Kings free agency, part 3

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Good deal, but Koufos is a lot better. We don't need to bargain hunt
Koufos is a fine player, if we're actually chasing him I can understand that. For the time being though there are productive bigs disappearing from the market on affordable deals while we're sitting on $11-12 million in cap space and looking at starting the season with Eric Moreland and Willie Cauley-Stein's combined 1 minute of NBA playing time as our entire frontcourt depth. Koufos would be a real nice addition but we haven't fared well so far with free agents other teams are interested in.

Koufos is a fine player, if we're actually chasing him I can understand that. For the time being though there are productive bigs disappearing from the market on affordable deals while we're sitting on $11-12 million in cap space and looking at starting the season with Eric Moreland and Willie Cauley-Stein's combined 1 minute of NBA playing time as our entire frontcourt depth. Koufos would be a real nice addition but we haven't fared well so far with free agents other teams are interested in.
The good news is that between the Knicks signing Lopez and the Lakers trading for Hibbert, there aren't a lot of teams out there that want him and have the cap space.
Clippers might be able to arrange a S&T for him, and Portland might want him at center- but there aren't a lot of starting center openings right now and we can offer him a good deal.

EDIT: come to think about it- the Pacers now have cap space, and no starting center (or PF after West leaved) I think they could possibly be our major competition, though I haven't heard that they have expressed interest in him...

Last edited:
The good news is that between the Knicks signing Lopez and the Lakers trading for Hibbert, there aren't a lot of teams out there that want him and have the cap space.
Clippers might be able to arrange a S&T for him, and Portland might want him at center- but there aren't a lot of starting center openings right now and we can offer him a good deal
Another team that has been relatively quiet and may be looking for a center is Boston. They have tons of cap space too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Does he have any ball handling "lead guard" skills? I'll be interested to see his game
He handles the ball fine, but sadly he's a shooting guard in a PG's body. He would be more suited as a sixth man off the bench. Similar to what Lou Williams does. He's very good at getting to the basket and finishing as well. Who knows, maybe he's been hiding his PG skills.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
He handles the ball fine, but sadly he's a shooting guard in a PG's body. He would be more suited as a sixth man off the bench. Similar to what Lou Williams does. He's very good at getting to the basket and finishing as well. Who knows, maybe he's been hiding his PG skills.
I have high hopes for Hawkins but they are in the long term. I think he spends most of this year in Reno but I think in time he could possibly be an Eddie House type player.

There's a decent chance that will have a go at the Warriors in a 1 vs 8 or 2 vs 7 seed matchup. Would be good to see that rivalry get pumped up

Lol let's worry about adding more depth at SF PF and C before we worry about our first game...we shouldn't utter the word playoffs. Let's revisit this in February.

S

sactownfan

I like to finish up with Tobias Harris and Jordan Hill. Or josh smith and omri casspi
We offered Harris the max... he returned to ORL.... I was on board with Harris... bummer .... He had issues with Skiles so I thought maybe he wanted out and they would let him go.

Is anybody talking to josh smith? Saw a tweet earlier in the week that we were. I haven't heard anything since from any team
I've been looking all over and the only thing I found was the same tweet that you are referring to. So far the Kings have been the only team that has been linked to Josh.

Just a quick thought on the Casspi front. So right now we are about $10-12 million under the cap but also will have the lower level exception of $2.8 million once/if we hit the cap. The NBA seems to have very strict guidelines when it comes to the CBA and some of the clauses. The Kings don't officially obtain the exception until the cap is reached. Is it possible that we can't announce anything regarding the player (Casspi) that we are going to use the exception on until we have officially reached the cap? I mean we could always end up using $2.8 or so of the cap space for Omri but we also would probably lose some leverage with the agents that we are negotiating with since they would know that we plan on using our full amount of space.

Lakers are picking up Hibbert now so I'm assuming they're out of the Koufos game. We should get him before the clippers do.
I read clippers looking at javale McGee and amare. But you never know who else is trying to get him. Some people wanted o'quinn but he's off the market now. I'd rather get our last big in free agency and resign casspi and call it an offseason

Have the Kings been linked to Koufos? He just doesn't seem to fit what the kings say they are looking for.
I read some blurb on Hoops Hype the other day about us being interested in him probably not too reliable though. I think he would be useful if we had a match up where we didnt have to have much athleticism. Had a 50% FG last year as well. That said, I think we'll sign J-Smoove and resign Casspi and call it an off season.

I like how quiet it is right now, and we had no idea about the Tobias offer

Vlade doing a great job of getting things done quietly, or at least trying to. Maybe he picked up a few things from the
great Petrie