Harrison Barnes

https://247sports.com/nba/mavericks...on-Barnes-and-Powell-to-talk-trade-128625513/

But the NBA world is preparing a response: By Feb. 7, leagues sources tell me, there will be at least two NBA teams that will contact the Mavs about trying to acquire Barnes and/or Powell.
Or maybe the trade calls come sooner. Predicts one team executive: "(Dallas) will start getting calls on Wednesday.''
Wednesday is the day before the deadline. Wednesday is the day that Dallas, accepting of having to live with another year of Barnes and Powell (and I don't mean to have that sound more negative than it is), will be provided an escape hatch or two. Do the Kings or the Cavs or Jazz want Barnes because of his talent?

Like I said Earlier, Mavs would like to go after Nikola Vucevic ... an unrestricted free agent this summer
I hope Vlade is one of the "two teams"

Barnes didn't shoot well over 18 attempts yesterday. If we're to trade for him, I don't want to see him taking 18 shots. He just can't seem to function that well as a primary scorer, or 2nd scorer behind Doncic.

I'd much prefer like 10-12 attempts with better efficiency.

To put it in the simplest of terms...... Harrison Barnes sucks. He's a one dimensional player with almost no intangibles. He doesn't do much to help you win. He is also paid way too much for too little return.

I think people are still looking at Harrison Barnes through the lens of when he was on the Warriors and he was the 4th or 5th option being held down Steph, Klay, Draymond, and Iggy. He was a highly touted lottery pick and very athletic with a smooth shooting stroke. He played reasonably well for the Warriors but obviously he was never going to be a #1, #2, or even #3 on that team.

Dallas gave him the big contract banking on all that potential and hoping that he would blossom getting out of all the shadows on the Warriors. I don't think Dallas realistically ever thought of him as a #1 option but I do think the hope was there that he would be a #2 and he's not that either.

Turns out Harrison Barnes just isn't that good. He's a good corner 3-Pt Shooter, occasional slasher, and ok defender but that's it.

His overall FG% is not very good and he has almost no mid-range game or ability to take people off the dribble. He's a poor rebounder for his size and position. He's almost allergic to passing averaging a paltry 1.3 Assists per game. He's a ball-stopper on offense and Dallas has been smart this year to get the ball mostly out of his hands. He only gets 0.7 Steals per game which also isn't very good for a very athletic wing player.

Barnes has also proven to be terrible in clutch situations for both the Warriors and the Mavericks. He's not a guy that handles pressure. He's also not a leader as Dallas found at the last couple years when they tried to make him one.

Long story short..........I wouldn't go anywhere near Harrison Barnes especially not with his contract.

Turns out Harrison Barnes just isn't that good. He's a good corner 3-Pt Shooter, occasional slasher, and ok defender but that's it.
Isn’t that what we want from our sf. We have our future #1, 2 and 3 options in fox Hield and Bagley. We need a full sized sf who can consistently hit the 3, slash and play defense. Yes he’s overpaid for that role but so is porter and we will overpay for most free agents. His contract is short term so there’s that too. He’s not my first choice but better option than Shump/JJ right now.

Isn’t that what we want from our sf. We have our future #1, 2 and 3 options in fox Hield and Bagley. We need a full sized sf who can consistently hit the 3, slash and play defense. Yes he’s overpaid for that role but so is porter and we will overpay for most free agents. His contract is short term so there’s that too. He’s not my first choice but better option than Shump/JJ right now.
No because I don't think Barnes would be willing to defer and be the 4th option on this team. I think he'd come in here and start taking away shots from Buddy and Bagley. Barnes takes a lot of shots and doesn't pass the ball. If all he did was just shoot corner 3's and play some defense I'd be fine with him but Barnes shoots too much.

Barnes is averaging 14.7 FG attempts per game this season which is too much for a guy that is only shooting 40% and averaging 1.3 Assists per game.

Otto Porter is a better passer, better finisher, better defender, better at playing the passing lanes. Porter I think plays within the offense better and will move the ball while not forcing shots.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
To put it in the simplest of terms...... Harrison Barnes sucks. He's a one dimensional player with almost no intangibles. He doesn't do much to help you win. He is also paid way too much for too little return.

I think people are still looking at Harrison Barnes through the lens of when he was on the Warriors and he was the 4th or 5th option being held down Steph, Klay, Draymond, and Iggy. He was a highly touted lottery pick and very athletic with a smooth shooting stroke. He played reasonably well for the Warriors but obviously he was never going to be a #1, #2, or even #3 on that team.

Dallas gave him the big contract banking on all that potential and hoping that he would blossom getting out of all the shadows on the Warriors. I don't think Dallas realistically ever thought of him as a #1 option but I do think the hope was there that he would be a #2 and he's not that either.

His overall FG% is not very good and he has almost no mid-range game or ability to take people off the dribble. He's a poor rebounder for his size and position. He's almost allergic to passing averaging a paltry 1.3 Assists per game. He's a ball-stopper on offense and Dallas has been smart this year to get the ball mostly out of his hands. He only gets 0.7 Steals per game which also isn't very good for a very athletic wing player.

Barnes has also proven to be terrible in clutch situations for both the Warriors and the Mavericks. He's not a guy that handles pressure. He's also not a leader as Dallas found at the last couple years when they tried to make him one.

Long story short..........I wouldn't go anywhere near Harrison Barnes especially not with his contract.

It's a good thing he wouldn't need to be any of those things for the Kings then. It's also difficult to fully assess his tenure in Dallas because the last 2 years he had more of the offense and it was his first real chance to be the go to for a team where the opposing defense focused on him and almost him alone. Contract wise he's way overpaid but much better than someone like Porter where he's basically expiring this year or next.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
No because I don't think Barnes would be willing to defer and be the 4th option on this team. I think he'd come in here and start taking away shots from Buddy and Bagley. Barnes takes a lot of shots and doesn't pass the ball. If all he did was just shoot corner 3's and play some defense I'd be fine with him but Barnes shoots too much.

Barnes is averaging 14.7 FG attempts per game this season which is too much for a guy that is only shooting 40% and averaging 1.3 Assists per game.

Otto Porter is a better passer, better finisher, better defender, better at playing the passing lanes. Porter I think plays within the offense better and will move the ball while not forcing shots.

I'm not sure that would be true. I think what could happen is you could see the rotation shored up a little to where Barnes gets most of his minutes with that bench unit as well. I think you'd see shots go down where they really should (Shump and JJ) and be dispersed to Barnes. The main advantage with someone like Barnes is teams would really have to pick their poison. All of Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, and Barnes could go off at any moment. Opposing defenses would have a lot of ground to cover with those guys out there at the same time.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Barnes is getting about 14 shots per game in 32 min Shumpert getting 8 in 26 min Jackson getting 5 in 21 min. So per 36 Barnes vs Iman. Barnes takes 5 more shots. I really don’t have a problem with that. Better % and better rebounding. To be honest we are really relying on Hield right now for scoring consistently. Buddy needs some help. Also we can still stretch the floor by using as pf in spots with bogie at sf. Bjelica is expendable

So, this happened... :)

At much less a cost than I think most anticipated.
Absolutely. That's why I've change my tune over it. For the packages being floated around by fans and others, I was firmly against. But for a player that wasn't even suiting up for games and JJ (who unlike many others I do like) I'm not upset at all.

I just hope he fits in as some of you guys have thought he might.

Absolutely. That's why I've change my tune over it. For the packages being floated around by fans and others, I was firmly against. But for a player that wasn't even suiting up for games and JJ (who unlike many others I do like) I'm not upset at all.

This is exactly my thought process. I wanted no part of Barnes in this thread a few days ago, but for what we gave up, it's hard to complain. Just hope he fits in with the guys on the court.

Yeah, I had hopes for JJ but the fact is we swapped a rotation piece for a starting piece. We can sign or develop another JJ and I'm sure that Burks and Bogs can fill the gap if they are leading the second team. And if Barnes isn't the long term answer, his contract is certainly up a lot sooner than Porter's.

Yeah, I had hopes for JJ but the fact is we swapped a rotation piece for a starting piece. We can sign or develop another JJ and I'm sure that Burks and Bogs can fill the gap if they are leading the second team. And if Barnes isn't the long term answer, his contract is certainly up a lot sooner than Porter's.
Gunna be hard to replace 2pts, 2rebs, 1 ast in 20 minutes.

In all seriousness, his three point celebration from the bench will be missed the most, with his endless hopping during the lineup announcement a close second.

Gunna be hard to replace 2pts, 2rebs, 1 ast in 20 minutes.

In all seriousness, his three point celebration from the bench will be missed the most, with his endless hopping during the lineup announcement a close second.
I think he had like 6.7 ppg average? But he also hustled on D and did what was asked. On nights that he shot well, he could put us over the top. Unfortunately, like more than a few of our non-core guys, consistency is a huge issue.

I think he had like 6.7 ppg average? But he also hustled on D and did what was asked. On nights that he shot well, he could put us over the top. Unfortunately, like more than a few of our non-core guys, consistency is a huge issue.
JJ was a positive energy guy, that will be missed for sure.

But, he was way to streaky and inconsistent to be a high rotation guy on a high caliber playoff team . His defense will be missed though, but I think Troy Williams will help fill his void.

My wife, even though she doesn't always watch the games with me said after we went to the Clippers game last week, "That Jackson guy is scared to shot, you can see it in his eyes, the Kings need to trade him." So, even to the casual basketball watcher, JJ was never going to be the answer to our SF void, but Barnes should be.

Wasn't a fan of JJ's game either. You just can't have 6'8" SFs that play under the rim and makes himself even smaller by scrunching his back and neck every time he shoots. Like the guy, though.

At the Kings-Lakers post xmas game - only game I've attended at G1C - I was telling my brother, a Laker fan :eek:, JJ was probably the worst rotation player in the league and he followed that by committing three stupid fouls, turnovers and missed shots (some point blank).

But, he was way to streaky and inconsistent to be a high rotation guy on a high caliber playoff team . His defense will be missed though, but I think Troy Williams will help fill his void.

My wife, even though she doesn't always watch the games with me said after we went to the Clippers game last week, "That Jackson guy is scared to shot, you can see it in his eyes, the Kings need to trade him." So, even to the casual basketball watcher, JJ was never going to be the answer to our SF void, but Barnes should be.
There were nights you could kick it back to him and he couldn't miss, but too many others where he couldn't hit a layup. I'm rooting for him, but I agree we'll replace him (if we haven't already).

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Barnes does need to step up the hustle and use his size on defense like he did with the Warriors. There are two things you will notice with JJ not on the team anymore, his movement off the ball and his defensive hustle will be missed.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I had Porter at the top of my list, and Barnes was number two, so I'm pleased, especially when you see what we had to give up. Apparently the Mav's wanted a 1st rd pick, or a better player in return, but the Kings held tight, and got the deal they wanted. At first I didn't quite understand the Shumpert trade, although I do like Burks, but when the Barnes trade happened, it made more sense. Obviously Barnes would become the starter, forcing Shump to the bench, and fewer minutes. So in a way, the Kings did Shump a favor trading him to a contender.

The Skal for Swanigan trade is a nice break for Skal, who needed a fresh start. Swanigan is an interesting player and almost the complete opposite type of player from Skal. Swanigan has a Cousins body type, and can play some bully ball around the basket, but he's also not a bad jump shooter all the way out to the threee, or at least was in college. He can certainly play some center and is a pretty good rebounder. At worse it's a trade of a player that wasn't in the rotation for a player that wasn't in the rotation.

The most important thing is that I believe the Kings got better, and are in a better position to grab that 8th spot. Who would have thunk that at the beginning of the season?

I had Porter at the top of my list, and Barnes was number two, so I'm pleased, especially when you see what we had to give up. Apparently the Mav's wanted a 1st rd pick, or a better player in return, but the Kings held tight, and got the deal they wanted. At first I didn't quite understand the Shumpert trade, although I do like Burks, but when the Barnes trade happened, it made more sense. Obviously Barnes would become the starter, forcing Shump to the bench, and fewer minutes. So in a way, the Kings did Shump a favor trading him to a contender.

The Skal for Swanigan trade is a nice break for Skal, who needed a fresh start. Swanigan is an interesting player and almost the complete opposite type of player from Skal. Swanigan has a Cousins body type, and can play some bully ball around the basket, but he's also not a bad jump shooter all the way out to the threee, or at least was in college. He can certainly play some center and is a pretty good rebounder. At worse it's a trade of a player that wasn't in the rotation for a player that wasn't in the rotation.

The most important thing is that I believe the Kings got better, and are in a better position to grab that 8th spot. Who would have thunk that at the beginning of the season?
Pretty much agree on all counts. I also imagine that we nagged Washington all season about Porter and when Dallas started their sale we shifted gears when it became obvious Barnes was out there and we were the only ones who could offer cap relief.

The other moves on the surface seem like toss ups, but they also seem like they could give the team different looks. Swanigan can maybe play that old-style Joerger ball that everyone hates and Burks should fit right in as a guy who can put up with the second unit.

At the same time, we added a starter at the spot of our most glaring hole without giving up anyone we would expect to be in a starting role next season. I'm pleased as punch. Playoffs seem very reachable now but even if we miss I feel like we're a lot better headed into next season than we were had we stood pat.

The other moves on the surface seem like toss ups, but they also seem like they could give the team different looks. Swanigan can maybe play that old-style Joerger ball that everyone hates and Burks should fit right in as a guy who can put up with the second unit.
I'm hoping he's more Montrelz Harrell than ZBo! ;)

When I had the kings/clippers game on last week my wife told me to turn the channel :-(

Swanigan maybe the the insurance if the kings cant keep Koufas or WCS in the off season or need to part ways to get other players. Personally i like Koufas on this team but he may be too expensive to keep while WCS may be worth 8-10M to keep. If he gets more elsewhere, they will likely let bot walk and keep Swanigan as the backup.