when we perceive that they don't.

But back to the game. I have a question, and this question really has nothing to do with Doncic. But, our reason for not drafting Doncic was because we didn't want to take the ball out of Fox's hands, right? So with that thought in mind, why do we have Buddy taking the ball out of Fox's hands. Why when Fox is on the floor with Joseph, Joseph has the ball in his hands a fair percentage of the time.

I watch Fox drive into the lane and score well over 50% of the time. Oh he'll have his occasional bad night, but by and large, he's a consistent scorer in the lane, or he'll get an assist by breaking down the defense. He did it in the 4th quarter tonight several times. But why not all the time? Why isn't the ball in his hands every time he's on the floor. Why is Buddy allowed to dribble around for half the shot clock on occasion in order to force up a bad shot? Why not let Fox set him up?

I lay all this at Walton's feet. I've made excuses for him in my own mind. Yeah, he's been dealt a tough hand this year with all the injuries. But tell me this, do any of you think this team would be playing this badly under Joerger? So some of the players didn't like him. So what? I'm not saying we should bring back Joerger. That ship has sailed, but this is a very poorly coached team. I see mistake after mistake. I could start with why was Joseph even on the floor for that last play in regulation in Miami. Don't tell me about a switch. If it's Beli out there instead of Joseph that switch doesn't matter.

One thing I know. Something has to change. There is too much talent on this team to be losing games like the one tonight. I don't think Walton has a clue how to fix this problem. His press conference tonight was pitiful. He had no answers, other than he still believes in the team and he's happy to be coaching this bunch of guys. Talk is cheap when you need substance and results. It won't be much longer before he loses the team, if he hasn't lost them already.

In all my years of being a Kings fan, I can't remember ever being this disgusted. Enough is enough! It's time to bring in someone that knows what the hell their doing.
The coaching certainly gets its share of the blame, but I don’t think this Kings’ roster is configured properly. The team invested too heavily in players that are underperforming (Barnes, Hield, Dedmon) and really don’t help make their teammates better - even if/when they are producing as expected. Bogdanovic, on the other hand, IS a guy that elevates the play of the team as a whole. Sadly, because of the financial overcommitment to those previously mentioned, Sacramento may not have enough money to keep him or to add other talent that can help improve the team. The recent FA contracts are yet more huge mistakes by the front office that can be added to the already long list of bad/questionable managerial decisions. Vlade is a nice guy and a hallowed member of Kings’ heritage, but he has had his chance as GM to turn this team around and he has failed miserably. The time has come for him to be replaced by someone with the background, knowledge, skill, and objectivity to craft a team that can be a winner.

Amen. I think Walton has already lost the team and it’s a catastrophic problem for the franchise. A few weeks ago I said I could accept this as a transition year under Walton. Learn a new system and establish the “Kings way” of how this team would be run for years to come. While disappointed that it felt like we were starting over a bit, I could live with it to build the foundation. But at this point we will be doing the same thing next year and before you notice, people are pointing out the instability of the front office again, noting fox is on his 3rd coach in 4 seasons in the NBA, and then....the whole thing spins further down the drain. Sorry to be bleak, but this is not good folks. i feel like we will be in a terrible spot this offseason......keep a bad thing together for another year for the sake of ”stability“, or start all over again.

Rose/Wood just did a number on the Kings, Rose blowing away every single guard and Wood feasting on those drives and just schooling Harry (showed great passing and everything else horrible)/Dedmon (worse than Sessions). This is not the playing down to the competition this is a bad team.

This is a spectacularly poorly coached team.
Has anyone else noticed players running into each other at the top of the key I swear Bjelica has done it 5 games in a row with someone, never seen that before from an NBA team.

I think Bjelli might be our most underrated player. Whatever happens, I hope we do what it takes to keep him. And I hope we move Buddy to a backup role until his output merits a different plan.
I hope he gets traded to Boston/Houston/Dallas to get some meaningful time/help a good team, it's depressing watching him here.

What’s joke of a season this has become.

Awful start. Followed by injuries. Followed by more injuries. Followed by a very promising stretch without injured players making us all believe the horrible start was an aberration caused by travel 3/4 around the world. Followed by a complete dive into the abyss.

This team isn’t even fun to watch, which would at least take away some of the sting. There’s nothing entertaining about this team. At all. And that makes me sad ... and angry.

Sorry to be negative. But that’s how I feel.

fire walton now
fire vlade in april/may

fox, hield, bogdan simply cannot play together... at least one guy must go out, or maybe two
i don't have my favourite for trading or staying. maybe we can trade all 3 of them.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The guys who were here last year played well enough to almost be a .500 club.

Reading and listening to the news feeds and Reporters right now, they are not pulling any punches. If this continues, I do expect changes. Reminds me of the George Karl time when the players were clearly an unhappy grumpy bunch who were giving half effort. Doesn’t matter how many years are left on the coaches contract if this continues. It is bad.

I had to turn this game off and I have sat through a bunch of stinkers in my time as a Kings Fan.

There was a brief amount of ball movement when Walton benched Buddy due to a bad shot. While I blame Walton for much of the issues Buddy has due to his changed role. I start Bogi at the 2 and have Buddy be a super sixth man at this point.

Baja made a good point about Fox needing the ball in his hands. Instead we have Buddy and Cojo bringing the ball up when Fox is on the floor.

I liked Buddy's role last year when he was running all over the floor and shooting more open looks. This is on Walton. Having Buddy handle the ball so much appears to have shaken Buddys confidence. He has been ineffective running in the scheme Walton has laid out for him.

I had to turn this game off and I have sat through a bunch of stinkers in my time as a Kings Fan.

There was a brief amount of ball movement when Walton benched Buddy due to a bad shot. While I blame Walton for much of the issues Buddy has due to his changed role. I start Bogi at the 2 and have Buddy be a super sixth man at this point.

Baja made a good point about Fox needing the ball in his hands. Instead we have Buddy and Cojo bringing the ball up when Fox is on the floor.

I liked Buddy's role last year when he was running all over the floor and shooting more open looks. This is on Walton. Having Buddy handle the ball so much appears to have shaken Buddys confidence. He has been ineffective running in the scheme Walton has laid out for him.
Just one issue. Buddy wasn't benched because of the bad shot, he was benched because of a number consecutive mistakes:

1. Buddy's man jumps him on the perimeter, which created an open lane to the hoop. Instead of driving vertical to the hoop, Buddy dribbles lateral.
2. Had Buddy driven vertical, he could've gone directly to the hoop or jump stopped in the paint and passed to Bogi or to which ever teammate became open when that man's defender helped. Basically he would've collapsed the defense.
3. Going vertical allowed Bogi's man to stay near him. Buddy's defender had this scouted out and simply slid with Buddy.
4. Instead of looking for a teammate or even just passing the ball back to Bogi for a reset, Buddy takes a wild, contested, ugly shot.
5. His hoops IQ and his tendency to score at basically just one level have all been scouted out and abused. As evidenced by this play. Over. And over again.

Then Buddy goes to the bench mumbling to himself at first. Then he's on the bench trying to justify why that wasn't a bad shot. It was a bad shot, but that's not why he got benched. He was benched for the decisions that lead to that shot. It's a problem that I don't think should be hanged on Walton. It's on Buddy and I simply don't know if he'll ever shake it. Dude is 27 and is 3.5 years into his career. He is what he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.