Free Agency

if you agree the contract is a net negative I agree. But I don’t think it is
Here's the thing.

You are gambling someone may want him after the kicker for 19.5-20 million a year. Ok, not very many people think we are in a position to make the playoffs this season, plus he'd have to agree on a trade.

How much of an asset return do you think is reasonable we would get if we kept him and dealt him later?

A protected first maybe? Also taking on worse loot at the same time in that scenario probably.

For a 4 year gamble considering Fox's new contract, and Buddy + Barnes?

I’m not sure there is a big leap with Bagley. He is flirting with bust territory. The good news is we structured contracts thinking we would have to pay him and I doubt we will.
yeh I’m not sold on him either but there is still a chance he could improve. At this point he either needs to rise to stardom or settle in as an energy big who fetches a non star contract. My fear with him is he starts averaging 20 and 10 with no defense or ability to make his teammates better and we get pressured into signing him for Gordon Hayward money. Still too early to know how Monte views him and obviously he is a long way off from 20 and 10.

Here's the thing.

You are gambling someone may want him after the kicker for 19.5-20 million a year. Ok, not very many people think we are in a position to make the playoffs this season, plus he'd have to agree on a trade.

How much of an asset return do you think is reasonable we would get if we kept him and dealt him later?

A protected first maybe?

For a 4 year gamble considering Fox's new contract, and Buddy + Barnes?
at worst case a year you trade Bogi by adding a second and dump him which really isn’t much different than what would happen now. If anything OKC has proven the value of not losing assets. A year ago everyone assumed they would have to attach a first to move Chris Paul.

if the Kings have a contract to worry about its Fox’s. If that kid doesn’t learn to shoot it could be ugly.

Last edited:
Luka’s situation as a 19 year old in the NBA draft and Bogi’s as a 28 year old with loads of injuries and three years of already being in the NBA aren’t even remotely comparable situations.
That's not the point he was making, and I'm fairly sure you know that.

For a smart guy, you really do like making disingenuous posts. You regularly do it; intentionally misinterpreting people's posts and replying with related but irrelevant points that don't address the point being made.

The issue is that there’s still a minutes crunch with a three guard lineup. Buddy and Bogi already weren’t seeing enough time last season even with Fox injured most of the season. Now you add another couple of guards to the situation?
because Barnes played three.

Bagley moves to center and either gets better or gets dumped. Kings were way worse when he played last year. Barnes and Beli play the 4.

You then have 96 minutes to split between Bogi, Buddy and Haliburton

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That's not the point he was making, and I'm fairly sure you know that.

For a smart guy, you really do like making disingenuous posts. You regularly do it; intentionally misinterpreting people's posts and replying with related but irrelevant points that don't address the point being made.
No, I legitimately don’t know what argument he was making because he was talking about people ripping on FIBA but Bogi’s been in the NBA for three seasons so we can’t act like FIBA Bogi is going to show up at this point.

This isn't letting him walk for nothing. The MIL deal fell apart through no fault of the Kings. The trade kicker that ATL put in essentially makes it too expensive to bring Bogi back and then trade him later. It was smart on Atlanta's part to make sure we didn't just match and trade Bogi later to another team.
“Smart” is one way of putting it. Over the next 2 years they’ll owe nearly $80mm per to Bogi, Gallinari, Dedmon, Capela & Rondo.

Bagley moves to center and either gets better or gets dumped. Kings were way worse when he played last year. Barnes and Beli play the 4.

We are stuck with Barnes most likely, bad contract, not precisely an albatross, may be able to move it in the right scenario.

But if Bjelica is on the team post deadline it's bad asset management.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

So we aren’t playing Cojo, DQJ, James, Woodard, or Ramsey either?

@Tetsujin. The board errored when I tried responding and I can’t find you original response to me asking who i thought the Kings were better than in regards to my observation that the Kings aren’t tanking or in play for a top 3 pick in the next draft.

My response
They are better than atleast half the teams in the East and the records will reflect that by seasons end and I definitely like our roster better than San Antonio, OKC, Minnesota. The Kings are in that Portland, Phoenix, Memphis, and NO tier. If those teams are to be better than the Kings next season..it won’t be by a significant margin and I’m not entirely sure all of them will be. I think the Kings are more talented than Memphis for example. New Orleans a lot of appealing young players but no evidence that they are an even roster poised to make a significant leap...but nevertheless I expect the Kings to be within a few games of all of them whether it’s + or - Kings maybe worse if they lose Bogdan even then I still expect to see them worst case scenario in the 9-12 range The team isn’t being blown up and no reason to indicate that are tanking despite the insistence I’m seeing that they are. We still have some key players that are expected or capable of making a leap. We did just have a consensus top 8 and a talented player considered NBA ready fall to us at 12. I’m just not seeing an 17-20 win season on the horizon...again, worst case scenario I expect maybe 28 wins but this will be a shortened season so that will be converted into the team simply not improving and several teams will finish much worse. I’m personally not ruling out the team improving.

yeh I’m not sold on him either but there is still a chance he could improve. At this point he either needs to rise to stardom or settle in as an energy big who fetches a non star contract. My fear with him is he starts averaging 20 and 10 with no defense or ability to make his teammates better and we get pressured into signing him for Gordon Hayward money. Still too early to know how Monte views him and obviously he is a long way off from 20 and 10.
im guessing he sees him as a energy big who can’t shoot which is currently what he is. Bagley moves to the 5 and either he fishes or we cut bait.

leaves plenty of room at the 4 for Barnes. We will be like Houston trying to outscore people just without Harden.

@Tetsujin. The board errored when I tried responding and I can’t find you original response to me asking who i thought the Kings were better than in regards to my observation that the Kings aren’t tanking or in play for a top 3 pick in the next draft.

My response
They are better than atleast half the teams in the East and the records will reflect that by seasons end and I definitely like our roster better than San Antonio, OKC, Minnesota. The Kings are in that Portland, Phoenix, Memphis, and NO tier.
If those teams are to be better than the Kings next season..it won’t be by a significant margin and I’m not entirely sure all of them will be. I think the Kings are more talented than Memphis for example. New Orleans a lot of appealing young players but no evidence that they are an even roster poised to make a significant leap...but nevertheless I expect the Kings to be within a few games of all of them whether it’s + or - Kings maybe worse if they lose Bogdan even then I still expect to see them worst case scenario in the 9-12 range The team isn’t being blown up and no reason to indicate that are tanking despite the insistence I’m seeing that they are. We still have some key players that are expected or capable of making a leap. We did just have a consensus top 8 and a talented player considered NBA ready fall to us at 12. I’m just not seeing an 17-20 win season on the horizon...again, worst case scenario I expect maybe 28 wins but this will be a shortened season so that will be converted into the team simply not improving and several teams will finish much worse. I’m personally not ruling out the team improving.

Well if people think this is true, then I understand why they want Bogi and Buddy to stay. 100% disagree about where we're at, but at least that makes sense.

So we aren’t playing Cojo, DQJ, James, Woodard, or Ramsey either?
Prob just cojo. Others will go to g league or garbage mins. Kings fans tend to over value their second round picks. They’re their late for a reason. Not every second rounder is IT or draymond. Let’s see if they stick in the league first then slowly give them minutes if they earn it.

Prob just cojo. Others will go to g league or garbage mins. Kings fans tend to over value their second round picks. They’re their late for a reason. Not every second rounder is IT or draymond. Let’s see if they stick in the league first then slowly give them minutes if they earn it.
Send them out there, see what we have. Why not? What is over valued is meddling vets adrift without a sail and then realizing we've had our anchor set for 14 years on top of that expecting things to change.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
woodard is a late first round talent by most draft evaluator’s estimations who fell for completely unknown reasons. DQJ proved in the bubble that we need to at least give him a chance to show us more. Ramsey was one of the more polarizing figure in this class with some leaving him off their boards and others ranking him a lotto pick.
I know years of watching Vlade randomly pick Vanja and Guy in the second round have desensitized people to the value of a good second rounder but there’s a reason people were praising the kings draft class is year.