How do you feel about the new ALTERNATE jerseys?

How do you feel about the new "alternate" jerseys?

• Total voters
Insomniacal Fan said:
I'm 85% sure this is a hoax.
Sigh...unfortunately that IS the real alternate jersey. I say this because this moring on the rise guys, the were talking about unveiling a new alternate jersey during Fandemonium and talked about the fans being "Golden". The theme of the even has to do with Gold....i freakin hate these jerseys!

The Maloofs are smart business people but their marketing efforts leave much to be desired. Remember when Jdub had the best sellling jersey? Yeah he was hot, but if the jersey didn't look cool, it wouldn't have sold half as much. I'm sure someone in marketing is looking at the sinking jersey sales and attributing it to the fact that we don't have marqee names anymore and not blaming it on poor jersey designs.

hrdboild said:
Look, purple is a Lakers color. It's also a Kings color. What are you going to do? That decision was made a long time ago. Gold, on the other hand, is NOT a Lakers color. Look at the color, not what it's called. The two shades are only as close as Black is to Silver or Red is to Orange, which is to say, not very close at all. I don't think Lakers when I see that jersey, and even after all of these people said how pissed they are that it looks like a Lakers jersey, I still don't think Lakers when I see that jersey. The people who posted the Wake Forest or Georgia jerseys are right. It looks like those. Lakers? Not at all. And besides, with the Kings' colors being Purple, Black, and Silver -- Gold is actually a logical choice for a new color to incorporate. It's also assymmetrical, which is always a shaky move with uniforms, but clearly the intent was to shake things up. I actually think this jersey is less ugly than that bi-color jersey from a few years ago posted earlier in this thread, but that's probably just me. But at least that jersey wasn't sissy purple. It's also not as ugly as the new Knicks jersey (posted in the other uniform topic) with the Timberwolves esque trim around the edges. Now that is a stupid looking uniform.

I know Lakers fans will rag on the Kings for whatever reason they possibly come up with. That the best thing they've got now is "hey, your jerseys are ugly, ha ha ha" is a pretty good summation of why I don't really care what they say. I don't even have to respond to that, because it's clear which is the better team, and as the argument has always gone, what happens on the court is all that matters. In fact, I want Lakers fans to bring up the new Kings' jersey. It would give me an opportunity to remind them how many games they won last year, who their starting PG and C are, the Miami Heat probably going to the Finals, the Clippers being the best team in LA, etc.

And does it really matter that fans of other teams think our teams' jerseys are stupid? Does that really bother you? If the team doesn't win, there'll be far more valid cause for the mockery which will come anyway (cause it's sports - everyone mocks the other teams) and if they do win, is a stupid thing like this going to spoil it for you?
For not responding..you've got the longest posts in this thread. ;)

I'll just post a Kings fan for my response.."The laker fans will always win. Championships speak very loudly." (Thanks ONEZERO) :D
Seriously though..if I were a Kings fan, I wouldn't like them either. It's like they just pulled the color out of nowhere. How did they come up with that?

Last edited:
Les Jepsen Fan said:
Sigh...unfortunately that IS the real alternate jersey. I say this because this moring on the rise guys, the were talking about unveiling a new alternate jersey during Fandemonium and talked about the fans being "Golden".
I was really hoping it was a joke. I hate the yellow/gold color. It's unbelieveable that they would pick something that looks so similar to the Lakers jerseys.

O

ONEZERO

You're gonna get me into a lot of trouble hoopsfan lol. Man, you don't understand the arguments I've gotten into with laker fans. They block out everything you say and just laugh while ignoring you at the same time saying, "you like the 'queens' hahahah, their never gonna win a ring hahahaha, the lakers have 3 rings in a row(I only count 1 real one, but that irrelevant right now)." Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that its not even worth arguing with laker fans cause their facts are just ridiculous. Hoopsfan, you could be an exception. For now though, I haven't seen you during the season, you might be a pain in the rear end. LOL j/k.

If the new jerseys are the same gold that is now on the website than they may not be that bad, but I still am waiting to see the real deal before passing final judgment. To me it resembles the gold from the 49ers helmets more than anything to do with the Lakers gold.

ONEZERO said:
You're gonna get me into a lot of trouble hoopsfan lol. Man, you don't understand the arguments I've gotten into with laker fans. They block out everything you say and just laugh while ignoring you at the same time saying, "you like the 'queens' hahahah, their never gonna win a ring hahahaha, the lakers have 3 rings in a row(I only count 1 real one, but that irrelevant right now)." Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that its not even worth arguing with laker fans cause their facts are just ridiculous. Hoopsfan, you could be an exception. For now though, I haven't seen you during the season, you might be a pain in the rear end. LOL j/k.
I've been here for a few seasons ONEZERO. I'm not THAT bad...right ya'll?? It's all in fun ONEZERO, afterall, it's only a game. Let's all just enjoy the new season!!:D

I suppose I am against the current here when I say that I really don't care what the jerseys look like. My only real opinion on them is that I don't care for smallish, script lettering, but hey, no big.

Thanx, Coach, for putting up the photos to show that the selected color for this new Kings jersey, gold in whatever shade it takes on IRL, is clearly not a Laker color at all. Big difference between gold and bright yellow. After reading this thread to here, I have no idea what people are "seeing"...except RED because of any inkling of resembling the garb of a truly hated competitor.

And as someone else said, who gives a rodent's rear what Laker fans say? I could care less myself. Recent results point to which team has been the better team, and I'd rest my hat on that.

You all will get over the uniforms eventually, especially if the Kings do something special this season when you will attach something good to those colors. It was a similar reaction from many here to the new road unis a while back, although not as much of the majority, and that died down pretty quickly as the season opened.

In the end, it really doesn't matter, and if indeed these will be alternates, they will be worn only a handful of times.

It's also interesting to note that no one gives the Maloofs any credit for attaching this color change to its fans, which is clear from the Fandemonium invitation and the gold and purple 6th man logo that now adorns the kings.com website. Love or hate the colors, I'll give MS&E some credit there. And yes, as VF21 said, it would have been better to draw in a cross-section of fans to provide input of alternate color schemes, but as we know, that's not how things always work in business.

I personally don't care what Laker fans say (or the media or any other fan as well), but I do understand how others might, especially Kings fans in southern california.

That doesn't mean I am okay with the jersey. Of course there is a difference between gold and yellow, but it certainly is not a big difference. That's just hyperbole. The point is that the difference between the two shades is too small.

If the Maloofs deserve credit for attaching the color change to the fans, then they deserve scorn for giving the appearance that they are trying to mold the Kings into the Lakers-North.

It's fine that several of you don't mind the new color, but you must admit that it obviously evokes comparisons to a rival hated by many. My question is why even go there?

The color of the jersey is really a trivial matter, but in this case it sends a message that I really don't like as a Kings fan.

hoopsfan said:
I've been here for a few seasons ONEZERO. I'm not THAT bad...right ya'll?? It's all in fun ONEZERO, afterall, it's only a game. Let's all just enjoy the new season!!:D

You have your moments;). Now if we can just get you to behave!

BTW, I like the look of the color scheme. If it wasn't for that one little problem...

And what makes the Kings brass think that the organization deserves to show off the gold-standard? The Kings fans might be the gold-standard in the league (although that's debatable over the last few years), but I'd say the organization gets a silver-standard for what they've done over the last 8-10 years. Wait until the championship comes to break out the gold.

Attachments

Last edited:
uolj said:
Of course there is a difference between gold and yellow, but it certainly is not a big difference. That's just hyperbole. The point is that the difference between the two shades is too small.
EXACTLY...I don't care that the colors are "clearly different".:confused: They're similar, and that's all that matters. I know it won't affect how they play and I won't like the team any less because of these jerseys.

You are free to like these jerseys...no problem with me at all. But don't claim that 65% of us are crazy for thinking they resemble Laker jerseys. THEY DO.

They just suck...end of story.

Last edited:
Not a huge fan of the new color change. However, looking at it on Kings.com makes me think that it is not like the Laker's gold, but still too close (IMHO). One of my students saw a picture of it and asked me, "So is the new name Laker Lite?" Anyway, I just hope that the actual jerseys are better than the picture.

Does anybody know what the 6 represents? The only thing I could think of was "the Sixth Man." But if that is the case, wouldn't they have wanted to get the fans' (King's sixth man) opinion before going gold?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
OK, based on the in-game photos, it looked like a Laker jersey. If it is truly the gold on the website (like a 49er gold, etc.), then I will be OK with it, if it looks good in person. The photos DO look like Laker colors, though.

Warhawk

Staff member
Got a very nice email response back from Danette, part of which includes the following:

If you will send me your mailing address by return email, I will send
you tickets to this special fan event so that you can see in person that this
Kings uniform will be metallic and nothing like the Lakers' bright yellow
The Kings "Gold Standard" color was selected to honor Kings fans, the
greatest in the world, as well as the important role of gold in the rich history
of our Sacramento region.

So it does appear that the gold will not look like the Lakers yellow as in the game screenshot.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Warhawk said:
Got a very nice email response back from Danette, part of which includes the following:

Kings uniform will be metallic and nothing like the Lakers' bright yellow.
greatest in the world, as well as the important role of gold in the rich history

So it does appear that the gold will not look like the Lakers yellow as in the game screenshot.
Nice response by Danette. I still think they are too close to Laker colors, but it is nice to know their reasoning. Fans and rich history of Sacramento region are two wonderful reasons. I still think it is a bit misguided, but their hearts were in the right place. Bottom line: That's nice, but I don't want to look anything even remotely resembling the Lakers.

hmm... much like the Tower Bridge fiasco if you ask me.... (its yellow, no its gold, no its metalic...)

I still cringe and think "EWWWW" everytime I look at either of them (the bridge and the jersey).

Warhawk

Staff member
Yeah, maybe a black or purple jersey with gold and silver trim, something tying the gold into our existing colors without looking so "Lakerish" (at least from the screenshots), would be better?

I am now going to hold my opinion until I can see them in person/on TV.

chelle said:
Does anybody know what the 6 represents? The only thing I could think of was "the Sixth Man." But if that is the case, wouldn't they have wanted to get the fans' (King's sixth man) opinion before going gold?
i think it's for 2006.

Warhawk said:

Yeah, that's the best explanation I could hope for, and it's what I expected. Unfortunately, it still doesn't address the problem.

The 6 most likely represents the Sixth Man. If you remember the old website design, depending on when you logged on different players were shown at the top of the page (much the same as the rest of the teams' web sites). Sometimes the "sixth man" was hilighted. And since the gold represents the "gold standard" and fans, it makes sense.

Warhawk said:

Great...we'll be the metallic Lakers.

I appreciate the honoring of Kings fans, but would it have been too difficult to come up with a few designs and allow the fans to vote for the one we like most? That would have truly honored the fans, and wouldn't have left us with this sorry excuse for a uniform. :mad: