GAME THREAD: California Classic Day 2: Sacramento Kings vs. Bay Area Scum, 8 PM PST, 11 PM EST

Favorite moment of the game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trae Young has looked terrible in two games. He was my highest bust potential player. Blob strikes again :p The Hawks GM had a panic stricken look on his face when he was interviewed LOL. I think he is seeing his career pass before his eyes. Poor guy. There is a requisite level of athleticism you need to compete against NBA caliber athletes. Young lacks it. Even though he has a beautiful shot pulling up 5 feet behind the line is absurd. Curry will launch from that deep when he gets hot. Young launches 30 footers even when his ice cold. Insane!

Last edited:
Theres tons of better small forwards available next year, Middleton being my fav.

If the squad turns things around this year and proves they are playoff bound, maybe we will have a shot at him or the others. I like our odds.
Middleton would be great to add.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Before the draft I declared a three man core of Buddy, Fox and Boggy with a bunch of guys trying to figure it out. I think that core has been doubled after one pre-season game. :) I heard something interesting that Mason was battling plantar fasciatis last season. I didn't know this. I have had this injury it is debilitating. When you try to explode the arch of your foot will not cooperate. It only heals through rest. It is NO wonder Mason was getting stifled on drives to the hoop! A healthy Mason is a force. His low center of gravity and strength lets him get where he wants. He's a player opponents do NOT like to play against. He has poise, tenacity and fundamentals to be really really good. Mason looked great out of the gate with starting PG capabilities. Then he stopped being able to get quality looks at the rim. Well now we know why.

Six Man Core:
  • Fox
  • Boggy
  • Buddy
  • Mason
  • Bagley
  • Giles
Striking out on Mario as 7th man to this core was a BLOW. I can't blame him for choosing the Big Apple but a more persuasive front office with an aggressive recruiting campaign would have closed the deal. The Kings could have sold Mario on following in the footsteps of two time All Star Peja. How compelling would that be if properly presented in movie trailer format? Alas the Kings lack this irresistible salesmanship. The contingent could have flown to Mario and knocked his socks off. I doubt they did more than connect with agent via Skype. Anyway this is water under the bridge but an unfortunate turn of events after the success of the draft. LaVine and Hood become the next likely targets but as RFAs they are harder gets.
I liked this and then had to unlike it, as I patently disagree with the second half. I think Hezonja was set on heading to the Knicks all along. You can bash the front office for not trying but I don't think there's any evidence to support it would have mattered. And that's if you agree MH would have been all that for the Kings -a premise I don't choose to accept.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Before the draft I declared a three man core of Buddy, Fox and Boggy with a bunch of guys trying to figure it out. I think that core has been doubled after one pre-season game. :) I heard something interesting that Mason was battling plantar fasciatis last season. I didn't know this. I have had this injury it is debilitating. When you try to explode the arch of your foot will not cooperate. It only heals through rest. It is NO wonder Mason was getting stifled on drives to the hoop! A healthy Mason is a force. His low center of gravity and strength lets him get where he wants. He's a player opponents do NOT like to play against. He has poise, tenacity and fundamentals to be really really good. Mason looked great out of the gate with starting PG capabilities. Then he stopped being able to get quality looks at the rim. Well now we know why.

Six Man Core:
  • Fox
  • Boggy
  • Buddy
  • Mason
  • Bagley
  • Giles
Striking out on Mario as 7th man to this core was a BLOW. I can't blame him for choosing the Big Apple but a more persuasive front office with an aggressive recruiting campaign would have closed the deal. The Kings could have sold Mario on following in the footsteps of two time All Star Peja. How compelling would that be if properly presented in movie trailer format? Alas the Kings lack this irresistible salesmanship. The contingent could have flown to Mario and knocked his socks off. I doubt they did more than connect with agent via Skype. Anyway this is water under the bridge but an unfortunate turn of events after the success of the draft. LaVine and Hood become the next likely targets but as RFAs they are harder gets.
I'm not as much of a fan of Mason. Part of the reason the ball stopped at times last night was because of Mason. Christie made mention of this in the last game, and I think he was right on the money. Too often I see him not making the pass that is available, but instead driving to the basket in traffic. This is not what you want with Bagley and Giles now main cogs in the machine.

Fox is too good for SummerLeague. No point in having him out there. Let Mason run the team and feature the young bigs more.
When you go 1 for 6 from 3 you aren’t too good for summer league.

Fox has always been able to go end to end and finish. The fact he does it against a bunch of D leaguers is Meh. What we need to see tonight from Fox is can he run a pick and roll and make the defender pay for going under the pick, can he collapse a defense and find open 3 point shooters, does he make the right rotations on defense, does he find players early standing alone begging for the ball.

Fox has always been able to go end to end and finish. The fact he does it against a bunch of D leaguers is Meh. What we need to see tonight from Fox is can he run a pick and roll and make the defender pay for going under the pick, can he collapse a defense and find open 3 point shooters, does he make the right rotations on defense, does he find players early standing alone begging for the ball.

B
U
Z
Z

K
I
L
L

Must have been exciting at the G1 center yesterday. I like what I'm hearing / seeing especially with our young bigs. I believe they will bring relevance back to the bigman.

Iv'e never been a believer in JJ, sorry to say. Would rather just roll with Jakarr or maybe Wenlen at this point unless Vlade surprises with a quality SF soon.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

We aren't seeing anything from Fox tonight...or probably Thursday...or in Vegas.

hm. sore achilles. all that extra weight on his frame and the explosive nature of his movements not good for it.
had issues during the season as well with different injuries, hope this is not a sign of things to come and we do not have a fragile pg..

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hm. sore achilles. all that extra weight on his frame and the explosive nature of his movements not good for it.
had issues during the season as well with different injuries, hope this is not a sign of things to come and we do not have a fragile pg..
Don't read too much into this. They don't need to see Fox right now. Why not let Daxter have a bit more play to see what he can do? This is pre-summer league.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Or pretend going end to end against G leaguers is impressive
You lost me with that one. I was actually agreeing with your statement that it was better to keep Fox out even if he's just questionable, although I was sure some would immediately panic about him not playing.

how is that a buzz kill? any critique of one of the worst teams in the league can't be considered a buzz kill. I want the Kings to turn the franchise around, but come on, let's not delude ourselves.
Fox played last night and dominated. Put up 23/8/6/3 and shot 60% from the floor. Probably didn't deserve a "critique" after that performance.

Fox played last night and dominated. Put up 23/8/6/3 and shot 60% from the floor. Probably didn't deserve a "critique" after that performance.
You right. Fox looked great. I was especially impressed w/ his defense. But i'm just speaking of critiques in general; folks seem a bit oversensitive and quick to claim buzzkill for well deserved caution on any optimism.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You right. Fox looked great. I was especially impressed w/ his defense. But i'm just speaking of critiques in general; folks seem a bit oversensitive and quick to claim buzzkill for well deserved caution on any optimism.
This is the GAME 2 thread. Let's focus, mmmmkay?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I kinda like the bright-colored shoes. Makes it easier to tell the players without my glasses on. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.