How do you feel about the new ALTERNATE jerseys?

How do you feel about the new "alternate" jerseys?

• Total voters
S

scandinavianheritage

Coach said:
Sorry, I must be color blind. The Lakers uniform looks blue and yellow to me. So does the Pacers uniform.

I guess that all you people who say our new uniforms look like the Lakers must also think our new uniforms look like the Pacers.

Gold makes complete sense to me -- we are the Kings. When I think of a King, I think of a gold crown. Gold and purple are the color of royalty.

If you don't like the new uniforms because you think they are ugly, I can respect that. But once you try to say they look like the Lakers uniform, you lose me.

Nope, Lakers colors are definately "purple and gold" as everyone knows, so dont try to change up and say yellow and blue, thats bush. Everyone know the Los Angeles colors are purple and gold - You know the color of World Championships. The Kings new jersey dont look exactly like the Lakers jerseys but they dont look too similar especially for being "rivals" The Kings need to establish their own identity. Their new colors are more of a brown mustard color while the Lakers are a bright GOLD color and will remain THEIR colors for many, many more years to come. Seems like the Kings change their colors and jerseys every other year anyways, so dont get used to them.

C

Coach

Kingsgurl, excellent! I think "pee yellow" is exactly the color of the Lakers uniforms. Lamar Odom is especially familiar with that color, with all the drugs tests he has to take.

I've thought about this a lot and although gold is the Lakers color I really don't see that big of a problem if the Kings use a metallic gold similar to the gold on kings.com. Sure, it may have been better to stay away from gold altogether, whatever shade or hue they may have chosen, but they didn't. I keep thinking of how so many teams use different shades of the same color. In baseball, the Dodgers and Yankees both have blue and white as their colors and they are nowhere near the same blue. More recently, in the NFL, before the Rams went to the metallic gold, their gold was about the same as the Lakers and I don't think that there was ever a problem with them and the Niners both having gold since they were so dramatically different. I think that the same will be said with the Kings and the Lakers.

Diabeticwonder said:
More recently, in the NFL, before the Rams went to the metallic gold, their gold was about the same as the Lakers and I don't think that there was ever a problem with them and the Niners both having gold since they were so dramatically different. I think that the same will be said with the Kings and the Lakers.
In the Rams case, they just changed from a golden yellow to gold..they didn't just throw in a totally different color that they never used before. I guess they wanted to get rid of the color of the LA "Lambs" that they had for so many years. ;)

Diabeticwonder said:
In baseball, the Dodgers and Yankees both have blue and white as their colors and they are nowhere near the same blue. More recently, in the NFL, before the Rams went to the metallic gold, their gold was about the same as the Lakers and I don't think that there was ever a problem with them and the Niners both having gold since they were so dramatically different. I think that the same will be said with the Kings and the Lakers.
I see your point, BUT...

1.) The Dodgers and Yankees are across the country and aren't rivals.

2.) The Rams and 49ers have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT secondary color.

Again, we're not arguing that the gold and the yellow are the same color. The point is that the COMBINATION of a goldish/yellowish color with a blue/purple color is just too SIMILAR to ignore.

D-Mass said:
You must not have watched much baseball in the late 70's and 80's then

(Just as the Lakers and Boston haven't had the ssme rivalry since the mid 80's..the feeling s are still there..for anyone who was around at the time.)

Last edited:
True (and I don't watch baseball now either), but it's not like they're in the same division and are rivals year after year (and yes, I do know that they were once essentially in the same city). I think my point is still relevant.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
scandinavianheritage said:
Nope, Lakers colors are definately "purple and gold" as everyone knows, so dont try to change up and say yellow and blue, thats bush. Everyone know the Los Angeles colors are purple and gold - You know the color of World Championships. The Kings new jersey dont look exactly like the Lakers jerseys but they dont look too similar especially for being "rivals" The Kings need to establish their own identity. Their new colors are more of a brown mustard color while the Lakers are a bright GOLD color and will remain THEIR colors for many, many more years to come. Seems like the Kings change their colors and jerseys every other year anyways, so dont get used to them.
Nice try.

D-Mass said:
I see your point, BUT...

2.) The Rams and 49ers have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT secondary color.

Again, we're not arguing that the gold and the yellow are the same color. The point is that the COMBINATION of a goldish/yellowish color with a blue/purple color is just too SIMILAR to ignore.
I understand where you are coming from especially about the secondary color. My point though is that although the colors are similar (both are shades of gold), I just don't think that they are enough alike to really think that they are that close to the Lakers. Secondly, the Dodgers and Yankees was probably the very first professional sports rivalry this nation ever had.

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
So we're the Lakers now? Disgusting....
Makes me wanna puke even thinking about it. Hey VF, couldnt you or someone write the Bee, being the fantastic moderator/spokesperson that you are for our fine site? Someone has to get the displeasure ball rolling in the media on a more public scale and let the Maloofs and the media know how much we as Kings fans are nausiated by these new 'things' that they call Kings jerseys?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think/know some pretty strong letters have already been sent to the Kings organization.

The Fandemonium event Monday should prove interesting, especially if they preview the uniforms there for the Season Ticket Holders. I'm hoping the fans there will make their displeasure known loud and clear.

VF21 said:
I think/know some pretty strong letters have already been sent to the Kings organization.

The Fandemonium event Monday should prove interesting, especially if they preview the uniforms there for the Season Ticket Holders. I'm hoping the fans there will make their displeasure known loud and clear.
:) Hopefully you're right, VF.

In person, the jersey's look much more like a light beige than yellow...They look nothing like the Lakers jersey's if you were to hold the two together... It's the connotation of Purple and Gold--which the Lakers use, even though they are really purple and yellow --that is setting people off. The comparison with the Lakers will disappear once the unis are unveiled...as far as whether people will like them though?...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Phantom said:
In It's the connotation of Purple and Gold--which the Lakers use, even though they are really purple and yellow --that is setting people off. The comparison with the Lakers will disappear once the unis are unveiled...as far as whether people will like them though?...
Time will tell...but I'm not going to be dissuaded from the idea that it was not the best marketing strategy in the world to decide to make a big deal out of PURPLE and GOLD. Those colors are taken. It's a shame someone in the Kings hierarchy apparently didn't remember that.

If our team colors are officially purple, silver and black - which they are - why wasn't some combination of that used?

If the team owners are actually trying to reach out to the fans - and I honestly think they are - then they should take the time to actually TALK to the fans first. They already make a bunch of decisions we, as fans, have to sit back and take because they do own the team. In this case, however, where it's clearly our hard-earned $$$ they're expecting to get from the sale of these jerseys, then I really firmly believe they should have considered what we would most like to spend those hard-earned $$$ on. We're paying more for tickets, we're paying more for parking, etc. Let us at least feel like we have some say - no matter how minimal it might end up being - in SOMETHING to do with this team we dearly love.

Look at it this way. If we didn't love the team, we wouldn't be raising such a fuss.

GO KINGS!!! In PURPLE!!!

;)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Well, she was good to her word - tix came in the mail today - they are her personal seats. Very generous. Can you take cameras to this thing (Fandemonium) - maybe I can take a picture or two of the alt jerseys? Never been to one of these before. What can I expect?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You can definitely take your camera.

You'll have to hear about what actually happens from some of the people who have actually been lucky enough to attend. I just live vicariously through Kingsgurl... ;)

It's changed over the years. Go early, most of the fun is well before whatever activity (they used to really scrimmage, now it's more goofing off) is the 'main event' They usually have the rookies taking tickets at the door, then will have the others at various concession stands serving food. Cameras are allowed. I'm hoping they will do something even better this year.

Yes, you may take your camera:D