Free Agency

@Tetsujin. The board errored when I tried responding and I can’t find you original response to me asking who i thought the Kings were better than in regards to my observation that the Kings aren’t tanking or in play for a top 3 pick in the next draft.

My response
They are better than atleast half the teams in the East and the records will reflect that by seasons end and I definitely like our roster better than San Antonio, OKC, Minnesota.

The Kings are in that Portland, Phoenix, Memphis, and NO tier. If those teams are to be better than the Kings next season..it won’t be by a significant margin and I’m not entirely sure all of them will be. I think the Kings are more talented than Memphis for example.

New Orleans a lot of appealing young players but no evidence that they are an even roster poised to make a significant leap...but nevertheless I expect the Kings to be within a few games of all of them whether it’s + or - Kings maybe worse if they lose Bogdan even then I still expect to see them worst case scenario in the 9-12 range The team isn’t being blown up and no reason to indicate that are tanking despite the insistence I’m seeing that they are. We still have some key players that are expected or capable of making a leap. We did just have a consensus top 8 and a talented player considered NBA ready fall to us at 12. I’m just not seeing an 17-20 win season on the horizon...again, worst case scenario I expect maybe 28 wins but this will be a shortened season so that will be converted into the team simply not improving and several teams will finish much worse. I’m personally not ruling out the team improving.
paragraphs my friend..

San Antonio’s guards played well and Vassell was both a good player and a good fit for them. San Antonio also has Pop who is worth a few wins. Given they beat us in the bubble not sure how you feel they are clearly better.

Minnesota has a top 5 center, Russell backed up by Rubio, and the number 1 overall pick. They are clearly a toss-up. OKC we agree

I disagree on more talented than Memphis. If JJJ stays healthy he is a very good player and Ja and Fox are similar. Portland signed two wings to go with their other assets and are significantly better than us. Nurkic, Dame and CJ alone put them in a better tier not to mention who they got in free agency.

If you are talking who would play better next to Haliburton a low IQ player like Buddy makes Haliburton worse.

Buddy’s contract was one of many things Vlade did to F this team. It’s going to take time to fix.

Too be fair Buddy only allowed to touch the ball when it’s time to shoot is a better fit with Haliburton. But in Luke’s system everyone moves and thinks making Buddy a disaster (as is Bagley). At this point losing a reasonably priced asset makes no sense.
I have a theory that the above was why he was put on the ball. Off-ball, he was making bad or non-reads. On ball, he’s at least doing something and the smarter players can read off of what he’s doing. Of course, no one would ever acknowledge that, but it dovetails with his benching when our backcourt got healthy. And, again, Fox (and probably Barnes) had to concur with Buddy off the bench.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Again, you know that's not the only option. McNair may want to bring Bogi back to get value down the line and trade Buddy in the meantime. Retaining Bogi doesn't mean we're not rebuilding.
The thing is that I think it is. The spending frenzy this off-season has put pretty much every team in the league aside from the Knicks into some varying degree of Cap Hell. If we sign Bogi now, Atlanta (ie the team showing the most interest him) isn’t allowed to acquire him for a full season and the other teams that were rumored to like him don’t have the space to easily fit him in in a trade, especially with the initial kicker in effect for a year. The same goes for Buddy.

you’d essentially be paying two guards to take minutes from the guy you actually want to play with no actual hope of getting rid of both of them. One, maybe, but not both.

So we aren’t playing Cojo, DQJ, James, Woodard, or Ramsey either?
CoJo backs up Fox. 48 times 2 is 96 minutes. I doubt those three will average 32 minutes each. Assume they average 28 that gives DQJ 12 minutes.

Woodard and Ramsey with no summer league need to play in Stockton and develop their games. James if he hasn’t learned to shoot is just yet another wasted Vlade pick.

woodard is a late first round talent by most draft evaluator’s estimations who fell for completely unknown reasons. DQJ proved in the bubble that we need to at least give him a chance to show us more. Ramsey was one of the more polarizing figure in this class with some leaving him off their boards and others ranking him a lotto pick.
I know years of watching Vlade randomly pick Vanja and Guy in the second round have desensitized people to the value of a good second rounder but there’s a reason people were praising the kings draft class is year.
Woodard and Ramsey are coming in with no summer camp, no time to read learn the system, and a Covid impacted training camp. They are good potential young players who will be lucky to find the bathroom much less the floor for the first 4 months.

Haliburton will be in the same boat which is even more reason to keep Bogi around this year. Bogi can at least talk to him on an intelligent basis and help get him up to speed.

because Barnes played three.

Bagley moves to center and either gets better or gets dumped. Kings were way worse when he played last year. Barnes and Beli play the 4.

You then have 96 minutes to split between Bogi, Buddy and Haliburton
This. 3-guards, and Bagley at 5. We’ll play open again and be an absolute sieve on defense. Top 5 pick assured.

I don’t understand why folks don’t see we’re going to have a fire sale at the deadline. Some contender will come in for Bogi then, and odds are that he concurs and waives the kicker to facilitate, because playing with Jokic, Giannis or Kawhi would be pretty cool.

As they should be. No more half measures. No more “I had a better trade yesterday”. Rip off the band-aid and get building.
Yes, a Breaking Bad reference.
Yeah it would have been great to spin some consideration out of Bogdan but either way. I trust McNair is nothing like the village idiot, he had a great draft, he almost got us Donte for Bogdan, and appears to be building an exciting young team around Fox.
Not expecting many wins next year but as we all know its a promising draft

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Woodard and Ramsey are coming in with no summer camp, no time to read learn the system, and a Covid impacted training camp. They are good potential young players who will be lucky to find the bathroom much less the floor for the first 4 months.

Haliburton will be in the same boat which is even more reason to keep Bogi around this year. Bogi can at least talk to him on an intelligent basis and help get him up to speed.
As opposed to the nonsense noises and gobbledegook and contempt with which the rest of his teammates would greet him?

If we take a look act the draft order from this year who ahead of us is likely to “fall” past us next year?

Atlanta for sure.
Phoenix for sure
Golden state Almost for sure

The Spurs will initially but if they are smart, and they are they will trade Lamarcus and Derozan at the break to start a rebuild so I expect they will still be ahead of us.

Minnesota has way more talent but the pieces don’t fit at least not yet. They will drop but not sure past us.
Okc is likely to be ahead of us.

That likely puts us around 10th.

I think we've given it enough time to see that our Buddy/Bogi SG tandem has not lead to a significant enough increase in wins to keep running with it. And that it's definitely not worth paying $40-45 million a year for. If we want to continue to have sub .500 seasons, we match. Potentially locking ourselves in cap hell just so we can say at least we didn't lose him for nothing isn't a winning move. Yeah, it sucks, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving on from Buddy either if Walton can't get it through his head that Buddy is not going to be a competent ball handler/playmaker no matter how hard he tries to force it.

I personally think Atlanta fans are going to be disappointed when they see NBA Bogi is not the same player as FIBA Bogi.

CoJo backs up Fox. 48 times 2 is 96 minutes. I doubt those three will average 32 minutes each. Assume they average 28 that gives DQJ 12 minutes.

Woodard and Ramsey with no summer league need to play in Stockton and develop their games. James if he hasn’t learned to shoot is just yet another wasted Vlade pick.
Are we sure there is going to be a G League season?

This. 3-guards, and Bagley at 5. We’ll play open again and be an absolute sieve on defense. Top 5 pick assured.

I don’t understand why folks don’t see we’re going to have a fire sale at the deadline. Some contender will come in for Bogi then, and odds are that he concurs and waives the kicker to facilitate, because playing with Jokic, Giannis or Kawhi would be pretty cool.
Nope, ATL put a poison pill trade kicker. And Bogi would have to agree to go to the team in the first place.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Are we sure there is going to be a G League season?
Right. The overlying narrative that seems to be getting forgotten here is that this season is largely going to be played in the midst of the greatest international medical crisis in 100 years.
There won’t be fans at games, G-League might not happen, players are going to be missing games left and right for positive COVID tests.
If there were ever a year to rip off the bandaid and cut losses, this is it

Right. The overlying narrative that seems to be getting forgotten here is that this season is largely going to be played in the midst of the greatest international medical crisis in 100 years.
There won’t be fans at games, G-League might not happen, players are going to be missing games left and right for positive COVID tests.
If there were ever a year to rip off the bandaid and cut losses, this is it
Yes, but don’t forget Buddy already had COVID-19, so he may be immune, which should boost his trade value ;).

Unless harden walks through that door we’re gonna be a bottom 5 team so this is another rebuild no matter what
I'll just repeat my earlier post.

For one of the biggest Bogi fans you sure have little faith in him.

I don't like Bogi but it's pretty obvious he's good enough to make you better to a certain extent. We always hear "We're going to suck anyway" but what always happens? We end up in the 7th or 8th lottery spot (or move up by pure dumb luck like Vlade, but the point stands).

Bottom the eff out already.

The thing is that I think it is. The spending frenzy this off-season has put pretty much every team in the league aside from the Knicks into some varying degree of Cap Hell. If we sign Bogi now, Atlanta (ie the team showing the most interest him) isn’t allowed to acquire him for a full season and the other teams that were rumored to like him don’t have the space to easily fit him in in a trade, especially with the initial kicker in effect for a year. The same goes for Buddy.

you’d essentially be paying two guards to take minutes from the guy you actually want to play with no actual hope of getting rid of both of them. One, maybe, but not both.
Reminds me of what was it 2016?

Like who overpays Mozgov at 12:01

Wouldn't be surprised down the road if we see an amnesty clause like once every 4-5 years sorta thing to be permanent.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
luke is still the coach is he not.
He is but unlike most other coaches, he appears to be like an NFL coach in that he has coordinators to run his offensive and defensive schemes. Last year it was Igor and Bob Beyer. This year, Gentry and Rex. Luke is in charge of the rotations and the like which isn’t exactly a shining endorsement of him.