How do you feel about the new ALTERNATE jerseys?

How do you feel about the new "alternate" jerseys?

• Total voters
Yeah, thats what I figured, the gold on the website is a lot darker then the one from the video game. Also the Metallic aspect should make it different. I understand the Laker thing, but those jerseys look NOTHING like Lakers jerseys, if the final product brings anything Lakers related to peoples minds I would be surprised.

I like the sound of that jersey being metallic silver. Dang, that would look sweet.

So does this mean gold has replaced silver or are we using both?
I have no problem with gold but it would have been better to have purple jersey with gold trim or something less like "them". When they saw them, didn't the light bulb go off and they said "oops, back to the drawing board."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^Please refrain from the smack, insults, snide comments, etc. One of the best things about Kingsfans.com is we manage to get along quite nicely without any of those...

Thanks for understanding.

VF21

D-Mass said:
Great...we'll be the metallic Lakers.

I appreciate the honoring of Kings fans, but would it have been too difficult to come up with a few designs and allow the fans to vote for the one we like most? That would have truly honored the fans, and wouldn't have left us with this sorry excuse for a uniform. :mad:
Metallic? Like shiny?..like the Nuggets or the "infamous" shiny Mavs? Hmmm...interesting. I'm curious to see them in "person" instead of a video game.

They're awful. I thought the powder blue alternates last year were tacky and that the throwbacks from the year before that looked bad, but this yellow stuff is just garbage.

Ick. I personally love our colors. Black, Silver and Purple. Gold, while a nice enough color in its own right, will be forever indelibley etched in my mind as hated. That color does not belong to us, but to THEM, the enemy. The distinction between pee yellow (as the laker colors are), mustard yellow, pale yellow, bright gold, and pale gold (as the new uni's look) are but splitting hairs. Yellow and Gold are LAKER colors.

As for the reference to the color being more similiar to COLLEGE teams, we AREN'T a college team, we are SUPPOSED to be an NBA team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've thought about this all day and discussed it with some Laker fans who live up here (there are a few). I'm still not happy; the Laker fans are convinced it has to be a joke because no one (meaning the Maloofs) would do something like that to their loyal fans AND their own team.

I am going to show my support for my team this year by buying a new jersey - IN PURPLE!!! I will not buy, wear, or support in any way, shape or form the "gold standard."

If anything, it's ridiculous to talk about a gold standard, as I believe uolj mentioned when we haven't won GOLD yet. Let's talk about the color of the O'Brien trophy when and if we ever actually earn it.

If they were so adamant about precious metals, why not use SILVER and purple? Or even SILVER with purple and black. Silver and black looks pretty damned good on the Raiders and I'm reasonably sure it would look more than okay on the Kings.

For an organization to go to this kind of effort shows the Maloofs are trying to listen to and honor us - the fans. IMHO it's just very unfortunate their top marketing people are apparently named Buss.

GO KINGS - PURPLE FOREVER!!!!

C

Coach

Sorry, I must be color blind. The Lakers uniform looks blue and yellow to me. So does the Pacers uniform.

I guess that all you people who say our new uniforms look like the Lakers must also think our new uniforms look like the Pacers.

Gold makes complete sense to me -- we are the Kings. When I think of a King, I think of a gold crown. Gold and purple are the color of royalty.

If you don't like the new uniforms because you think they are ugly, I can respect that. But once you try to say they look like the Lakers uniform, you lose me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^Gold and purple are also the OFFICIAL colors of the Lakers.

If you don't think it's a problem, that's your opinion. If you don't see the resemblance to the Laker uniforms, that's fine. But it's certainly appearing that it's the VAST minority opinion.

That's why I started the poll. Sorry, but it appears you're outnumbered by people who DO have a real problem with the jersey.

As far as how the uniforms look, our purple jerseys look blue in a majority of pictures and on TV, too. It's only when you actually see one in person that you realize they are - in fact - purple.

Once you try to say they look like the Lakers uniform, you lose me.
I'll try to live with the heartbreak.

;)

Apparently, we'll just have to agree to disagree...and my disagreement will be manifest most prominently by my $$$ NOT going into the cash register to purchase one of those ugly-arse things.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kingsfan916 said:
Ok, come on its doesn't really about the Laker color thing because they are not our rivals anymore. They are way too bad for competing with us.
1. The Lakers will ALWAYS be the hated team from Southern California. The rivalry goes clear to the bone for a lot of us - especially those who have been Kings fans since before you were even born.
2. I wouldn't go spouting off about "way too bad" quite yet. That kind of talk can come back and bite you right in the rear. The Lakers may not have made the playoffs last year, but they are NOT going to just go away. Underestimate them and you may have to eat a lot of crow later on. Give the devil his due...

kingsfan916 said:
Ok, come on its doesn't really about the Laker color thing because they are not our rivals anymore. They are way too bad for competing with us.
Lakers will always be a rival for the Kings. If nothing else, the Lakers kept us from a championship run on at least one occasion, and that, for me at least, is enough to hate them. Whether they are or are not as good as us this year remains to be seen, but there will always be a grudge there for me, and I don't EVER want the Kings to look like we are trying to imitate them.

But hey, that's just me! I'm a 49er fan & I still hate the Cowboys!:eek:

Coach said:
Sorry, I must be color blind. The Lakers uniform looks blue and yellow to me. So does the Pacers uniform.

I guess that all you people who say our new uniforms look like the Lakers must also think our new uniforms look like the Pacers.

Gold makes complete sense to me -- we are the Kings. When I think of a King, I think of a gold crown. Gold and purple are the color of royalty.

If you don't like the new uniforms because you think they are ugly, I can respect that. But once you try to say they look like the Lakers uniform, you lose me.
well, everyone has their own opinion, but if you take a look on the Lakers fan boards you'll notice that it's not just Kings fans that have noted the similarities between the uniforms of the Lakers & that of the New kings "alternate" jerseys.

And, quite honestly, the Pacers jerseys look different to me, and even if they didn't, I could care less. The Pacers are hardly our arch rivals, or the team that has kept us from realizing our potential, or the team that has called us names and belittled us. Maybe if they were, I'd pay more attention to what they are wearing. But since it's the Lakers I've spent years hating, and the Lakers I've despised, the similarities to the uniforms of a team I love to hate is hard to ignore....

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
If the color truly is a darker metallic gold, I don't think I'll have a problem with it. In the game shot it looked yellow. If it looks different outside a computer game, I'll give it a chance. Lakers yellow and 49er gold are 2 completely different colors (no matter how much you might not want them to be), and even I, a red-green deficient (read: partially colorblind) male can see that.

Here's another problem I have. If the GAME SHOT looked yellow, it is MOST LIKELY that the view seen on TV will look yellow, not 'gold' Our current road uni's are PURPLE, yet when I sent one to a relative out of town they were SHOCKED to realize what the ACTUAL color was. Not that they didn't know our colors were Purple, Silver and Black, but that the uni, in person, was PURPLE, a deep majestic Purple, not the blueish color it appeared on televised games. SOME colors do not transfer well to the televised media, or to copying. I can speak from personal experience that Gold, most ESPECIALLY real Gold, does not transfer well, in copies, or TV.

I've got some whack taste in jerseys. I own two purple road unis and I love 'em. I own a powder blue throwback and I love it. But these new ones are atrocious, sorry. Someone should shoot the Kings marketing advisors and whoever hried the design company that rolled these unis out. As far as "gold" being a color of royalty that honor belongs to purple alone (at least in the west), historically spekaing gold represents nothing but wealth and gaudiness. Not sure of any other pro team with a royal name that has gold anywhere involved, help me out if you can think of one.
KC Royals - Blue
LA Kings - Purple, black, silver
Monarchs - purple, black, red, white

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
hoopsfan said:
For not responding..you've got the longest posts in this thread. ;)
It's always too late to respond by the time I see these comments, but I'm going to do it anyway. I guess judging by the emoticon that that was meant sarcastically anyway, because obviously the main bulk of my posting was responding to the thoughts expressed by other Kings fans here and not towards jealous Lakers fans. My response to Lakers fans is always the same. Let's watch the game and see what happens.

This is interesting to me. I first looked at the pictures of the new unis at work. On that computer the color looked very much like a fairly bright yellow and my instantaneous thought was of the Lakers. Now, on my home computer, the unis look more like a dull or darker, metallic gold. Not sure I'll like them, but I'll wait to see them in person. At least on my home computer the pics didn't scream Lakers to me at all, even if the Laker colors are "gold" and purple. Anyway, how these pics look to each of us, may be different, depending on our computers.

Last edited:
love_them_kings said:
well, everyone has their own opinion, but if you take a look on the Lakers fan boards you'll notice that it's not just Kings fans that have noted the similarities between the uniforms of the Lakers & that of the New kings "alternate" jerseys.

And, quite honestly, the Pacers jerseys look different to me, and even if they didn't, I could care less. The Pacers are hardly our arch rivals, or the team that has kept us from realizing our potential, or the team that has called us names and belittled us. Maybe if they were, I'd pay more attention to what they are wearing. But since it's the Lakers I've spent years hating, and the Lakers I've despised, the similarities to the uniforms of a team I love to hate is hard to ignore....
I have to agree with you on this...they dont look like the new style LA jerseys, but just take a look back a few years...gold and purple, and even though its not the same font on the logo and the numbers are different...its still has the aura of the Lakers with the gold and purple. Oh well, not like we have any say in if they are going to wear these this season for a few games, they've already decided on them, put them on video games, and are going to wear them regardless of what we think. Hell, for our next alternate jersey, we might as well but pinstripes like the Yankees and call it throwback.