Key to beating Seattle

IMO the key to beating Seattle is going to be Peja. IF he is healthy and can bother Lewis on the defensive end while converting open looks the Kings have a good chance. I think Allen is going to get his, and with Radmonivic out, Lewis is Seattle's only other consistent outside threat.

Will Peja finally put together a great series in the playoffs?

The key is to score more points than them! Seriously though I think the games will be close. That means the outcome of the series will be decided by execution in the last couple minutes of the game. I like our chances with Mike at the helm. I also think our home court advantage is much bigger than theirs.

Rebounding and defense in the post. However, Radmonivic is out taking away a real 3-point threat, while we just got one back (BJ-who can also create his own shot).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
G_M said:
IMO the key to beating Seattle is going to be Peja. IF he is healthy and can bother Lewis on the defensive end while converting open looks the Kings have a good chance. I think Allen is going to get his, and with Radmonivic out, Lewis is Seattle's only other consistent outside threat.

Will Peja finally put together a great series in the playoffs?
Peja and Lewis will probably just about counter each other out there, assuming both are healthy of course -- otherwise healthier guy takes it.

I've mentioned before that I don't really think Peja is a playoff choker really so much as he is just simply not good enough to beat the elite defenders that you run into in the playoffs at SF. The Bowens, Hassels, Princes, Artests, Fox back in the day etc. etc.. And particularly not when good defensive teams have time over the course of a long series to dissect our offense and really dial in to him. But take a mediocre defensive squad without a SF stopper, and Peja should be able to have a good series against them.

But in any case, given the roughly equal talent at SF, I have a feeling the bigger keys may turn out to be a) do we merely get beat on the boards or CRUSHED on the boards by Bump and Thump, and b) how badly can Bibby light up Ridnour and Daniels.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
IMHO the real key to beating Seattle is to play KINGS basketball. Pass, pass, pass, pass and pass some more. WAIT for the open shot. Get the Sonics dizzy trying to follow the ball. The Sonics are going to score but if the Kings play SMART they will most likely score more - and that's what it's all about at the end.

LOL @ Bump and Thump...good one Brick...

I agree with what almost everyone has posted...their really are several keys...but its summed up best by what VF said playing "Kings basketball"

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
iheartBrad said:
LOL @ Bump and Thump...good one Brick...
Actually I just recycled that one -- used to be the old nickname for Charles Barkley and Rick Mahorn when they were together in Philly in late 80's/early 90's.

the real key for you guys is actually keeping Evans, James, Fortson e.t.c off the offensive glass. Those 3 can kill you If you allow It to happen. They are all energy guys who frustrate teams. Just ask Shaq.

I say control the offensive rebounds. Don't let reggie evans and fortson get the offensive boards. When they do that they are a tough team to beat.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Burrito06 said:
I say control the offensive rebounds. Don't let reggie evans and fortson get the offensive boards. When they do that they are a tough team to beat.
I think that's pretty much what Sonic fan just said.

;)

Be aggressive and attack the basket. This is where I think Mobley and Bobby can help us. Too many times we've settled for the jump shot instead of putting it on the floor. Our opponents will look to stifle our passing game, so penetrate, draw fouls and get to the line. Turn a strength of Seattle into a negative by getting there bigs into foul trouble. Keep your cool and don’t argue calls.

Last edited:
Ray Allen34 said:
the real key for you guys is actually keeping Evans, James, Fortson e.t.c off the offensive glass.
Maybe its wishfull thinking but I think now that we have Skinner, Nasty and combine that with Darius I think we match up a lot better against the big guys you guys have. They give us what we didn't have in the past.

We need to stop dribble penetration by Ridnour and Daniels so they can't drive and kick to Allen or Lewis. The key? Mike Bibby's on-the-ball defense. If he keeps people in front of him and we control the defensive glass, we'll be fine.

Let me just start by saying I REALLY want the Kings to win, however, my gut tells me they will lose in 6 or 7. I just think that the Sonics just have too many weapons on both ends of the floor and will eventually wear the Kings down.

BigWaxer said:
Maybe its wishfull thinking but I think now that we have Skinner, Nasty and combine that with Darius I think we match up a lot better against the big guys you guys have. They give us what we didn't have in the past.
dont forget tag cuz i think he will recieve more playing time in the playoffs...

Like i said... if we have Brad and Peja back, we can play with any team in the league. and Sonics are definitely the weakest link on that list. Thats why every playoff team wanted to face the Sonics in the first round.

^yeah you mean every team on the bottom of the bracket wanted to face the Sonics...every team on the top of the bracket wanted to face the Sacramento Kings...

I feel very confident about this series. Because both clubs are a sharp shooting team, it all comes to boards and how hard each team hussle for the loose balls. Even if Pedja has to sit the first few games out, I still just feel that we'll win with those factors.

Kings in 5! Go Kings!

I think the Kings will dispatch the Sonics with relative ease. I agree with Waxer. Our big guys will overwhelm their big guys. Songaila, Evans, Williamson, Stojakovic, Skinner, Ostertag, and Thomas will run the Sonic guards into the hardwood. Also, look for Fortson to be ejected.

Not only that, I think Bibby, Jackson, Mobley, and House will outplay Ray Allen and their guards. I think the Kings are clearly underrated by fans and the media twits at this point. A lot of fans and twits have not honestly assessed the crushing impacts that injuries and trades have had upon the Kings.

This ought to be some of the most fun that we fans have had in a very long time. Doubters may now consume the grape Kool Aid.

I think the real keys for us is to get healthy and make sure to limit perimeter penetration. The penetration puts too much pressure on our front court(it makes them leave thier man which it then becomes harder to recover thier position for rebounds) and because of them challenging the guards due to poor perimeter defense we get outrebounded I see this all the time. It already hard for our front court because of our size.

Last edited:
VF21 said:
IMHO the real key to beating Seattle is to play KINGS basketball. Pass, pass, pass, pass and pass some more. WAIT for the open shot. Get the Sonics dizzy trying to follow the ball. The Sonics are going to score but if the Kings play SMART they will most likely score more - and that's what it's all about at the end.
This is the smartest thing I have read in a long time!!! RIGHT ON.

AleksandarN said:
I think the real keys for us is to get healthy and make sure to limit perimeter penetration. The penetration puts too much pressure on our front court(it makes them leave thier man which it then becomes harder to recover thier position for rebounds) and because of them challenging the guards due to poor perimeter defense. It already hard for our front court because of our size.
Word...

We can't allow many easy baskets. One of the games we lost to Seattle this year at the Key was when they realized in the 3rd quarter they can take it to the rack every time and never be stopped. And unfortunately, that's what they did.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Good stuff here. Yep passing to get the open look is top prioity followed by all out attack on the boards. Seattle has not seen the new look Kings, and while they may not be the same with out Webber they are also not the same as with Webber. Incresed Tag time and a more brutal presence inside with Skinner and the little big man Thomas COULD suprise them in the early meets. Kings back up gaurds can pick up the pace to truely super sonic levels although Bobby and House together also spells chaos on the court... could cut both ways.