Kings free agency, part 3

I'd like to see the Kings go after KJ McDaniels. Can guard multiple positions and run the floor well. Also averages 1.9 blk per 36 minutes, which is insane for a guy his size.
Yes. Please KJ. Hard thing is that he's a RFA. One of my favorite players from last year's draft. Torn between a vet stretching 4 or a young defensive wing.

Bargnani vs. McDaniels

If McDaniels reaches his potential, he's going to be a great 2-way player in the NBA. He'd be great off the bench with our 2nd unit. However, Bargs is the perfect fit next to Cuz offensively when we need the floor spacing. If he's healthy, he's a good player.

And again please....please stay away from Josh Smith :( I do not want him at all

We actually could get Smith cheap since Detroit will be paying him until 2035. Maybe a one year contract like Rondo? Dont know how I would feel about it but he's definitely a talent.

Rudy recruiting Josh Smith. o:

If Josh Smith comes here cheap and keep his attitude in check along with Rondo and DMC, I'll buy a Rudy Gay jersey to honour the only other player after the C-Webb and Vlade era who was really able to recruit some all-star caliber player to SacTown. And of course with all due credit to VladFather moves as well.

Otherwise, IMO, other than Casspi, we should take a look on how Xavier Henry's achilles is healing. He's a good pro and a nice wing to come off the bench.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Amazing to see Vlade add Koufos...just weeks ago it was doom and gloom and now everyone is energized. Hoping the team and Karl are as energized to get going.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I'm not a huge fan of bringing Smith in, particularly over Casspi, but like others have said, good for you, Rudy Gay. You have to appreciate his effort to get some real players here.

For someone so many of us approached with caution, Gay has been an outstanding King on and off the court.
I said last night with WCS and Kosta and even moreland we have alot of defense in the frontcourt. It wouldn't hurt for us to get a little offense. Josh can also play SF. Say what you will about smiths past. Age and more talent around you seems to always help chucking ways. It did in Houston. With rondo, cousins, gay and belinelli. I feel smith would get it dialed in as to what he needs to do.

Rondo,collison,mccallum
McLemore,belinelli,Anderson
Gay,smith
Smith,WCS,Moreland
Cousins,kosta,WCS

That's deep and talented deep. Easy 9 man rotation there

Playing SF in Detroit was a desaster, especially when he was paired with Drummond and Monroe, who are somewhat similar to Koufos and Cousins.
Maybe he can guard some SF's. But on the offensive end he works best as a mobile PF with shooters to pass the ball to.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I said last night with WCS and Kosta and even moreland we have alot of defense in the frontcourt. It wouldn't hurt for us to get a little offense. Josh can also play SF. Say what you will about smiths past. Age and more talent around you seems to always help chucking ways. It did in Houston. With rondo, cousins, gay and belinelli. I feel smith would get it dialed in as to what he needs to do.

Rondo,collison,mccallum
McLemore,belinelli,Anderson
Gay,smith
Smith,WCS,Moreland
Cousins,kosta,WCS

That's deep and talented deep. Easy 9 man rotation there
I certainly hope your right. Smith scares me at SF, because that's when he starts chucking away. There's always a danger with him, and in a system like Karl's, where you take a lot of open three's, I fear Smith would have a hard time restraining himself. I think he's a better player at the four, both offensively and defensively. But we already have Cousins, Koufos, WCS, Moreland, and supposedly Gay. There's only so many minutes at the four and five spots. Now if you move Gay back to the three, then it would make more sense. But hey, I guess it's better to have too many good players than not enough.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I certainly hope your right. Smith scares me at SF, because that's when he starts chucking away. There's always a danger with him, and in a system like Karl's, where you take a lot of open three's, I fear Smith would have a hard time restraining himself. I think he's a better player at the four, both offensively and defensively. But we already have Cousins, Koufos, WCS, Moreland, and supposedly Gay. There's only so many minutes at the four and five spots. Now if you move Gay back to the three, then it would make more sense. But hey, I guess it's better to have too many good players than not enough.
That is my line of thinking right there. If he is willing for the money you don't turn down talent like that. We have got to look at this from injury standpoint. That killed us last year. Smith woulld make us a legit 2 deep at every position.

Last year our two deep was mccallum,stauskas,casspi,Landry,hollins. Not sure how it all pans out this year but will be much better than that.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have zero interest in Josh Smith as a SF. But if we signed him to play PF and resigned Casspi with the room exception (and then sign guys like DeAndre Liggins and Cole Aldrich at the minimum) then all of a sudden you have a lot of roster flexibility.

Want to put four shooters around Boogie?

Collison/Bellinelli/Casspi/Gay/Cousins

Need to go defensive?

Rondo/McLemore/Gay or Liggins/Cousins or Koufos/Cauley-Stein

Want ball handling and passing?

Rondo/Collison/Gay/Smith/Cousins

Get up and down the floor quickly?

Collison/McLemore/Casspi/Smith/Cauley-Stein

Big and Bruising?

Rondo/Gay/Smith/Cousins/Koufos

I'm not high on Josh Smith and would rather grab a stretch 4 but the Kings could certainly go all-in on the chemistry of Rudy/Rondo/Smith/Cousins (who I think would get along just fine) while being the NBA version of the Island of Misfit Toys.

Entity

Hall of Famer
[Conspiracy Theorist mode]

Yeah, but what happens when Rondo, Gay and Smith all decide to pull a coup on Cousins?

[/Conspiracy Theorist mode]
Yeah that crossed my mind. Those three are a clique. Cousins would have to brought into the fold quickly. Or you are right a losing streak with a rondo/cuz blowup. Rudy and josh WILL pick a side

Bringing Smith in may be an insurance policy to keep Rondo past this season. With Rudy and Josh here on a playoff team with an all-world talent like DMC and an experienced playoff coach in George Karl, Rondo may just re-up here.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Barnes becomes an interesting name if Omri is reluctant. Too bad I think he and Vlade missed each other by a single season with the Kings, because I would think at his age if he's cut loose he'd probably still be in the sign with a contender mentality.
I wis Boston would waive Gerald Wallace. He actually played with vlade and could fill in the backup SF/PF role

Rondo, Belli and Koufos>>>>>JT, Nik and Landry

...and it's not even close.

Vlade just gave a massive middle finger to Woj and the rest of the idiots bad mouthing our team. This team just got significantly better. We all wanted to get guys who compliment DMC's game, Vlade made it happen. Now get out there and shut this trendy "point guard driven league" BS down. There have been way more championships won on the shoulders of big men throughout history, it's time for Cousins to truly break out and dominate this game like he should.

Kurt Helin@basketballtalk
20 mins ago
Kings fans: We passed along the report of max deal. Both Kings and Harris camp have reason to spin this, believe what you want.
Kurt Helin@basketballtalk
17 mins ago
Kings fans part 2: The report comes from a very well connected reporter. Again, teams lie, agents lie, everybody spins. Be a smart consumer.

Lol, the national media is already trying to defend themselves after being exposed on the bs report that we offered Tobias a max deal.

Im excited.
This lineup has the potential of absolutely killing it or going down in flames in a spectacular fashion. At the very least, next season will be quite exciting.

The Harris max deal report never made sense. There was no talk of Harris. No meeting as far as I know. It would eat up most of the cap space created. Gay and Harris are kind of redundant.

Harris just never seeemed to be a target of the team. They were looking for a backup PG and a defensive wing. Harris is neither.

They didn't get their defensive wing though.

hopefully J smoove can come in and play a faried like role under karl - also smith is a better defender and passer than faried.. but i still want casspi first.

The Harris max deal report never made sense. There was no talk of Harris. No meeting as far as I know. It would eat up most of the cap space created. Gay and Harris are kind of redundant.

Harris just never seeemed to be a target of the team. They were looking for a backup PG and a defensive wing. Harris is neither.

They didn't get their defensive wing though.
The thing that irritated me the most about the Harris reporting was that he "turned down" a max offer from the Kings which is completely out of context. The Magic could always offer more than anyone else or match any offer, so had we actually made an offer it would have been more like him bringing it to Orl to see if they would match. At that point there would be no reason for him to sign the imaginary Kings offer since the Magic made it clear they were matching any offer. The report was spun to try to make the Kings look bad once again.

I'm not a huge fan of bringing Smith in, particularly over Casspi, but like others have said, good for you, Rudy Gay. You have to appreciate his effort to get some real players here.

For someone so many of us approached with caution, Gay has been an outstanding King on and off the court.
Agreed. Props to Rudy for not quitting on the team when this all became a mess. He decided to take action. Positive action. If you can't play for the coach you love, find a way to bring the players you love to you. Do what's within your control.

I know some said this may alienate Cuz. But I think it more so puts Karl on an island. This aren't Karls pieces. They're Rudy's.