How do you feel about the new ALTERNATE jerseys?

How do you feel about the new "alternate" jerseys?

• Total voters
Yes, I plan on trying that out this year, easier to pack around:D

Forgot to add, they don't allow you to ask for autographs. Chris was always signing things anyway, but obviously, he won't be there this year, so your autograph opportunity is about nil at this event unless they (the organization) changes that rule for this year.
VF21 said:
Or your hotrod cellphone with digital photo capability!

HINT!!!!!

;)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
GREAT! Thanks for the info. Gives me a better idea of what to expect. I have a camera phone, but just use it in "emergencies" (read: without a "real" camera) and I am too cheap to pay the monthly fee to send messages and photos with it. :) Do have a nice photo of my son as the wallpaper, though.

I will take my digital and try to get some good shots of everything I see, though, including the unis.

I'll reserve complete judgement until I see the real physical ones. But my first instinct thinks these jerseys first came into the picture when the Maloofs were looking at Phil Jackson to come coach.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^What's your second instinct?

;)

Why on God's green earth would that have anything to do with it? If Jackson HAD for some bizarre reason decided to come to Sacramento, why on earth would he want to the Kings to look like Lakers Lite?

I don't have the time to read all 13 pages, sorry, but I have a quick question, how many times they'll be using them? (how many games for example)

And I love them. It's a change and change is always good IMO.

$-King4Life-$ said:
I don't have the time to read all 13 pages, sorry, but I have a quick question, how many times they'll be using them? (how many games for example)

In that case, you really should go back and read all 13 pages...you might find the other 3 people who like them. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
$-King4Life-$ said:

You might want to read those other 13 pages. Change is NOT always good.

Coach said:
I don't think our new uniforms look anything like the Lakers. The Lakers may claim that they are purple and gold, but we all know that they are blue and yellow.
I wouldn't use that to defend the Kings alts (if they are actually real). You'll be laughed at.

Diabeticwonder said:
I've thought about this a lot and although gold is the Lakers color I really don't see that big of a problem if the Kings use a metallic gold similar to the gold on kings.com. Sure, it may have been better to stay away from gold altogether, whatever shade or hue they may have chosen, but they didn't. I keep thinking of how so many teams use different shades of the same color. In baseball, the Dodgers and Yankees both have blue and white as their colors and they are nowhere near the same blue. More recently, in the NFL, before the Rams went to the metallic gold, their gold was about the same as the Lakers and I don't think that there was ever a problem with them and the Niners both having gold since they were so dramatically different. I think that the same will be said with the Kings and the Lakers.
The Kings don't have gold (or yellow) in their color scheme. I think that's a big difference between comparing the blue of the Dodgers and Yankees. Question is, what made the org and/or it's designers make the change now?

6th said:
Maybe less than a year. Mavs wore their alternates only once didn't they. They were pretty horrible.
Their fans sent a bunch of emails to Cuban and he did away with them. They played LA that night. I remember them looking like silver Glad bags.

Kingsgurl said:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, oh, I mean, it's for the fans, Gargamel.
Lol. I understand. Teams change their crap up every 5 years if not more frequently. On the whole, the league is keen enough to know that they should market notions of history rather than the current product they're putting out.

Gargamel said:
Their fans sent a bunch of emails to Cuban and he did away with them. They played LA that night. I remember them looking like silver Glad bags.
We played them once (during the pre-season, I believe) when they wore those. I couldn't stop laughing the entire game. It was very distracting.
E-mails already sent.

Kingsgurl said:
We played them once (during the pre-season, I believe) when they wore those. I couldn't stop laughing the entire game. It was very distracting.
E-mails already sent.
At least your org didn't buy their material from Victoria's Secret like the Nuggz did.

K

Kings241

ummm, The new uniforms are kinda wack if you ask me... Simply because their are many other colors that could of matched the Kings other then a ugly gold color. Hopefully fans reach the Maloofs and share their thoughts on the Jersey and maybe they might change them. :rolleyes:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We haven't had an official announcement yet. As has been mentioned FREQUENTLY in this thread, however, they are going to be the alternate uniforms. It's most likely they would be used on road trips - possibly about as often as the old black alternates used to be used but no formal information has been given about them.

I never expected Gold to be the color choice for the alternate jersey. We've talked about (among the hideous combinations) brown, pink and neon green for crying out loud but GOLD!. Even if I can look past the Laker implications, I've got nothing that matches with gold, so count me out of buying a jersey.

I put that I don't care one way or the other only because it's not that strong of a dislike. Last year's(I think) Hawks jersey in the neon green or the Warriors bright yellow, those I hated. If it really was because of the history of gold Sacramento and the "golden value" of the fans(I'd say platinum because we're even better than gold) then the intention has good value. I really wish that the idea was better prepared and had the fans output because in the end, fortunate or not we're the people who are buying them.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Elise10 said:
I really wish that the idea was better prepared and had the fans output because in the end, fortunate or not we're the people who are buying them.
Uh, NOT buying them, perhaps?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Some people will certainly buy them, but if the poll is any indication, a vast majority of people won't. And that will be what decides their fate.

The problem I have, Elise10, is that while the idea of history, etc. is interesting, SOMEONE should have reminded these marketing folks about the Lakers - the team from Southern California that already has a lock on the colors purple and gold.

The other complaint I've heard is that the Kings AREN'T gold - yet. They haven't won the O'Brien trophy, which is gold... It just looks a bit presumptuous to talk about us being on the "gold standard." Perhaps after the fact might have been different. Right now, however, it just looks as though we're hoping that wishing will make it so.

VF21 said:
Some people will certainly buy them, but if the poll is any indication, a vast majority of people won't. And that will be what decides their fate.

The problem I have, Elise10, is that while the idea of history, etc. is interesting, SOMEONE should have reminded these marketing folks about the Lakers - the team from Southern California that already has a lock on the colors purple and gold.

The other complaint I've heard is that the Kings AREN'T gold - yet. They haven't won the O'Brien trophy, which is gold... It just looks a bit presumptuous to talk about us being on the "gold standard." Perhaps after the fact might have been different. Right now, however, it just looks as though we're hoping that wishing will make it so.
I can certainly agree with you on both counts(although the Kings wouldn't have purple either if the Lakers had a true lock on that color. but that's another discussion entirely). I didn't automatically think Lakers when I first looked at the jersey, not until I read posts here did it come to that conclusion. Just not a present I'd want my fiance' to buy me if he wanted to.

You're right...that the Kings as a franchise haven't won the championship in the Sacramento era, yet. I truly meant that on a fanbase level. Most opposing players as well as coaches often talk about the fans right along with the team.

I'm not defending the decision of why it was chosen

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I understand what you're saying, and I even understand what I think was well-intentioned efforts on the part of the Maloofs to reach out to the fans to show how much they appreciate them.

Unfortunately, I think the "think tank" people should have put in a little more thought to how the whole concept MIGHT be misconstrued, not just how they hoped it would be taken.

As far as the purple goes, it's not the single color that's the problem IMHO. It's the combination. Our official colors are purple, silver and black. The Laker colors are purple and gold.

Anyway, we'll soon see what happens. All I know is that I do intend to buy another Kings jersey this year but that Hell will freeze over before I buy one in gold.

A wee bit more information from inside the Kings organization, but officially second-hand, on the new alternate jerseys.

First off, they are indeed alternates.

Secondly, the current plan is to wear them during 4 home games and 6 road games this season. The opposing teams will likely wear retro jerseys or alternates, if available, in those games.

Finally, the purple on the new alternates was described as a very "royal" purple, and there is silver striping down the sides of the jersey and shorts (reported by the team equipment manager). Not sure if any other striping colors are used.

I am now seeking information on the process employed to create alternates and then how the color scheme was decided upon and by whom. I do know that the NBA league office is a player in the decisionmaking process.

Again, I don't care, I neither like them nor hate them, and I believe that many of you here are off the deep end with your hatred of the Lakers and looking for anything that we do that resembles what they have. Many of you are worn down with the razzing that took place in the past from Laker fans and the devastatingly painful results inflicted on our team by the Lakers in playoff years past. I say move on and take the change in the spirit in which it was apparently formulated. It's 10 freakin' games, for god's sake.

However, I honor the fact that more than 2/3 of you are somehow, someway in the "hate" boat, so I am trying to obtain information now, if I can, to help place the whole shindig in better perspective for all.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
1kingzfan said:
Again, I don't care, I neither like them nor hate them, and I believe that many of you here are off the deep end with your hatred of the Lakers and looking for anything that we do that resembles what they have. Many of you are worn down with the razzing that took place in the past from Laker fans and the devastatingly painful results inflicted on our team by the Lakers in playoff years past. I say move on and take the change in the spirit in which it was apparently formulated. It's 10 freakin' games, for god's sake.
You know, screew the whole "Maloofs are wannabe Lakers fans" angle -- I think it might be true, and if true I think it makes them look sad, but its only part of the issue.

The OTHER part of the issue is that the Maloofs have so much chintzy Vegas in them that they apparently think dressing our guys up to look like pimps looks classy. Lucky I am not a player of theirs, because they would hear from me the first time they asked me to dress up like a showgirl.

Last edited:
VF21 said:
We haven't had an official announcement yet. As has been mentioned FREQUENTLY in this thread, however, they are going to be the alternate uniforms. It's most likely they would be used on road trips - possibly about as often as the old black alternates used to be used but no formal information has been given about them.
Thanks. THats what I wanted to know.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No problem. Apparently the "current" plan is for the Kings to wear them 4 times at home and 6 on the road. Somehow, I don't see that happening because I have the strong feeling the reception is NOT going to be what they've expected...