Free Agency Thread - 2018

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think that 111.9 million includes the Cavs cap hold for Hood. To push the Cavs over the Luxury Tax, we would probably need to give our whole 19.5 mil of our remaining cap.
I think you're right. And I think that's the only way the Cavs wouldn't match. I'd have to check to be sure but they were over the cap last year so I think they'd face a higher luxury tax if they ended up being over it again this year.

EDIT: Oops. Never mind. I just saw jkbiker's latest post.

This thread has turned into a Vlade bashing for every FA signing even if it’s been weeks since legit players have signed. You guys are like bashing the man for not picking up scraps! At this point, free agents are the worst move to do. Otherwise teams have already offeref them nice contracts.
It’s better to do trades at this point, esp if we want a starter quality

No I checked spotrac, the 111.3 includes 13 players including the 2 non-guaranteed , before Hood

so 13 mil puts them into the tax, but they could dump Perkins 2.5m but then would need a cheap rookie 14 min roster spots at 1.5mil
to get 14 right at the tax line - maybe 14 would put them into tax for sure? we would still have money to hunt down a third PG from Summer League

Oh yeah tie up Gabriel on a 2 way please
Ok. Sounds good.

To make sure we get Hood to sign. We could do a 2 year $30 mil contract and front load the first year.

I don't think there are many free agent back up point guards better than Frank Mason left on the market (sans Marcus Smart). We will probably just roll with Mason as the back up PG.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Ok. Sounds good.

To make sure we get Hood to sign. We could do a 2 year $30 mil contract and front load the first year.

I don't think there are many free agent back up point guards better than Frank Mason left on the market (sans Marcus Smart). We will probably just roll with Mason as the back up PG.
I think the fact that we have Mason, Bogdan and temple probably makes backup pg as important. In fact I’d like to see more bogdan at pg with heild at sg and jj at sf sometimes when Fox is sitting. That would spread the floor nicely. Could bring Bagley in and him have plenty of space to work with

Ok. Sounds good.

Vlade could essentially muscle a deal with hood by literally making an offer that he can't refuse and no one can match, but is that what you do to get Rodney Hood? his performance this year especially in the playoffs was anything but spectacular I'm not opposed to hiring him but I think that we're looking at numbers that are crazy for a guy of his skill level. But what you hit on his two secret truth that the Vlade critics want to ignore and that is that at this point Vlade Divac watts is the most powerful GM in the league simply because he's the only one that can actually sign someone to a large contract and there for anyone who wants to get anything done is probably going to need his help. I said at the beginning of the offseason that I really hoped he would keep his powder dry not to something stupid and sign the someone to a long-term contract that was just not the guy you wanted to have around long-term. There's no reason to spend money just to spend money I'm not even sure that signing Rodney Hood for 2 years at 10 million dollars or more a season makes more sense than just bring back Vince Carter for one more road trip.

Vlade could essentially muscle a deal with hood by literally making an offer that he can't refuse and no one can match, but is that what you do to get Rodney Hood? his performance this year especially in the playoffs was anything but spectacular I'm not opposed to hiring him but I think that we're looking at numbers that are crazy for a guy of his skill level. But what you hit on his two secret truth that the Vlade critics want to ignore and that is that at this point Vlade Divac watts is the most powerful GM in the league simply because he's the only one that can actually sign someone to a large contract and there for anyone who wants to get anything done is probably going to need his help. I said at the beginning of the offseason that I really hoped he would keep his powder dry not to something stupid and sign the someone to a long-term contract that was just not the guy you wanted to have around long-term. There's no reason to spend money just to spend money I'm not even sure that signing Rodney Hood for 2 years at 10 million dollars or more a season makes more sense than just bring back Vince Carter for one more road trip.
Seeing that Hood has proven to be a scoring forward in the league and is still pretty young (25) and fits into our time frame, I don't think that a 2 year offer at a little above market (to make sure Cleveland doesn't match) is unreasonable.

Before he was sucked into the LeBron world of everyone has to give up their game to fit in with him world, he was headed for a nice pay day this summer.

If we trade the cap space for a salary dump, you would most likely be getting a future late 1st round pick (ie OKC) for our troubles.

I don't think $15 million a year for a short 2 years is a gross overpay for a legit scorer in the NBA and he can play small forward, a position of need.

If he can help us get back to respectability, that also helps the Kings get better free agents next summer, when we have a boat load of money.

Seeing that Hood has proven to be a scoring forward in the league and is still pretty young (25) and fits into our time frame, I don't think that a 2 year offer at a little above market (to make sure Cleveland doesn't match) is unreasonable.

Before he was sucked into the LeBron world of everyone has to give up their game to fit in with him world, he was headed for a nice pay day this summer.

If we trade the cap space for a salary dump, you would most likely be getting a future late 1st round pick (ie OKC) for our troubles.

I don't think $15 million a year for a short 2 years is a gross overpay for a legit scorer in the NBA and he can play small forward, a position of need.

If he can help us get back to respectability, that also helps the Kings get better free agents next summer, when we have a boat load of money.
I certainly can see your point. And Utah he was good for 17 a game. And if the move is to force a deal on him that means we overpay a bit sure I won't whine, but as soon as he does that he loses the power to broker deals with other teams that are over the cap and that could be a path to Bringing In a much more serious threat at the three. Just something to think about.

I certainly can see your point. And Utah he was good for 17 a game. And if the move is to force a deal on him that means we overpay a bit sure I won't whine, but as soon as he does that he loses the power to broker deals with other teams that are over the cap and that could be a path to Bringing In a much more serious threat at the three. Just something to think about.
Agreed...that’s what I’ve been saying. Play poker, look for more or trade, if it doesn’t materialize, roll with Temple, JJ, Shumpert, Jakarr and wait for trade deadline.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Sg overload. We have 4 on the roster all of them have started at one point in their career. I still don’t understand the lavine offer. Def not swaggy.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
On paper Convington looks like everything we want but everytime I watch him I'm amazed he made an All-NBA defensive team (let alone 1st team) what do the advanced stats (I know we got stat guru's on here) say about him? I've just never been impressed by his defense aside from his steals and he's shot below 40% FG his entire career nearly for a 6'8 physical specimen he seems a bit soft and his performances in the playoffs were pathetic.

On the plus side his contract is really good he won't make more than 12million a season, he's a low usage guy/ good fit exactly on paper what we need but I don't know it's certainly probably better than anything we could get at this point. If we could trade for Rob and somehow sign Smart as well that would be crazy.

I would take him but I'm not sure he's as good as advertised.

Interestingly (I'm not advocating for or against, I lean towards saving for a meaningful trade) it says his 5 year market value is just shy of 18 per and we're talking about 13-14 for a 2 year deal to see if it causes Cleveland to think twice. So that could still be a win, if you play those games.
I'm not sure what you're looking at, but the "five-year market value" number I see is total, not per season. For example, while Hood's number is $17.9M, Marcus Smart's is $134.2M. I don't take this number as an end-all, be-all, but 538's model does not seem to like Hood.

Realgm sixers/Kings/Spurs team forum thinks we're part of a 3 way deal where Kawhi lands at Philly and Philly dump us Covington.
I posted this on july 7th after chris sheridan from espn wrote an article on it.

Post #68 in Who should be our starting sf thread:
https://www.getmoresports.com/sheridan-kawhi-leonard-holding-san-antonio-spurs-culture-hostage/

Chris sheridn thinks we can help facilitate kawhi to 76ers and get covington and pick for our cap space.

I think he might be on to something.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm not sure what you're looking at, but the "five-year market value" number I see is total, not per season. For example, while Hood's number is $17.9M, Marcus Smart's is $134.2M. I don't take this number as an end-all, be-all, but 538's model does not seem to like Hood.
Ooooh, crap. I did not catch that! I only looked at Hood's page and assumed that was a per year.

Might as well stand pat. Covington is nothing more than a stop gap. Poor shooter and was a ghost in the playoffs. Not interested in taking on his 12 mil. He’s also 28. Rather spend it on Hood. More scoring and younger

Might as well stand pat. Covington is nothing more than a stop gap. Poor shooter and was a ghost in the playoffs. Not interested in taking on his 12 mil. He’s also 28. Rather spend it on Hood. More scoring and younger
Covington would be a perfect fit on the Kings IMO. He is a very good defensive player and solid rebounder at the 3. He has a low usage rate, which would be good with Fox and Bogie. And while his overall shooting isn't good, he takes over 60% of his shots from 3pt range and is a career 36% 3pt shooter. He is also under contract for the next 4 years. That is more than just a stop gap.

Covington would be a perfect fit on the Kings IMO. He is a very good defensive player and solid rebounder at the 3. He has a low usage rate, which would be good with Fox and Bogie. And while his overall shooting isn't good, he takes over 60% of his shots from 3pt range and is a career 36% 3pt shooter. He is also under contract for the next 4 years. That is more than just a stop gap.

? Do you understand what you're saying. Kings were Ranked 30th(Last) in PPg in 2017-18 Fox is Not a good shooter. He may be high usage, but has not shown, yet that he can lead an offense. Are you seeing something I am not. Your comments are speculative, not factual. I understand Covington is a nice defensive player. But, this team needs scoring. Kings are the absolute worse offensive scoring team in the league. People think Bogi and Hield are the next Harden/Gordon. Kings have a bad defense. But, their offense is just as abysmal. Covington is also 28. Not exactly fitting the time line of this team. But, yes it would be be another dumb move by Vlade. So, Yes, I can see this happening. Team needs scoring.